BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 9:44:58 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

https://www.electrical-forensics.com/Receptacles/F10-052/LevitonDuplexReceptacle-LG.jpg

The picture on the right, notice the four holes. Those allow wire to be "backstabbed" into the receptacle. Most electricians don't like to do that, as it isn't as secure as looping the wire and clamping it with the screw from the side, especially with heat cycling.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
For DIYers and women who watched a "remodel" on HGTV and now think they're electricians.

That must be me because I have no idea what's going on in here.

https://www.electrical-forensics.com/Receptacles/F10-052/LevitonDuplexReceptacle-LG.jpg

The picture on the right, notice the four holes. Those allow wire to be "backstabbed" into the receptacle. Most electricians don't like to do that, as it isn't as secure as looping the wire and clamping it with the screw from the side, especially with heat cycling.

Thank you for explaining
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 9:47:08 AM EDT
[#2]
When we built we ran a single run of 14ga to a lights-only circuit in the kitchen. Codes made us pull it and put back 12ga.

Point being, backstabbing isn’t really even an option in my county. Unless there’s a 12ga backstab outlet I don’t know about.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 9:54:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Backstabbing is for 14 AWG, real electricians always use 12 AWG.

View Quote

Backstabbing is for 12 awg if you're brave enough.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 10:00:37 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm no electrician but played project manager for many.

Speed is money, pass inspection then make it through warranty, that's all that matters! Thus backstabbing happens.

Screw connection and single strand twisted with a wire nut cap in my house. Prove why I'm wrong.

Multi strand is a different animal.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 10:10:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Out here electrical tape around a wire nut on your motor leads is basically a requirement.  I've never seen a single electrician not do it. A wrap of tape around a receptacle to cover the terminals is pretty common too.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Electrical tape has no place being wrapped around a wiring device or wirenut...

Out here electrical tape around a wire nut on your motor leads is basically a requirement.  I've never seen a single electrician not do it. A wrap of tape around a receptacle to cover the terminals is pretty common too.

Point taken, but the thread was about static wiring devices & not vibrating motors.

Taping wirenuts in a peckerhead, IMO, is to help prevent/ reduce the wirenut from loosening over time by forcing it to not spin free by tape friction against the wires. No other logical reason I can see. Also, there are moar better connection methods for motors depending on the motor such as male/female disconnects (stak-ons), ring terminals fastened together with machine screws/bolts n nuts then insulated with cambric/ rubber insulating/ 33 or 88 tapes, insulated lugs (Ilsco, NSI, etc...)...

...won't say that I haven't wirenutted/taped motor leads and also replaced them due to coming loose too
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 10:11:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Backstabbing is for 14 AWG, real electricians always use 12 AWG.

A little wallering out of the hole and bam! #12 can be backstabbed...
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 10:23:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Point taken, but the thread was about static wiring devices & not vibrating motors.

Taping wirenuts in a peckerhead, IMO, is to help prevent/ reduce the wirenut from loosening over time by forcing it to not spin free by tape friction against the wires. No other logical reason I can see. Also, there are moar better connection methods for motors depending on the motor such as male/female disconnects (stak-ons), ring terminals fastened together with machine screws/bolts n nuts then insulated with cambric/ rubber insulating/ 33 or 88 tapes, insulated lugs (Ilsco, NSI, etc...)...

...won't say that I haven't wirenutted/taped motor leads and also replaced them due to coming loose too
View Quote

I'm a crimp sleeve and wrap cap kinda guy. It doesn't have any way to vibrate loose. I was working on a sawmill trimsaw a couple years ago that was ring terminal/bolted on the 15hp motors and a bunch of them were loose and only a couple burnt up. I guess the cambric and rubber squeezed them tight enough. I clipped them off and used crimp sleeves and either did wrap caps or cambric/rubber/88. I've also seen oodles of cooked wire nuts, but it's usually reds or red/yellows on tiny wires.

On bigger stuff I use bronze split bolts then wrap with cambric, rubber, then 88. I like Polarises for speed but I've seen too many of them burnt up to have a lot of confidence in them anymore.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 12:11:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

The left one is a residential grade receptacle. Wire can be backstabbed or side-wired via the screws.

The right one is a commercial or possibly a spec grade receptacle. It doesn't have backstab provisions but is side-wired with an internal clamping plate.

Notice the internal contacts in each device. The resi device has two contact surfaces while the higher quality device has three. The clamping/ squeezing force is much better in the spec grade device too. Its also self-grounding...

...ironically, a plug makes connection with the internal contact surfaces the same way a wire is backstabbed in a resi device
View Quote

I call them battleships as well.
I thought you were a union guy and wanted to use the 'proper' nomenclature. I actually had to look it up before I posted it.

It's like screw-in drywall anchors; I've heard them called tornadoes, hurricanes and auger anchors. Depends...
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 12:12:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I'm a crimp sleeve and wrap cap kinda guy. It doesn't have any way to vibrate loose. I was working on a sawmill trimsaw a couple years ago that was ring terminal/bolted on the 15hp motors and a bunch of them were loose and only a couple burnt up. I guess the cambric and rubber squeezed them tight enough. I clipped them off and used crimp sleeves and either did wrap caps or cambric/rubber/88. I've also seen oodles of cooked wire nuts, but it's usually reds or red/yellows on tiny wires.

On bigger stuff I use bronze split bolts then wrap with cambric, rubber, then 88. I like Polarises for speed but I've seen too many of them burnt up to have a lot of confidence in them anymore.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/28/2022 12:13:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

It doesn't have any way to vibrate loose.
View Quote

If it's electric, it can vibrate loose.

When I worked on distribution stuff you'd be amazed at how often I'd find loose stingers on primary. They're torqued on installation then vibrate loose over time (time, depending on which lineman torqued it...) . Usually if I identified a buzzing stinger my clients would send a crew riki-tiki to fix it. The buzz - if it was loud enough that I could hear it from the ground - was a flashing arrow sign saying it was about to become an outage, and they preferred fixing those things 9-5 instead of 3am.

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top