Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 7
Link Posted: 6/2/2016 10:01:58 AM EDT
[#1]
It is a simulation and God is the programmer.  Plato figured this out thousands of years ago.
Link Posted: 6/2/2016 10:04:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Do some research on the "Double Slit Experiment with Delayed Data Erasure"

Quantum Mechanics may yet prove we live in some grand simulator.

Not saying we do, just open minded enough to entertain the idea until we can resolve what we don't understand.
Link Posted: 6/2/2016 10:05:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Do all of you hate this theory because of your religion or because you don't think it's possible?
Link Posted: 6/2/2016 10:07:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Do all of you hate this theory because of your religion or because you don't think it's possible?
View Quote

We live in a giant physics sandbox.....If it's "real" or a "simulation".....What's the difference?
Link Posted: 6/2/2016 10:07:47 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm willing to entertain a lot of delusions and conspiracy theories, but I guess I'm too much of a luddite to buy this one.  I'd rank this right up there with flat Earth and we didn't land on the moon stuff.
Link Posted: 6/2/2016 10:09:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Dude sounds like a Bond villain more and more.

View Quote

Link Posted: 6/2/2016 10:13:25 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

It's got the critical ingredient of the perfect crackpot theory that will keep it from ever dying.  It's completely impossible to conclusively disprove.
View Quote

Exactly like religion.
Link Posted: 6/2/2016 10:15:00 AM EDT
[#8]
Wait so does this mean the Matrix is a documentary ?
Link Posted: 6/2/2016 10:17:00 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

So, if we are in the matrix, why can we not do some matrix type shit? People have since forever thought of magic and similar, it seems to be near instinctual for humans to long for more than what is. Magic and otherworldly powers have been themes of every culture for a long long time. More primitive ones yes, but think about this, the belief in magic has become more taboo as our technology increased, and increased exponentionally. Perhaps the ones controlling the matrix tweaked it to work out that way? Mebbe they wanted a 'stronger bread and circues' to keep the Neo down. Perhaps this matrix is hardcoded to prevent those abilities latent within us. Maybe this world is a jail for us.

Perhaps we were once a mighty galaxy conquoring species using our powers and this matrix is humanities prison to keep the rest of the universe safe.

........ok time to take my meds again.
View Quote

Maybe the old stories about magic are true, except these were exploits and hacks and the program has been patched.

Link Posted: 6/2/2016 10:17:30 AM EDT
[#10]
On an alien planet called Kerbal we are simply a save state in a computer game called "Human Space Program".
Link Posted: 6/2/2016 10:17:51 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Well if that's the case someone needs to upgrade my life.
I want the fine ass good wife/girlfriend, rich guy option added.
View Quote

No shit.   My player needs to get off his ass and buy some tokens or gems or whatever it is that gamers do to get the better characters.
Link Posted: 6/2/2016 10:20:14 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
We live in a giant physics sandbox.....If it's "real" or a "simulation".....What's the difference?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 6/2/2016 10:21:18 AM EDT
[#13]
Meh, I've often pondered it as a possibility, maybe not literally but figuratively of our existence.  However, if the universe is truly infinite, probability says he's right.

The human problem is our sense of scale is fucked.
Link Posted: 6/2/2016 10:21:26 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 6/2/2016 10:21:42 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
First time I've heard this idea.
View Quote

It's been around. If you read up on it, you will have to scratch your head....
Link Posted: 6/2/2016 10:22:49 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

No it isn't. He is a nutcase.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It certainly is a theory to consider.

It's not his theory.
Link Posted: 6/2/2016 10:23:18 AM EDT
[#17]
..the fuck?
Link Posted: 6/2/2016 10:23:25 AM EDT
[#18]
See you at the party, Elon

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/2/2016 10:23:28 AM EDT
[#19]
Riiight...
Link Posted: 6/2/2016 10:24:03 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

It's not his theory.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's not his theory.

This and its been around for a while now.
Link Posted: 6/2/2016 10:24:35 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Is this his way of announcing he will be transitioning genders soon like those dudes who made The Matrix?
View Quote

Just another sign he is going the way of Howard Hughes.
Link Posted: 6/2/2016 10:25:01 AM EDT
[#22]
Drugs are bad, mkay?
Link Posted: 6/2/2016 10:26:04 AM EDT
[#23]
All we are is dust in the wind, dude.

Dust.

Wind.

Dude.
Link Posted: 6/2/2016 10:26:19 AM EDT
[#24]
Yo, I heard you like simulations. We put simulations in your simulator, so you can simulate while you simulate.
Link Posted: 6/2/2016 10:28:48 AM EDT
[#25]
Iven smart people prove that they say or believe stupid things.
Link Posted: 6/2/2016 10:31:13 AM EDT
[#26]
All I know is when I pay my taxes it's not simulated. I have about 50 projects around the house that need to be done that can attest to that.
Link Posted: 6/2/2016 10:32:10 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Wait so does this mean the Matrix is a documentary ?
View Quote

Not yet, but Idiocracy sure is.

Link Posted: 6/2/2016 10:34:15 AM EDT
[#28]
His argument doesn't consider random action.

Can a simulation ever successfully model a truly random event?  I mean to the point where the simulation itself has no control over or preknowledge of the outcome.

Do truly random events occur in nature?

Link Posted: 6/2/2016 10:34:34 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

It's not a new theory and Musk didn't come up with it.  There are a lot of really smart people who have talked about it.  The article is pure click bait, relying on the predictable Musk-envy to bring readers in.
Link Posted: 6/2/2016 10:36:24 AM EDT
[#30]
Elon Musk has said that there is only a “one in billions” chance that we’re not living in a computer simulation.
View Quote

If that is the case then progressive liberalism must be a malware virus.
Link Posted: 6/2/2016 10:42:43 AM EDT
[#31]
Ok, so lets say this theory is true.

If we develop the exact same thing wont we just be a simulation living in another simulation?

Also, if we are just being powered by computers what if something happens to those computers do we just go bye bye?

Seems retarded.

Link Posted: 6/2/2016 10:42:50 AM EDT
[#32]
Fall of '93 I start college.  Live on campus, but really not very far from home.

I recognize faces.  Lots of faces.  It got to the point where I thought "the program" was was overloaded and had to start recycling graphics.  The whole experience was like deja vu times 2356.

Then I realized there actually where a handful of kids from the past two years attending the same school and I actually was seeing people that I kinda recognized.

Link Posted: 6/2/2016 10:43:43 AM EDT
[#33]
There is no spoon.
Link Posted: 6/2/2016 10:47:58 AM EDT
[#34]
Whoever/whatever has made this simulation so "realistic" that right now, some dorito eating mother fucker is running the "sitting on the couch, watching Daniel Tiger with my 3 year old" mini-quest with me.
Link Posted: 6/2/2016 10:48:21 AM EDT
[#35]
Hey I want a bunch of government tax dollars to make me rich too.

Link Posted: 6/2/2016 10:50:43 AM EDT
[#36]
40 years ago video games were awesome, one could play for hours and still be entertained, brain activity was increased and kids could imagine.

Now, 40 years later, we have ultrarealistic pieces of shit and kids/adults alike are turned into mindless zombies.
Link Posted: 6/2/2016 10:51:04 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

Though Musk's argument for being in a simulation is weird: "technology has improved greatly over the last 100 years, this must all be fake!!!1!!!eleven!!"  I'm not getting the path from A to B.  "Since that would lead to games that would be indistinguishable from reality that could be played anywhere, 'it would seem to follow that the odds that we’re in "base reality" is one in billions', Mr Musk said.".  The idea of becoming engrossed in and obsessed with some VR experience has been around in fiction for decades (if not longer), I don't grasp how Pong is relevant to Oculus or how this "proves" we're in a simulation.
Link Posted: 6/2/2016 10:54:04 AM EDT
[#38]
If my dog puked on the carpet, did it really even happen?

Is the dog simulated?  The puke?  The carpet?

I'm gonna need to know in a hurry.
Link Posted: 6/2/2016 10:59:49 AM EDT
[#39]
Will someone please stop putting psilocybin mushrooms in the spaghetti that Elon has for dinner each week?
Link Posted: 6/2/2016 11:04:28 AM EDT
[#40]
If I am living in a simulation, how does the programer know how long ATF wait times should be???

May be they were meant to be instantaneous.  Or maybe none at all
Link Posted: 6/2/2016 11:08:51 AM EDT
[#41]
It might explain the quantum nature of our reality.
Link Posted: 6/2/2016 11:09:30 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
It's got the critical ingredient of the perfect crackpot theory that will keep it from ever dying.  It's completely impossible to conclusively disprove.
View Quote

You mean.. like the idea of God?
Link Posted: 6/2/2016 11:11:16 AM EDT
[#43]
Ah, the anti-intellectual crowd is out in force. Regardless of Musk being a moron or not a moron the simulation idea is neither new nor inherently crazy.
Link Posted: 6/2/2016 11:13:35 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Mr. Musk could always suck-start a .357 and learn for sure.
View Quote

I don't see how that would prove anything. His thread would just stop executing and go to the create Garbage Collector in the sky.
Link Posted: 6/2/2016 11:23:48 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Ah, the anti-intellectual crowd is out in force. Regardless of Musk being a moron or not a moron the simulation idea is neither new nor inherently crazy.
View Quote

"I don't think so, " said Descartes.  He then vanished into thin air.
Link Posted: 6/2/2016 11:25:50 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 6/2/2016 11:26:21 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I'm willing to entertain a lot of delusions and conspiracy theories, but I guess I'm too much of a luddite to buy this one.  I'd rank this right up there with flat Earth and we didn't land on the moon stuff.
View Quote

Well, if we are in a simulation, we didn't land on the moon and the earth may very well be a very large flat chip.

So, you'd be consistent.
Link Posted: 6/2/2016 11:27:59 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 6/2/2016 11:29:32 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

This.

Though Musk's argument for being in a simulation is weird: "technology has improved greatly over the last 100 years, this must all be fake!!!1!!!eleven!!"  I'm not getting the path from A to B.  "Since that would lead to games that would be indistinguishable from reality that could be played anywhere, 'it would seem to follow that the odds that we’re in "base reality" is one in billions', Mr Musk said.".  The idea of becoming engrossed in and obsessed with some VR experience has been around in fiction for decades (if not longer), I don't grasp how Pong is relevant to Oculus or how this "proves" we're in a simulation.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

Simulation hypothesis

In 2003, philosopher Nick Bostrom proposed a trilemma that he called "the simulation argument". Despite the name, Bostrom's "simulation argument" does not directly argue that we live in a simulation; instead, Bostrom's trilemma argues that one of three unlikely-seeming propositions must be true. The trilemma points out that a technologically mature "posthuman" civilization would have enormous computing power; if even a tiny percentage of them were to run "ancestor simulations" (that is, "high-fidelity" simulations of ancestral life that would be indistinguishable from reality to the simulated ancestor), the total number of simulated ancestors, or "Sims", in the universe (or multiverse, if it exists) would greatly exceed the total number of actual ancestors. Therefore, at least one of the following three propositions is almost certainly true:

"The fraction of human-level civilizations that reach a posthuman stage (that is, one capable of running high-fidelity ancestor simulations) is very close to zero", or
"The fraction of posthuman civilizations that are interested in running ancestor-simulations is very close to zero", or
"The fraction of all people with our kind of experiences that are living in a simulation is very close to one"

The argument is sort of similar to arguments you hear about intelligent extraterrestrial life. Sure, we may live in "base reality" and are the only real beings and we're the first to discover how to simulate reality, but if simulated reality is possible and beings capable of creating simulated reality would create it, then there are vastly more virtual beings than real and chances are we're one of the virtual beings.
Link Posted: 6/2/2016 11:29:42 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote

About as plausible as I am your God.

Oh, it's possible.......................but verrrry unlikely.
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top