Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 8/10/2018 8:37:00 AM EDT
Trump pimp slaps Turkey with sanctions for dictatorship fuckery and the Turkish Lira collapses after Erdogan unwisely announces that his plan to ameliorate sanctions is to declare that the US is his enemy and pray for Allah's intercession against the infidels:

Lira collapses as Erdogan tells Turks: They have 'their dollars,' we have 'our god'
Turkish lira hits all-time low versus the U.S. dollar.
The country's economy is viewed as imbalanced due to rampant inflation.
The United States has also threatened to impose "big sanctions" over a U.S. pastor.

The Turkish lira has collapsed to an all-time record low against the dollar, but the country's leader has brushed aside concerns, telling Turks "we have our God." The Turkish President Recep Erdogan then followed those comments up Friday by urging Turks to sell dollars and gold and buy lira.

At around 8:00 a.m. ET Friday, the lira had fallen to $7.081, an almost 11 percent loss for the session. As recently as April one dollar bought about four Turkish lira.

The first wave of selling came early Friday after a Turkish delegation returned from the United States with apparently no progress on the detention of a U.S. pastor. The evangelist, Andrew Brunson, is charged with supporting a group blamed for an attempted coup in 2016.

President Donald Trump said in July that the U.S. would place "large sanctions" on the country for the pastor's detention. Late Thursday, Erdogan said he will stand up to the pressure.

"There are various campaigns being carried out. Don't heed them," Erdogan said. "Don't forget, if they have their dollars, we have our people, our God. We are working hard. Look at what we were 16 years ago and look at us now," Erdogan told supporters.

On Friday afternoon Erdogan dug in again, calling for citizens to convert out of dollars and gold and buy the lira to help fight a "national struggle". In response, the currency renewed its sell-off. In his speech in the northeastern city of Bayburt, Erdogan added that he would decisively defend the country against economic attacks.
View Quote

Turkish lira drops 9% as Erdogan calls for citizens to convert out of dollars, gold; "The economic attack against us now is the same as the coup attempt against us."

The Turkish lira added to its steep losses on Friday after Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan asked citizens to convert their dollars and other foreign currencies as well as gold holdings to local lira.

The lira traded down 9 percent against the U.S. dollar at 6.04 following Erdogan's remarks and briefly fell more than 12 percent. The currency had already declined sharply against the greenback before Erdogan's latest comments.

Erdogan said Turkey was facing an "economic war" and noted the country would respond to those countries who had started it.

Speaking to a crowd in the northeastern city of Bayburt, a defiant Erdogan said the dollar would not block Turkey's path, framing the sell-off of the lira as a "national struggle."

"We are facing economic attacks today, and we need to defend our country," Erdogan said, according to a translation. "The economic attack against us now is the same as the coup attempt against us. I'm urging our country to increase outputs, to increase exports."

Turkish stocks also fell on Friday as the iShares MSCI Turkey ETF dropped 11.4 percent. The ETF was already down 42.3 percent this year prior to Friday's losses.
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 8:39:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Putting your trust in the devil seems quite foolish...
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 8:41:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Lets get it on. Kick them out of NATO now!
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 8:43:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Well that did not go the way he thought it would go.....
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 8:43:49 AM EDT
[#4]
I truly fucking hate Erdogan.

Turkey was on its way towards becoming a prosperous modern secular society and that cocksucker stole the future of 80 million people.

Now turkey is just destined to be another run of the mill Islamic shithole.
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 8:46:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Also, that was damn quick, it seems like just yesterday the Turkish lira was trading at 3.x to the dollar, now it's 6.x...
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 8:55:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Also, that was damn quick, it seems like just yesterday the Turkish lira was trading at 3.x to the dollar, now it's 6.x...
View Quote
Bloomberg's captions guy was a little snide about it.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 9:20:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Turkey was on its way towards becoming a prosperous modern secular society and that cocksucker stole the future of 80 million people.

View Quote
Yep.
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 9:39:29 AM EDT
[#8]
Turkish Lira and the economy has been in the downward spiral since 2010...now is just getting hammered hard... currently $.15 to a dollar
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 9:40:03 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Bloomberg's captions guy was a little snide about it.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/172926/lira-635923.JPG
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 9:41:11 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote
Too bad...I’ve met and worked with some good people there.
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 9:45:03 AM EDT
[#11]
Kick them out of NATO and remove every last trace of our bases from their shithole country.
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 9:48:06 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote
I agree 100%.
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 9:49:37 AM EDT
[#13]
Looks like their false god has forsaken them.
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 9:53:35 AM EDT
[#14]
On the other hand,now is a great time to see The Hagia Sophia on the cheap
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 9:56:55 AM EDT
[#15]
"Well my God can beat up your god"

*sigh* and from the formerly most-civilized Muslim state in the world.  Keep doubling down on that dark age, you'll hit bedrock eventually.
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 10:05:19 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote
And LOL, convert your dollars and gold to our shithole currency!

Yea, that's not going to happen. It will probably just tip everyone off that they should dump their currency for gold and dollars immediately.
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 10:14:05 AM EDT
[#17]
Needs a "Where is your god now" meme.

Have your god.   Will he put food on your table or gas in your tank or stitch up a cut or perform surgery to remove a bullet?
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 10:15:26 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 10:20:07 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I agree 100%.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree 100%.
I wonder what his plan is? Surely he doesn’t believe his own bullshit. He’s running his country into the ground at an impressive pace lately. If it keeps going this way he’s going to end up on the wrong end of a bunch of pissed off people. Muslim shithole dictator of a country that is aligned against the US hasn’t been a very good job historically.
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 10:23:20 AM EDT
[#20]
More proof allah is a little bitch?
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 10:24:28 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 10:24:59 AM EDT
[#22]
Your ‘god’ is a backwards ass child raping savage, and the culture he spawned is a failure of neanderthal proportions.
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 11:52:16 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote
No Way!

Did you forget "Keep your friends close...

...and your enemies closer!" ?
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 11:53:37 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yeah.
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 11:57:53 AM EDT
[#25]
Oh well.
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 12:00:28 PM EDT
[#26]
Iran and China are also urging their citizens to buy gold.

They all want distance from the dollar which is still the best horse in the glue factory.
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 12:02:43 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote
We need that dirt in NATO.

Make Greece Great Again!
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 12:06:47 PM EDT
[#28]
Discount trip to Turkey!
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 12:07:38 PM EDT
[#29]
Still winning.
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 12:09:13 PM EDT
[#30]
So Allah invests in Dollars?
Who would have guessed?
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 12:10:49 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote
This is exactly right.
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 12:11:06 PM EDT
[#32]
Investors are worried about Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan's unorthodox economic views. He says higher interest rates lead to higher inflation, the opposite of what standard economic theory says. As a result he's pushed Turkey's central bank to keep interest rates low, threatening its independence.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/turmoil-turkey-sends-us-european-143001554.html?.tsrc=applewf
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 12:14:33 PM EDT
[#33]
Trump defeats Allah?
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 12:16:40 PM EDT
[#34]
Turkish lira chart.

Hockey Stick graph
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 12:18:47 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Turkish lira chart.

https://i.imgur.com/uaPXQ1e.png

Hockey Stick graph
View Quote
Looks like the Dow since Trump took office.
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 12:30:59 PM EDT
[#36]
We really need to think about getting our nukes out of Incirlik.

-K
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 12:31:48 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Your ‘god’ is a backwards ass child raping savage, and the culture he spawned is a failure of neanderthal proportions.
View Quote
Actually their "god" is just a whore.  It was their god's pimp, Mohammed, that was the "backwards ass child raping savage".
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 12:45:49 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Kick them out of NATO and remove every last trace of our bases from their shithole country.
View Quote
Push them back to Anatolia and reclaim Constantinople.
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 12:48:32 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote
Nailed it.

Hard.
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 12:49:13 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Turkish Lira and the economy has been in the downward spiral since 2010...now is just getting hammered hard... currently $.15 to a dollar
View Quote
I don’t want thei lira to stop til it’s worth as much as Italian lirai was...a couple of hundred grand lira notes for a coke.
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 12:51:44 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

-K
View Quote
I'd be shocked if they weren't taken out shortly after the mini-siege that followed the "coup attempt".
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 12:58:08 PM EDT
[#42]
He'll be turning to Russia for help no doubt...whether he does or not.

He'll make a fine boogey man for the both the paleo-communists and their neo-con soul mates
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 12:58:15 PM EDT
[#43]
They’re still there?  I was EOD ar Incirlik and was goddamn glad to not be there for that pretend coup.

Erdogon came into office while I was there in 2007-2008 and I remember some of the Turks on base were not happy.

Quoted:

-K
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 1:00:23 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
On the other hand,now is a great time to see The Hagia Sophia recapture Constantinople on the cheap
View Quote
FIFY

My kids and I like to troll the local Roman Catholic churches by putting $5 into the tithing envelope and writing on the What Is This Gift For line, "to retake Constantinople from the Mohammedans!"
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 1:00:54 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Iran and China are also urging their citizens to buy gold.
View Quote
they listen to too much Glenn Beck.
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 1:13:47 PM EDT
[#46]
I would have pulled a plug on our bases after they blockaded them after the "coup" attempt. Turkey refused to help us when they could have several times.

If we still have nukes there they need to be removed ricky-tick.

We need to cancel the F-35s too. Did we deliver those F-35's?
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 1:16:42 PM EDT
[#47]
Damn. We all shoulda shorted the Turkish Lira today on the market..
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 1:17:16 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote
Why?  Seems like a great place from which to launch the invasion.
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 1:23:20 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote
or the Moon God.
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 1:24:43 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote
People actually believed this would happen any other way?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top