Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/12/2023 1:12:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
fructose corn syrup
View Quote

Yep.  

It's all the sugar in our food.  I try not to eat tons of processed food.
Link Posted: 8/12/2023 10:30:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

I don’t think so. I never drank much soda. A few here and there, but not like some people do.

Sugar is in everything. Eat actual food that isn’t laced with sugar… weight falls off. Fast.

I had to force feed myself trying to meet my intake goals. And still lost a couple pounds or more every week.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope. Sugar.

I lost 40 pounds in 4 months by eliminating sugar. I never tracked calories or fat at all.

Sometimes that's all it takes. That's why I always recommend cutting out soda first. It's can be a substantial amount of added calories every day.

I don’t think so. I never drank much soda. A few here and there, but not like some people do.

Sugar is in everything. Eat actual food that isn’t laced with sugar… weight falls off. Fast.

I had to force feed myself trying to meet my intake goals. And still lost a couple pounds or more every week.

Sugars and refined carbs in general (anything made with white flour and starchy veg/fruit) make me hungrier and I imagine I’m not alone. So it’s a double punch of calorically dense food that makes you hungrier when you eat it.
Link Posted: 8/12/2023 10:31:17 AM EDT
[#3]
When did cheap seed oils start getting used in every processed/factory made food? Imagine it’s pretty close to 1970 when HFC was approved as a food additive. Baked goods made with lard while not good for you are more filling than their seed oil laced counter part.
Link Posted: 8/12/2023 10:41:38 AM EDT
[#4]
I blame it on acceptance. Now fat people are “healthy at any size!” … I don’t think shunning is okay but when there was a little shame in being massively overweight people had a little self awareness and would slow their eating when they were unhappy with what they saw in the mirror.

Now? Lizzo proclaims she’s the example of feminine attraction.
Link Posted: 8/12/2023 11:43:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I blame it on acceptance. Now fat people are “healthy at any size!” … I don’t think shunning is okay but when there was a little shame in being massively overweight people had a little self awareness and would slow their eating when they were unhappy with what they saw in the mirror.

Now? Lizzo proclaims she’s the example of feminine attraction.
View Quote

FIFY.

Never really saw many 300+lb porkers back in the day, because fat shaming at 40+lbs overweight, meant many took steps before they were well beyond 100+lbs overweight. Nowadays 300+ lbs is nothing. They're everywhere (and as you pointed out, on the covers of magazines, being not just normalized, but praised ).
Link Posted: 8/12/2023 12:36:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/12/2023 12:53:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Something in the water.

And air.

And food.

And on "social media".

And so on.
Link Posted: 8/12/2023 1:51:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I'm not a nutrition expert by any stretch, but this year I saw dramatic results by switching my diet for health reasons.  No beetus and I am not overweight, but I was at the very top end of the normal weight range for my height, and within three months I dropped 20lbs and am now solidly mid range or even a bit lower.

My secret?  

No secret.  I did what most folks have agreed for years is good - eat a balanced diet consisting of healthy fruit and vegetables, lean protein, and whole grains, while minimizing or even eliminating red meat and packaged foods, especially those high in sodium, saturated fats, and/or added sugars.  And use healthy oils when cooking.  Also, make working out a regular thing - 150 minutes a week of your heart in a workout zone.  Walking is not going to cut it.

I was not trying to lose weight, but I did.  About 1-2 lbs a week, without ever feeling like I was denying myself calories.  I've started drinking protein shakes to level off.

The other trick is that it is not "a diet."  It's "my diet."  It's not a temporary thing to achieve some weight goal.  It's embracing better nutrition...and I have finally gotten to the point where I look at the things I used to crave with a bit of disgust.  My nly regret is that I did not do this decades ago.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sugars and refined carbs in general (anything made with white flour and starchy veg/fruit) make me hungrier and I imagine I’m not alone. So it’s a double punch of calorically dense food that makes you hungrier when you eat it.

I'm not a nutrition expert by any stretch, but this year I saw dramatic results by switching my diet for health reasons.  No beetus and I am not overweight, but I was at the very top end of the normal weight range for my height, and within three months I dropped 20lbs and am now solidly mid range or even a bit lower.

My secret?  

No secret.  I did what most folks have agreed for years is good - eat a balanced diet consisting of healthy fruit and vegetables, lean protein, and whole grains, while minimizing or even eliminating red meat and packaged foods, especially those high in sodium, saturated fats, and/or added sugars.  And use healthy oils when cooking.  Also, make working out a regular thing - 150 minutes a week of your heart in a workout zone.  Walking is not going to cut it.

I was not trying to lose weight, but I did.  About 1-2 lbs a week, without ever feeling like I was denying myself calories.  I've started drinking protein shakes to level off.

The other trick is that it is not "a diet."  It's "my diet."  It's not a temporary thing to achieve some weight goal.  It's embracing better nutrition...and I have finally gotten to the point where I look at the things I used to crave with a bit of disgust.  My nly regret is that I did not do this decades ago.

I had a similar experience with totally different nutritional guidelines and lot of weight lifting heavy and walking with a 40 lb pack over broken terrain. Ate lots of primal cuts of fatty red meat, eggs and non starchy veg. Plenty of full fat dairy too. Lots of salt. Little to no sugar or refined carbs. I would eat 1-2 times a day within a 8 hour or less window. Whole grains give me wicked heart burn.
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 10:15:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
There's something really fucked up about our food here. I have friends and family from overseas and they don't understand how our "organic" bread lasts for weeks without mold growing on it. I know people that have a gluten intolerance here in the states but back home they can eat all the bread they want and are fine. If I had to guess I'd say Roundup and corn syrup are two factors but GMO crops and preservatives probably play a part as well.

For Japan specifically, they don't eat the healthiest diets there BUT they have higher quality, cheaper food and most people don't own cars and are walking a LOT. On average Japanese people walk around 7K steps a day. They also fat shame which honestly we need to do more of here.
View Quote

It’s gotta be all the processed food, man. Everyone that comes here from other countries puts on 10-20 pounds pretty damn quick. I don’t remember people being as fat when I was a kid twenty years ago, before every goddamn thing was “processed.”
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 10:20:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Meh... I've had bad luck with bread. I have bought bread from Walmart, of all places, and it will grow mold by the end of the week. As you can tell from my location, I live in a very very dry climate too.
View Quote

Put it in the fridge, it’ll last longer. I get a week and change from the “fresh-made bakery bread,” and a month from the name brand sliced bread.
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 10:42:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Portion sizes are huge in US compared to Europe and Japan, either at home or eating out.

IIRC the avg amount of calories consumed in Japan is about 1000 less per day vs US avg.

ASSuming the avg Japanese calorie intake is level with calories spent, a US calorie intake can easily add about 1-2 lbs weight gain a week.

ETA-also there's probably cultural differences on obesity there vs here where it is now being celebrated to be "husky".

Also their socialized medicine also plays a part. Not that I'm endorsing it but there are government waistline guidelines....you start gaining weight there and there is medical intervention steps that try to nip it in the bud earlier than we do here in the US. Companies there can also be fined if their employees are too "fat" (Metabo law), so they also intervene.
Page / 6
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top