Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/20/2016 5:06:19 PM EDT
I'm a cook at a country club. We have 3 restaurants on the property. Each one has its own executive chef and sous chef. Then there is a head chef that oversees all of it. Well the head chef resigned, and the guy that replaced him is an assbag. He was such a dick to the executive chef that he took another job and quit, and I have heard some not so great things about his replacement. The su chef is leaving now too, along with some other cooks. Last year it was a really laid back place to work. This year everyone is wound tight, there is a lot of dissension and head chef is a cocksucker. I'm not sure how many people are going to stay, myself included, but they might find themselves unable to run a kitchen.
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 5:07:23 PM EDT
[#1]
YES HOS

That is all.
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 5:10:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Oh yes, especially in food service.
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 5:10:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Hell yes.
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 5:10:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Yup.

Made over $65K  two years ago, new manager shows up and I made less than half last year.
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 5:11:58 PM EDT
[#5]
yes,  many years ago had medical device executives come over to a lab environment that they where 100% unfamiliar with and fucked it up in 2 years, they all left it in ruins for me to clean up...

i enjoyed firing about 5 of them, all assholes too.

eta: f u siemens

Link Posted: 5/20/2016 5:15:25 PM EDT
[#6]
... rarely, business decisions aren't made by emotion in my field - mostly
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 5:17:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Oh yea, we are in the middle of a massive cultural transformation and right now it's mostly 100% suck. We went from a laid back sales organization that consistently delivered substantial growth to one that is wound-tight and starting to struggle.

Time will tell if all the "improvements" really are or if the struggles will continue due too fuckery.

I'm sure over time there will be more good than bad but holy balls has it been a tiresome year. I mean, we did need to become slightly more structured as we grew but it's gone to retard levels.

Link Posted: 5/20/2016 5:18:17 PM EDT
[#8]
In my workplace new managers/admin always come in with their "plan"...
Their "new sheriff in town" attitude doesn't fly for long.

We tend to beat them down and get them to realize that they really don't know what they're doing and trying to get "us" to follow their agenda is futile.

Most don't last longer than 4 or five months before moving on or crawling back to where they came from.

The best is when one of our ranks gets "promoted" to sgt. and overnight they too seem to think they're going to change the world.
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 5:18:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Just about every place I've ever worked.
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 5:24:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Every two years or so. Young chuckleheads with no experience put in charge of a 350 million dollar business, because they are up and coming.
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 5:25:31 PM EDT
[#11]
All the damn time.
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 5:35:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Two words..... Hell yeah
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 5:36:18 PM EDT
[#13]
I work in a hospital so yes.  Going through that right now.

Link Posted: 5/20/2016 5:42:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Worked at my last company for 17 years, and was the Administrator for the last 10 of that. Old company was awesome. Gave us what we needed and got out of the way. We had created a great program and reputation throughout the state. The company that owned one of our competitors bought us. I was well aware of how they ran things but they promised that they would stay out of our hair and let us keep operating the same way. Nope. They immediately started implementing little changes here and there. Took away all of out autonomy. Suddenly had to ask 3 managers and HR to wipe my own ass. I put up with it for 2 years and quit. Now I'm their competitor. They don't really like that.

As evidence of how fantastic they are, they have been through 4 CEOs in as many years. And there is only one original person left in the entire corporate structure that was there when they purchased us. CFOs, COOs, HR, IT, QA, all replaced 2 or 3 times over.
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 5:42:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Absolutely.  I worked for the State of Florida.
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 5:49:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/20/2016 5:50:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/20/2016 5:53:29 PM EDT
[#18]
New GM at work.  Rides the fuck out of under performers.  I had no idea someone could micro manage so much.  For us performers, it just feels like we're more productive.  A lot of folks do nothing but bitch about him.  Others, like me, enjoy the slackers being ridiculed.
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 6:04:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Food service business is tough enough without added bullshit, by the way it's sous-chef.
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 6:14:41 PM EDT
[#20]
This is exactly the reason why I was just able to hire an excellent new employee, away from a competitor.  

Link Posted: 5/20/2016 6:28:30 PM EDT
[#21]
Yes, I loved the job, the driving, the working on small items and figuring out what went wrong where. Then they started me doing bigger stuff like clutch swaps and transmission swaps on semis along with engine swings. I actually left that group because of that boss. I started working for the dept that runs the trucks I was working on. They management hasn't really changed there but the reporting structure has. I don't care for what they have done but I still do the same job now that I was hired into this dept 4 years ago as.
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 6:35:59 PM EDT
[#22]
Yep.

The Assbag had 300% turnover every 5 years. I was on the verge of giving back my signing bonus (i.e. actually paying to leave) before a miracle occurred and I was transferred to a really cool job.  

..... (Actually the really cool job was stressful as hell but it wasn't because the boss was an assbag. Instead it was a monumental task, but with good people and leadership and that made it worth the stress )
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 6:36:19 PM EDT
[#23]
I worked for a Korean war vet that was great. Capable, realistic and hard working. His son took over and a death spiral began.
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 6:47:17 PM EDT
[#24]
i could write on this all day, but i'll spare you most of it.

after years of managing bars, i decided to get out of that rat race, and went back to tending a bar i used to work.  the joint was a dream job for bartenders, and my first year back was glorious. then the place got bought out for an ungodly sum by a titty bar owner, who brought in his own management team with absolutely zero experience in this kind of bar (but were convinced that they had it all figured out).  it was a disaster.  at first some of the longtime employees tried to be helpful, but we were constantly shut down.  "quit being obstructionist and get with the program".  well...ok.

it was a seasonal place, where the best bartenders in DFW would come to work from may to september.  but the new guys refused to bring back the male bartenders--they wanted girls in tight shirts behind the bar.  we warned mgmt that this would hurt sales and atmosphere, but they didn't listen.  sure enough, most of the hotties couldn't hang, people couldn't get drinks, and so patrons started finding other places to drink.

then there were a couple of top-flight females who could hang, and really gave a shit about the place.  these women belonged in the highest volume (and highest earning) bars, because they could generate sales like real bartenders.  but mgmt said they were "spoiled", and insisted on a "fair" rotation schedule.  i warned mgmt that these women could go anywhere they wanted, and we needed to retain them.  nope: "they'll never make more money than they do here."  i just laughed and told them that the girls could go to any club in DFW and pull down triple the money they were currently making.  mgmt laughed right back, and wound up letting the girls go a week or so later.  "fuck them".  both of the women had new jobs before they even left the parking lot, and both were pulling ~$100/hr slinging drinks that same day in a much better work environment.

then there was structural stuff.  we would go through maybe 6-8 tons of ice per weekend day, and had a commercial ice company on retainer.  the owner decided that this was a waste of money, and that we would source the ice in-house.  i ran the numbers, and warned mgmt that their plan wouldn't provide even half of what we needed on a normal day, much less cover any emergencies.  "quit being obstructionist".

for the next couple of weeks, we were out of ice before the sun was down.  this was especially bad since our outdoor bars all used ice baths instead of coolers for beer.  want to get people never to come back to your bar?  try to sell them warm beer when they get off their boats.

most important question a new manager can ask: "is there a reason we do it this way?"  a new manager who is not asking that question on a very regular basis is almost always going to be a problem.
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 6:52:49 PM EDT
[#25]
Kinda going through that now..  shit may go down hill fast...
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 6:53:19 PM EDT
[#26]
Yep, going through it right now.

Was talking to one of my guys who is ex-Army. He focuses on security and compliance and he's a bit frustrated with our new boss. He was bitching to me and said, "Ya' know, this is just like being back in. A bunch of the sergeants talking when someone would say, where did the LT go? And you just knew he was out fucking up something, volunteering us for something we had no business doing or changing everyone's assignments that you just finished talking through."

Link Posted: 5/20/2016 7:02:26 PM EDT
[#27]
has happened in almost every job I have had.
Sometimes its new management
Sometimes its new people that think they are management and management isn't ever around to see what is actually going on outside of formal meetings
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 7:07:30 PM EDT
[#28]
Ever had management change and screw up the work enviroment?
View Quote

Yup; boss is bipolar. So it happens often...
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 7:08:31 PM EDT
[#29]
I've had management change that screwed up my career path.

It's sad when you can see years of your life and work just being destroyed in front of you.

I'm sure i'm not alone in this, but it was the cause of some heavy drinking for a bit
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 7:09:25 PM EDT
[#30]
Hell yes, every transfer season. Nothing like a new chief or junior officer coming in and thinking they have to make an impact somewhere. It's usually on the lower enlisted duty rotation/policies.
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 7:10:09 PM EDT
[#31]
Ohhh yes
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 7:15:17 PM EDT
[#32]
A large company bought my company in 2001. Another large company just bought us again. So, shits been fucked up since 2001 and it's onl getting worse.
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 7:17:37 PM EDT
[#33]
Best thing that ever happened.

My last job hired a shit stain fast talker to be the shop foreman. Place went to shit and I looked for a new job. I was the top trouble shooter and hydraulics tech in the shop.

I've landed a dream job and wish I had moved years ago!
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 7:17:55 PM EDT
[#34]
Yes, yes, and yes.
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 7:21:17 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Food service business is tough enough without added bullshit, by the way it's sous-chef.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Thanks.

Quoted:
Kinda going through that now..  shit may go down hill fast...

This place is seasonal so all the employees have other jobs during the winter. This means that almost everyone has another job they can go right back to if they want to, which may end up fucking the club. Honestly, I would find this hilarious.
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 7:23:21 PM EDT
[#36]
Place was dysfunction when I arrived.  New CxO arrives and fucks it up even worse.  Living it as we speak.

I am looking elsewhere.
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 7:25:06 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 7:29:17 PM EDT
[#38]
Hell yes. Happening right now as I speak. I work for the state of Arizona and my current manager moved into this position about 8 months ago and has been going down ever since. Told me numerous lies straight to my face about shit and then 3 months later never happens. We never have a clue as to what is going on. People who are troublemakers and the boss knows about end up getting employee of the month awards. My last day is this upcoming Wednesday for a job making double the money.
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 7:31:40 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I work in a hospital so yes.  Going through that right now.

View Quote

Hospitals seem to rotate management at unbelievable rates.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 7:32:57 PM EDT
[#40]
Absolutely.  We have had some piss poor leadership in my department before.  However, the last round of changes, where the current Sr. Manager was moved to Director and we hired in a new Manager from one of the other groups was a blessing.  My new manager is the best manager I have ever had.  I can honestly say that.  Our groups performance has skyrocketed since he came on board.  He is a great manager and could probably quit and start a consulting business on managing large, high level groups if he wanted to.   I sure hope he never leaves but he has a very bright future and I can see him being promoted to Director or even a VP position in the future.
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 7:34:43 PM EDT
[#41]
Yea, well the company got bought out and injected with "Chicago values"

Now I find myself working towards being head of design... mostly because I'm the only one left... LOL

"Look at me engineer... I head of design now"
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 7:34:57 PM EDT
[#42]
Yes, yes, yes.  No turnovers.  No continuity in commitments made from one to the other.  Whipsaw changes in polices throwing everything in flux.

Management drove me out of my last position, due to their inability to follow on specific commitments made to me and my project and the people working with me.
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 7:37:37 PM EDT
[#43]
Yeah, the last 6 months of my scout pl time. We had a battalion change of command. Went from awesome work environment to "holy shit, how much longer until I ETS?"
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 7:41:58 PM EDT
[#44]
Yes, I work in a public school. The best teachers are ones with experience where I teach....not the case in many schools...older are lazy....anyway...

We got new principals and they are implementing what they learned in a webinar. They put new chairpersons on in each department. They picked them because they were young and yes people. So now, our weakest part of our school is our leadership and our school is failing.....

They also micromanage.
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 7:51:38 PM EDT
[#45]
I am the management change. Promoted from the ranks though.  I hope I'm having the reverse effect.
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 7:57:01 PM EDT
[#46]
Funny how that works.  I came into a job, created a shitstorm and turned the department around.  

I just submitted my resignation.  Two of my employees have already announced plans to leave and I think a third one is working on it.  Several other employees in other departments are leaving now too.  I believe several took it that if I decided enough was enough it was time to bounce.  

My CIO -->

Me  -->  
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 8:02:20 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 8:11:46 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
i could write on this all day, but i'll spare you most of it.

after years of managing bars, i decided to get out of that rat race, and went back to tending a bar i used to work.  the joint was a dream job for bartenders, and my first year back was glorious. then the place got bought out for an ungodly sum by a titty bar owner, who brought in his own management team with absolutely zero experience in this kind of bar (but were convinced that they had it all figured out).  it was a disaster.  at first some of the longtime employees tried to be helpful, but we were constantly shut down.  "quit being obstructionist and get with the program".  well...ok.

it was a seasonal place, where the best bartenders in DFW would come to work from may to september.  but the new guys refused to bring back the male bartenders--they wanted girls in tight shirts behind the bar.  we warned mgmt that this would hurt sales and atmosphere, but they didn't listen.  sure enough, most of the hotties couldn't hang, people couldn't get drinks, and so patrons started finding other places to drink.

then there were a couple of top-flight females who could hang, and really gave a shit about the place.  these women belonged in the highest volume (and highest earning) bars, because they could generate sales like real bartenders.  but mgmt said they were "spoiled", and insisted on a "fair" rotation schedule.  i warned mgmt that these women could go anywhere they wanted, and we needed to retain them.  nope: "they'll never make more money than they do here."  i just laughed and told them that the girls could go to any club in DFW and pull down triple the money they were currently making.  mgmt laughed right back, and wound up letting the girls go a week or so later.  "fuck them".  both of the women had new jobs before they even left the parking lot, and both were pulling ~$100/hr slinging drinks that same day in a much better work environment.

then there was structural stuff.  we would go through maybe 6-8 tons of ice per weekend day, and had a commercial ice company on retainer.  the owner decided that this was a waste of money, and that we would source the ice in-house.  i ran the numbers, and warned mgmt that their plan wouldn't provide even half of what we needed on a normal day, much less cover any emergencies.  "quit being obstructionist".

for the next couple of weeks, we were out of ice before the sun was down.  this was especially bad since our outdoor bars all used ice baths instead of coolers for beer.  want to get people never to come back to your bar?  try to sell them warm beer when they get off their boats.

most important question a new manager can ask: "is there a reason we do it this way?"  a new manager who is not asking that question on a very regular basis is almost always going to be a problem.
View Quote

What eventually happened to the place?
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 8:13:07 PM EDT
[#49]
I thought that was job description number 1... come in and fuck everything up because... new guy read a white-paper on XYZ on the flight into town to interview for the position. Productivity out the window, quality down the drain, people who were going to stay forever jumping ship faster than rats leaving a sinking ship. Sounds about normal... FUBAR
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 8:14:13 PM EDT
[#50]
It does suck when you have a job and everyone is used to doing things a certain way then someone comes in and makes you change everything.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top