BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 8
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 11:50:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That is a great point. We Americans work ourselves to death. At every place I've ever worked upon hire you start with zero vacation time and have to accrue vacation/paid time off (PTO) per paycheck. But as soon as you bank some PTO you end up using it to take a day off because your kids is home sick from school, or you need half a day off to go to the DMV, etc. so you never really can bank enough PTO to take a vacation. And if you do bank enough PTO that vacation time is spent taking a Thursday or Friday off to go to your in-laws for a weekend.

My wife and I were just lamenting that our one "big" vacation we take every year is really just flying back to California to visit my parents. That trip alone cost us easily over $4k just in airfare, hotel, and meals for a family of four for week, not to mention I'm having to burn 5+ days of PTO for the trip. Other little weekend vacations are often spent visiting her parents.
View Quote
That's exactly it. I envy my in-laws, they spend nearly the entirety of July on their boats, exploring the waterways of northern Europe. What I wouldn't give to take a 2 week road trip with the Mrs exploring the southwest.

I think it really has to do with our influx of immigrants from countries with lower standards of living. At least in the bay area, there are plenty of Indians and Chinese that are used to 1-2 days off month, which in turn makes employees who request more vacation less desirable. At my last raise, I leveraged an extra week of vacation in lieu of a 5% bump. It was worth it.

I really worry about my future in the US as we continue this trend (I'm only 29), while simultaneously cramming more people into cities. Weekend trips used to be easy, but the traffic in the bay area makes any excursion to a place of solitude a 5 hour drive at a minimum. Additionally, employees are jumping around more than ever from job to job, so unless they find a generous employer, they will never make it past 2-3 weeks. It's sad, but it's the way it is.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 11:50:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
That's one of my favorites that gets enjoyed once a year, Probably the best snapshot of 1960's America ever written.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I highly recommend "Travels with Charley" by John Steinbeck.  It's a classic long-distance road trip book by a master storyteller.  TLDR; Steinbeck has a custom camper built for his pickup truck and he hits the road with his dog, Charley.  They are out to see America.  He has no set schedule and goes where the winds blows.  I really enjoyed that book.
That's one of my favorites that gets enjoyed once a year, Probably the best snapshot of 1960's America ever written.
Apparently most of it is fiction. Still a good book.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 11:54:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

How long have you isolated yourself for?

No phone, no texts, etc, and most will go crazy without human interaction. Or they're sick to begin with.
Most people will get away for the weekend and think it's the bees knees, buy after a few months you'll be scratching yourself all over, while yelling and conversing with your "friends".
View Quote
Completely alone? Three weeks with occasional runs into town for supplies. I know for sure I wouldn't be happy completely isolated. Now that I have a family it's not even a question. The real debate is whether actively participating in society is worth the effort or something along those lines.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 11:55:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 11:57:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Was actually pricing out mountain land in Montana this week with 20+ acres where I could hunt elk, deer, and bear on my own land. The acreages cost less than a new truck. Build a $50k 2-room cabin on it, and live a simple life.

My income is/has been high enough since I graduated college 10 years ago that if I had lived cheaply and stayed single, I could be retired on land in Montana by now probably, living comfortably off nothing but dividends for the rest of my life.
View Quote
Keep in mind that most 'mountain' land here is pretty inaccessible for most of the year.  Most of the 40-acre plots you see for sale for $50k (or less) were originally part of a mining claim or timber company land, and are near the end of a long unplowed road.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 12:01:24 PM EDT
[#6]
"The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation, and go to the grave with the song still in them"

-Henry Thoreau
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 12:02:03 PM EDT
[#7]
My co-worker did. He left his job and family. He was reported missing from his family. He was found on the street homeless. Police picked him up and checked him in. He said he was Jesus and was healing people.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 12:03:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
"The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation, and go to the grave with the song still in them"

-Henry Thoreau
View Quote
'Everyone has a book inside them, which is exactly where it should, I think, in most cases, remain.'

-Hitchens
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 12:09:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Chris McCandless wasn't wrong and he was just a college student. If you haven't read Into the Wild, do it now. Or at least watch the movie.
View Quote
On the contrary. McCandless was wrong on surviving the Alaskan spring thaw, and this was the reason he starved to death. if
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 12:10:01 PM EDT
[#10]
To all those who wish they had/could:

The law of action moving into life

No matter what we feel or know
No matter what potential gifts or talents,
Only action brings them to life.
Many of us understand concepts
Such as commitment, courage and love,
But we truly know only when we can do.
Doing leads to understanding,
And action leads knowledge to wisdom.
You can't cross the sea merely by staring at the water.

Rabindranath Tabor
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 12:12:31 PM EDT
[#11]
I dream of it regularly
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 12:17:08 PM EDT
[#12]
This guy...

Link Posted: 1/10/2019 12:17:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Freedom
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Freedom
This.

Quoted:
Maybe he figured out the American Dream is a trap?
Couldn't be more wrong.  He's living the American Dream.

If I didn't have a wife and kids to support, I'd live in a van and see the country, stay in state and national parks, parking lots, (urban stealth van camping: it's a thing).  My family has acreage with a couple modest cabins, water source(s), food sources when I needed to come back to "home base".  I'm financially at a point, where I'd never need a J O B.  My wealth would actually increase as I traveled the country in my van. .... BUUUUUT wife and kids... who I love ... so I can't.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 12:19:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 12:20:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
thats my retirement plan, sell the house buy a small RV and just wonder
View All Quotes
Quoted:
thats my retirement plan, sell the house buy a small RV and just wonder
YES!

Quoted:

That's just another word for nothin' left to lose.
You have no clue how wrong you are. The things you own own you.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 12:32:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Didn't a Arfcom member travel the country visiting other members with little with him? He may have stayed a day or two or maybe a few hours?
I thought i read that here.
View Quote
There was a guy who Bicycled coast to coast.

I didn’t think he would actually complete it.    I was wrong.

Who was it?    Is he still around?
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 12:37:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Yup, have 2 buddies that now live in vans.  They’re the happiest sons of bitches I’ve ever seen.  Both had high paying engineering jobs before walking away from everything.
View Quote
As a dude who has worked in engineering for almost 25 years I am about ready to go live in a van.  
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 12:51:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Keep in mind that most 'mountain' land here is pretty inaccessible for most of the year.  Most of the 40-acre plots you see for sale for $50k (or less) were originally part of a mining claim or timber company land, and are near the end of a long unplowed road.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Was actually pricing out mountain land in Montana this week with 20+ acres where I could hunt elk, deer, and bear on my own land. The acreages cost less than a new truck. Build a $50k 2-room cabin on it, and live a simple life.

My income is/has been high enough since I graduated college 10 years ago that if I had lived cheaply and stayed single, I could be retired on land in Montana by now probably, living comfortably off nothing but dividends for the rest of my life.
Definitely aware of that, I lived in Billings for 4 years and my old man grew up in Butte.

If you start looking for plots closer to 20 acres, you can find them off plowed county roads a few miles from a highway and 30 minutes from a (small) town in that price range.

Of course, you still have wildfire risk, but that's life in the woods.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 12:55:08 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
That's exactly it. I envy my in-laws, they spend nearly the entirety of July on their boats, exploring the waterways of northern Europe. What I wouldn't give to take a 2 week road trip with the Mrs exploring the southwest.

I think it really has to do with our influx of immigrants from countries with lower standards of living. At least in the bay area, there are plenty of Indians and Chinese that are used to 1-2 days off month, which in turn makes employees who request more vacation less desirable. At my last raise, I leveraged an extra week of vacation in lieu of a 5% bump. It was worth it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
That is a great point. We Americans work ourselves to death. At every place I've ever worked upon hire you start with zero vacation time and have to accrue vacation/paid time off (PTO) per paycheck. But as soon as you bank some PTO you end up using it to take a day off because your kids is home sick from school, or you need half a day off to go to the DMV, etc. so you never really can bank enough PTO to take a vacation. And if you do bank enough PTO that vacation time is spent taking a Thursday or Friday off to go to your in-laws for a weekend.

My wife and I were just lamenting that our one "big" vacation we take every year is really just flying back to California to visit my parents. That trip alone cost us easily over $4k just in airfare, hotel, and meals for a family of four for week, not to mention I'm having to burn 5+ days of PTO for the trip. Other little weekend vacations are often spent visiting her parents.

I'd agree, to some extent. I think the impact the influx of immigrants over the decades has caused on the American workforce is mostly felt in the low(er) income brackets. American laborers who work predominantly in the hospitality industry, food service industry, and construction industries are competing with immigrants (many here illegally) who are very willing to work for less in wages and benefits (and perks, like vacation/sick days, etc.), thus stagnating or driving compensation down in those industries. The mid-tier industries like tech/IT are now starting to see this same phenomena with the H-1B visa program importing thousands of low to mid tier workers for low(er) end programming and IT tech jobs.

Quoted:
I really worry about my future in the US as we continue this trend (I'm only 29), while simultaneously cramming more people into cities. Weekend trips used to be easy, but the traffic in the bay area makes any excursion to a place of solitude a 5 hour drive at a minimum.
After living in the upper Midwest for a dozen years where we have relatively little to no traffic, even around our metropolitan area at prime driving time, when I go back to Los Angeles a few times per year to visit my folks I'm just blown away by how bad the traffic is now. It was already bad when I left, but a decade plus later it is far, far worse. Just driving during the middle of the day in Southern California you get stuck in traffic, and even on weekends there is constant stop-n-go traffic.

Quoted:
Additionally, employees are jumping around more than ever from job to job, so unless they find a generous employer, they will never make it past 2-3 weeks. It's sad, but it's the way it is.
This one is simple - the employer/employee relationship has changed for the most part. There is little loyalty in employment anymore. Employee are no longer loyal to their employer, and employers are especially no longer loyal to their employees. Sure there are a few exceptions out there, but by-and-large employees today are more like mercenary soldiers hired by a king to fight battles or wars. As soon as another king offers a better wage the mercenaries jump ship to fight for him. And once the battle or war is won (or lost), and the king no longer needs his mercenary fighters, he cuts them loose.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 1:03:19 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote
I thought about this back when I worked the private sector (banking). Then even more so when I jumped ship to try something new at a small company. Hardly any time off and feeling stressed asking for a day off with what might not be enough notice. Neither was a job that should have been difficult to walk away from. Then again I've been on the job hunt and seen how difficult it can be to even get a response for jobs you know you're easily qualified for. I understand why there's less loyalty from employees these days who have to jump ship to get treated/paid decently.

I'm out of the private sector now and the time off adds up quicker and is much easier to use. You can manage a month off if you play it right and still keep enough in the bank for random days off if wanted. We also still have some remnant of a decent pension. My getting vested might just coincide with the passing of my aging parents. I don't hate my job by any means but depending on where I end up in the organization I could see myself wanting to get out. It's the type of job where it becomes your identity.

I'm a very frugal person by nature. A couple hobbies (cars/guns). Could easily scale back, find a less stressful, "normal" job, sell my house and rent either here or another state altogether. I really have no ties to anything aside from my current job. I won't kid myself and say I could turn into a mountain man in a cabin but I can deal with being uncomfortable. An extended road trip around the US as a start would be interesting.

/rambling
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 1:06:48 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Go drive a truck.
I just had to upgrade my CDL to an A so I can tow heavy trailers with my bucket truck , and we pay a driving school to administer the pre trip inspection test, and driving portions of the test.
I was offered a job by three different trucking company recruiters and the guy who gave me the test.
The people who pay for the full course $6k, will spend 4 weeks in school and be offered a job making 60k a year and reimbursement for their tuition.
You could get paid to walk away, and you can live in a company truck and make even more money for never wanting to go back home. I'm thinking this has to be one of the fastest and least expensive ways to 60k+ a year, and you could do it with minimal cost of living. Some of them even pay per diem, and hotels on mandatory DOT off days.
View Quote
You could bank a lot of money this way.  No need for a house or car.  Your only real expense would be food.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 1:07:20 PM EDT
[#22]
I thought about it long and hard when I was in my late 20s.  It was the "Then Came Bronson," thought.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 1:08:16 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
's just another word for nothing left to lose.   - Janice Joplin Kris Kristofferson
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Freedom
's just another word for nothing left to lose.   - Janice Joplin Kris Kristofferson
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 1:09:31 PM EDT
[#24]
"Men Going Their Own Way"

I did it do not give a fuck,
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 1:09:56 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Completely alone? Three weeks with occasional runs into town for supplies. I know for sure I wouldn't be happy completely isolated. Now that I have a family it's not even a question. The real debate is whether actively participating in society is worth the effort or something along those lines.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How long have you isolated yourself for?

No phone, no texts, etc, and most will go crazy without human interaction. Or they're sick to begin with.
Most people will get away for the weekend and think it's the bees knees, buy after a few months you'll be scratching yourself all over, while yelling and conversing with your "friends".
You know it's entirely possible to live off the grid for the most part, even with a family. I guess it's usually dependent on whether the woman is up for it, but you might be surprised if you bring it up.
In all my travels I've found quite a few women who love the idea of being a family off the grid, providing it's not to the furthest extreme, like a hospital within reach for the kids.
You can homeschool the, build a greenhouse, get wind or hydro electric so you can still have some nice amenities, etc.
@fmjshooter
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 1:21:41 PM EDT
[#26]
The only person that I ever knew that wanted to do that was a guy I knew in high school. He was always a weird, squirrelly guy. A friend and I were both surprised to see that he had a collection of "Playboy" magazines collated in binders on his book shelf. We thought, his mother (single mother) was OK with him having a subscription to Playboy magazine?? Wow! Not in our parent's homes they wouldn't. I was visiting him once at his home with another school friend. He pitched us this ridiculous idea about buying a sailboat to sail around the world. We said no thanks because it was a bad idea. I asked him how he was going to get food and water when he ran out of both, in the middle of the ocean. He said no problem, that he had already thought about that. He said we could just stop by any of the many islands that were in the ocean to get food and fresh water. I asked him, "what islands?" He pointed out string of islands in a remote part of the Pacific Ocean on a globe of the Earth that he had in his room.  I pointed out one "fact" that he overlooked. Those islands are hundreds of miles apart. His intellectual response was "Oh." Also, it would not be easy finding food and fresh water on "some uninhabited islands" out in the middle of nowhere in the Pacific Ocean. That was the last time we saw him again. We later joked that he was probably stranded on a sailboat, shipwrecked on one of those "islands" with a years growth of beard, ripped up/shredded clothes, and slowly starving to death with only a small supply of Iguanas and rodents to eat.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 1:24:44 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
As has been alluded to up-thread, Christopher McCandless isn't a great example. Those versed in the outdoors and respectful of the challenge of that way of life understood that McCandless essentially committed suicide, such was his lack of preparation. Idealism and naivete born of comfy urban upbringing can be a dangerous combination; it is the same thinking that propels a young person to dangerous corners of the world in the belief that the environment and people will yield to their inherent superiority. You have to be a little bit full of yourself to think you can pull it off just by turning up.
View Quote
This shit happens in Alaska a lot more than you hear about.

People show up that proclaim to love the outdoors but have no real skills and wind up feeding the bears after freezing to death in some lonely camp.

I knew a couple of people that ended up that way and for that reason.

The theory on one is that he was afraid to get crossing a creek to get back to his camp where he could have dried himself out. He chose to freeze about 100 yards from his camp.

He was found after a bear ate him.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 1:32:29 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Piccolo, you seem like a really cool dude. Congrats man. I enjoy your posts!
View Quote
Thank you.

I am nothing but an old man that did it his way and ate dessert first. I never had a real job until I was almost 40.

By 50 my house had been paid off.

Sometimes I would like to retire to a liveaboard sailboat but I don't think my wife would buy it because I think she has grown too attached to stuff.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 1:46:47 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
its just trading one set of problems and stresses for another in another place
View Quote
Variety is the spice of life even with problems and stresses.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 2:01:40 PM EDT
[#30]
Yeah one of my best friends from High School completely disappeared one day. He was a tall, handsome lady's man type that everyone liked. Dude flipped out one day and vanished. Lived out of his car for several years and then took up with another man in Hawaii. Apparently he was closet gay. The guy who could get literally any girl, who lost his virginity to a hot babysitter when he was 13 was secretly homosexual. LOL.

Oh another one was an uncle of mine who made his living by embezzling and ripping people off, then he ripped off the completely wrong guy and had to run for his life. Running for your life isn't glamorous like the movies though so he ended up living in a one room loft behind a house in Gardnerville, NV. Either he surrendered to the FBI or somebody tipped them off but eventually he went to prison for a couple years.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 2:14:45 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Actually, Neither of them could hold a candle to Janice when it comes to that song.
View Quote
Janice had the most famous and best version, released posthumously, but it was like the 10th release of the song following Kenny Rodgers, Bill Haley and the mighty Sam the Sham.

To the OP, I met several in Thailand and Cambodia. Maybe a couple in Oregon, it's hard to tell up there if they dropped out or were never in.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 3:05:02 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
With no obligations, I've heard of people doing similar things.  Get tired of all the bullshit and just wander working odd jobs.  I had a college professor that was also a government consultant and said fuck it.  Last I heard, he was working roofing jobs in Colorado with a PhD in chemistry.  He left a tenured position at my undergrad university.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
My cousin did. Wasn't married and no kids. He quit his steady construction job, sold his house and left with little savings. Drove to New Jersey and then followed the coast down to Florida, living in his car. A year later he had turned up in Alaska working doing logging work. Last we heard he was in Montana but no one is sure where he is now. How does someone seemingly stable choose to become a homeless wanderer, and why?
With no obligations, I've heard of people doing similar things.  Get tired of all the bullshit and just wander working odd jobs.  I had a college professor that was also a government consultant and said fuck it.  Last I heard, he was working roofing jobs in Colorado with a PhD in chemistry.  He left a tenured position at my undergrad university.
Buddy has either a Master's or PhD in Nuclear Engineering, initially couldn't get a job in the nuke industry so ran his own custom cabinetry business, took a job in the nuke industry for a while, bailed on that, was a high school shop teacher for a while, and is now the chief of a volunteer fire department (he'd been a vollie the entire time other than when he was in school).
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 3:13:49 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I think it's not about running away from what is but more exploring what isn't.
"Grass is greener on the other side" Is often used incorrectly to describe ignorant decision making. Though often misguided, It's nothing more than natural human curiosity.

Whether the people that dappear to find  greener grass in detachment from modern society are enlighted or damaged is where I hit a wall. In theory, isolation or ignoring the rules of the game of existence, goes against the evolutionary molded mind. So wtf does that say about those who seem perfectly content when they do so?

I know through my own personal exploration the further I can Isolate myself from the modern world the more at peace I feel. Does that mean that's where I need to be? Or, does it mean I've failed at finding my place in the modern world and thus need to work harder at fixing that?

That I'm not miserable in my current life yet still find benefit in isolation further confounds my thinking.
View Quote
The modern world is wrong.  We're still built to meet or even SEE no more than 1,200 people in our entire lifetimes.  Modern society has so many people they become socially disposable.

We're meant to use our hands to transform the environment into consumables to stay alive.  Goods are made by machines we never see or touch.

If someone moves away from all that to be a PoS leeching off others, they're more damaged than enlightened; if they move away to run their own little farm or homestead, they're more enlightened than damaged.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 3:24:10 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
There was a Kung Fu master a bunch of years back who wandered from town to town.  He did it to right wrongs.  I don’t think he actually dropped out of sight though, because around the holidays he would still write Wongs.
View Quote
Last I heard he was just hanging out....
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 3:25:02 PM EDT
[#35]
No but I wish that I had when I was 18...
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 3:25:17 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

There was a guy who Bicycled coast to coast.

I didn’t think he would actually complete it.    I was wrong.

Who was it?    Is he still around?
View Quote
I'd love to do this.  I need to get fixed up physically/medically/spine wise long before doing it though.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 3:27:56 PM EDT
[#37]
Guy from my agency walked into the desk sergeant's office one night after an evening shift, dumped everything that had been issued to him on the desk, and left in his underwear and boots.

He then traveled to Alaska, worked in camps, then to Montana, where he became a game guide.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 3:29:51 PM EDT
[#38]
Have definitely thought about this.
Selling everything and paying cash for some land in rural Missouri somewhere and building a small off grid shack to use as a home base. Then spend more time exploring.

Here is a good book on the subject:
American Nomads
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 3:30:32 PM EDT
[#39]
I read 'My Side of the Mountain' at an impressionable age and often thought about walking away from it all. But as I got older and responsibilities (and possibly wisdom) grew I realized how impractical it would be.

I'm still restless but now I just look forward to retirement in a few years. I'm saving as much as I can in order to fund my new dream - to get a small place somewhere as a home base, then travel as much, as often, and as far as I can.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 3:54:43 PM EDT
[#40]
I knew a guy several years ago, he was a big real estate investor/developer in Canada.
He was worth 10's of millions of dollars in the 90's.
After his wife died, he decided he needed to devote himself to God.
He became a pastor, started traveling to the US and began spreading the word.

He had several children and he basically abandoned them.
He stopped checking on his finances and his investments.
He stopped checking on his kids.

He simply went missing one day and his kids called the FBI to look for him.

We thought he was dead. No one had heard from him for almost a year.

My father ran into him on the street one day, preaching the word of God.
He looked homeless.
My father told him he needed to at least call his children and let them know he was ok.
He laughed at my father and walked away quickly.

This was many years ago, I haven't thought about him in many years.
I wonder what became of him...
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 3:57:59 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I knew a guy several years ago, he was a big real estate investor/developer in Canada.
He was worth 10's of millions of dollars in the 90's.
After his wife died, he decided he needed to devote himself to God.
He became a pastor, started traveling to the US and began spreading the word.

He had several children and he basically abandoned them.
He stopped checking on his finances and his investments.
He stopped checking on his kids.

He simply went missing one day and his kids called the FBI to look for him.

We thought he was dead. No one had heard from him for almost a year.

My father ran into him on the street one day, preaching the word of God.
He looked homeless.
My father told him he needed to at least call his children and let them know he was ok.
He laughed at my father and walked away quickly.

This was many years ago, I haven't thought about him in many years.
I wonder what became of him...
View Quote
That is...haunting to say the least.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 4:03:44 PM EDT
[#42]
ost
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 4:12:45 PM EDT
[#43]
My wife's cousin vanished without a trace.
The feds are looking for him, He has managed to stay free for over a year.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 4:43:29 PM EDT
[#44]
I'd do it but my wife wouldn't approve.

I got kids and bills.

And then there's my job, I hate it.

Sweet death will save me.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 4:48:03 PM EDT
[#45]
Buddy of mine worked in Philly as a copier salesman for Sharp.
Lived with his girlfriend.

He left work on Monday and the boss said, "Hey Carl, are you leading that meeting tomorrow morning?"
"Sure thing, Bob.  See you bright and early..."

He got in his car and drove off.  Neither the boss nor the girlfriend heard from him again.

He showed up in NYC a few days later and started fresh.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 5:14:23 PM EDT
[#46]
had a buddy that wanted to move south and do that. He was like 18 and in florida, a medical assistant in some capacity. Moved to I think Costa Rica, worked restoring the old Land Cruisers they have there, figured out how to import them to America to sell. He gives tours, restores old trucks, and lives in the jungle. seems like a pretty sweet gig and he appears to be doing OK
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 5:19:40 PM EDT
[#47]
Search SV Delos on you tube.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 5:29:00 PM EDT
[#48]
Friend of a friend (can’t say I knew him well, met him once or twice) with a good career, wife, and kids just divorced his wife, quit his job, and disappeared. Few years later his (now grown) kids tracked him down at a homeless shelter somewhere (Fla?). He was an alcoholic, drug addled mess. They tried to clean him up but he just disappeared again. He died in another shelter in DC (Georgetown UG/MA) a few years later.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 5:29:37 PM EDT
[#49]
My cousin joined the Army in the mid to late 80's and pretty much disappeared. Uncle found out when he got a letter from the Army stating he was dishonorably discharged because he was a deserter. No one heard from him for years then one day he showed up. Then he'd disappear again. It wasn't until around the time my dad passed away he showed up again, he was married to a nice looking Asian chick and had a kid. Haven't seen not heard from him since.

Also, my uncle just up and disappeared too. Well... actually we all know what happened to him. He used to own a liquor store. He hired some chick to work there and he ended up spending a little too much time there. One day my aunt who was growing suspicious decided to bring him dinner at the store. She found the store closed but she went inside anyway. Found him in the office with his new hire and they were both naked. Whole thing ended up in a divorce and he just disappeared after that. No one has spoken to him since.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 5:30:36 PM EDT
[#50]
Then Came Bronson (Intro) S1 (1969)
Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top