Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/31/2023 11:09:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Considering that there are anywhere between 1,000,000 to 2,000,000 NICS queries EVERY MONTH and not all firearm purchases/acquisitions go through NICS, the actual number must be closer to a Billion. Guns are a durable consumer item. I have semi-auto guns that were made before WWI that are still fully functional.
Link Posted: 1/31/2023 11:20:05 PM EDT
[#2]
America can always use a few more guns.
-----------------------------------
Only a tiny fraction of U.S. counties account for nearly all of the
country’s homicides, according to research released Tuesday that showed a
striking concentration where killings take place.

The worst 31 counties — generally urban
jurisdictions — have about a fifth of the country’s population but
accounted for 42% of the country’s homicides in 2020, said John R. Lott Jr., president of the Crime Prevention Research Center, which conducted the study.

The worst 5% of counties accounted for 73% of homicides. That ticked up slightly from 69% in 2014 and 70% in 2016.

Meanwhile, 52% of counties recorded no homicides in 2020, and another 16% recorded only a single killing.

“Murders are a problem in a very small percentage of the counties in the United States,” Mr. Lott told The Washington Times.

Even in those higher-homicide counties, the crime is still concentrated, he said.

Mr. Lott crunched the data for Los Angeles
County and found that 10% of the county’s ZIP codes accounted for 41% of
the homicides. Another 10% accounted for 26% more.

Link Posted: 1/31/2023 11:26:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
All I know is, if anyone asks me, my response is, "Guns?  I don't own any guns.  Guns are icky."  

Just like Republicans tend to underpoll, gun owners probably underpoll by a much larger factor.
View Quote
M answer is non o ya. As in none. Of. Your. Business
Link Posted: 1/31/2023 11:27:41 PM EDT
[#4]
I made my first pair of "80%" lowers in 1998 IIRC. There was one source that we knew of (The Tannery in Oregon) that had a drill jig and a source for the lowers that would likely be called 50% lowers now. The first one took about 8 hours as all the tiny spring holes were separate setup steps and the cutting and taping of the receiver extension was critical. The second one took about half that amount of time and I did better on it.

Since then I've followed the 80% lower fad and bought three of the more recent manufacturer's jigs and a nice Sieg II 2D mill and can grind out a lower in 30 to 40 minutes. I cheat and use one jig to mill and another to drill in a separate drill press now so I save setup time converting the mill to a drill press.

I haven't gotten into 3D printing but like the 80% mills once the signal is loose it won't go back into the bottle either.

The technology has lowered the cost and skill level of producing a very functional firearm. The GhostGunner 3D mill is basically a "click" to mill.

Whatever the government decides to do they better do it with the understanding of what the results of their attempts have caused already and what will likely follow as they continue down the path to corrupt government oppression.
Link Posted: 1/31/2023 11:40:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Bill clinton ( shitweasel ), crowed about 300 million guns in citizens hands all the way back in 1994, I’m sure before that, and even then IMHO it was simply a wild ass guess, ( probably low ) as they simply have no clue how many were manufactured , imported, brought home by soldiers, huge variety of nazi weapons imported by the ship load for public sale, massive numbers of other surplus weapons imported, smuggled in by various actors, etc from the dawn of the USA, say, 1492 - 1968 before they really started paying attention. Then from 1968- today they still don’t, as their records suck.  Atf with their highly regulated machine gun registry can’t even tell you how many legal machine guns exist, much less how many regular guns are manufactured each year / were made / imported etc since 1968.

Anyway.. they have been crowing 300 million since at least 1994, and are still saying 300 million today usually, over so, 30 years. Imho it’s realistically probably 500 million easily, possibly 700 million, no one fucking knows.

And daily hundreds / thousands of new guns are sold, hundreds of thousands a year, just endlessly pouring into the gaping bottomless hole that’s American gun lovers create, plus billions of rds of ammo, accessories, magazines, and best of all, most of those guns manufactured a hundred years ago are still operating, working, and sitting in closets, gun racks even today.  USA possesses something like 1/2-3/4 of the guns on planet earth, despite only being 350 million out of 6 billion.

It’s mind boggling. It’s also….

https://i.imgur.com/6kHdrD1.gif
View Quote

The 300 million firearms in America number seems about as realistic as the15-20 million total illegals number to me.  One makes me happy it’s low, the other, not so much.
Link Posted: 1/31/2023 11:45:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

The 300 million firearms in America number seems about as realistic as the15-20 million total illegals number to me.  One makes me happy it’s low, the other, not so much.
View Quote

Yeah, been hearing about an invasion on the border for 30 years. If it’s true, it’s the worst invasion in the history of humanity. Nothing takes 30 years. Meanwhile all my buddies have suppressed ARs, which they didn’t have 10 years ago. American patriots own this ground, the proof is all around you.
Link Posted: 1/31/2023 11:53:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Yeah, been hearing about an invasion on the border for 30 years. If it’s true, it’s the worst invasion in the history of humanity. Nothing takes 30 years. Meanwhile all my buddies have suppressed ARs, which they didn’t have 10 years ago. American patriots own this ground, the proof is all around you.
View Quote

Interesting reply.  So I’ll assume you do believe in the 15 to 20 million illegals number,  that’s hasn’t seemed to change since the 80’s.  I never implied I was fearful about anything as well, I’m pretty happy with my state, concerning the 2A.
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 12:01:10 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I'll bet AFT has thought about it far more than any of us have. Probably from the same angle our military looks at the Russians and Chinese.
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/1/2023 12:18:08 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'll bet AFT has thought about it far more than any of us have. Probably from the same angle our military looks at the Russians and Chinese.

The AFT does seem to be the militant wing of our governments domestic terrorism apparatus, so agreed.
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 12:21:49 AM EDT
[#10]
I remember my first few months in Alaska and wondering how so many people had stamped MG's to blast with in the evening.
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 12:55:03 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I think it moved.

Who would be fighting?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Several years ago someone tried to estimate it using manufacturing, import, and registration numbers. They came up with 750 million to 1 billion firearms.
I think it moved.

Quoted:
God help the world if our country breaks into a hot civil war again.
Who would be fighting?

We would be fighting each other and if so, no way in hell would global forces be able to stop it due to all the guns already in the hands of Americans.
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 1:07:20 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
It doesn’t help if it’s like one older fat guy with 100 guns.

View Quote

Hard to do when you are in your 20s and working your ass off to be broke. But I'm making up for it now with way more than 100.
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 1:13:25 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Bill clinton ( shitweasel ), crowed about 300 million guns in citizens hands all the way back in 1994, I’m sure before that, and even then IMHO it was simply a wild ass guess, ( probably low ) as they simply have no clue how many were manufactured , imported, brought home by soldiers, huge variety of nazi weapons imported by the ship load for public sale, massive numbers of other surplus weapons imported, smuggled in by various actors, etc from the dawn of the USA, say, 1492 - 1968 before they really started paying attention. Then from 1968- today they still don’t, as their records suck.  Atf with their highly regulated machine gun registry can’t even tell you how many legal machine guns exist, much less how many regular guns are manufactured each year / were made / imported etc since 1968.

Anyway.. they have been crowing 300 million since at least 1994, and are still saying 300 million today usually, over so, 30 years. Imho it’s realistically probably 500 million easily, possibly 700 million, no one fucking knows.

And daily hundreds / thousands of new guns are sold, hundreds of thousands a year, just endlessly pouring into the gaping bottomless hole that’s American gun lovers create, plus billions of rds of ammo, accessories, magazines, and best of all, most of those guns manufactured a hundred years ago are still operating, working, and sitting in closets, gun racks even today.  USA possesses something like 1/2-3/4 of the guns on planet earth, despite only being 350 million out of 6 billion.

View Quote

I know there are way, *way* more guns than there are penises. Gun control is like trying to confiscate and control all penises because there are a few rapists. The mere suggestion that I'm in some way associated to criminals, because I'm a gun owner, is extremely offensive.
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 1:17:14 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I know there are way, *way* more guns than there are penises. Gun control is like trying to confiscate and control all penises because there are a few rapists. The mere suggestion that I'm in some way associated to criminals, because I'm a gun owner, is extremely offensive.
View Quote

If they stop trying to ban them, I probably wouldn't feel like I need to buy every single model I don't have yet.
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 1:27:27 AM EDT
[#15]
Think of the people just on this site, as well as the multiple millions of people who became new gun owners during the pandemic and the summer of 2020, that including 80%, frames, lower receivers, etc... There is easily over 1 billion firearms in civilians hands, if what i own is any idea of what a normal gun enthusiast owns, then this site is the most well armed small arms army in the world.
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 2:15:10 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

If they stop trying to ban them, I probably wouldn't feel like I need to buy every single model I don't have yet.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is the most ironic part of the whole gun control narrative. An ENORMOUS part of the reason there are so many guns in civilian hands is DIRECTLY BECAUSE of their attempts at gun control. Every time they talk about restricting or banning anything, folks immediately rush out to get as much as they can. Even to the point that mags dont go scarce after panics because everyone already has a shit ton. It directly results in more hardware on the streets.

Do they realize that?
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 2:24:39 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

That is the most ironic part of the whole gun control narrative. An ENORMOUS part of the reason there are so many guns in civilian hands is DIRECTLY BECAUSE of their attempts at gun control. Every time they talk about restricting or banning anything, folks immediately rush out to get as much as they can. Even to the point that mags dont go scarce after panics because everyone already has a shit ton. It directly results in more hardware on the streets.

Do they realize that?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do they realize that?

The vast majority of gun owners, like 99.99999999999999% will never use them to commit a crime.

They know this.

So banning guns only serves one purpose. That is to turn gun owners into felons overnight.

Imagine how it helps Democrats if gun owners, who mostly vote Republican, are felons.
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 2:30:22 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I remember when Ruger released the LCP. A few months later they announced a recall and it was 400,000 guns! also wiped out the .380 ammo inventory for the entire country for like a year.
View Quote

Lol dude i remember that! I was reloading those little bastards! Do you know how hard those are too reload?

Or to find even you shoot them?!

So difficult
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 3:31:58 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
There have been 443 Million NICS checks since introduces in 1998.  Add that to Clinton's 300 Million and you get 743 Million.

Although not all of those resulted in a gun purchase, it also doesn't reflect the number of multiple purchases or purchases without a NICS check by CCW permit holders.

The real number is probably closer to a billion.
View Quote

Not all those are new purchases. If a used gun is sold 3-4 times its 3-4 of those NICS checks. Some states do routine NICS checks to verify current CCW status too.

I would guess 500 million. 600 million tops.

Manufacturing records are published and should give some kind of idea.

Yes firearms have been selling very well and people's arsenals growing but for every mega gun owner with two dozen or more guns there is a few dozen liberals in the cities with no guns. Remember majority of America is urban with millions of people in the cities.
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 3:34:12 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I think they do know.

I think there are active attempts to downplay it.

How many magazines came into CA during Freedom Week?  How come that was never seriously discussed?  Very much 'pooh-poohed'.

Whenever I shoot in public, there is always an AR present--usually multiple.  If the AR isn't the most popular firearm in CA, I'll eat a bug.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Concentrations of population in the USA in the NE and W coast have little idea how common and ordinary an AR or three is for a family to own. Same with ordinary striker fired concealable pistols with reasonable capacities like 15+ rounds.

It's not particularly dangerous - it's sure not unusual - and the hundred million or more owners of common guns like that sure resent being told that they're outrageous for wanting to own such guns.

I think they do know.

I think there are active attempts to downplay it.

How many magazines came into CA during Freedom Week?  How come that was never seriously discussed?  Very much 'pooh-poohed'.

Whenever I shoot in public, there is always an AR present--usually multiple.  If the AR isn't the most popular firearm in CA, I'll eat a bug.

I think it is pretty much without question the AR is by far the most popular firearm in the country. It has changed a lot in twenty years.
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 3:37:35 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Do they realize that?
View Quote

Who cares. I got more Colts than ranches in Texas.

Every time Pelosi, Biden or whoever brings it up, I look to see which one I don't own yet and make it happen.

Here is my Pelosi rifle.

Link Posted: 2/1/2023 3:46:30 AM EDT
[#22]
Most are owned by WYPIPO, yet our murder rate is equivalent to W. Euro countries (usually disarmed for all intents and purposes), whereas the minority population owns (legally) fewer firearms per capita and their homicide rate is much higher in incidences per 100K, kinda like how the homicide rate is back in the old country for so many of them.
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 4:06:55 AM EDT
[#23]
Not enough
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 5:39:33 AM EDT
[#24]
You can use NICS records as a starting point to estimate.
Then, you'd also have to get stats from every state that does their own BGCs
Then guess that BGCs represent what, 80% of sales - probably 99% of new guns
Then some untold millions pre-BGCs
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 5:40:30 AM EDT
[#25]
I own lots of guns, in Minecraft.
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 7:15:04 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I have thought about it more than a few times.  My conclusion is usually the same; if guns really were the problem the left make them out to be, things would be significantly worse.  There's not a "gun problem".
View Quote

If we actually used them the way Jefferson imagined, things would be significantly better.
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 7:20:48 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Bill clinton ( shitweasel ), crowed about 300 million guns in citizens hands all the way back in 1994, I'm sure before that, and even then IMHO it was simply a wild ass guess, ( probably low ) as they simply have no clue how many were manufactured , imported, brought home by soldiers, huge variety of nazi weapons imported by the ship load for public sale, massive numbers of other surplus weapons imported, smuggled in by various actors, etc from the dawn of the USA, say, 1492 - 1968 before they really started paying attention. Then from 1968- today they still don't, as their records suck.  Atf with their highly regulated machine gun registry can't even tell you how many legal machine guns exist, much less how many regular guns are manufactured each year / were made / imported etc since 1968.

Anyway.. they have been crowing 300 million since at least 1994, and are still saying 300 million today usually, over so, 30 years. Imho it's realistically probably 500 million easily, possibly 700 million, no one fucking knows.

And daily hundreds / thousands of new guns are sold, hundreds of thousands a year, just endlessly pouring into the gaping bottomless hole that's American gun lovers create, plus billions of rds of ammo, accessories, magazines, and best of all, most of those guns manufactured a hundred years ago are still operating, working, and sitting in closets, gun racks even today.  USA possesses something like 1/2-3/4 of the guns on planet earth, despite only being 350 million out of 6 billion.

It's mind boggling. It's also .

View Quote
Private citizens in the United States own more guns than all the police and militaries of the world, combined. That includes our own. Let that sink in.
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 8:18:31 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
You can use NICS records as a starting point to estimate.
Then, you'd also have to get stats from every state that does their own BGCs
Then guess that BGCs represent what, 80% of sales - probably 99% of new guns
Then some untold millions pre-BGCs
View Quote

Plus all the “homemade” guns from 80% receivers.
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 8:51:47 AM EDT
[#29]
Not sure if colt serial numbers are consecutive but 31 caliber 1849 pocket revolvers were in the 188,000 S/N range in 1861.
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 10:15:58 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Not all those are new purchases. If a used gun is sold 3-4 times its 3-4 of those NICS checks. Some states do routine NICS checks to verify current CCW status too.

I would guess 500 million. 600 million tops.

Manufacturing records are published and should give some kind of idea.

Yes firearms have been selling very well and people's arsenals growing but for every mega gun owner with two dozen or more guns there is a few dozen liberals in the cities with no guns. Remember majority of America is urban with millions of people in the cities.
View Quote

The manufacturing reports/records program did not start until GCA '68.

Example:  No Winchester M12 is included in those numbers.
Nor any other firearm produced or imported prior to '68.
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 10:25:00 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Not sure if colt serial numbers are consecutive but 31 caliber 1849 pocket revolvers were in the 188,000 S/N range in 1861.
View Quote

Nearly 400,000 Colt SAA not included in government production records.
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 10:36:07 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

We would be fighting each other
and if so, no way in hell would global forces be able to stop it due to all the guns already in the hands of Americans.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Several years ago someone tried to estimate it using manufacturing, import, and registration numbers. They came up with 750 million to 1 billion firearms.
I think it moved.

Quoted:
God help the world if our country breaks into a hot civil war again.
Who would be fighting?

We would be fighting each other
and if so, no way in hell would global forces be able to stop it due to all the guns already in the hands of Americans.
Who is "we?" And, more importantly, whose side is .gov on?
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 10:46:29 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
All I know is, if anyone asks me, my response is, "Guns?  I don't own any guns.  Guns are icky."  

Just like Republicans tend to underpoll, gun owners probably underpoll by a much larger factor.
View Quote

but there is likely an agency that tracks all produced guns by licensees and could accurately say "ruger made 4.760038 million guns this year, 1.5 for export and 3.2 million for domestic..."
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 11:09:04 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I remember my first few months in Alaska and wondering how so many people had stamped MG's to blast with in the evening.
View Quote

@feetpiece if you were in Anchorage or Fairbanks many times you can hear the military ranges going at it. both have large military bases near them and the anchorage range was only like 3 miles from "down town" and would be audiable all over town due to accoustics of how the MG's would bounce off hte mountains. the pistol range is on teh approach path for the local small airport too so you can get "cease fires" called for a cessna.
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 11:10:07 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
It doesn’t help if it’s like one older fat guy with 100 guns.

View Quote

Hey!  I resemble that remark.

Link Posted: 2/1/2023 2:25:21 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

@feetpiece if you were in Anchorage or Fairbanks many times you can hear the military ranges going at it. both have large military bases near them and the anchorage range was only like 3 miles from "down town" and would be audiable all over town due to accoustics of how the MG's would bounce off hte mountains. the pistol range is on teh approach path for the local small airport too so you can get "cease fires" called for a cessna.
View Quote

I was stationed on FT Rich and there was lots of select fire in Wasilla out past Seldon when I first got there but it died out by the time I retired. To get that kind of freedom today I'd probably have to find a place near Healy to keep access to the highway and away from the methheads.
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 2:44:31 PM EDT
[#37]
I'm pretty sure that 300 million figure was left in the dust decades ago.

The actual total would be over 900 million.

I spoke with a manufacturer that I know a decade or more ago and we were discussing the total NFA registry, and he said even the ATF admitted that the "legal" NFA weapon list  wasn't  close to what is actually out in the wild.

Even if they could figure out a current total, that still could not cover all the 80% receivers that have been built by everyone with a milling machine or a printer.
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 3:53:03 PM EDT
[#38]
All I know is growing up every friends house I would go to had one of
those gun cabinets with the glass doors filled with rifles
Link Posted: 2/8/2023 6:53:15 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Right the "insurrection" that they want to put in the same level as Pearl Harbor and 9/11.  LOL. 95% of that crowd (aside from the glowie faggots) owns at least one AR and every fucking one of them left it at home. offsite, but nearby.

I can't imagine why they are terrified of average Americans. I really can't.

Motherfucker, you should be asking yourself if nukes are enough.

LOL
View Quote
FIFY
Link Posted: 2/8/2023 6:59:42 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I don't own any guns. Like dogs, guns are just part of my family.
View Quote
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/8/2023 11:17:51 PM EDT
[#41]
I love this thread.
Link Posted: 2/9/2023 4:29:59 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote

I am blown away by the sheer number of guns in my house.
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top