Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 1:01:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Glassdoor.com is the answer you seek.
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 1:06:21 PM EDT
[#2]
If you're honest all your career chances are they won't even do an exit interview.  I retired after 30 years working for a big company.  No one even asked why.  The politicians in managers clothing were probably as ready for me to leave as I was.

Back when we used to have to do a "where do you see yourself in 3 to 5 years" form every couple of years my first statement was always, "I have not patience for politics of bullshit."  My boss used to look at it and say, "You can't write that down."  I'd tell him that was how I felt, change it if he wanted to.

I am so glad I got out of that pit.
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 1:10:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My last day is tomorrow.

If they valued your opinion they would be paying for it.

Absolutely no personal good can come out of you venting.

None.
View Quote

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ This. And I'm telling you that having been on both sides of the table.
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 1:15:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 1:23:51 PM EDT
[#5]
I appreciate it when employees give me honest feedback whether in an exit interview or at any other time.  I can't change anything if I don't know it's a problem, sometimes I know about problems no one brings to my attention and assume they don't require action because no one brings them up and other problems take priority, and I know a lot of employees just assume that because "they see it" that I do as well, when that isn't always the case.

So while it may not benefit you in any way, it might benefit your co-workers.

ETA: To the "never burn bridges" crowd.  Want to guarantee I won't consider hiring you back in the future if the grass really isn't greener?  Refuse an exit interview or blow smoke up my ass during it.  I'll generally find out if you are, because I'll talk to your coworkers after you've left and in my experience you aren't as close lipped with them.

I only think "disgruntled employee" when I find someone has been bitching and moaning to everyone who would listen except the people who could do something about it.  And then I'm inclined to believe we're better off without you.

Link Posted: 5/19/2016 1:33:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
My last day is tomorrow.

None.
View Quote

I tend to agree with this however the reason why they do the exit interviews is so that they can help ID problems.  If there are serious issues, HR would want you bring them up.  There is value in that.  Just do it in a manner that does not burn bridges.
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 1:35:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Do you ever want to be able to come back to the company?
If yes, shut up.
If not, tell them the truth.
View Quote

As an added thought, it's likely that at some point you may want to use them for a reference.
Many reference checks hinge on a simple question - would you hire them again or not?

Now, when some guy gets called and pulls out your file 3 years down the line, what do you think his response is going to be when your exit interview reads like this:

Oh, and of course there's the whole prospect of working with them again as a vendor or consultant.

Smile and wave, it's been great, thanks, I've been presented with an opportunity that works better for my family, whatever.
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 1:36:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 1:39:26 PM EDT
[#9]
A little MBWA and they would stand a chance of knowing what was going on.

http://fortune.com/2012/08/23/management-by-walking-around-6-tips-to-make-it-work/

E-mails are not enough.
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 1:40:36 PM EDT
[#10]
If I were leaving because I hated the job, I wouldn't waste my time telling them shit......The Place could burn down to the ground for all I care.

One Job I left Because I just wanted to go in a different direction with my career, They asked me why I was leaving and I told them that. They also asked if I was leaving for more Money, I told them yes, lots more when really I was taking a pay cut to start.
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 1:45:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
They call them blind spots for a reason.  Many business problems exists because the people with the power to change them don't know they exist.

I do exit interviews with my team.  In 5 years, I've only had 1 quit, but dozens get promoted into better positions throughout the company.  Their feedback has been one of the most valuable things they contributed.

So I'd ask you this: While you have nothing to gain, the coworkers you've spent the last 10 years with do, are they worth 20 minutes of your time on the off chance your feedback makes an impact?
View Quote

Nope, because you're a unicorn and because the risk is mine while the reward isn't.
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 1:55:32 PM EDT
[#12]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Quoted:

Quoted:

My last day is tomorrow.

None.
I vent to my wife or Arfcom. I was thinking more along the lines of if no one tells them what is wrong, how can they change it?  

Already covered, they already know and they don't care.

Link Posted: 5/19/2016 1:57:25 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I tend to agree with this however the reason why they do the exit interviews is so that they can help ID problems to be sure they have their asses covered .
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

My last day is tomorrow.

None.

I tend to agree with this however the reason why they do the exit interviews is so that they can help ID problems to be sure they have their asses covered .

Link Posted: 5/19/2016 2:01:49 PM EDT
[#14]
I worked at a place that if you would turn in a two week notice they just let you go the day you turned it in, luckily I had a new job lined up at a major competitor that had former coworkers already there so they knew the backstabbing and lies the old job would try to say about my performance.

The old place really didn't have an HR dept and the exit interviews were done by the owner and your direct supervisor.
when I was done gathering up all my personal items I was called into the lunchroom for an exit interview and had my employee file as well as the exit paperwork spread out on the table, I walked in and they tried to act polite and be friendly and I just walked right by them and out to my car and drove off.

my now former supervisor called and I could hear the owner in the background demanding that I come back and I just laughed and said I was no longer part of the company and he cant demand shit from me.
I hung up and called the new job and told them I could start the next day and they told me sure and have now been here  for four years now and never been happier.

No one at the old shop knew where I was going and not a person there knew till about two years later and the owner went on a rampage and told everone there not to have any dealings with me or to buy anything from the company I am at now.

He would also try to prevent you from talking to former coworkers that either were quit or were fired
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 2:03:18 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Then what's the point of this thread?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Do you ever want to be able to come back to the company?

If yes, shut up.

If not, tell them the truth.
I've always been a firm believer it not burning bridges...

Then what's the point of this thread?
Curious what others thoughts and opinions are.

Link Posted: 5/19/2016 2:31:37 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

I did an exit interview at my previous employer.  The interview was requested by a new executive at the facility who was tasked with implementing a wide number of improvements (lean six sigma, inventory flow, and workflow improvements) & policy changes there...  For months they were holding "update" meetings saying how they're not going to lay anybody off, contrary to rumors, we're not going to be laying anybody off...  Blah blah blah.  They held 4 such company-wide meetings over ~7months.  That tells me - they're preparing for layoffs!

This new executive was making all kinds of improvements to the efficient operation of the facility, and we were seeing productivity increases company-wide!  However, the company was previously owned and run by a "Good Old Boys" club of upper & middle managers.  Upper management went along with the new executives' ideas - they knew hard times were approaching.  Middle management and supervisors were extremely resistant to change, turned the workers against these new policies (which would actually BENEFIT the workers), and all hell broke loose.  I was sick of it.  Quality control problems, middle managers & supervisors contradicting the new policies & executives' orders at every turn, and talking all kinds of lies & bullshit behind their backs.

I dusted up my resume, filled out applications, and got an amazing new job with a far better employer.  The following day I was going in to put in my 2 weeks notice, and they held another meeting - this time saying, "We're going to try to LIMIT the number of people we will have to layoff."  I put in my 2 weeks notice immediately after that meeting ended.

Immediately, I was called into a meeting by the newest, youngest executive, and he asked me for an exit interview...  I told him exactly what is going on behind his back, what supervisors and middle managers were saying & doing to resist these changes & improvements, what kind of entrenched mindset or mentality they need to overcome to successfully implement these changes, etc...

I didn't rant, I remained calm, composed, professional, and layed out my observations.  As he took notes, I told him how I was only leaving because I had accepted a much better job with a much better company with better benefits, thanked them for their efforts to improve the production efficiency, and thanked them for their time - then went back to work the rest of my 2 weeks notice off.

A few days later - I was called into another meeting.  There were more executives there, and they asked me all the same questions over again - I gave all the same honest answers, and they recorded everything.  At the end of the 1st week of my 2 weeks notice, they gave me the entire 2nd week off paid, and thanked me for my honesty and forthcoming exit interview.

Then the layoffs hit.  A lot of Middle Managers and Supervisors were kept on during the first layoff, but only long enough for them to train in replacements...  A series of 3 more layoffs happened, and a lot of the resistant mindset was culled from the lower & middle management.  A lot of the more unproductive workers were canned, and with their LSS, Process Improvements, and Workflow Improvements, the company saved a lot of jobs, and survived the economic downturn okay.  I was the first of many good & highly productive workers to leave the company - many of them followed me to my new employer, and are far happier here.

Exit interviews are an opportunity to make improvements, but be careful to make sure you don't burn any bridges on your way out.
View Quote
You are fortunate no one that got laid off figured out what you said.

In my experience, no matter the good hearted attempts at not letting it get out, it gets out. No way would I have allowed a recording of that meeting.
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 2:33:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Exit interviews are, IMO, largely to see if the departing employee will sue.

No point in candor as you walk out the door.

Anything you're gonna tell them, they already know and aren't going to do anything about.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I work for one of the largest employers in my state (county government, ranked 22nd largest employer in the state) and last year management implemented a formal exit interview process. A colleague of mine who recently left indicated they asked a lot of question and he "felt" they sincerely wanted to know his reasons for leaving, what could they improve, etc. My plan is to leave in about one year once I hit my ten-year mark and get my final tuition reimbursement check. My employer touts itself as being a fair, ethical, progressive, equal opportunity, blah, blah, blah employer but once you pull back the veneer of their business-speak they really aren't any different than most employers.

After talking with my colleague I had thought when it comes time for my eventual exit interview I would be honest with them and tell them I'm leaving because I'm tired of their unethical promotional practices, tired of seeing unqualified people get jobs because they were part of some clique or friends with a manager, tired of the work-place cultural double standard between management and staff for things like punctuality, deadlines, etc., and tired of how condescending and snobby many managers are towards staff. But then I thought, screw it, it benefits me in no way telling them this and I imagine that kind of feedback would be viewed as "just a disgruntled employee." After all, the issues I have with my employer (and reasons I'm planning to leave) are systemic workplace culture issues that while I may see as an issues, others don't.

What are your thoughts on exit interviews for departing employees? Tell it like it is? Or just smile and wave boys, smile and wave?

Exit interviews are, IMO, largely to see if the departing employee will sue.

No point in candor as you walk out the door.

Anything you're gonna tell them, they already know and aren't going to do anything about.

As usual, pp nails it.
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 2:52:34 PM EDT
[#18]
I wasn't honest with mine but I wish I had been.  They had a wage freeze but had money to build parks, buy vehicles, let employees drive vehicles home, fly the council to china to visit "sister cities".  I was one of a very few people that got a raise but I still wasn't making close to what I should be.  They offered me a lot of money to stay around a 30% increase but if I was so important why didn't they give me what they should have in the first place.  I kept my mouth shut because I wanted to keep my options open but they would have to give me a lot more than 30% to go back to that place.
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 2:54:09 PM EDT
[#19]
The closest to an exit interview I've ever had was when I quit one trucking company for another. I gave a proper two week notice in writing, as opposed to hurling my keys through the window, and continued doing an exemplary job.

On the day I left, the terminal manager caught up with me as I was waiting for Mrs. IHJ in the break room.  "What can we do to make you stay in with us?" Was his smarmy, insincere question. Just then, Mrs. IHJ's green Honda pulled up to the door.

"You had two weeks to ask me that question.." I said, as I walked out th door.

Fuck 'em..
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top