Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 5:34:11 PM EDT
[#1]
I had a 2007 335i with the N54 engine.

I absolutely babied that car.
Did all of the maintenance way before I was supposed to. The car maybe saw rain maybe twice in its life.

Owned it from 23k to 66k miles.
The amount if stupid shit that broke for no reason absolutely blew my mind.

I have zero faith in German cars at this point.

It was a fun vehicle to drive though.
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 5:36:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

And what did that coolant tank or regulator set you back (parts cost only)?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have a 2007 911 and it has been flawless

I just hit 90k 2 weeks ago and just had it Services at the Dealer

only big thing I had a few years ago was a Window regulator that had to be replaced and last year the expansion take for the coolant cracked and had to be replaced.

And what did that coolant tank or regulator set you back (parts cost only)?

@AZJeff

the Window regulator - parts and labor was about 1k

The Coolant Tank was $139.95 and the Labor was $588.77 - they have to drop the Engine to remove the tank

Link Posted: 2/5/2022 5:39:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

The GLB250's are having issues with the heads. The GLB250 and GLB35AMG use the same basic engine, the 260.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have a 2007 911 and it has been flawless

I just hit 90k 2 weeks ago and just had it Services at the Dealer

only big thing I had a few years ago was a Window regulator that had to be replaced and last year the expansion take for the coolant cracked and had to be replaced.

Oil change once a year

other maintenance that I had done over the years - Water Pump, Belt, Plugs and Coils, Breaks, Coolant and Break Flush, Tires

---

I am waiting on my GLB35 that I ordered last year - hopefully I will not have any problems with it

The GLB250's are having issues with the heads. The GLB250 and GLB35AMG use the same basic engine, the 260.

oh - that does not sound good

Link Posted: 2/5/2022 5:43:01 PM EDT
[#4]
6 year old Porsche Cayman here. 0 issues whatsoever. 40k miles
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 5:43:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

A friend of mine likes high-end cars, but can't afford new ones, so he's had a string of BMWs, Mercedes, Porsches and a couple Audis (Audi is a name, not an abbreviation).

Well, about 10 years ago now he had a used BMW 335i. It was a sweet sedan, dark blue, 6 speed manual with the twin turbo straight six. Holy fuck it was fun to drive. Well, the passenger side headlamp decided to leak, and water got into it, shorting something out. The car has a little computer thing that controls the lights, and apparently after something in a headlamp shorts a couple times, it completely disables the headlamp. Buddy didn't know that at first, and he's hella good at research. He ended up buying a used lamp assembly and having it replaced at a local shop... because you have to take the fucking wheel off, the fender lining and I believe part of the bumper. Got the new lamp in, won't work.

He figured out what the issue was. The lamp was disabled by the computer thing. There was literaly no way to re-enable it. IIRC, the computer equipment/tool thing that could do it doesn't exist in the US, so he had to replace the computer that controlled the lights. All in all he spent a bit over $2000 to fix a leaking headlamp.

He had a Z4 after that which kept blowing fuel pumps. There are two of them. IIRC, the high pressure one (same twin turbo straight 6 engine, lots of fuel needed for full power) died twice. It was driveable, but very nerfed. I forgot how much he spent on that.

When he bought that Z4, he gave me three "I told you so's", because he expected shit to break. LOL
View Quote

“Computer thing” is called a foot control module.
Found this about it:

The following components deliver signals for the footwell module:

Height sensors
Reversing light switch
Brake light switch
Hazard warning flasher switch
Light switch
Driver’s door switch block
Door contacts in front doors
Driver’s door lock
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 5:46:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

A friend of mine likes high-end cars, but can't afford new ones, so he's had a string of BMWs, Mercedes, Porsches and a couple Audis (Audi is a name, not an abbreviation).

Well, about 10 years ago now he had a used BMW 335i. It was a sweet sedan, dark blue, 6 speed manual with the twin turbo straight six. Holy fuck it was fun to drive. Well, the passenger side headlamp decided to leak, and water got into it, shorting something out. The car has a little computer thing that controls the lights, and apparently after something in a headlamp shorts a couple times, it completely disables the headlamp. Buddy didn't know that at first, and he's hella good at research. He ended up buying a used lamp assembly and having it replaced at a local shop... because you have to take the fucking wheel off, the fender lining and I believe part of the bumper. Got the new lamp in, won't work.

He figured out what the issue was. The lamp was disabled by the computer thing. There was literaly no way to re-enable it. IIRC, the computer equipment/tool thing that could do it doesn't exist in the US, so he had to replace the computer that controlled the lights. All in all he spent a bit over $2000 to fix a leaking headlamp.

He had a Z4 after that which kept blowing fuel pumps. There are two of them. IIRC, the high pressure one (same twin turbo straight 6 engine, lots of fuel needed for full power) died twice. It was driveable, but very nerfed. I forgot how much he spent on that.

When he bought that Z4, he gave me three "I told you so's", because he expected shit to break. LOL
View Quote

The part that failed is the FRM. The brick all the time. Any euro shop with a subscription to ISTA($25/day $250ish/month Factory BMW diag app) and the compatible Jbox/hardware can program the entire car.  Not a huge deal, but yeah...The module isn't cheap.  I charge 2 hours just to program a BMW ($280) plus the the part and install. $1500+ sounds about right to replace an FRM.
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 5:53:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Did all of the maintenance way before I was supposed to. The car maybe saw rain maybe twice in its life.

View Quote

Is that the twin turbo one?

Buddy sent his over on the rollback. He said it tossed the serp belt so just needed a new one put on.

Ya, fk no! The engineers that designed something that can fail is this manner should be in prison lol.

The fkn thing goes behind the crank pulley and gets rammed through the front main seal.
The timing chains are right here so I suspect at this point it sucked what was left of the belt into the crankcase like a spaghetti noodle.
All that bs in there clogs the oil pickup so you need to drop the pan and clean everything up.
You know that "X" in xdrive? That stands for X-tra fun when you have to do this job
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 6:01:28 PM EDT
[#8]
1) Never expect something called Exotic to be Reliable.

2) You can’t afford to buy a car used that you couldn’t afford to buy new.

3) Porsche makes vehicles with four doors and AMG badges adorn vehicles without hand assembled AMG V-8s. I won’t buy either because neither offer what I’m after, but they are still Porsches and AMGs.

4) Most Exotic buyers have the cars for the attention they bring. Some have them for the love of vehicular art.

5) The care and keeping of an old Exotic is either a lot of work with a good bit of expense, or no work with a great deal of expense.

Et cetera ad infinitum.
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 6:01:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I was considering an AMG Mercedes for a little while. Mainly because they lose value so fast you can get a few years old one for a small fraction of the price of a new one.

Everyone I looked at the car fax had it in the dealer every month like clockwork. I passed.
View Quote

They're a fun gamble if you either willing to dig into some dumb systems or have a good indie mechanic after depreciation does it's thing, but they still got 100k car parts/maintenance costs on a good day.
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 6:01:52 PM EDT
[#10]
I daily an older German wagon. Back in 2003 it was ~$50,000 car. It's been fantastic. That's getting pretty close to $100k in today's money.

My list of issues are has follows:

Intake changeover mechanism failed. Cost: $7 for the OEM Hella vacuum solenoid.

PCV vacuum leak. Looks like I broke a latch when replacing part of it. I'm a few 100 into fixing that one due to not being able to actually find the issue in any conventional way. If anyone actually had that part in stock it would be fixed.

My dad broke the sun visor latch and my interior color is no longer made. $10 for replacement.

Original sun visor became floppy. $40 for replacement.

Mirror motor failed. Bought an entire mirror with glass for $40 shipped.

Maintenance done:

Oil changes

Plugs and coils

Shocks (Koni adjustable Yellows are amazing!)

Ball joints for the front end

CV axle due to blown boot

Clutch and flywheel due to failing DMF

Clutch master and slave due to failed master (on the way back from knob creek)

Car is a 3.0 AVK with a 2.7T TTV 16lb SMF and B7 RS4 clutch. JHM tune. Has 180,000 miles on it as of today. It has all the extras. Power folding mirrors, auto dimming mirrors, mirror moves when it goes into reverse, you name it. Has all the fancy tech from the early 2000s. I love it and when it's time will replace it with another German.

My parents drive a never Audi. Cheaper one.

Repairs:

Intake plenum due to failed changeover flap causing excessive boost and vacuum leak at ~225,000 miles.

Failed fuel pump around 120,000 miles.

Oil consumption fixed by rings and pistons (very common with the 2.0T) fixed around 110,000 miles out of warranty at no cost by the dealer.

It is currently at 235,000 miles on the original shocks, clutch, fluids, CVs, etc. It's only had 1 brake job in all those miles.

I'd buy another in a heartbeat but forget the stupid fancy crap. Give manual tranny and a.big.motor with AWD and I'll be tickled!
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 6:04:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

Obviously it's not all of them. Just a high number have come through. Are you doing prepaid maintenance? If not, do it. It'll save you money in the long run and dealers look at that stuff if you have the vehicle past the warranty and something happens when deciding whether or not to goodwill a repair. And try to stick to the same dealership.
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 6:10:02 PM EDT
[#12]
my '03 330ci is at 243k miles, needs a bunch of stuff, waiting for summer to crawl under.  Big bill if I don't do it myself. not even a quarter million miles before major repair, what a piece of shit.
07 z4 3.0si  @ 102k needs thermostat o-ring ($5)

should have bought a chevy celebrity.
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 6:12:14 PM EDT
[#13]
The older BMW 3 and 5's make nice hosts for an LS swap .  Examples with dead motors and nice interiors are plentiful and cheap.
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 6:14:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Obviously it's not all of them. Just a high number have come through. Are you doing prepaid maintenance? If not, do it. It'll save you money in the long run and dealers look at that stuff if you have the vehicle past the warranty and something happens when deciding whether or not to goodwill a repair. And try to stick to the same dealership.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was planning on doing that and now will do it for sure

I ordered it in September of last year - it was supposed to be here in December

now sometime this Month - will see if that holds true

Link Posted: 2/5/2022 6:15:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Maintenance done:

Oil changes

Plugs and coils

Shocks (Koni adjustable Yellows are amazing!)

Ball joints for the front end

CV axle due to blown boot

Clutch and flywheel due to failing DMF

Clutch master and slave due to failed master (on the way back from knob creek)

Car is a 3.0 AVK with a 2.7T TTV 16lb SMF and B7 RS4 clutch. JHM tune. Has 180,000 miles on it as of today. It has all the extras. Power folding mirrors, auto dimming mirrors, mirror moves when it goes into reverse, you name it. Has all the fancy tech from the early 2000s. I love it and when it's time will replace it with another German.

View Quote

Plugs/coils fairly common.

Konis are nice.

Ball joints/control arms. FCPEuro has decent prices, and lifetime warranty for next time (they actually do this with the oil change kits also if you want to go down that road ).

On cv axle, they eat those boot quite often. Usually better to just replace the boot, unless you got the new one from somewhere like Raxles. The OEM is waayyy better than the aftermarket.

DMF, bastards started using plastic parts to hold everything centered. Shit design.

I rarely see master/slave fail on those, although exploding a slave on install is pretty much a rite of passage with these things

Iirc, those AVK were know for oil burning and headgasket issues.
On that 2.7 clutch, you shouldnt have stopped there, the 2.7 pretty much drops in

Link Posted: 2/5/2022 6:16:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Buddy sent his over on the rollback. He said it tossed the serp belt so just needed a new one put on.

Ya, fk no! The engineers that designed something that can fail is this manner should be in prison lol.

The fkn thing goes behind the crank pulley and gets rammed through the front main seal.
The timing chains are right here so I suspect at this point it sucked what was left of the belt into the crankcase like a spaghetti noodle.
All that bs in there clogs the oil pickup so you need to drop the pan and clean everything up.
You know that "X" in xdrive? That stands for X-tra fun when you have to do this job
View Quote

meh, best BMWs are RWD anyway.
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 6:17:14 PM EDT
[#17]
"Doesn't matter they get a new one every 12-36 months, lease or buying"

- Owner of a Benz dealership (family friend)
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 6:19:00 PM EDT
[#18]
My wife has a Volvo XC70. It was some insane amount of money. It's constantly fucking broken starting at at around 30k. Something is ALWAYS breaking on it. I had to have it towed 40 miles the other day because some belt tensioner thing exploded and took down the power steering with it. It's like a joke. We make bets on many more days it will run before something else explodes.
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 6:22:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
He should just get a 911 and be done.
View Quote

yes.
german (bmw, audi, mercedes) biz model is 3 years lease, followed by another 3 year lease. they can be full of electrical gremlins, repairs are expensive and now a lot of the engine parts are plastic which become brittle after a few years and crack, and replacement parts are expensive. porsche.. may be more reliable long term.. but they are expensive.
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 6:24:59 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
You're not paying for reliability, you're paying for the brand and being able to show off to everyone else that you're rich enough to afford the maintenance costs.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 6:29:26 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

We're not seeing a lot of them coming off the trucks. Getting more from Alabama than anywhere else- GLCs, GLEs and some Cs. GLBs are out of Mexico. We have a GLB35 in the showroom now.
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 6:35:46 PM EDT
[#22]
shit.  now i have to spend three hours looking at portias online. fuckers.
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 6:37:24 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup I knew a couple people that had the belt sucked in, found its way through the front main seal, then clogged up the oil pickup and starved the engine of oil.

To add insult to injury in 2007 and also alittle bit of 2008 if the engine mounts get weak the crank pully can smack the sub frame and instantly cause the issue I mentioned above.

They had to redesign the sub frame to make sure this didn't happen in the future.

I'm not convinced that the Germans are master engineers at this point.
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 6:38:43 PM EDT
[#24]
Basically, any automobile or truck made in Germany or UK  is going to be problematic and expensive. The hamlet where I work is home to music industry executives and performers, every third vehicle is a Mercedes, BMW, Audi or Land Rover. The smart money drives a Lexus.
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 6:39:55 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Basically, any automobile or truck made in Germany or UK  is going to be problematic and expensive. The hamlet where I work is home to music industry executives and performers, every third vehicle is a Mercedes, BMW, Audi or Land Rover. The smart money drives a Lexus.
View Quote

I agree, but it would be damn hard to turn down a 911 if you could afford it.
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 6:42:48 PM EDT
[#26]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You're not paying for reliability, you're paying for the brand and being able to show off to everyone else that you're rich enough to afford the maintenance costs.

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/hes_right_you_know-328.jpg

If we're being honest, you're really paying for the manufacturer to go racing.
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 6:43:40 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

We're not seeing a lot of them coming off the trucks. Getting more from Alabama than anywhere else- GLCs, GLEs and some Cs. GLBs are out of Mexico. We have a GLB35 in the showroom now.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

yeah they are being assembled in Mexico and as far as I read the Engine comes from China

@Leeland111

are you able to see if they started production again in Mexico?

this is how it's gone look - Galaxy Blue

options they are not able to deliver and where removed from my Order - Dashcam, Burmeister Stereo, Wireless Charging and Augmented Reality  

Link Posted: 2/5/2022 6:46:32 PM EDT
[#28]
i have a 2003 subaru wrx, bought the summer of 2002. so this summer, that car will be 20 years old. all ive ever done is change fluids, new tires and fix brakes. the transmission shifts like a box of rocks (well known short coming). in 2011, i upgraded the car, id1000 injectors, fuel pump, bigger turbo, bigger top mount, cobb turbo back, tuned it myself (cobb access port and access tuner race). so i've been driving that car for 11 years since i modified it. runs on e85 or 93 (dual tune). i did do a conservative level 3 tune.

i also have a 2014 fiesta st turbo. its a nice car but ive had issues. there is a little plastic part that activates the blend door for heating and air. cost 15 bucks. i replaced it. very tough job as its way behind the dash. i think dealer repair is 300 or 400 bucks. the clutch slave went out. its a cheap plastic part INSIDE the transmission. you have to drop the tranny to replace it. cost a bunch. i didnt do that one myself. and the valve body that controlled the brakes went out. was expensive to fix and you have to program the damn thing with special software for your car.

for manufacturers, at least the vast majority, cost reduction to manufacture is the only thing they care about. cheap parts, often plastic, complicated assemblies. there are exceptions, toyota land cruiser for instance, and perhaps high end porsches but everything else is screwed.
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 6:58:12 PM EDT
[#29]
Besides the members here who have posted many threads with high dollar Euro cars being fixed I find the Car Wizard on YouTube to be an excellent source of info in terms of dealing with exotics and Euro cars.

Of course, my experience with BMWs was a long time ago and not so good.  Who knew a 5 year old Honda or Toyota would be a better car than a 5 year old 7 series?

I've personally never had a love affair with European cars but my coworker can't help himself and just never quits working on them.  Of course he grew up there so it's what he knows.
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 7:20:24 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

yes.
german (bmw, audi, mercedes) biz model is 3 years lease, followed by another 3 year lease. they can be full of electrical gremlins, repairs are expensive and now a lot of the engine parts are plastic which become brittle after a few years and crack, and replacement parts are expensive. porsche.. may be more reliable long term.. but they are expensive.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

yes.

I guess it depends on your definition of expensive. A car that costs more up front but has few problems and a great residual value seems less expensive to me than a car with a lower sticker price that is going to be a maintenance nightmare and have low residual value.

Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree, but it would be damn hard to turn down a 911 if you could afford it.

You really can’t put a 911 in the same category as the others. Something like 70% of all Porsches made are still all on the road.
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 7:30:28 PM EDT
[#31]
Cheap car master race
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 7:57:28 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
You really can’t put a 911 in the same category as the others. Something like 70% of all Porsches made are still all on the road.
View Quote

The Porsche boxer engine cars are a very different beast.

He who I shall not name wanted to take Ferrari in that direction, but Porsche has a base level of reliability and simplicity that is uncommon, and expected. He couldn’t get it done with a list of bespoke customizations.

The little things Porsche owners complain about and want repaired are considered “quirks you learn to live with” with other cars in its class.
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 8:06:31 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

He who I shall not name wanted to take Ferrari in that direction, but Porsche has a base level of reliability and simplicity that is uncommon, and expected. He couldn’t get it done with a list of bespoke customizations.

The little things Porsche owners complain about and want repaired are considered “quirks you learn to live with” with other cars in its class.
View Quote

IMS bearings?
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 8:08:59 PM EDT
[#34]
You guys either flog your cars to death or you're seriously unlucky.

In the last 25 years or so, a Z3 3.0, 328i, 330ci ZHP, 335i and a 640, all bought new. The door seal on 330 fell out in the Florida heat, and I think the sunroof mechanism went out of sync on the 328. That's the sum total of the non-consumable maintenance on five cars.

Bought my 2011 Z4 35is two years ago at about 70K miles. One owner, a tech exec (he left some paperwork crammed in the manual) who kept flawless records. He replaced the head gasket at about 55K, everything else was routine. It's my summer/weekend car now, but everything works beautifully and it's a blast to drive. The power roofs do have a reputation, and I'm sure it's coming eventually, but that's a small price to pay for what it gives back.

Link Posted: 2/5/2022 8:10:16 PM EDT
[#35]
CAR NINJA! AGA Tools Lift Table

There's a channel from an independent mechanic who used to work on BMW's for factory dealers.

You can get an idea on the quality of BMW's there.

(Hint: It's a shitshow)

The high performance models almost always have some huge repair-bill-higher-than-the-vehicle-value level problem. I think the worst in recent memory is the V10 BMW M5. The V8 M3 had bearing issues, IIRC, the prior generation to that had some sort of issues, the 7 series engines had all manner of problems, etc.

There's a reason why a car that started out at around 100 grand is worth 20 six or seven years on.

That V10 M5 was an amazing drive around a race track. And if you had the money to burn, it would have been immense fun until it started shitting the bed.

If you need a vehicle to be reliable transportation, you don't buy exotics or German luxury. If you want luxury and reliability over the long term, you buy Lexus.
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 8:12:13 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
You guys either flog your cars to death or you're seriously unlucky.

In the last 25 years or so, a Z3 3.0, 328i, 330ci ZHP, 335i and a 640, all bought new. The door seal on 330 fell out in the Florida heat, and I think the sunroof mechanism went out of sync on the 328. That's the sum total of the non-consumable maintenance on five cars.

Bought my 2011 Z4 35is two years ago at about 70K miles. One owner, a tech exec (he left some paperwork crammed in the manual) who kept flawless records. He replaced the head gasket at about 55K, everything else was routine. It's my summer/weekend car now, but everything works beautifully and it's a blast to drive. The power roofs do have a reputation, and I'm sure it's coming eventually, but that's a small price to pay for what it gives back.

View Quote

Head gasket?
Those engines have very strong HG's not even sure I've ever heard of one failing even we they're pushing 800whp.
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 8:12:24 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

IMS bearings?
View Quote

How many engine failed due to the IMS? It's basically a non issue at this point and can be fixed relatively cheap and easily if somebody wants to.
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 8:17:11 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

IMS bearings?
View Quote

How many owners do you know who had the failure Vs had it “repaired” or dumped the car because of the fear?

Porsche owners freak out over paint pealing from the AC knobs. Tell them something could possible be wrong with their engine then sit back and wait for the money to roll in.

ETA: Lest I be accused of something or other here is my 987. It just recently turned over 80k.
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 8:18:15 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

the 997's are know for the A/C controls to wear rand become sticky

mine is not that bad as in this picture  - I could buy parts to fix it but I just ignore it and

Link Posted: 2/5/2022 8:19:59 PM EDT
[#40]
One might not call it “expensive”, but my Ford Raptor has been trouble free.
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 8:20:43 PM EDT
[#41]
The high performance imports have lots of issues.  Got my '08 335xi with 125,000 miles.  I did some maintenance, replaced the cv axles and balanced the drive shafts.  Its been great and a lot of fun.
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 8:22:49 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

IMS bearings?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

IMS bearings?

only the early once M96 Engine - but you can replace that with a improved IMS Bearing (2000 to 2005)

there are a few different solutions to address that

the M97 don't have that problem and when the DFI Engine was introduced in 2008 that problem was eliminated

my 911 has the M97 Engine with 90k+ Miles on it

Link Posted: 2/5/2022 8:26:34 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

How many owners do you know who had the failure Vs had it “repaired” or dumped the car because of the fear?

Porsche owners freak out over paint pealing from the AC knobs. Tell them something could possible be wrong with their engine then sit back and wait for the money to roll in.

ETA: Lest I be accused of something or other here is my 987. It just recently turned over 80k.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/83325/5FE15D48-F473-4832-BC84-B09210ED39D1-1880698.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

IMS bearings?

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/83325/5FE15D48-F473-4832-BC84-B09210ED39D1-1880698.jpg

nice looking Car

there are two tacked threads on Rennlist about the IMS and bore scoring issues

Link Posted: 2/5/2022 8:29:20 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
The "high end" German cars are no longer the quality they used to be, Porsche being the exception. You are paying for a brand name.
View Quote

It's all VW group.  Why would a Porsche fare any better than an Audi?
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 8:33:00 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

It's all VW group.  Why would a Porsche fare any better than an Audi?
View Quote

Yeah its been part of VAG for a decade but the family still holds a big stake and has a lot of say in what goes on. Porsche GmbH still controls it's own destiny to a large degree
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 8:34:49 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

only the early once M96 Engine - but you can replace that with a improved IMS Bearing (2000 to 2005)

the M97 don't have that problem and when the DFI Engine was introduced in 2008 that problem was eliminated

View Quote

Always wondered why they thought it was a good idea to use what was pretty much a sealed wheelbearing there, when it would prob be easy to have ran something they could get oil to.
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 8:34:55 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I've had Lexus, AUDI and currently i have a Mercedes E350AMG.  

I'll be going back to Lexus shortly here once i sell the AMG. Let me explain how complex my Mercedes is; it cost me $450 to change a faulty turn lamp on my mirror housing. Once the lamp went; some genius in Germany decided to wire the entire system together.  SO, as INCREDIBLE as it sounds, once the mirror housing bulb went out; the car would go to limp mode and you'd be lucky to get it up to speed on the highway.   THATS how stupid German engineering is.  

Oh, and you cant just replace the bulb. You have to replace the mirror housing assembly; its $450.

Before that, I had a Lexus IS350 that was basically bulletproof; I would change the oil twice a year and that was it. ZERO. NOTHING EVER WENT WRONG WITH IT. The Lexus dealer would get it done in 45 minutes, as i sat in a massive, beautiful Lexus dealer, sipping on premium coffee and free bagels.  I cant wait to go back to Lexus.
View Quote

That's Orange County Choppers level stupid.   I remember when they wired the ignition for Jay Leno's bike in series with the brake light...Jay gave Senior shit about it on his show.
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 8:38:46 PM EDT
[#48]
lol every time I see a BMW, I automatically assume the person driving it is insecure and drowning in debt.
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 8:41:38 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Always wondered why they thought it was a good idea to use what was pretty much a sealed wheelbearing there, when it would prob be easy to have ran something they could get oil to.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Works just fine if you use the car as intended.  Drive it 17mi a week and never crack 3,000rpm and you may have issues. Fact is most 911's and boxers from that era haven't had issues and never will.
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 8:41:40 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

no idea why they went that way - cost savings?

from the few threads on Rennlist some people with the M97 Engine had the rubber seal removed when they addressed the RMS seal leaking.

Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top