Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/7/2021 5:59:17 PM EDT
[#1]
It was a shame most of the time these were birds were not just exposed to the salty environment but one also the rich in corrosive sulfur exhaust from the Forrestal and Kitty Hawk Class ships.  Maintenance would have been reduced if they spent more time on Nuke boats.
Link Posted: 8/7/2021 6:09:14 PM EDT
[#2]
I was on the Stennis when VF-211 lost an F-14A when the tailhook departed the aircraft during an arrested landing.
https://avgeekery.com/watch-nothing-could-stop-this-tomcat-including-the-crew-ejecting/
Junk.
Link Posted: 8/7/2021 6:24:02 PM EDT
[#3]
I need to go through my photo's and see if I can dig up a picture of a Tomcat that landed at Ali Al Salem AB, Kuwait, spring of 2004.

I was lucky enough to be in the area with a camera that morning when it landed. We also had an S-3 Viking spend some time on the ramp, USS George Washington (CVN-73).

I wonder if the Tomcat was from the same ship ?
Link Posted: 8/20/2021 8:14:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Now this is just rubbing their noses in it.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/77154/Tu-95_F-14A_jpg-2043555.JPG
View Quote

That lucky guy just happened to show up at shift change...
Link Posted: 8/20/2021 8:17:05 PM EDT
[#5]
I miss President Reagan, it sure was a great time to be in....
Link Posted: 8/20/2021 8:22:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Took these on the U.S.S. Yorktown down in Charleston, S.C. back in January. I, however, had the *fun* of working on the pigs, periodically.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

I *much* preferred working on these two, however...
Link Posted: 8/21/2021 10:15:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/21/2021 10:23:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Some bathroom videos for you all:

DCS: F-14 - LAUNCH TRAILER - This is War

DCS F-14 Tomcat Symphony - VF211 Cruise Video - WESTPAC 2000 (English version)

DCS F-14: The Need for Speed

DCS F-14B Tomcat: The Sound of Freedom

Link Posted: 8/21/2021 10:27:07 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
It was in reality a pretty shitty plane. Once they got bounced off the carrier a few times and exposed to salt air for a few weeks, none of the magic systems worked. On paper they could turn, but as an adversary my philosophy was to make them prove it, and not one ever did. And you could see them forever and ever amen.
View Quote

You are now my least favorite fighter pilot on this board, including CMJohnson
Link Posted: 8/21/2021 10:40:53 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
It was in reality a pretty shitty plane. Once they got bounced off the carrier a few times and exposed to salt air for a few weeks, none of the magic systems worked. On paper they could turn, but as an adversary my philosophy was to make them prove it, and not one ever did. And you could see them forever and ever amen.
View Quote

This hurts because I know it's true.
Link Posted: 8/21/2021 10:55:18 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
It was built as a sole purpose Phoenix missile platform. Anything above and beyond that was really gravy.

F-14 and F-111 are my two favorite airplanes.
View Quote

Interesting that you bring up the F-111. The Navy's F-111B was actually a superior interceptor to the F-14 in several key aspects (top speed, range, and number of Phoenix missiles). The F-14 tried to be more of a "do it all" fighter like the F-4 while retaining the AWG-9/Phoenix combo and sort of ended up with the worst of both worlds.

https://influenceofhistory.blogspot.com/2018/08/the-f-111b-missed-opportunity-1961-1968.html
Link Posted: 8/21/2021 10:57:54 AM EDT
[#12]
It was my favorite as a kid.
Link Posted: 8/21/2021 10:58:52 AM EDT
[#13]
The tomcats were never this cool

Link Posted: 8/21/2021 11:01:26 AM EDT
[#14]
Loved the looked of the F14.  The F15 is pretty cool too.  F18 and F16 look good too.
Link Posted: 8/21/2021 11:11:21 AM EDT
[#15]
Digital flight controls/fly by wire have basically eliminated the need to do complex brute-force aero like the swing wings on the F-14. Modern fighters' control surfaces look like they have Parkinson's as they adjust constantly to maneuver the aircraft based on computer control logic, not direct pilot inputs.

Sensor fusion and advanced avionics in 5th gen aircraft are hugely helpful to situational awareness and are obviating the need for a back-seater on most missions. Heck, even the carrier landing automated systems are getting so good that NAVAIR is changing the aircrew pipeline so student pilots don't have to carrier qual until they reach a RAG.
Link Posted: 8/21/2021 11:13:00 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

how easy were they to pick up on radar?
Link Posted: 8/21/2021 11:14:38 AM EDT
[#17]
Folks manstruating about the Mooj getting the ANA's crap need to watch this, twice:

Iran's F-14 Program: The Grumman Challenge
Link Posted: 8/21/2021 11:35:40 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Ward is cancelled because he said things about jan 6.
View Quote

Are you serious
Link Posted: 8/21/2021 11:42:23 AM EDT
[#19]
I must be one of those weirdos that thinks an F15 looks better than an F14.
Link Posted: 8/21/2021 11:48:17 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Are you serious
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ward is cancelled because he said things about jan 6.

Are you serious

Just watched his channel last night.
Link Posted: 8/21/2021 11:50:13 AM EDT
[#21]
See that 2nd pic in the op? Yellowtail launching a phoenix. As night shift maintenance chief, my AQ's started working A/C at 3 in the afternoon, trying to get clean sweeps on systems. We met day shift the next morning and still wasn't finished. We ended up launching a phoenix, sparrow and sidewinder that day, all scored good kills.
The 1 time launched for real at Iranian F4, the 1st sparrow come off the A/C, had no motor ignition, fired a second, good ignition, good guide, crew broke lock to avoid flying over Iranian territory. The Co of USS Constellation was screaming in my radio to impound that A/C. "Freelance I want that aircraft impounded" Like where to the hell you going to hide and F-14?
You all live in a fantasy world. All it was is a showboat. As long as you were careful with throttle movement to avoid compressor stall, didn't loose a fan blade, didn't fly ACM with the alpha computer to avoid flap/slat lockout, didn't crack a 400 degree ECS duct and delam the intake wall. I came to work one Monday at Miramar, 14 out of 14 hard down aircraft. Multiple A/C down for flap/slat lockout. About 12 manhours to remove and replace the gearbox, 30 minutes to remove and replace a shearpin in that gearbox. And if you happen to be at Fallon, you were supposed to send the gearbox to Miramar for repair.
Fun for a gearhead but not always condusive to a flight schedule. You think automotive engineers are lost in space? You haven't seen anything until you see Grumman Iron Works.

Link Posted: 8/21/2021 12:09:59 PM EDT
[#22]
I read somewhere the phoenix missile system the f14 was build around wasn't all it was cracked up to be. We sold the idea that one f14 could track and kill mulitple enemy a/c at huge distances. The rooskies bought it hook line and sinker. Reality was the missles were unreliable and so was the radar to missle handshake. Suposidly

Heard they were a maint. nightmare too. Swing wings are so many extra moving parts and systems.

Link Posted: 8/21/2021 12:23:22 PM EDT
[#23]
One of my favorite F14 videos
Speed & Angels - The Deepest Blue
Link Posted: 8/21/2021 12:24:55 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
It was built as a sole purpose Phoenix missile platform. Anything above and beyond that was really gravy.

F-14 and F-111 are my two favorite airplanes.
View Quote

This is correct.
It's role was a defender of the fleet, and to intercept enemy aircraft at long range.  
That's it.  To keep aircraft from attacking our Navy's ships.  
That's why no one other than Iran purchased it.  
It wasn't really meant to go toe to toe with another fighter; hence the longer range phoenix system.

They did try to multi-purpose it during Desert Storm, with the ability to drop ordnance, but that came late in the "fighter's" life.
Link Posted: 8/21/2021 12:58:32 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 8/21/2021 1:07:08 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I read somewhere the phoenix missile system the f14 was build around wasn't all it was cracked up to be. We sold the idea that one f14 could track and kill mulitple enemy a/c at huge distances. The rooskies bought it hook line and sinker. Reality was the missles were unreliable and so was the radar to missle handshake. Suposidly

Heard they were a maint. nightmare too. Swing wings are so many extra moving parts and systems.

View Quote

I read a bit different. The AIM-54 was GREAT at shooting down big, lumbering TU-95’s but was ineffective against an adversary that could turn.
Link Posted: 8/21/2021 3:03:14 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

What VF squadron were you assigned to?  What model of F-4?  N or S? Saw VF-202 do the final transition from Phantom to Tomcat.  
I also was active as well and know the F-14s from the west coast gave a good account for themselves in exercises.
Link Posted: 8/21/2021 3:07:32 PM EDT
[#28]
For better or worse, they were absolutely critical in Iran's war against Iraq in the 80s. The best F-14 pilot is an iranian ace with 11 kills.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jalil_Zandi
Link Posted: 8/21/2021 3:13:09 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
It's just sitting there!! I'll go get it!

Front lawn decoration... HOA will LOVE ME!!
View Quote
Just plant some corn around it.
Link Posted: 8/21/2021 4:47:36 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Took these on the U.S.S. Yorktown down in Charleston, S.C. back in January. I, however, had the *fun* of working on the pigs, periodically.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/476019/20210113_140110_jpg-2060041.JPG
I *much* preferred working on these two, however...
View Quote

I never knew Charleston SC was such a rough town.   They parked that A-6 and someone stole the wheels.

Unless it was Charleston WV and they just left it up on blocks in the front yard, because they couldn’t afford a couple new tires.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top