Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/19/2017 4:16:49 PM EDT
Hi Guys.. I recently purchased a F-14 from freewing (pics here after weathering)

I liked it so much that i ordered another one to paint it into this low vis VF-101 paintscheme (this is not mine. This is a 1/18 example that I want to copy as for the paintscheme)

What i am looking for is a instruction manual from the scale model brand Tamiya which would indicate me which combo of they acrylic paint I could use with my airbrush

Does anyone know if it's possible to find pdf copies of these instruction manuals somewhere ? is there a database for that =

thanks a lot for your help !

yes, the first one flew already.. but from a small unused roadway, since our RC grass airfield was too muddy. Don't pay attention to the flight itself, I was still trying to find the good throws and trims. The landings are tough on such a small runway.

Freewing F-14 second flight
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 4:19:51 PM EDT
[#1]
I have zero clue but that thing is awesome. The attention to detail is really sweet.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 4:25:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Try here, mate.

About 2/3rds down the page.

PDF.

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/559650-tamiya-61114-grumman-f-14a-tomcat

ETA - Sorry, it's the 14A.  My bad.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 4:28:02 PM EDT
[#3]
I DO know Tamiya makes their own brand of paint. If anything, they will recommend their own brand for anything Tamiya related.
I imagine if you have a catalog of their paints, you could determine what to use.
Sorry, but your question is kind of vague.

ETA: Are you asking what Federal Standard colors for the Tomcat as per Tamiya? Or what kind of paint to use through your airbrush??

ETA2:

Federal Standard Colors for F-14 Tomcats

Link Posted: 2/19/2017 4:33:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I DO know Tamiya makes their own brand of paint. If anything, they will recommend their own brand for anything Tamiya related.
I imagine if you have a catalog of their paints, you could determine what to use.
Sorry, but your question is kind of vague.

ETA: Are you asking what Federal Standard colors for the Tomcat as per Tamiya? Or what kind of paint to use through your airbrush??
View Quote

I have a ton of their paints already :)

What im looking for is a instruction manual to see what paint ref (XF-something) correspond to the ghost greys used in their F-14D models.

something like that but from Tamiya:

Link Posted: 2/19/2017 4:35:51 PM EDT
[#5]

this is great.

but what id like to know is what Tamyia paint reference corresponds to this color exactly !
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 4:39:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
http://www.anft.net/f-14/f14-detail-colours-02.gif

this is great.

but what id like to know is what Tamyia paint reference corresponds to this color exactly !
View Quote

Got it.

Go here:
Tamiya Paint Chart PDFs

Each PDF will have the paint chips and INSIDE the paint chips will be the F.S. color number. SImply match the number inside the paint chip and there you go.

Disregard. Sorry I thought I saw the FS numbers inthe chips.

Try this:
IPMS Stockholm Paint Conversion Chart

Another one:
Paint Conversion Charts
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 4:43:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

this is great.

View Quote

Think you have to mix some of them IIRC

Work off the FS colour scheme codes to start with as that FS do the biggest range. Then see what directly corresponds to Tamiya.

Those that don't correspond directly, you can look up.  There should be loads of sources out there with colour mixes.

Useful conversion chart here as starter for 10

http://www.paint4models.com

I did have much better one, but it's a paper copy and I'll have to try and dig it out from the loft.

Good luck.  The models look really good.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 4:44:14 PM EDT
[#8]
OP, I can help in no way at all.

I just wanted to say that is awesome.  Very nice, partner.  I am envious.

You are obviously a man of wealth, and taste.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 5:05:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 5:10:14 PM EDT
[#10]
That is truly awesome.  One thing I will say, they ain't nearly dirty enough!.  Those low vis schemes get filthy.  Nice job.

Watched the video.  Man that was one of the coolest, short of the real Tomcat, flights.  Your Tom seems to fly well.  Now I don't know squat about flying models but what powers something like that?
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 5:33:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Hey OP , do you have a link for these planes?
Look awesome.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 5:54:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
That is truly awesome.  One thing I will say, they ain't nearly dirty enough!.  Those low vis schemes get filthy.  Nice job.

Watched the video.  Man that was one of the coolest, short of the real Tomcat, flights.  Your Tom seems to fly well.  Now I don't know squat about flying models but what powers something like that?
View Quote

2 ducted fans.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 5:54:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Hey OP , do you have a link for these planes?
Look awesome.
View Quote

https://www.motionrc.com/collections/jets-and-ducted-fan/products/freewing-f-14-tomcat-twin-80mm-edf-jet-pnp#description-tab
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 6:00:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

I have done the low vis yet.

the one you see is a scale model I found on the internet as reference.

I'll start doing the low vis tomorrow when it gets there.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 6:29:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

this is great.

View Quote

Found what I was looking for here related to the scheme in FS

http://ipmsrealcote.pro-forums.org/t832-tamiya-mixes-for-some-fs-colors-full-up-to-date-list-in-english

35237 Medium Grey
*Mix 1 -- XF-66:1 + XF-19:1 + XF-2:2 +
*Mix 2 -- CF-18 -- XF66:1 + XF54:1 + XF2:2

36320 Dark ghost Grey
*Mix 1-- XF-66:1 + XF-54:1 + XF-2:3
*Mix 2-- XF19 (Tamiya F-16 Agg 1/48 Instructions)

36375 Light Ghost Grey
*Mix 1-- XF-19:1 + XF-2:3
*Mix 2-- CF-18 -- XF19:1 + XF54:1 + XF2:4
*Mix 3-- Mitsubishi Light Gray FS26375 -- XF2:18 + XF1:1
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 6:40:49 PM EDT
[#16]
This looks like it gets you some answers - or rather, proposed mixing ratios.

http://ipmsrealcote.pro-forums.org/t832-tamiya-mixes-for-some-fs-colors-full-up-to-date-list-in-english

Best of luck, from someone who spend a fun afternoon spraying his sexy, sexy Blood Angels with multiple coats of Tamiya Clear Red

Edited: Well, fuck, that was a waste of time. We need one of those "someone has posted since you started typing this reply, do you want to check before submitting this post" features that some forums have
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 6:50:03 PM EDT
[#17]
That's cool OP, is that the 1/32 kit?  How big is it?
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 7:00:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
That's cool OP, is that the 1/32 kit?  How big is it?
View Quote

it's much bigger... I wouldnt want to say BS, but I think it's about 1/7

I think the wingspan is about 1550mm when wings are not swept back.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 7:19:25 PM EDT
[#19]
not sure which scale  yours is,     this is 1/7 and 1/2  its a hell of a lot bigger.  
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 7:31:50 PM EDT
[#20]
You are right. I think this is the skymaster.

I just be confused with my f-86

Anyway, the wingspan is 1550mm
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 11:32:59 AM EDT
[#21]
Thanks for those who helped.

Here is what I came up with after my research.

This should work

Link Posted: 2/20/2017 11:37:26 AM EDT
[#22]
what is this millimeter shit?  Inches & feet or GTFO!
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 11:51:49 AM EDT
[#23]
I thought it was mandatory for model F14's to have the VF-84/103 jolly Rodger paint scheme
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 12:02:01 PM EDT
[#24]
I will show my buddy from work this thread. He was an F-14 corrosion guy for 12 years back in the 80s-early 90s and a Blue Angles maintenance guy. He will get a kick out of it. He still has a big ass F-14 maintenance manual at his house.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 12:10:13 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I thought it was mandatory for model F14's to have the VF-84/103 jolly Rodger paint scheme
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 12:23:05 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
what is this millimeter shit?  Inches & feet or GTFO!
View Quote

Even a monkey can do a conversion !
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 12:25:14 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

I long hesitated.. But the low vis scheme of the Vf-103 isn't really special.

I like the vf 101 better.

I also hesitated of putting danger zone on my video... But the internet didn't need another one ;)
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 12:25:58 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I will show my buddy from work this thread. He was an F-14 corrosion guy for 12 years back in the 80s-early 90s and a Blue Angles maintenance guy. He will get a kick out of it. He still has a big ass F-14 maintenance manual at his house.
View Quote

I'll take any weathering pic he wanna share !
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 12:26:36 PM EDT
[#29]
Wow, I thought that was just a model but it FLIES!
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 12:29:49 PM EDT
[#30]
Here you go. Dirty VF-84 Jolly Rogers.

Link Posted: 2/20/2017 12:33:34 PM EDT
[#31]
Outstanding! Great work!
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 1:36:19 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Wow, I thought that was just a model but it FLIES!
View Quote

Of course ! Would be half as fun otherwise ! :)
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 1:40:16 PM EDT
[#33]
No VFA-103 "Jolly Rogers"?
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 1:43:05 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
No VFA-103 "Jolly Rogers"?
View Quote

As I said it's tempting but it's not the best low vis scheme...

I'd love to do a high vis VF-84 F-14, but for a low visibly I prefer the vf-101 style. That shark mouth is great
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 2:21:18 PM EDT
[#35]
Kinda partial to this one.  VF-102 Diamondbacks.  I grew up with a guy who flew off the USS America in the 1980's.

Link Posted: 2/20/2017 2:32:53 PM EDT
[#36]
Oh look, more neat shit I didnt need to know existed.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 2:50:45 PM EDT
[#37]
OP, I can't say whether any of the photos in the link are still valid because I can't see them from work but here's what I found on a quick google search for "f-14d dirty paint"... link left cold.

http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=43596

I'd venture a guess that the underbelly of the F-14 would be dirt. Not dusty or dirt covered but more like old, wet looking in appearance. Around the seams around the middles of the engines I'd guess the hydraulic pumps would be on real planes and they'd leak... the paint would get wet and the oil would soak in. It'd be a darker color than the surrounding paint.

Around the seals where the wings sweep into the fuselage, I know the F-111's used to use a graphite based lubricant... and there'd be thin lines of light to medium light grayish color on the wing seals.

Around the flaps and leading edges of the wings would be just greasy... and especially around the jackscrews that would move the components would be reddish grease and hydraulic leaks. I used to work F-111's in the late 80's and we had a few squardons of F-14's and A6's and EA-6B's TDY to the air field for a while.

Watch Top Gun and the Final Countdown to see how the jets really looked.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 5:44:02 PM EDT
[#38]
I know when I used to build the model kits, Testors Model Masters series had the FS numbers right on the label for their .mil line.   And the F14 lo vis scheme was exact.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 3:29:17 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I know when I used to build the model kits, Testors Model Masters series had the FS numbers right on the label for their .mil line.   And the F14 lo vis scheme was exact.
View Quote

I would by testors, but I prefer acrylics paint for EPO foam and my airbrush
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 3:59:37 PM EDT
[#40]
OP - sorry for the slight thread derail, but any idea of the BuNos on either of your Tomcats? I didn't know if they would be detailed enough to actually have BuNos on them. Good friend of mine used to fly Tomcats and I know for sure he'd be interested... even more so if one of them was "his" plane!

-F1re
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 5:57:13 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
OP - sorry for the slight thread derail, but any idea of the BuNos on either of your Tomcats? I didn't know if they would be detailed enough to actually have BuNos on them. Good friend of mine used to fly Tomcats and I know for sure he'd be interested... even more so if one of them was "his" plane!

-F1re
View Quote

Nope I havent decided yet.

as i said, I am planning to do a VF-101 paintschemes, and ordered some decals/vynils already, but its still subject to change if you come up with something cool.

Any pictures of the Cats your friend flew ?

this is my original idea of a repaint :

Link Posted: 2/21/2017 6:09:23 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Testors MM has acrylics.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 6:11:08 PM EDT
[#43]
Highway to the danger zone..........................

ETA: due to the movie, had I had 20/20 vision, I'd have been a F14 pilot.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 12:35:55 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

as i said, I am planning to do a VF-101 paintschemes, and ordered some decals/vynils already, but its still subject to change if you come up with something cool.

View Quote

I'll ask him tomorrow at work. I'll see what he's got!
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 6:10:28 PM EDT
[#45]
started painting !

got my decals too !

Link Posted: 2/28/2017 6:19:22 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Highway to the danger zone..........................

ETA: due to the movie, had I had 20/20 vision, I'd have been a F14 pilot.
View Quote

Color vision...a red/green deficiency did me in.
We can still fly rc though.
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 7:27:38 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

The model is cool and all, but I gotta give mad respect to the insane low pass by that tomcat driver.  At first I thought he just went gear up, but upon closer inspection his flaps are at 0 and his stabs are level.  Balls: that guy has them.

Also, thanks for the new wallpaper.
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 8:40:37 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/uploads/gallery/album_537/gallery_12658_537_87367.jpg
View Quote

Insane.  Much respect, sir.
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 9:14:46 PM EDT
[#49]
Here's a real deal Top Gun F14

Link Posted: 2/28/2017 9:17:47 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top