User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/25/2023 10:33:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Bullshit, the MiG-21 is, almost 80 years old and still going strong. Most produced supersonic fighter in history.

Nah, I'm mostly messing with you. But I'm a huge Fishbed fan and I think the MiG-21 was a huge game-changer when it first hit the field. Not sure how big of a "jump" the F-16 was compared to the F-15.
View Quote

@toybasher

It wasn't meant to be a jump over the f15. It was meant to be lower cost. It was a high/low mix thing. They were procured in // to each other. Similar in concept to how the F22s/f35 were originally imagined.
Link Posted: 6/25/2023 10:35:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
In terms of cost in relation to maintainability, performance and mission capability, the 16 can’t be beat. The 15 and 22 are better platforms but cost is higher.

In regards to the 35, I would personally classify the plane as a 4.5 Gen aircraft. Horrible dogfighting capabilities and is not capable of super cruise. Hell, the French Rafale can do super cruise and it’s over 30 years old. Recent report stated that the B and C versions can not maintain sustained super sonic flight because structural damage would ensue.

The 35 is the biggest defense acquisition failure in recent times.
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/25/2023 10:37:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
In terms of cost in relation to maintainability, performance and mission capability, the 16 can’t be beat. The 15 and 22 are better platforms but cost is higher.

In regards to the 35, I would personally classify the plane as a 4.5 Gen aircraft. Horrible dogfighting capabilities and is not capable of super cruise. Hell, the French Rafale can do super cruise and it’s over 30 years old. Recent report stated that the B and C versions can not maintain sustained super sonic flight because structural damage would ensue.

View Quote

Tell us you have no idea what you're talking about without telling us you have no idea what you're talking about.... Multiple times.
Link Posted: 6/25/2023 10:40:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/25/2023 11:13:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Tell us you have no idea what you're talking about without telling us you have no idea what you're talking about.... Multiple times.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He isn’t totally wrong.  

The F35 has some incredible capabilities in theory, but it has huge failures that are marketed as a feature.  Speed is speed.  The 35 isn’t quick in any useful configuration.  LM markets that failure as no big deal because magic sensors, long range weapons, etc…but speed is still speed and distance is still distance.  

For what it costs and in 2023, it should do more.
Link Posted: 6/25/2023 11:19:26 AM EDT
[#6]

Another @cmjohnson thread

in before screechjet stats blathering on about gay stuff again

Link Posted: 6/25/2023 1:23:41 PM EDT
[#7]
One of my daughters is a Pentagon based news journalist. Last month she was invited to go up in an F-16 with the USAF Thunderbirds, which she quickly accepted. Here are a couple of pics from her 45 minute flight.

FWIW, no she didn't puke.

Link Posted: 6/25/2023 2:07:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Another @cmjohnson thread   - Happens in every fighter/CAS/weapon system thread. SMEs who have or are currently operating them respond, usually to clarify and provide context to some wiki talking points that get repeated. Then, a significant amount of follow on posters either ignore that or double down.

in before screechjet stats blathering on about gay stuff again -- Hopefully that was just a one off occurrence, but can't say it was any less informative than many of the other replies
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/25/2023 2:35:45 PM EDT
[#9]
I don't know about greatest fighter, but the F-16 represented a welcome departure from DoD's "gold plate all the things" mentality in fielding the first major weapon system in many years that was both cheap and effective.

I think it was a massive oversight not to make it rough airfield capable however.
Link Posted: 6/25/2023 2:45:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

It's the one subject he brings up that I am sure he is an expert on.
Link Posted: 6/25/2023 4:21:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

It's the one subject he brings up that I am sure he is an expert on.
View Quote

Seinfeld - Not that there's anything wrong with that
Link Posted: 6/25/2023 4:32:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

I love the F14 threads so Commander “Rodent” Heatherly can tell us how huge a pos they were.
Link Posted: 6/25/2023 5:52:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

He isn’t totally wrong.  

The F35 has some incredible capabilities in theory, but it has huge failures that are marketed as a feature.  Speed is speed.  The 35 isn’t quick in any useful configuration.  LM markets that failure as no big deal because magic sensors, long range weapons, etc…but speed is still speed and distance is still distance.  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

He isn’t totally wrong.  

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top