BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/26/2024 11:29:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

The "lifetime" of shingles is 15-30 years.  You're into replacement range.

Lifetime doesn't mean your lifetime.

View Quote

He has slate shingles.  It's a stone and the roof will not need replacement unless there is a tornado, only periodic maintenance is necessary.
Link Posted: 1/26/2024 11:34:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Newnan Ga got hit by a tornado. Many State Farm customers had trouble and years later still had no repairs . Generally customers getting screwed were State Farm and Allstate.
Link Posted: 1/26/2024 11:43:45 AM EDT
[#3]
I've had state farm for 20 years for vehicles and 8 years for my house. Never had a problem. Only had a few comp claims on cars but I just recently had a homeowners claim due to hail, with total replacement costs estimated to $28k

State farm declared the hail a catastrophic event and sent a team out to our area. My rep was great and we had our money the next day after insurrection which the initial payment was ~$23k (roof, siding, windows, garage doors all need replacing). Got my roof replaced and sent them the invoice and they sent me the second payment a few days later.

Still waiting on the rest of the repairs to be completed but having no issues right now and they even ok'ed a $4k patio set replacement even though they listed the replacement cost at $1500.
Link Posted: 1/26/2024 11:46:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Freaking weird. Its almost as if their policy is "cancel all the policy holders that dont make claims and are in good standing. And lets sign up some new low lifes and illegals to boost our policy holder numbers".
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have hated State Farm for over 20 years, and Allstate is right behind them.  Allstate denied a hail damage claim when I know for a fact a couple of other people in the area with other insurers got new roofs.

Freaking weird. Its almost as if their policy is "cancel all the policy holders that dont make claims and are in good standing. And lets sign up some new low lifes and illegals to boost our policy holder numbers".
Welcome to every major public company these days.

You want a raise? Quit.

You want a discount? Leave.

You want the new promotion? Go to a new company.
Link Posted: 1/26/2024 1:59:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

He has slate shingles.  It's a stone and the roof will not need replacement unless there is a tornado, only periodic maintenance is necessary.
View Quote

Slate style asphalt shingles. Original slate roof is gone. But none the less my roof is 13 years old.
Link Posted: 1/26/2024 3:11:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

No. Read my post right above yours for a little more information on this shit show.
View Quote

Well, my experience has been that State Farm won’t play ball until you hire one. Good luck, they are likely going to string you along for a while.
Link Posted: 1/26/2024 3:15:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I've had state farm for 20 years for vehicles and 8 years for my house. Never had a problem. Only had a few comp claims on cars but I just recently had a homeowners claim due to hail, with total replacement costs estimated to $28k

State farm declared the hail a catastrophic event and sent a team out to our area. My rep was great and we had our money the next day after insurrection which the initial payment was ~$23k (roof, siding, windows, garage doors all need replacing). Got my roof replaced and sent them the invoice and they sent me the second payment a few days later.

Still waiting on the rest of the repairs to be completed but having no issues right now and they even ok'ed a $4k patio set replacement even though they listed the replacement cost at $1500.
View Quote

I had no issues with State Farm either… until my house burned down. They change their tune when they have to start writing checks with a lot of numbers before the comma in the Amount box.
Link Posted: 1/26/2024 3:21:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I wish I could compete my homeowners insurance.

Only State Farm was responsive. The big five either tripled State Farms offer or just outright refused.

Before I found State Farm Progressive offered me a contract. I was in escrow thinking Wells Fargo (fuck be upon them) could write a mortgage. Progressive's offer was too much but I needed something to cover me for the purchase and then six-months later I would shop something cheaper. I accepted the high offer and they came back with a counter offer at close to double the cost. I said fine who do I send the check to? Finally they pulled their offer completely.

State Farm was the only responsive bidder so they got the deal.
View Quote
Similar situation with us when buying a home in Mammoth Lakes, CA and Wells Fargo was the lender.  Towards the end of escrow we were told the insurance quote was withdrawn and we had to get it replaced .you'd think the lender and agents would have helped but nope.  We got an agent in Bishop to search and got Lloyd's of London .3x the price originally in the deal. 3 Years later we got a fairly normal quote from State Farm and still have them.
Link Posted: 1/26/2024 3:28:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Well, my experience has been that State Farm won’t play ball until you hire one. Good luck, they are likely going to string you along for a while.
View Quote

My point being is that I found out yesterday that a have a completely different shingle than what they are trying to cancel me over. Its not even made by the same company. And it is still being made. So satan farms claim against me is completely false and doesnt even apply.
Link Posted: 1/26/2024 4:04:12 PM EDT
[#10]
I've been with State Farm since 1985, and have had no problems.
I had one claim about 9 years ago for a tree falling on to my shop, and that was handled quickly and efficiently.
I did fire my last agent last year,  The new one knows what customer service is.
Link Posted: 1/26/2024 4:27:39 PM EDT
[#11]
State Farm sucks big dicks. After 30+ years with them with virtually no claims we had a hail storm and they attempted to deny our claim, even though every house within 3 blocks had to be re-roofed.

I had to hire an independent adjuster and appraiser and take SF to arbitration, but I won. As soon as I got the check I called and told my agent to cancel cancel cancel. Fuck you SF.

Oh, I also lodged a formal complaint with our State Board of Insurance.
Link Posted: 1/26/2024 4:29:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Just heard back from my agent. Underwriting which is part of Satan Ass Farm corporate is not willing to issue me a written apology for their colossal fuck up and their jumping to conclusions.

Guess that makes my decision to leave easy. Peace out bitches. Cant wait till my agent gets the notice of my parents cancelling all their policies too. 47 years IIRC they have been with them.

Now next steps are to file a complaint with Ohio insurance commission and I am going to take some additional steps that hopefully cause them a little embarrassment.
Link Posted: 1/26/2024 4:35:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Adjuster friend (with another company) tells me SF has apparently adopted the "deny everything" model. It's kinda like throw a denial against the wall and see if it sticks.

Many policyholders will just knuckle under and accept their shit, and that's a win for them. It might cost a little money, but my advice is to fight them. Then leave them. That's what I did.
Link Posted: 1/26/2024 4:43:09 PM EDT
[#14]
My wife is a Certified Insurance Counselor (CIC) She handles mostly commercial policies right now but does home, auto, and anything but life/health.  a couple things people need to remember when considering insurance, always shop your insurance around for every renewal.  any insurer that says they give you better service as the years go on is full of it.  you can use the same broker but have them shop the coverage.  When you are renewing and looking for cheaper deals, make sure whoever is doing the shopping is considering the same level of coverage.  a lot of brokers come back saying they can beat whatever you have but on the sly they've reduced your coverage or raised your deductible somewhere to get that lower price. this will cost you big time in the long run.  Insurance companies right now are ALL raising their rates and lowering coverage or raising deductibles.  a lot of this is due to greed of course but some of it is due to rampant insurance fraud and schemes like roof claim .com.  the problem with the fraud is it's oftentimes cheaper for them to just pay a settlement than it is to go to court and prove the fraud. this excess cost is going straight to the consumer, namely you and me.
Link Posted: 1/26/2024 4:43:27 PM EDT
[#15]
When filing complaints, make sure to use the phrase "bad faith".

Link Posted: 1/26/2024 4:47:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

Sounds like legal jargon. So when I file the complaint you are saying to say “bad faith” early and often?
Link Posted: 1/26/2024 4:49:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Sounds like legal jargon. So when I file the complaint you are saying to say "bad faith" early and often?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sounds like legal jargon. So when I file the complaint you are saying to say "bad faith" early and often?

A lot of states have laws about insurance companies negotiating in bad faith. So I guess, technically, it's legal jargon.

IANAL.

ETA: Here's an example for TX Bad Faith Insurance Claims
Link Posted: 1/26/2024 4:50:50 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

A lot of states have laws about insurance companies negotiating in bad faith. So I guess, technically, it's legal jargon.

IANAL.

View Quote

I can see how that would apply nicely. I can think of quite a few places in my complaint where “bad faith” would fit nicely.
Link Posted: 1/26/2024 4:51:55 PM EDT
[#19]
See my edit.
Link Posted: 1/26/2024 5:30:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Never had a problem with them and me and my parents have been with them for years however my agent is retiring and he told me not too long ago it's not the same company as it once was.
Link Posted: 1/26/2024 5:32:28 PM EDT
[#21]
Just got my 3rd email this year of state farm raising my rates.

Zero tickets or claims in the last 5 years but all my vehicles have gone up around 15% lately.
Link Posted: 1/26/2024 5:34:54 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
We have the nicest and by far most expensive house in our neighborhood.
View Quote

Did you consider this might be why they don't want to continue insuring you?
You getting insurance elsewhere would be doing them a favor.
Link Posted: 1/26/2024 5:48:44 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Did you consider this might be why they don't want to continue insuring you?
You getting insurance elsewhere would be doing them a favor.
View Quote

Or it could be cause they suck. Its not like I make claims. Im a model customer thats getting fucked over by some fag pencil pusher.
Link Posted: 1/26/2024 6:06:22 PM EDT
[#24]
Sounds like State Farm is sucking wind when it comes to auto policies also. Apparently...

"At the same time, auto insurance rates are soaring as the cost of fixing not just EVs but all vehicles has led to significant losses for big insurance companies over the last few years. America's largest insurer, State Farm, lost 28 cents for every premium written in 2022. It posted a $13 billion underwriting loss for its auto arm. "

https://www.zerohedge.com/technology/shocking-number-rivian-owner-sees-42000-repair-bill-minor-accident

Maybe they're gonna be out of business soon.
Link Posted: 1/26/2024 6:08:12 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Sounds like State Farm is sucking wind when it comes to auto policies also. Apparently...

"At the same time, auto insurance rates are soaring as the cost of fixing not just EVs but all vehicles has led to significant losses for big insurance companies over the last few years. America's largest insurer, State Farm, lost 28 cents for every premium written in 2022. It posted a $13 billion underwriting loss for its auto arm. "

https://www.zerohedge.com/technology/shocking-number-rivian-owner-sees-42000-repair-bill-minor-accident

Maybe they're gonna be out of business soon.
View Quote

I hope they do.
Link Posted: 1/26/2024 8:11:35 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Time for a new insurer. Sadly I suspect they are all crooked or fucked up in some way.

I have State Farm and while they haven't fucked me lately, it's only a matter of time.
View Quote

I've got to wonder what I have in the future...

Saving a shit-ton going with State Farm for home/auto - for now.
Link Posted: 1/26/2024 8:47:05 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Adjuster friend (with another company) tells me SF has apparently adopted the "deny everything" model. It's kinda like throw a denial against the wall and see if it sticks.

Many policyholders will just knuckle under and accept their shit, and that's a win for them. It might cost a little money, but my advice is to fight them. Then leave them. That's what I did.
View Quote

Buddy of mine said the same thing.
Now I use a broker who shops the policies. On my 2nd year with Hanover right now.
Link Posted: 1/26/2024 9:14:21 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I've got to wonder what I have in the future...

Saving a shit-ton going with State Farm for home/auto - for now.
View Quote

Let us know how bad they fuck you when the time comes. Wish you the best but expecting the worst.
Link Posted: 1/29/2024 6:13:09 PM EDT
[#29]
New insurance starts Thursday. And then I cancel State Ass Farm. It will be a good week.
Link Posted: 1/29/2024 6:19:02 PM EDT
[#30]
So sort of similar experience with them.  Sent a rep out to review exterior.  Had a few things to correct or they would cancel my policy.  So I fix them and took pictures. Local agent said that should take care of it.  Come end of year they said they will be canceling my policy for not taking care of my exterior.  So shopped around and cancelled that day.  The local agent couldn't understand why I would move car policy as well. I told her if that's the kind of business they are running why would I give them any business.  I had 0 claims.  Fuck them.  I'm paying less now.
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 8:27:02 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
So sort of similar experience with them.  Sent a rep out to review exterior.  Had a few things to correct or they would cancel my policy.  So I fix them and took pictures. Local agent said that should take care of it.  Come end of year they said they will be canceling my policy for not taking care of my exterior.  So shopped around and cancelled that day.  The local agent couldn't understand why I would move car policy as well. I told her if that's the kind of business they are running why would I give them any business.  I had 0 claims.  Fuck them.  I'm paying less now.
View Quote

Ill be paying about the same for much much better coverage. I was underinsured by quite a bit on the house. Our car coverages was lacking also.
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 4:22:58 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
USAA is trying their hardest to get me to cancel them.

"upload some pictures and we'll tell you what's covered"

How about you get a real fucking person to come out here and do the same, like you used to do?

So your pipes froze, we'll cover the plumbing repair, but not the lack of insulation. Sooo, it'll happen again?
View Quote

Homeowners insurance should cover a lack of insulation?  Should it cover painting your house too?
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 5:06:29 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
State Farm dropped my auto insurance 20 years ago.  I asked my agent why and she said they can randomly do that with no explanation.  I had no accidents, tickets or claims in the 15-16 years I was with them.  I'll never consider them for any insurance in the future.  FSF
View Quote

Likely a State wide underwriting decision.  Usually happens in States where the legal liability exposure is screwed.
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 5:28:54 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Homeowners insurance should cover a lack of insulation?  Should it cover painting your house too?
View Quote

Maybe a home warranty would

But seriously no.
Link Posted: 2/1/2024 3:27:02 PM EDT
[#35]
Well its official. Im no longer a customer of Shit Farm. New insurance is active and I have much better coverage which makes me feel good.

Agent didnt seem surprised that I was canceling.
Link Posted: 2/2/2024 12:58:34 PM EDT
[#36]
My parents just confirmed they are canceling Suck Farm. They will be saving $1300/year with more coverage. My mom said her and dad have been with Shit Farm 105 years combined. Nothing like driving away long time good customers.

Edit: My brother is pricing out insurance with the broker too. Hes been with Shit Farm 29 years. Wonder if my old agent will even notice.
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top