Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 13
Link Posted: 12/14/2015 5:10:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So frisbees and paper planes don't require registration because there is no direct control link to a person but a model rocket does require registration because.....?
View Quote

Same reason we dads give our kids for some arbitrary rules. "Because I said so."
Link Posted: 12/14/2015 5:11:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
So frisbees and paper planes don't require registration because there is no direct control link to a person but a model rocket does require registration because.....?
View Quote

Because they don't have a direct control link.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 12/14/2015 5:11:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Logically speaking, unless someone is paying me to fly something through the air and across State lines, no flying interstate commerce has occurred.
View Quote

Let's say you're living within five miles of large airport, flying your UAV around. Is that interference with interstate commerce?
Link Posted: 12/14/2015 5:13:04 PM EDT
[#4]
$50,000,000? What part of this could possibly cost $50,000,000?
Link Posted: 12/14/2015 5:13:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I don't know the FARs, but have they always been able to claim jurisdiction over all uncontrolled airspace below 500'?

The now superseded regulation makes some reference to being able to sustain flight as a defining characteristic. Under that rule, none of my RC helicopters would qualify when flown by my ape-like grace.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
So... The FAA... That has NO Art 1 Sec 8 power to exist in the first place... Is now rewriting major statutes absent even unConstitutional legislation passed by Congress? And requiring a fee/tax on top of it?

Yeah... I'll comply with that... In about... Never.

They, unlike many other organizations, do have a prima facie interstate commerce argument.

I don't know the FARs, but have they always been able to claim jurisdiction over all uncontrolled airspace below 500'?

The now superseded regulation makes some reference to being able to sustain flight as a defining characteristic. Under that rule, none of my RC helicopters would qualify when flown by my ape-like grace.

RC aircraft have always met the defination of aircraft in the FAR, there has just been an AC that spelled out the exemption for recreational RC aircraft.  The problem is the idiots that have done idiot things with them.

Link Posted: 12/14/2015 5:14:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Let's say you're living within five miles of large airport, flying your UAV around. Is that interference with interstate commerce?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Logically speaking, unless someone is paying me to fly something through the air and across State lines, no flying interstate commerce has occurred.

Probably.

Do these regulations only apply to RC craft flying within 5 miles of a large airport?
Link Posted: 12/14/2015 5:18:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
LOL, I fly on private property, eat a dick FAA
View Quote

U.S. Government now owns all airspace down to within 1 inch  AGL.

Link Posted: 12/14/2015 5:19:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

RC aircraft have always met the defination of aircraft in the FAR, there has just been an AC that spelled out the exemption for recreational RC aircraft.  The problem is the idiots that have done idiot things with them.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
So... The FAA... That has NO Art 1 Sec 8 power to exist in the first place... Is now rewriting major statutes absent even unConstitutional legislation passed by Congress? And requiring a fee/tax on top of it?

They, unlike many other organizations, do have a prima facie interstate commerce argument.

No, that is not the problem.
Link Posted: 12/14/2015 5:21:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Serious question: are there other regs in place for larger RC vehicles? If I buy/build a big enough and heavy enough RC plane can I stick a camera on it and fly it around with no problems?

I have been thinking about getting a small plane to try fpv but now I might just get a giant plane and add a cam later.
Link Posted: 12/14/2015 5:21:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Now we know why the FAA bought all that ammo.
Link Posted: 12/14/2015 5:24:28 PM EDT
[#11]

Link Posted: 12/14/2015 5:26:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Just like those hand held radios you can buy at every hardware store.  

I doubt most people register those
Link Posted: 12/14/2015 5:28:34 PM EDT
[#13]
In for the first RC Hobbyist to be gun downed for failing to land their plane.

Best part if you try and run.. BANG!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fleeing_felon_rule
Link Posted: 12/14/2015 5:28:43 PM EDT
[#14]
I own about 30 UAS, unregistered.  At what point do they take me to jail, owning them, or the moment they take off?

I clearly need to write the FAA a letter.
Link Posted: 12/14/2015 5:29:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Just like those hand held radios you can buy at every hardware store.  

I doubt most people register those
View Quote

GMRS.

Link Posted: 12/14/2015 5:30:45 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I own about 30 UAS, unregistered.  At what point do they take me to jail, owning them, or the moment they take off?

View Quote

If you purchased them with the intent to fly them, you are in violation. If you purchased them and inadvertently flew them while playing with them, that may be another story.
Link Posted: 12/14/2015 5:32:25 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
If you purchased them with the intent to fly them, you are in violation. If you purchased them and inadvertently flew them while playing with them, that may be another story.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

So it's only when I shoulder the radio, I mean, ...

Link Posted: 12/14/2015 5:33:17 PM EDT
[#18]
You know what would be a great protest for this?

Encourage all RC aircraft owners to show up to DC, outside the Capitol.

When the congresscritters come out of the building, they are swarmed and divebombed by thousands of the buzzing little things.

Just like that Audi car commercial (Attack Of The Drones) that was out a few months ago.

Link Posted: 12/14/2015 5:34:50 PM EDT
[#19]
What about kites? They are tethered and some have control lines to steer them around.
Link Posted: 12/14/2015 5:35:53 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 12/14/2015 5:36:16 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

What if I drop it while messing around, and it "flies" down to the ground.  Should be ok as long as the radio isn't on...  So many questions.

Link Posted: 12/14/2015 5:36:28 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is the hobby self regulating still or are people doing stupid things with them?

Link Posted: 12/14/2015 5:38:42 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

That's like saying I only shoot my unregistered suppressed machinegun on private property so eat dick ATF!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
LOL, I fly on private property, eat a dick FAA

That's like saying I only shoot my unregistered suppressed machinegun on private property so eat dick ATF!

No, it's not.
Link Posted: 12/14/2015 5:39:20 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
What if I drop it while messing around, and it "flies" down to the ground.  Should be ok as long as the radio isn't on...  So many questions.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If it flies to the ground without a conscious action on your part, it will be reclassified as autonomous and therefore doubly evil.
Link Posted: 12/14/2015 5:42:05 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Not everything they set their gaze upon is interstate commerce, however.

Merely owning something is not commerce, much less interstate commerce.   But yeah, Wickard v Filburn.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not everything they set their gaze upon is interstate commerce, however.

Merely owning something is not commerce, much less interstate commerce.   But yeah, Wickard v Filburn.

If any part was made outside your state they claim jurisdiction based on interstate commerce.
Link Posted: 12/14/2015 5:46:20 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 12/14/2015 5:47:35 PM EDT
[#27]
Is this real?
Link Posted: 12/14/2015 5:48:03 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

Somebody already asked if they can be tethered....

So shoe lace question had already been addressed.
Link Posted: 12/14/2015 5:49:51 PM EDT
[#29]
So..........how is this going to be enforced?  Is some out of shape LEO/Fed gonna chase my quad rotor as it hovers over trees back to my house?
Link Posted: 12/14/2015 5:51:24 PM EDT
[#30]
Wooo.....and how many more salaried positions were created for this?
Link Posted: 12/14/2015 5:52:21 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
So..........how is this going to be enforced?  Is some out of shape LEO/Fed gonna chase my quad rotor as it hovers over trees back to my house?
View Quote

I'm thinking more like hunter-killer drones. South Park did a documentary on this not long ago.
Link Posted: 12/14/2015 5:52:59 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 12/14/2015 5:54:12 PM EDT
[#33]
I went ahead and registered a bunch of the cheap, Rural King stuff.

I figure once the amnesty passes, Ill be sitting on a Gold Mine

I marked them "Powder Springs" and "SACO" and "Fleming" and "Qualified" and "Hard Times Armory" and such so the guys who already know to search those terms will be driven to me.

My 500 acre farm is on its way...  
Link Posted: 12/14/2015 5:56:13 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

Most people getting "caught" will be reported by asshole neighbors I would imagine.
Link Posted: 12/14/2015 5:57:10 PM EDT
[#35]
I've got about a dozen RC aircraft.  None of these have flown in the past 2 years.

FBHO
Link Posted: 12/14/2015 6:14:49 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Cite of referenced "bitch slap"?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Will no comply. The FAA already got bitch slapped for trying to regulate non-commercial RC aircraft. It's out of their jurisdiction.

Cite of referenced "bitch slap"?

So I just looked and it appears the original bitch slap by a federal judge was appealed to the NTSB who overruled the federal judge

It seems this is a result of one agency telling another to "Go ahead, who can stop us?"
Link Posted: 12/14/2015 6:17:28 PM EDT
[#37]
Merry Christmas. I got you a felony for valentine's day!
Link Posted: 12/14/2015 6:22:40 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
This is a bunch of fagoty bull shit.

Many of us use foam board to creat disposable air frames and reuse electronics for things like air combat and experimental designs. Now your saying if I cut 4 pieces of foam and slap electronics on it, I have to "register it" with the government to go crash it in a derby?.. FUCK THAT.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
http://www.faa.gov/news/press_releases/news_story.cfm?newsId=19856

WASHINGTON – The U.S. Department of Transportation’s Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) today announced a streamlined and user-friendly web-based aircraft registration process for owners of small unmanned aircraft (UAS) weighing more than 0.55 pounds (250 grams) and less than 55 pounds (approx. 25 kilograms) including payloads such as on-board cameras.

Registration is a statutory requirement that applies to all aircraft.  Under this rule, any owner of a small UAS who has previously operated an unmanned aircraft exclusively as a model aircraft prior to December 21, 2015, must register no later than February 19, 2016. Owners of any other UAS purchased for use as a model aircraft after December 21, 2015 must register before the first flight outdoors. Owners may use either the paper-based process or the new streamlined, web-based system.  Owners using the new streamlined web-based system must be at least 13 years old to register.

Yay more gov regulation

Edited to add...

The FAA estimates that in calendar year 2014, 200,000 small unmanned aircraft were operated in the NAS in model aircraft operations. During this period, the FAA received 238 reports of potentially unsafe UAS operations.

In order to implement the new streamlined, web-based system described in this IFR, the FAA will incur costs to develop, implement, and maintain the system. Small UAS operators will require time to register and mark their aircraft, and that time has a cost. The total of government and registrant resource cost for small unmanned aircraft registration and marking under this new system is $56 million ($46 million present value at 7 percent) through 2020.
This is a bunch of fagoty bull shit.

Many of us use foam board to creat disposable air frames and reuse electronics for things like air combat and experimental designs. Now your saying if I cut 4 pieces of foam and slap electronics on it, I have to "register it" with the government to go crash it in a derby?.. FUCK THAT.

Only if your foam model is more than .55 lbs or whatever.
You only register yourself once and your number goes on whatever you have. It will be the same number.  A sharpie would probably suffice.
Not complicated, but still absurd for the most part.   But I do not like the idea of the $5 fee, for a toy.
And they did overstep the bounds that congress set for the on this matter about two years ago.
Link Posted: 12/14/2015 6:24:47 PM EDT
[#39]
Of all the things I've read that the government has done lately, this might be up there will the most outrageous.

How are they going to enforce this?  Any quadcopter or balsa, foam, etc. R/C plane or helicopter has to be registered with the FAA and have a tail number?

Are they going to make the manufacturers register them before they leave the factory?  What about kits, or ARF aircraft?  My dad has a whole garage full of old balsa r/c planes, some in flyable condition, some damaged.  Is he going to legally have to file forms and mark them with tailnumbers?

On Christmas morning are all the kids who got quadcopters or electric foam R/C craft going to have to run to the computer and register them with FAA and mark them with tail numbers before they take them out in the back yard or down the street to a vacant lot?

What about when one crashes, or a kid looses interest and they sit away in the closet?  Will the FAA take the craft out of their database?

Will terrorist register their craft if they intend to use it as a missile or guided bomb?

Link Posted: 12/14/2015 6:25:53 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Land of the free my ass.
View Quote

This is a well thought out plan by the government to defeat the terrorists.

1 They hate us for our freedoms

2 Take away as many freedoms as possible

3 Terrorists no longer hate us

4 Profit
Link Posted: 12/14/2015 6:27:28 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

4 Profitphet

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Land of the free my ass.

4 Profitphet

fify

Link Posted: 12/14/2015 6:27:54 PM EDT
[#42]
fucking cock suckers
Link Posted: 12/14/2015 6:28:50 PM EDT
[#43]
just received the following from AMA, looks like its not just quads, or "camera drones" but all RC aircraft

AMA and the FAA Registration Process

Today the FAA announced plans for a model aircraft registration process to begin next week.  AMA was a member of the task force that helped develop recommendations for this registration rule and argued throughout the process that registration makes sense at some level but only for those operating outside the guidance of a community-based organization or flying for commercial purposes.

Unfortunately, the new FAA registration rule does not include our advice. The rule is counter to Congress's intent in the Special Rule for Model Aircraft and makes the registration process an unnecessary burden for all of our members who have been operating safely for decades.

While we are disappointed with the new registration rule and still maintain that AMA members should be exempt from registration, the rule is being implemented over AMA objections. Therefore, we want to provide you with important information about the registration rule and how AMA members can comply with the new federal requirements:

All aircraft that are flown using a ground control system, such as a transmitter, are required to participate. This includes fixed-wing aircraft, not just multirotors or drones.
   Any pilot flying models weighing between .55 pounds (or 250 grams) and 55 lbs is required to register.
   You will not be required to register every aircraft individually. You only need to register yourself and can affix one registration number to all your aircraft.
   You must mark all aircraft with your registration number. The number can be inside the aircraft, such as a battery hatch - but should not require tools to access.
   The FAA plans to launch the online registration website on Monday, December 21.
   There is a $5 fee to register, which is waived if you register within the first 30 days.
   You only need to register once every 3 years.

We are still working out the logistics for this process. Some details are still being discussed, including:

We are seriously discussing with the FAA a system where your AMA number could be used as your federal registration number as well. At this point, this is only a proposal and details are not yet finalized.
   At this time, AMA members will not automatically be registered when the registration website launches next week.  However, we are in conversations with the FAA about the best way to streamline the registration process for AMA members going forward.  

This is an ongoing process and we will continue to provide updates on the registration rule. Stay tuned to modelaircraft.org/gov, social media and your email for the latest news on the registration process.

Thank you,
AMA Government Relations and Advocacy Team
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/14/2015 6:29:17 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
.55 lbs is a lot smaller than I was expecting.
View Quote

No shit.  That is frankly ridiculous.  I have a few cheapo "toy" RC aircraft that exceed that weight.  
Link Posted: 12/14/2015 6:32:16 PM EDT
[#45]
I literally don't even understand the impetus behind that.  Even if I grant that the impetus will be stupid, redundant, or wrong-headed, I still don't even get it.

What does this accomplish?
Link Posted: 12/14/2015 6:35:10 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
just received the following from AMA, looks like its not just quads, or "camera drones" but all RC aircraft

View All Quotes
Quoted:

AMA and the FAA Registration Process

Today the FAA announced plans for a model aircraft registration process to begin next week.  AMA was a member of the task force that helped develop recommendations for this registration rule and argued throughout the process that registration makes sense at some level but only for those operating outside the guidance of a community-based organization or flying for commercial purposes.

Unfortunately, the new FAA registration rule does not include our advice. The rule is counter to Congress's intent in the Special Rule for Model Aircraft and makes the registration process an unnecessary burden for all of our members who have been operating safely for decades.

While we are disappointed with the new registration rule and still maintain that AMA members should be exempt from registration, the rule is being implemented over AMA objections. Therefore, we want to provide you with important information about the registration rule and how AMA members can comply with the new federal requirements:

All aircraft that are flown using a ground control system, such as a transmitter, are required to participate. This includes fixed-wing aircraft, not just multirotors or drones.
   Any pilot flying models weighing between .55 pounds (or 250 grams) and 55 lbs is required to register.
   You will not be required to register every aircraft individually. You only need to register yourself and can affix one registration number to all your aircraft.
   You must mark all aircraft with your registration number. The number can be inside the aircraft, such as a battery hatch - but should not require tools to access.
   The FAA plans to launch the online registration website on Monday, December 21.
   There is a $5 fee to register, which is waived if you register within the first 30 days.
   You only need to register once every 3 years.

We are still working out the logistics for this process. Some details are still being discussed, including:

We are seriously discussing with the FAA a system where your AMA number could be used as your federal registration number as well. At this point, this is only a proposal and details are not yet finalized.
   At this time, AMA members will not automatically be registered when the registration website launches next week.  However, we are in conversations with the FAA about the best way to streamline the registration process for AMA members going forward.  

This is an ongoing process and we will continue to provide updates on the registration rule. Stay tuned to modelaircraft.org/gov, social media and your email for the latest news on the registration process.

Thank you,
AMA Government Relations and Advocacy Team

Dance with the devil, expect your hands to get singed.
Link Posted: 12/14/2015 6:38:26 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I literally don't even understand the impetus behind that.  Even if I grant that the impetus will be stupid, redundant, or wrong-headed, I still don't even get it.

View Quote

Forcing you to register yourself (not individual aircraft) and then put your "n number" on everything you fly gives them a way to track you down when your quad takes a dive into a stadium crowd, or flies over an active runway.  They want to eliminate the anonymity that owners currently have, so they can prosecute the fucking morons flying their Phantoms and similar "drones" into controlled airspace, near fires, etc.
Link Posted: 12/14/2015 6:47:17 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Forcing you to register yourself (not individual aircraft) and then put your "n number" on everything you fly gives them a way to track you down when your quad takes a dive into a stadium crowd, or flies over an active runway.  They want to eliminate the anonymity that owners currently have, so they can prosecute the fucking morons flying their Phantoms and similar "drones" into controlled airspace, near fires, etc.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Great argument for gun control.
Link Posted: 12/14/2015 6:48:18 PM EDT
[#49]
Is my rc boat under the Coast Guards authority?
Link Posted: 12/14/2015 6:48:41 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 13
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top