Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

they make 10 rounders too
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Accuracy was measured using 10-shot groups.

For a 1911, that's like what, two reloads?

they make 10 rounders too

That's called a low capacity mag to folks in the 21st century.
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 3:13:26 PM EDT
[#2]
While I prefer to carry my cz 75 compact, I love me some 1911.  Extremely ergonomic, trigger pull that can't be matched by any other handgun do to it being straight pull, just a wonderful gun. Some consider it's capacity a negative, I consider the fact that it is a single stack a positive.  The only other handguns that feel as good to shoot, IMO, are guns that were designed for target shooting like the 22/45 or the buckmark.  

Link Posted: 8/5/2015 3:15:28 PM EDT
[#3]
You should marry that Springfield
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 3:16:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

If you need to shoot a woman holding a baby in a door way you might need that accuracy.
But they usually do that with rifles.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hostage shots

You don't need to be THAT accurate when shooting hostages in the leg........................

If you need to shoot a woman holding a baby in a door way you might need that accuracy.
But they usually do that with rifles.

Now they don't even need rifles due to the Professional model Springfield makes
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 3:18:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
You should marry that Springfield
View Quote

Come to think of it, shes never done me wrong, always at my side, comforted me through scary times, been there for the best of times.

Will you be my best man? We can fight the courts over this. I deserve to be happy just like the straight and LGBT crowd
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 3:20:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

so "new" glocks already have 50k rounds through them?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Found this on the web. Very cool article about the FBI trials that lead to picking the best contender for their elite SWAT type units

Few excerpts

"The FBI went after the best pistol for its SWAT-trained agents."

"The test consisted of several parts: first came an inspection for compliance to the specifications, followed by a safety check, an abuse test, a firing test, a \"field suitability\" test, an accuracy test, an endurance test and, finally, a second accuracy test."

"While all of the FBI\'s requirements were demanding, the most rigorous was accuracy. Chosen at random, two of the five guns had to shoot no more than 1.5\" at 25 yards for three 10-shot groups from a Ransom Rest. Then the guns would be shot for 20,000 rounds in an endurance test, after which a second accuracy test would be conducted with no more than 15 percent degradation in accuracy being acceptable."

"At the end of the day, the five guns had shot a total of nearly 50,000 rounds between them, been dropped, thrown, examined under a microscope and passed through innumerable hands."

"This is the toughest test the government has probably ever conducted for any gun, other than maybe a machinegun,\" Williams commented."

Article
http://www.scribd.com/doc/273099192/Most-Wanted-the-FBI-s-Prestigious-SWAT-Team-Pistol

Example of said pistol

<a href="http://s301.photobucket.com/user/cclement45/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2015-04-10%2018.35.46_zpsaq3dbrte.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn63/cclement45/Mobile%20Uploads/2015-04-10%2018.35.46_zpsaq3dbrte.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s301.photobucket.com/user/cclement45/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2015-04-11%2013.03.55_zpsye6pgyyy.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn63/cclement45/Mobile%20Uploads/2015-04-11%2013.03.55_zpsye6pgyyy.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s301.photobucket.com/user/cclement45/media/IMG_3481057603469_zpsarg5t0xy.jpeg.html" target="_blank">http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn63/cclement45/IMG_3481057603469_zpsarg5t0xy.jpeg</a>

LMFAO at the always poor trolling.

50,000 rounds between 5 1911's? I'm pretty sure that's what Glock calls a factory test fire for new guns.

I'm joking.

Levity aside, the math breaks down to 10K rounds per 1911.

That's not a feat for a Glock handgun, its a decent start for a gun that should last tens of thousands of more rounds without anything but routine, drop-in parts replacement. OP can gnash the teeth all he wants, the Glock stomps 1911's in every area that matters.

Reliability- Is the pistol incredibly reliable?
Capacity- Does that handgun carry an excess of 15 rounds?
Weight- Is the handgun lightweight and made from modern materials?
Durability- Is that handgun durable enough for hard duty?
Parts replacement- Can parts simply be dropped in by a laymen, no fitting required?
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 3:20:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Pistols influence who wins wars just slightly more than bootlace aglets.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nothing like using a 104 year old design as the latest and greatest pistol on the market.

Seven, or eight round mag. capacity is like bringing a half-loaded gun to a gunfight.

Yet men from America went to war with them and won.

Pistols influence who wins wars just slightly more than bootlace aglets.  

Link Posted: 8/5/2015 3:27:16 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I was told they wanted a safety due to them throwing it in the webbing of their PCs.

Ex Devgru guy who was also there echoed the same request for when he was in

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Funny that they just got new 1911's, and everyone there is using G19's.

I have a buddy in 5th group.

Their using Glocks as well, but they want a safety on them

Glock has done that before.

British wanted a push button safety,

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/glock_17_thumb_safety-tfb-tm.jpg

This was for Austria.

http://www.forgottenweapons.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/glock.jpg

I was told they wanted a safety due to them throwing it in the webbing of their PCs.

Ex Devgru guy who was also there echoed the same request for when he was in

Someone here posted a photo of Prince Harry where his BHP is carried like that I think.

Link Posted: 8/5/2015 3:28:15 PM EDT
[#9]
ROFL, that article is ancient, at a time 1911's were very popular due to hi-cap mag bans.
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 3:37:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
ROFL, that article is ancient, at a time 1911's were very popular due to hi-cap mag bans.
View Quote

It sure is.  About the only people who could get hi-caps were local, state and Federal law enforcement.  Would've thought for sure the FBI knew that.  
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 3:44:15 PM EDT
[#11]
All of them ?  Or just the new guys who didn't know any better ?  As stated, I know there are FBI SWAT who still carry those things and most would probably take to it the range for quals...but not much more.

Quoted:

Last time I was on the range with FBI SWAT guys they were still packing Springer 1911's.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
That article is ancient.  While I have no doubt there are still a fair number of 1911's in use in tactical programs, most Agents (regardless of additional specialty) use the issued Glock.  Twice as many rounds, less maintenance, less cost, less fuss...equal (or better) performance.

Last time I was on the range with FBI SWAT guys they were still packing Springer 1911's.

Link Posted: 8/5/2015 3:45:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

It sure is.  About the only people who could get hi-caps were local, state and Federal law enforcement.  Would've thought for sure the FBI knew that.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 8/5/2015 3:46:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 3:52:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

The guys I shot with had been on regional teams for a while, agents longer than that.

I did not get the impression that they had an option to carry anything else. That was a couple of years ago, though.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
All of them ?  Or just the new guys who didn't know any better ?  

The guys I shot with had been on regional teams for a while, agents longer than that.

I did not get the impression that they had an option to carry anything else. That was a couple of years ago, though.

Im sure Glocks are now approved for them, or one would think anyways.

Look guys, Im in no way saying that the Professional is better than a Glock, but Im also not saying a Glock is better than a Professional.

I would opt for the pro every day, well I guess I do that anyways as I do have a Glock in the stable as well.

Article in point just disproves a lot of the nonsense spouted about 1911s here
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 3:54:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
That article is ancient.  While I have no doubt there are still a fair number of 1911's in use in tactical programs, most Agents (regardless of additional specialty) use the issued Glock.  Twice as many rounds, less maintenance, less cost, less fuss...equal (or better) performance.
View Quote

Yeah.  OP needs to update the original post and note that the article is over 15 years old.  Couple of guys I've dealt with at work that were out of the New Orleans Field Office and FBI SWAT weren't carrying those.
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 3:57:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Is this real? I could've sworn that old Buck, Ditch, whatever his name is, said that he's never seen a 1911 go through a class of his without having a big malfunction/failure. He said this on a video he did about 1911's and how they aren't made like there were back in the day...

(He did say that, but I don't know if I really believe him)
View Quote

The number one problem with 1911s in high round count classes is match everything.
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 4:01:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

The number one problem with 1911s in high round count classes is match everything.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Is this real? I could've sworn that old Buck, Ditch, whatever his name is, said that he's never seen a 1911 go through a class of his without having a big malfunction/failure. He said this on a video he did about 1911's and how they aren't made like there were back in the day...

Not necessarily so. Too many manufactures don't know how to setup extractors IMHO. Every 1911 I have seen have a feeding problem has been due to that

My first real class, with Kyle Defoor. I brought a pretty much brand spanking new TRP to his class. Worked great.

Same has been true about my Pro when going to classes. Hackathorn will be next this month, I think I will finally have an instructor who wont get butt hurt I brought a 1911 to the class .
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 4:02:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

50,000 rounds between 5 1911's? I'm pretty sure that's what Glock calls a factory test fire for new guns.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Found this on the web. Very cool article about the FBI trials that lead to picking the best contender for their elite SWAT type units

Few excerpts

"The test consisted of several parts: first came an inspection for compliance to the specifications, followed by a safety check, an abuse test, a firing test, a \"field suitability\" test, an accuracy test, an endurance test and, finally, a second accuracy test."

"While all of the FBI\'s requirements were demanding, the most rigorous was accuracy. Chosen at random, two of the five guns had to shoot no more than 1.5\" at 25 yards for three 10-shot groups from a Ransom Rest. Then the guns would be shot for 20,000 rounds in an endurance test, after which a second accuracy test would be conducted with no more than 15 percent degradation in accuracy being acceptable."

"At the end of the day, the five guns had shot a total of nearly 50,000 rounds between them, been dropped, thrown, examined under a microscope and passed through innumerable hands."

"This is the toughest test the government has probably ever conducted for any gun, other than maybe a machinegun,\" Williams commented."

Article
http://www.scribd.com/doc/273099192/Most-Wanted-the-FBI-s-Prestigious-SWAT-Team-Pistol

Example of said pistol

<a href="http://s301.photobucket.com/user/cclement45/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2015-04-10%2018.35.46_zpsaq3dbrte.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn63/cclement45/Mobile%20Uploads/2015-04-10%2018.35.46_zpsaq3dbrte.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s301.photobucket.com/user/cclement45/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2015-04-11%2013.03.55_zpsye6pgyyy.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn63/cclement45/Mobile%20Uploads/2015-04-11%2013.03.55_zpsye6pgyyy.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s301.photobucket.com/user/cclement45/media/IMG_3481057603469_zpsarg5t0xy.jpeg.html" target="_blank">http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn63/cclement45/IMG_3481057603469_zpsarg5t0xy.jpeg</a>

Their are plenty of people who would tell you how much that statement is incorrect.
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 4:04:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
FBI SWAT is not HRT.... it's just "swat trained" field agents.  It's a complete waste of money.
View Quote

And this.
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 4:07:30 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Not necessarily so. Too many manufactures don't know how to setup extractors IMHO. Every 1911 I have seen have a feeding problem has been due to that

My first real class, with Kyle Defoor. I brought a pretty much brand spanking new TRP to his class. Worked great.

Same has been true about my Pro when going to classes. Hackathorn will be next month, I think I will finally have an instructor who wont get butt hurt I brought a 1911 to the class .
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same has been true about my Pro when going to classes. Hackathorn will be next month, I think I will finally have an instructor who wont get butt hurt I brought a 1911 to the class .

Talk to most of the instructors that think the 1911s suck and they will likely tell you the names of some well known custom gun houses, and how things start off great the first morning then after lunch break or towards the end of the day the guns start developing lots of problems.
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 4:10:37 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Talk to most of the instructors that think the 1911s suck and they will likely tell you the names of some well known custom gun houses, and how things start off great the first morning then after lunch break or towards the end of the day the guns start developing lots of problems.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Im not saying you are incorrect as super tight tolerances can lead to problems when shooting high round counts.

The thing is Im always the only 1911 guy. But I have brought tight 1911s and haven't had a problem. Granted I add lube throughout the day.

Most 1911 malfunctions I have seen are simply due to a horrible tension or radius job on the extractor. That's just my experience though
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 4:14:20 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I'm joking.

That's not a feat for a Glock handgun, its a decent start for a gun that should last tens of thousands of more rounds without anything but routine, drop-in parts replacement. OP can gnash the teeth all he wants, the Glock stomps 1911's in every area that matters.

Parts replacement- Can parts simply be dropped in by a laymen, no fitting required?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Few excerpts

Article

Example of said pistol

I'm joking.

It was actually two pistols shooting 20K each without malfunction.

That is pretty impressive for a gun that can consistently shoot 1.5" 10 shot groups IMO.

Link Posted: 8/5/2015 4:16:16 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 4:18:02 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I've been to classes where we couldn't even get 150 rounds in before 1911's started choking.

...but I've also found that lots of people who bring a 1911 to class don't realize they need to be generously lubricated to run through 400-800 rounds in a single day. Or that at some point the recoil spring should be changed. Or that mag springs should be changed. Or that you shouldn't feed an expensive custom the shittiest Russian steel-cased Russian FMJ ammo you can find.

Lots of people have no clue how to actually live with the 1911 as a sidearm.

I've always had exceptionally good reliability out of the non-shitty guns I've bought.

Hell, I'm running a 9mm 1911 right now and it's performed splendidly. Not so much as a hiccup in a couple of classes now and almost 2,000 rounds downrange with it. And that's a 9mm 1911...the ones everybody says aren't supposed to work worth a fuck.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've been to classes where we couldn't even get 150 rounds in before 1911's started choking.

...but I've also found that lots of people who bring a 1911 to class don't realize they need to be generously lubricated to run through 400-800 rounds in a single day. Or that at some point the recoil spring should be changed. Or that mag springs should be changed. Or that you shouldn't feed an expensive custom the shittiest Russian steel-cased Russian FMJ ammo you can find.

Lots of people have no clue how to actually live with the 1911 as a sidearm.

I've always had exceptionally good reliability out of the non-shitty guns I've bought.

Hell, I'm running a 9mm 1911 right now and it's performed splendidly. Not so much as a hiccup in a couple of classes now and almost 2,000 rounds downrange with it. And that's a 9mm 1911...the ones everybody says aren't supposed to work worth a fuck.

Frank Proctor is also shooting a 9mm 1911 at the moment.

We traded for a bit last time I shot with him. Maybe one day Ill convert over to that bastard European round as well. I could track my sights so easily with that setup
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 4:20:47 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 4:23:03 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I'm a fan. 9mm works splendidly on bad guys and you get more bullets in the magazine of a weapon that has hardly any muzzle flip. And it shoots sub 1" groups at 25 yards.

I doesn't do anything that a Glock 17 doesn't do, realistically, but god damn do I love it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We traded for a bit last time I shot with him. Maybe one day Ill convert over to that bastard European round as well. I could track my sights so easily with that setup

I'm a fan. 9mm works splendidly on bad guys and you get more bullets in the magazine of a weapon that has hardly any muzzle flip. And it shoots sub 1" groups at 25 yards.

I doesn't do anything that a Glock 17 doesn't do, realistically, but god damn do I love it.

Added plus,1911 is American designed
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 4:27:40 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Which bastard 9mm 1911 are you using?  

Link Posted: 8/5/2015 4:42:22 PM EDT
[#28]
A part time SWAT team around my area used P226 9mm's for years with no problems. They upgraded to the P226R's a few years after they came out, and again, zero issues. After about a year of having the new "R" models, they went cold weather training in the snow. Many of the "operators" (yes, that's what they call themselves) left their handguns in the sued lined 6004's and threw them in their go bags. Shockingly, the next time they pulled them out, they were covered in rust. Some were pitted and some weren't too bad.

Fast forward a few months, the ugly pitted SIGs weren't good enough anymore. They decided they need to go to a "man's round" and wanted 1911's. So they sold the SIGs and bought brand new Kimber Warriors, you know, so they can operate in style. First time at the range, none of them would run correctly with the issued Gold Dot rounds. Not one. Eventually they had to switch to a different load and from what I have been told, they still run like shit.

OAF!!
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 4:44:08 PM EDT
[#29]
There is a reason why the vast....VAST....majority of LE uses Glock.

Link Posted: 8/5/2015 4:48:29 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

Well yeah... because GLOCK pretty much gives them the guns for free.  What does that have to do with anything?
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 4:55:55 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

because bean counters
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 4:56:55 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

because bean counters
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

because bean counters

And lowest common denominator
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 5:03:40 PM EDT
[#33]
Never understood the love affair with GLOCK 19.  Feels tiny.  I'm much happier with my 17L and 21.
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 5:10:44 PM EDT
[#34]
Like there weren't enough 1911's on gun magazine covers as it is.
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 5:12:18 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Never understood the love affair with GLOCK 19.  Feels tiny.  I'm much happier with my 17L and 21.
View Quote

Hand size. If your hands are more in the 'medium' than 'large' range, it's a perfect fit - pretty much all the shootability of the full-sized 17, but more concealable.
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 5:19:08 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Like there weren't enough 1911's on gun magazine covers as it is.
View Quote

Why do you hate America's gun?
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 5:23:29 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Generally why you get feeding problems

Ive never once messed with a feedramp in my entire life on a 1911.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

They were a very poor choice. Lots of feeding problems without lots of feed ramp mods and tender loving care.

Agreed

I have hit a few with some flitz and elbow grease

but see um all the time that get the dremel or valve grinding compound treatment and end up changing the geometry of the ramp

Link Posted: 8/5/2015 5:26:50 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Well yeah... because GLOCK pretty much gives them the guns for free.  What does that have to do with anything?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Which also raises the question on how much profit margin they're making on civvie sales.

Their Blue specials are marked up as fuck.

Those plastic grenades cost them pennies on the dollar to make.
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 5:31:19 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Agreed
but see um all the time that get the dremel or valve grinding compound treatment and end up changing the geometry of the ramp

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
They were a very poor choice. Lots of feeding problems without lots of feed ramp mods and tender loving care.

Agreed

I had a buddy give his 1911 to his "gunsmith" buddy to add a beavertail.

He used a dremel to install it . He no longer got hammer bite, but got pinched by the gap between the GS and frame. Think hot dog down a hall way and that's how atrocious this gap was

Dremels have very very very few applications on a 1911, feed ramp is definitely not one of them.

Ive never touched mine, and I can hand feed rounds very smoothly. It all comes down to that extractor and having a good radius for the rim to slip into
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 5:33:26 PM EDT
[#40]
We've been through this before.

Picking a pistol that requires hand fitting to outfit a unit is fucking stupid.
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 5:34:52 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 5:35:55 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote

And picking a pistol because the manufacturer builds them to a stupid low price point that selling units at 200 bucks a pop is profitable is equally dumb.
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 5:38:07 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 5:41:44 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Wilson CQB.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Which bastard 9mm 1911 are you using?    

Wilson CQB.

Exactly what Proctor was shooting.

It shot so damn nice man.
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 5:44:25 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Syphilis is free.  You don't see people lining up to get it.

It's because Glock works. Period.
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 5:46:07 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Any of easily a dozen modern pistols are every bit as good or better, to think any different is just fucking delusional.  GLOCK = marketing.
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 5:47:22 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yet I saw some jam in the match I shot Saturday

The article this pistol is on, didn't hiccup at all during the match.

Every gun can malfunction, and Glock is FAR from being immune from that.
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 5:47:34 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

And picking a pistol because the manufacturer builds them to a stupid low price point that selling units at 200 bucks a pop is profitable is equally dumb.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So we're left with... HK? Maybe Sig?
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 5:48:24 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Any of easily a dozen modern pistols are every bit as good or better, to think any different is just fucking delusional.  GLOCK = marketing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So many any other pistol that from the box with ZERO mods has the same trigger pull, trigger reset, function, reliability, and zero break in required?

Link Posted: 8/5/2015 5:49:56 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:Every gun can malfunction, and Glock is FAR from being immune from that.
View Quote

No gun is malfunction free.

Glock however has millions of rounds with very few.

My personal Glocks have close to 100k with 2...both blazer ammo related
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top