Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Truecrypt was never authorized.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ok, I know for some things our G2 IMO Officer had to have copies of our truecrypt passwords for reg and hidden containers.

If the above was true why would they need our passwords for our containers on the gov laptops?

If they could access them why would they need our password?
Depending on what they were using it for it would be up to the authorizing official to give it an ATO on their network.  (Not that I've seen it used)
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 3:49:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Oh look you're bringing #Pizzagate into yet another thread.
View Quote
Those problems are far deeper and far more longstanding than Podesta and pizzagate.  Hollywood has been an open secret almost since its inception.  DC is just as bad.  Dennis Hastert was Speaker of the House, and a known pederast.  

The issue I'm getting at is the statists use the same bogeymen every time they ask to undermine our Constitution - terrorism, drugs, kid touchers, etc.  Yet I challenge you to find any actual evidence that all these infringements upon the Constitution have made us any safer.  The Boston Marathon bombing.  Major Hassan.  Numerous attacks in Europe.  And now Las Vegas.  All those secret powers didn't stop those.  But just one more freedom, the elites say, and you'll finally have traded liberty for security.  Meanwhile FISA Courts are used against political opponents, the NSA spys on everything and lies to Congress about it, and Muslim terrorist organizations are invited to the White House.  

The fact that the government doesn't go against these known nest of druggies, pedos, and terrorists proves the hypocrisy.  They don't want to go after the real bogeymen, they just want to trot them out to ask for more funding and more infringements on our freedoms.  

"Mr. Ness, everybody knows where the booze is.  The problem isn't finding it, the problem is who wants to cross Capone." (Skip to 1:30)

The Untouchables - Clip - First Liquor Raid

And the sad thing is I don't want to hate on the government.  I want to root for Mr. Ness.  But it seems there's no one in Washington other than Trump willing to take on Capone.  
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 3:50:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Good.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 3:51:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I use encryption for my backups of the stuff I write.  I like to lie to myself and believe that my writing is good enough someone would actually want to steal it and use it
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

"Good enough" for probably 99.97 percent of the threat models out there...

(Standing by the get flamed by some obscure Linux flavor zealot)
I use encryption for my backups of the stuff I write.  I like to lie to myself and believe that my writing is good enough someone would actually want to steal it and use it
I think of it like my gun safe:  Will my Liberty Franklin stop Robert Deniro's character from "The Score"?  Nah.  Will it keep out the local methhead / criminal teenager for a while?  Sure.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 3:52:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Absolutely.

Translation of OP's article:

"These constitutionally-protected rights are a real problem; big government needs a "final solution" to these problematic rights!"
View Quote
I feel like maybe you don't understand.   Even with search warrants, not some covert FBI tin foil CRAP,  the information is not being able to be retrieved.  This isn't some mass conspiracy, these are child molestors taking pics of you or your neighbors kids, these are drug dealers.  Many of them have already been charged but the info for further prosecution can't be received........ask me how I know after busting an auto theft  ring
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 3:53:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I think of it like my gun safe:  Will my Liberty Franklin stop Robert Deniro's character from "The Score"?  Nah.  Will it keep out the local methhead / criminal teenager for a while?  Sure.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

"Good enough" for probably 99.97 percent of the threat models out there...

(Standing by the get flamed by some obscure Linux flavor zealot)
My plan to protect my data from super-secret national level methods is to not do anything that super-secret national level methods are used to counter.  
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 3:53:24 PM EDT
[#7]
How did they "investigate" before "mobile devices" were a thing?
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 3:53:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote
Roger
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 3:54:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I feel like maybe you don't understand.   Even with search warrants, no some covert FBI tin foil CRAP,  the information is not being able to be retrieved.  This isn't some mass conspiracy, these are child molestors taking pics of you or your neighbors kids, these are drug dealers.  Many of them have already been charged but the info for further prosecution can't be received........ask me how I know after busting an auto theft  ring
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Absolutely.

"These constitutionally-protected rights are a real problem; big government needs a "final solution" to these problematic rights!"
I feel like maybe you don't understand.   Even with search warrants, no some covert FBI tin foil CRAP,  the information is not being able to be retrieved.  This isn't some mass conspiracy, these are child molestors taking pics of you or your neighbors kids, these are drug dealers.  Many of them have already been charged but the info for further prosecution can't be received........ask me how I know after busting an auto theft  ring
We understand.  In order for them to be stopped we just need to give the government a back-door into our encrypted data.  Of course this back-door will be kept secret and not make its way out into the wild.  And of course the government won't have this back door in their encryption.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 3:59:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote
"Crime" changes.  Law Enforcement adapts.

Or lobbies Congress for legislation to make their jobs easier.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 4:01:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I feel like maybe you don't understand.   Even with search warrants, not some covert FBI tin foil CRAP,  the information is not being able to be retrieved.  This isn't some mass conspiracy, these are child molestors taking pics of you or your neighbors kids, these are drug dealers.  Many of them have already been charged but the info for further prosecution can't be received........ask me how I know after busting an auto theft  ring
View Quote
The government you would create would be a far larger threat.  We've already seen how badly the government has abused FISA courts under Obama.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 4:01:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Boo hoo. 

They act like the gov has an innate right to our communications. Statist fuck indeed. 
View Quote
This...
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 4:03:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Absolutely.

I feel like you don't understand how freedom works Mr policeman.

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 4:06:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
The government you would create would be a far larger threat.  We've already seen how badly the government has abused FISA courts under Obama.
View Quote
Yeah yeah credit cards are evil, GPS is only used to track you, Alexa is always listening, and gold is the only currency I use........it's coming at some point regardless of protest sooooo mine as well get used to it ;)
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 4:08:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Good.
View Quote
Agreed. Privacy and anonymity are two rights that people seem so eager to give up.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 4:09:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Agreed. Privacy and anonymity are two rights that people seem so eager to give up.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Good.
"Alexa!  What is 'anonymity'?"
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 4:10:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
The DoD CIO memo on DAR was specifically for unclassified laptops as classified ones should have proper physical controls in place to keep them from being walked away with from airports.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Within the DoD at least, data at rest protections are required for all unclassified laptops.
The DoD CIO memo on DAR was specifically for unclassified laptops as classified ones should have proper physical controls in place to keep them from being walked away with from airports.
DoD CIO memo is not the only applicable guidance.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 4:11:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Within the DoD at least, data at rest protections are required for all unclassified laptops.
FISMA applies to errrrrrrrrrybody, right?
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 4:12:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Good.
Lol
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 4:13:24 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you run up the tree far enough, pretty much.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 4:13:35 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Oh look you're bringing #Pizzagate into yet another thread.
View Quote
Should be easy to verify. Let's face it we won't know there is a crime until we investigate.
Didn't the owner of the pizza parlor of pizzagate fame get killet?
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 4:13:52 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Good.
View Quote
FPNI.

Bush & Obama have created a complete mass surveillance state. We all have to take steps to protect our privacy and insure our own 4th Amendment rights.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 4:14:10 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote
I came here to post this.  Get off your lazy fat ass and go do some cop work.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 4:16:12 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Yeah yeah credit cards are evil, GPS is only used to track you, Alexa is always listening, and gold is the only currency I use........it's coming at some point regardless of protest sooooo mine as well get used to it ;)
View Quote
You know, you will have to fight sometime.  Tyranny always ends the same way.  From Rome to the medieval Princes, to Stalin.  They will never leave you alone.  They will take and take and take until your property is theirs, you women are theirs, and ultimately your life is theirs.  The question is not if you will fight them, but when.  
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 4:17:13 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Absolutely.

Bummer. Catch them some other way. Try harder.

I'm not a kiddie diddler, and I'm not (I repeat NOT) using insecure or otherwise flawed implementations of encryption on account of the degenerates you arrest. I'm not your problem, they are. And unless you plan on making certain applications of math illegal (I'll print them on a t-shirt if I have to - that's always fun), you're not stopping it either. 

We're in a new era, and you need to evolve with it. There is not a legislative solution to this. You need to be smarter than the people you're arresting. 
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 4:18:25 PM EDT
[#26]
If the FBI thinks an individual's data privacy is a problem, then I tend to think that the FBI's mindset is the REAL problem.

PGP-4096 for everybody, all the time!  Let them chew on that!
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 4:19:37 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote
Don't care. You crack the pedo's phone, you have then cracked mine. My 4A rights supersede the police's need to decrypt data.

Somewhat like my 2A rights are more important than the government's power to regulate it.

I stand firm in my absolutism for all Civil Rights.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 4:19:49 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Of course not.  What particular policy are you going to reference?
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 4:19:54 PM EDT
[#29]
Smash it with a hammer, it's the only way to be sure!
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 4:19:55 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Is this their way of demanding access via back doors?
View Quote
There is no back door to encryption.

It's either secure, or it isn't. If the FBI has a back door, so do the Chinese, the Russians, hackers, cranks, and your next door neighbor. 
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 4:20:31 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I'm not a kiddie diddler, and I'm not (I repeat NOT) using insecure or otherwise flawed implementations of encryption on account of the degenerates you arrest. I'm not your problem, they are. And unless you plan on making certain applications of math illegal (I'll print them on a t-shirt if I have to - that's always fun), you're not stopping it either. 

We're in a new era, and you need to evolve with it. There is not a legislative solution to this. You need to be smarter than the people you're arresting. 
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Absolutely.

Bonus points for the DeCSS reference.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 4:21:58 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Absolutely.

Link Posted: 10/23/2017 4:21:59 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Anyone who thinks intel types don't have backdoors are fooling themselves.  They just don't tip their hand or show off their actual capability for petty stuff like homicide, drug / gun running, or theft.  They save it for the big stuff.
View Quote
No, they don't. 

Well implemented strong encryption isn't just hackable with some bit of knowledge. The laws of physics get in the way.

Are there still ways to get to the data?  Sure.  But just hacking the encryption isn't in the cards.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 4:23:02 PM EDT
[#34]
Lets get tid of the 4th Amendment then. If someone is a whistleblower they can ask the govt for special encryption license.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 4:23:27 PM EDT
[#35]
just clone the phone
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 4:24:17 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote
I don't care.

Destroying encryption isn't worth catching the occasional shithead. 

If you take down encryption, you pretty much destroy everything from e-commerce on down. It literally breaks capitalism in the 21st century.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 4:24:17 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
No, they don't. 

Well implemented strong encryption isn't just hackable with some bit of knowledge. The laws of physics get in the way.

Are there still ways to get to the data?  Sure.  But just hacking the encryption isn't in the cards.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Anyone who thinks intel types don't have backdoors are fooling themselves.  They just don't tip their hand or show off their actual capability for petty stuff like homicide, drug / gun running, or theft.  They save it for the big stuff.
No, they don't. 

This.  The Shadowbrokers leak(s) are some decent evidence that "they" don't have a version of that black box from the movie "Sneakers".
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 4:26:12 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Of course not.  What particular policy are you going to reference?
View Quote
PM sent.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 4:28:20 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote
This is rapidly becoming the case with Gun Control as well when you consider 3D printing. It's really applicable to any number of things, the thought of  Government "controlling" anything anymore is becoming a quaint idea. It scares the shit out of them....The sooner they figure it out, the better.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 4:30:08 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Absolutely.

Real men get tattoos
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 4:38:12 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Don't care. You crack the pedo's phone, you have then cracked mine. My 4A rights supersede the police's need to decrypt data.

Somewhat like my 2A rights are more important than the government's power to regulate it.

I stand firm in my absolutism for all Civil Rights.
View Quote
Hitting a SW on a pedos phone has nothing to do with your 4A........We can scream the sky is falling all day but actuality it's still pretty and blue and waiting to greet you in the morning.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 4:41:46 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote
I don’t care. I’m not into giving up liberty for safety. Were you ok with the idea of gun control after sandy hook? Do it for the children.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 4:44:21 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I don’t care. I’m not into giving up liberty for safety. Were you ok with the idea of gun control after sandy hook? Do it for the children.
View Quote
No ones asking you to give up liberty and now you're just being silly :).
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 4:46:37 PM EDT
[#44]
Encrypt all the things, fuck the Feds.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 4:47:59 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you're requiring him to use cryptographically insecure code (backdoors qualify) by law, then yes you are. 
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 4:48:23 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
just clone the phone
View Quote
Nope.  Doesn't work that way.

The content is still encrypted even if you make a bit for bit copy of the Flash Rom.

It can only be read and decrypted by the SAME serialized CPU that wrote it, AND still requires the correct password as well.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 4:49:59 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Good.
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 4:52:00 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote
You support gun confiscation and Chinese identity theft, got it. It's for the children.

That's fucked up, but it's understandable for guns. If you build better hardware it doesn't necessarily get shared and if you take away mine, the JBTs can keep theirs.

The difference is there's no marginal production cost to math. So where physical conflict is prejudiced towards win/lose and lose/win on a 2x2 cooperate/defect matrix, computing infrastructure is biased towards win/win and lose/lose. Every backdoor you build, you build for China.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 4:52:47 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 4:57:43 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
If you're requiring him to use cryptographically insecure code (backdoors qualify) by law, then yes you are. 
View Quote
I guess there in lies the communication breakdown.  I am not advocating lesser quality data encryption for the consumer!  I fully support the best data encryption available to the consumer but as someone who isn't tech savvy, I can't help but think apple could create a program or internal software to retrieve the encrypted data for law enforcement upon issuance of a search warrant.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top