Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 1/1/2022 11:38:41 AM EDT
51 y/o, house is paid off, cars are paid off, CC's are paid in full every month.  Four weeks ago my score was at 752, today it drops to 744.  I am almost out of the Very Good range.  

What is this nonsense?  How do I not look like a great credit risk when it comes to finances?  I've not had any hard credit inquiries for financing
Link Posted: 1/1/2022 11:40:53 AM EDT
[#1]
744 is hardly a credit risk.
Link Posted: 1/1/2022 11:41:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Your score isn't used by financing companies like you think it is.

It's actually a measure of how much $$$ they can drain from you.  Your history shows them that you don't like to keep much debt, so this means they can't extract as much $$$ from you
Link Posted: 1/1/2022 11:42:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Take out some interest free credit, that's what we did on a home remodel.
Link Posted: 1/1/2022 11:42:08 AM EDT
[#4]
FICO score is more about how well creditors can make money off you than how well you manage money.

They aren't making money off you when everything is paid off.
Link Posted: 1/1/2022 11:42:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Age of credit, debt ratio when the credit is checked(maybe pay your CC earlier in the month?), did you use credit a bunch more for Christmas?
Link Posted: 1/1/2022 11:42:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Everything is paid off and you pay the cards off every month. Not enough credit/loan utilization?
Link Posted: 1/1/2022 11:43:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
51 y/o, house is paid off, cars are paid off, CC's are paid in full every month.  
View Quote

You don't need a credit score.
Link Posted: 1/1/2022 11:44:24 AM EDT
[#8]
To get a really high score you need to borrow lots of money and pay it down.  When your mortgage is almost paid off, get an equity loan. When your car is paid for, get a loan for another.  HVAC goes out, they finance at very good rates.  High credit scores are reserved for those that have proven they can handle credit, not those that don’t use it or need it.
Link Posted: 1/1/2022 11:44:33 AM EDT
[#9]
take out a small loan and watch it go up
Link Posted: 1/1/2022 11:44:38 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Your score isn't used by financing companies like you think it is.

It's actually a measure of how much $$$ they can drain from you.  Your history shows them that you don't like to keep much debt, so this means they can't extract as much $$$ from you
View Quote

didn't take long.

its a measure of how likely you are to pay to them back. meaning what risk you are that you don't pay at all. nothing more or less
Link Posted: 1/1/2022 11:45:27 AM EDT
[#11]
What are your credit statements each month? Are they like $1,500? Time your credit card posting so that you pay it early and it post each month with you only owing $100 or so on your statement.

But anyways, what you care if you are almost debt free? Forget them, you going to cash-flow from now on?
Link Posted: 1/1/2022 11:45:51 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
FICO score is more about how well creditors can make money off you than how well you manage money.

They aren't making money off you when everything is paid off.
View Quote
Then why is mine always around 815-830?
I am 100% debt free, utilize about 3-4% of my credit, pay off every month, paid off mortgage, no auto loans since 2003, no loans.
Link Posted: 1/1/2022 11:46:31 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Age of credit, debt ratio when the credit is checked(maybe pay your CC earlier in the month?), did you use credit a bunch more for Christmas?
View Quote

I think one of my cards is over seven years old.  The CC's are auto-paid but I will look into changing the payment date, not sure if it needs to move forward or backward.

I'm sure we did use more for Xmas stuff
Link Posted: 1/1/2022 11:46:54 AM EDT
[#14]
You should definitely go finance a bunch of stuff to get a better credit score.
Link Posted: 1/1/2022 11:47:05 AM EDT
[#15]
Dropped from 840 to 750 after I paid off my house and stopped using my credit cards. No other changes f credit agencies.
Link Posted: 1/1/2022 11:47:25 AM EDT
[#16]
That's a very good credit score.
Link Posted: 1/1/2022 11:47:57 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

Bingo, freeze that shit and go on with your life.
Link Posted: 1/1/2022 11:48:57 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
You should definitely go finance a bunch of stuff to get a better credit score.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/1/2022 11:49:43 AM EDT
[#19]
LOL. They are a joke. I have an 800 score and perfect payments with no late payments on anything.

I was turned down for a shell gas card by Citi because Experion had an ex-wife I divorced 20 years ago tied to my record apparently.

Funny thing is I have a Cosctco Citi card card and have perfect payment record (paid off every month also)

The credit agencies are a joke.
Link Posted: 1/1/2022 11:50:13 AM EDT
[#20]
Buy a house and a car. Your score will go up.
Link Posted: 1/1/2022 11:51:42 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 1/1/2022 11:52:53 AM EDT
[#22]
Mine does weird drops every 5-6 months usually about 40 points..zero debt, balance payed monthly...

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/1/2022 11:52:58 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
51 y/o, house is paid off, cars are paid off, CC's are paid in full every month.  Four weeks ago my score was at 752, today it drops to 744.  I am almost out of the Very Good range.  

What is this nonsense?  How do I not look like a great credit risk when it comes to finances?  I've not had any hard credit inquiries for financing
View Quote

Weird, mine just dropped 11 points on Thursday.

Didn't pay anything off, no new credit cards, never carried a balance that collects interest on my CC.

Don't really care because I am not looking to use my credit, just thought it was kinda strange.
Link Posted: 1/1/2022 11:52:59 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

didn't take long.

its a measure of how likely you are to pay to them back. meaning what risk you are that you don't pay at all. nothing more or less
View Quote

Yeah, I've never carried a balance on anything other than my mortgage and I've been flirting with 800 score for a couple of years.

But it's not like a 740-750 score is going to cause you problems.
Link Posted: 1/1/2022 11:54:12 AM EDT
[#25]
I am at 820 i try to pay off all my Bills every month but this time of the year i carry debt Until Feb..if you owe a lot on one card it could bring your score down that happen to me
Link Posted: 1/1/2022 11:55:27 AM EDT
[#26]
Send me your cc number op. I’ll help you out
Link Posted: 1/1/2022 11:59:01 AM EDT
[#27]
You don’t need a credit score and chasing it is stupid for most people.
Link Posted: 1/1/2022 12:04:32 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I think one of my cards is over seven years old.  The CC's are auto-paid but I will look into changing the payment date, not sure if it needs to move forward or backward.

I'm sure we did use more for Xmas stuff
View Quote
That isn't very old, my oldest active of 3 is from 1993.
I generally check online or am notified by email of the balance due and pay it off before the bill arrives. ETA: I don't really know if that actually helps or not. I'm not sure if they look at total credit used for the month or just check the balance on a certain date.

Even if you paid off the previous bill amount due maybe the post billing balance grew from Thanksgiving and Christmas spending showing a big, abnormal credit usage which will ding you. Say you normally use $2k worth of credit a month then all of a sudden that jumps to $4k in one month, that will drop you pretty good. That happened to me when I moved last year, I almost tripled my credit use for that month and dropped my score 25pnts(as was explained by Experian)

If you sign up on Experian(free) they give you a breakdown of what is hurting and helping and what your credit/debt ratio is month to month.  Not that your credit is bad, but you clearly want to increase it.
Link Posted: 1/1/2022 12:07:16 PM EDT
[#29]
It's two guys in a room deciding on your score.
It sucks but there it is.
Link Posted: 1/1/2022 12:08:37 PM EDT
[#30]
stop checking your credit.
Link Posted: 1/1/2022 12:12:53 PM EDT
[#31]
Twice a year we put my son's college expenses on our credit card. This takes the credit bureaus by surprise and right before we pay it off in full, our credit score takes a 40 point hit. Then we pay it off, and it goes back up.

I always expect their software to be smart enough to recognize a repetitive charge and payment cycle, but apparently it isn't.

It's all smoke and mirrors.
Link Posted: 1/1/2022 12:17:14 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Take out some interest free credit, that's what we did on a home remodel.
View Quote
Wrong answer.
The right answer is, stay out of banks.
Link Posted: 1/1/2022 12:18:06 PM EDT
[#33]
Does increasing the available credit limit on a card(s) help or hurt a score?
Link Posted: 1/1/2022 12:18:53 PM EDT
[#34]
I’m 35 zero debt. Everything has been paid in full for the last year and a half. Was a truck. I usually pay credit cards weekly as to not post a bill. I’m credit has slowly dropped from 845ish Fico now down to 820s. It’s really sad to watch being a responsible adult and being down graded. Guess we
All need more debt to truly enjoy the lefts grand plan.
Link Posted: 1/1/2022 12:21:22 PM EDT
[#35]
Mine went from 820'ish to 750 (one is 785), no idea why. I only ran up about $15k during Nov/Dec and paid it all off in 2-3wks, before I even got the statement.

Barring you have a shitty below 700 number I think they are more interested in your history, they would rather see an exceptional payment history.

I honestly wish I had never signed up to get alerts, but I suppose watching it for fraud is important.
Link Posted: 1/1/2022 12:22:33 PM EDT
[#36]
That's nothing. Our local hospital sent me straight to collections instead of sending me a bill for $904 and my credit score dropped from 830 to 700. I got a notice that my credit report had changed and then contacted the hospital the next day and paid it. That was over a year ago and it's only up to 720 now. I was so pissed but no one would do anything to fix it so I'm the one who gets fucked.
Link Posted: 1/1/2022 12:24:35 PM EDT
[#37]
Damn, I remember when my score was that low. Then I got that second paper route and turned it all around.
Link Posted: 1/1/2022 12:25:38 PM EDT
[#38]
I hate these threads. The amount of financial ignorance in this world is mind blowing.

Not a dig at you, OP. Directed at the insane responses, theories, proclamations, and outright delusions in this thread.
Link Posted: 1/1/2022 12:26:35 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I honestly wish I had never signed up to get alerts, but I suppose watching it for fraud is important.
View Quote

I called all the places and "locked" my credit a couple years ago, then set up text alerts whenever my cc's are used. That put the kibosh on the loan company calls and I instantly know of some tard tries to use my cc. Also I use virtual cc numbers online and go through Paypal (I know, I know) whenever possible so random xqz company doesn't have to be trusted with my cc number, which is only good for a month anyway unless I delete it.
Link Posted: 1/1/2022 12:26:47 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

You do if you want to apply for a lot of jobs.  Credit scores are used in part to determine insurance rates.
Link Posted: 1/1/2022 12:27:58 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 1/1/2022 12:28:12 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Does increasing the available credit limit on a card(s) help or hurt a score?
View Quote
It helps because that lowers your credit to debt ratio. Provided you don't end up spending more .

Link Posted: 1/1/2022 12:29:11 PM EDT
[#43]
808 is all i need

no debt no nothing
Link Posted: 1/1/2022 12:29:19 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Everything is paid off and you pay the cards off every month. Not enough credit/loan utilization?
View Quote

Bingo.
Link Posted: 1/1/2022 12:30:25 PM EDT
[#45]
Try carrying a small balance on your cards for a cycle and watch your score jump.

My dad had a CC for 25 years and never carried over a balance.  One month, they reported a $15 balance and his score went up 12 points.
Link Posted: 1/1/2022 12:30:41 PM EDT
[#46]
I don't get these threads. For myself, I make good money, pay my bills on time. Bankers are always trying loan me money, they even take me out to lunch and try to get me to borrow money. I haven't cared what my credit score is since I was in my early 20's.
Don't know, don't care
Link Posted: 1/1/2022 12:31:27 PM EDT
[#47]
It doesn't sound like you need it, so why care?  If mine was 400 or 800, I wouldn't care either way.
Link Posted: 1/1/2022 12:32:54 PM EDT
[#48]
I sit pretty steadily around 825 with only debt being house payment and a 0% car payment. We use CC for all our purchasing though and pay it off each month.  I think the score is crafted from a measure of how likely you are to pay off your credit based on history, how much credit you have available to you, how much if it you use regularly, and how much they can collect on your spending habits.
Link Posted: 1/1/2022 12:33:39 PM EDT
[#49]
I got mine up to 820 to buy a house with the best rate possible, now I don't care.
Link Posted: 1/1/2022 12:35:30 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
You don’t need a credit score and chasing it is stupid for most people.
View Quote

Yep
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top