https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/42361/IMG_0160-2998197.jpg
View Quote

WHAT?
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 8:05:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

No shit.

Any dip shit can make a gun one color. It takes true art to fuck up 6 shades of FDE  ..

Really????? My 6 year old could draw a cucumber that looked like a big old dick one color.
View Quote
Color anodizing varies. See H&K, Daniel Defense,etc.

Why would you want it to be exact matching anyway?  Just get a black one.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 8:06:41 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm a problem solver.  Ruger should rename the rifle FUFN.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 8:13:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/12/2024 8:19:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
As someone who works with IP/trademarks professionally, this should be fun to watch. If the FN case is that "SFAR" looks too much like "SCAR" they should get a well-deserved slapdown.

I can't see any other similarities they could sue over in either the trademark or patent, since they share no operating design elements beyond being semi-auto in the same caliber. If FN cites some super broad patent that covers most semi-auto rifles (there are lots of very overly-board patents on the books so it's possible that is their intent) they are really asking to get their patent revoked.
View Quote

So far - no link.  I can't tell if this is an early April Fools joke.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 8:20:15 PM EDT
[#6]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I think my first car was less then that photo - new.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 8:22:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 8:30:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

It's a BaTtle RiFle!

I've shot a few 17s and 16s I was not impressed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Does FN think they own 5moa accuracy standards?

It's a BaTtle RiFle!

I've shot a few 17s and 16s I was not impressed.

Utter reliability in a .308 gas gun is admittedly boring.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 8:34:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

FN isn't an off brand. FFS,
View All Quotes
Quoted:

The Turks make a better Hi Power and MP5

Attachment Attached File

Glad I'm not the only one
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 8:39:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I can't find any actual evidence of a lawsuit over the SFAR. Does OP have a link to there they heard this?

https://storage.courtlistener.com/recap/gov.uscourts.ncmd.98070/gov.uscourts.ncmd.98070.1.0.pdf
That is just... wow
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 8:45:43 PM EDT
[#11]
I've known several people that worked for FN including a very close friend. The stories would blow your mind...the company is extremely dysfunctional and wouldn't be here today without riding on the wave of yesteryear's innovation fueled by govt contracts.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 8:47:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I've known several people that worked for FN including a very close friend. The stories would blow your mind...the company is extremely dysfunctional and wouldn't be here today without riding on the wave of yesteryear's innovation fueled by govt contracts.
View Quote

Thanks for the insight @SigOwner_P229
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 8:47:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

What in the trailer park methbilly are they talking about?  Does ruger actually pronounce it as a single word, sfar?
I haven't heard anybody call it that.  People do say "scar", because sc is a common letter combination in english words.  Not really that many sf words, except where the s and f are in different syllables, or even different words joined together.  Like assfuckers.  As in, FN are acting like assfuckers.
View Quote

Exactly. I think the only acronym people use for the Ruger is “POS”
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 8:48:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I want the SFAR to be awesome, but mostly mixed reviews so far
View Quote

I saw all the bad YouTube reviews from a year ago. Picked one up last month and haven’t had an issue.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 8:48:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
As someone who works with IP/trademarks professionally, this should be fun to watch. If the FN case is that "SFAR" looks too much like "SCAR" they should get a well-deserved slapdown.

I can't see any other similarities they could sue over in either the trademark or patent, since they share no operating design elements beyond being semi-auto in the same caliber. If FN cites some super broad patent that covers most semi-auto rifles (there are lots of very overly-board patents on the books so it's possible that is their intent) they are really asking to get their patent revoked.

OP posted it earlier. FN is being beyond stupid here. The claim is that "SFAR" sounds like "SCAR" and the rifles are too similar, and further claims that Ruger is intentionally damaging their brand by making customers believe that the guns are affiliated. Which is stupid.

http://storage.courtlistener.com/recap/gov.uscourts.ncmd.98070/gov.uscourts.ncmd.98070.1.0.pdf
A few years ago FN sued Ruger over a claimed violation of their "Five-seveN" wordmark, which Ruger's "Ruger-57" pistol was supposedly infringing on.  It was thrown out of court. I'd say this SFAR lawsuit is even worse than the 57 one.

I'm not sure if their lawyers don't know how trademarks work, or if FN is really just that desperate to stop Ruger from taking a big chunk of FN's market share, but this is just sad.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 8:48:59 PM EDT
[#16]
never heard of an SFAR,

Got excited, googled then was disappointed.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 8:50:04 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So an off brand, crap contract mfgr, wants to sue Ruger?  FANTASTIC!  The people at Ruger must be laughing their asses off!  Your SCAR is shit, no matter how many idiots overpay for it!  Your contract rifles Sucked Ass also????????

Don’t feed the XD Owners.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 8:52:13 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

That would be hilarious. FN’s lawsuit is dubious at best.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 8:53:36 PM EDT
[#19]
The SFAR is an AR 10, nothing more, good luck FN, FN you are mentally challenged.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 8:55:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

That sucks to hear. I’d love to work for FN and fix their product development but I’m not in a hurry to live a daily nightmare.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 8:57:24 PM EDT
[#21]

That a2 grip looks ridiculous.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 8:58:10 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What in the trailer park methbilly are they talking about?  Does ruger actually pronounce it as a single word, sfar?
I haven't heard anybody call it that.  People do say "scar", because sc is a common letter combination in english words.  Not really that many sf words, except where the s and f are in different syllables, or even different words joined together.  Like assfuckers.  As in, FN are acting like assfuckers.

Link Posted: 3/12/2024 8:58:34 PM EDT
[#23]
Not withstanding FN’s well-known and established rights in the SCAR Mark,
Ruger has commenced use of the trademark “SFAR”—pronounced as the word “SFAR”
rather than an abbreviation of letters—in connection with directly competing firearms to
FN’s SCAR-branded firearms (referred to herein collectively as the “Infringing SFAR
Mark”).
27. Ruger’s intentional violations of FN’s rights in the SCAR Mark include
Ruger referring to its own firearms products as simply the “SFAR” with no reference to
the term “Ruger,” as shown for example in the image below.
View Quote

Not going to bother to read all of it. But FN is upset that SFAR (Short Framed AR?) sounds too similar to SCAR. It is quite a silly and frivolous. Shame to see FN go down that road.

Yeah because people would confuse the two, they look so similar.

If you're thinking of dropping $3,500 on an FN SCAR 17 you'll know what it fucking looks like.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 9:02:16 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

They messed up their gas blocks and instead of fixing them they doubled down. Easy fix because who wants to buy a 308 AR that uses AR15 parts to not take advantage anyway.

1.5 MOA with Sako Hammerhead. Could probably squeeze more out of it with a better optic.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 9:05:51 PM EDT
[#25]
When Toyota planned a new truck to succeed T100, they wanted to name it "T150". Ford objected to it on the premise that it would violate their trademark on F-150 truck. Toyota named the new truck "Tundra".
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 9:12:35 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
https://i.imgur.com/bZoecSk.jpeg
View Quote

Dang. If you're going to sue someone, you at least make sure your photos look as similar as they can be. At least they didn't use a tan SCAR, but they should have 1.) scaled the images to be identical size, 2. made sure they both had identical flip-up sights in the same positions, not copy-pasted a fuzzy low-resolution FN SCAR photo vs a crisp Ruger pic, etc.

Even a non-gun enthusiast jury or even a judge is going to look at those pics and go "Uhh... These don't really look super similar..."
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 9:29:34 PM EDT
[#27]
And FN will raise the price of the SCAR to $8700 to pay for this.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 9:32:21 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

They messed up their gas blocks and instead of fixing them they doubled down. Easy fix because who wants to buy a 308 AR that uses AR15 parts to not take advantage anyway.

1.5 MOA with Sako Hammerhead. Could probably squeeze more out of it with a better optic.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/61399/IMG_2749_jpeg-3157526.JPG
View Quote

I love 100% FDE builds.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 9:37:53 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/61399/IMG_2749_jpeg-3157526.JPG
View Quote

Max FDE. I approve.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 9:46:18 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Does FN think they own 5moa accuracy standards?
View Quote

??
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 9:48:12 PM EDT
[#31]

I like the way the SFAR shoots better but I’m under no illusion it’s a better combat rifle than the SCAR. I have a limited round count through it so as much as I love it, who knows about its longevity. I may dislike FN but the SCAR is a hell of a rifle.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 9:57:22 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I'd rather have a SCAR
View Quote
I'd rather have the one you can suppress without destroying the rifle and voiding the warranty.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 9:59:08 PM EDT
[#33]
In before FN sues PSA for the JAKL violating FN’s “iCOnIC” SCAR trade dress

No one is going to confuse a SFAR for a SCAR, either visually or by name
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 10:00:38 PM EDT
[#34]
Isnt the SCAR a piston driven design and the Ruger a DGI on the same level as most other ARs and AR 15s?
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 10:04:13 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I have no idea what you are talking about.
View Quote

He's saying he can't spell
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 10:05:29 PM EDT
[#36]
So FN can sue Ruger but they can’t make a LS Edge High Power

Idiots
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 10:17:36 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Isnt the SCAR a piston driven design and the Ruger a DGI on the same level as most other ARs and AR 15s?
View Quote

SFAR is DI according to Google. Regardless, there are dozens of "piston" guns out there. FN is upset because of the name SFAR sounds like SCAR, and they claim it looks so similar that people would confuse the two.  

They're upsets because they are both generic gun shapes and have similar letters in the name. Design wise they're very different. Quite lame, I know it is FN America doing this, but FNH is getting some sales from the war in Ukraine. FN is big on the military/LE market while Ruger is more or less civilian only. Even the markets where each respective company derives most of their profits differ.

Quite the below the belt kick from FN America, and reflects poorly on them as a company IMO.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 10:19:51 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I worked for HK against ATI/GSG, so why not FN?
View Quote

What was your role there?
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 10:32:22 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Only link I can find is a 2020 patent infringement case.

https://www.pacermonitor.com/public/case/32771897/FN_Herstal,_SA_v_Sturm,_Ruger__Co,_Inc
View Quote

Never mind
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 1:52:49 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

Watching the A team in the 80s proved that rugers can't hit shit.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 2:08:40 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

To be fair:

SCAR
SFAR

They only changed one letter out of 4, and it's in the same position. At least they didn't do SKAR, that would have been too much, right?

I'd rather have a SCAR
View Quote

Aside from the hilarity of the claim, I thought that military designations were not something that could be trademarked.  The FN SCAR was submitted in response to the SCAR-JORD solicitation.  Link to History of SCAR Solicitation.

Either way, NOT buying an FN Scar (or any FN for that matter - which is remarkable b/c I have owned a shit-ton of firearms) remains one of my better decisions . . . only confirmed by this nonsense.  
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 2:15:05 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote

I guess verbal skills like reading are actually difficult for engineers, especially if they're lazy.  Page 1, posts 42, 46, and 50 all have the link to the complaint.  There's at lease one other quoting of that link on this page as well, @lazyengineer.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 2:25:29 AM EDT
[#43]
I'm glad they're doing this.  Just the other day, I went into a store looking for a SCAR, checked the name tag because I don't know what one looks like, and accidentally bought a SFAR.

Bastards tricked me!  I thought it was just a typo!!
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 3:12:49 AM EDT
[#44]
Right, so the docket has been posted now.

It would appear FN is using a 3rd party law firm to do the suit - vs in-house corporate lawyer team.  The complaints are so over-stated it's just hard to even read.  The included photographic evidence is a SHOT show pamphlet they didn't even bother spreading atop a scanner to get the creases out of, and a photo of the display screen of the Ruger Booth at the shot-show that has all the appearance of a hasty cell-phone grab.   Niiice.  very nice.  

Not involved - but as a disinterested perspective:  Basically it has the appearance of someone at SHOT show who's company is fading and travel budgets are declining; walking around and seeing someone else doing pretty well, taking some phone grabs, and sending an after-hours hotel room LOOK AT THIS SHIT! email to his team to justify his junket to SHOT while the company books are tanking on US civilian gun sales; and the home office going OMG!!  JUST LOOK AT THIS SHIT!!!  THIS IS AN OUTRAGE!   And here we are.  It's not a good look for FN.  It makes them look petty, and at the same time desperate as their 2024 US sales market is tough, and they have got to be pretty much in the toilet by now.   As it is with many; and they ain't cheap, and their differentiators no longer are that differentiating.  And PSA now has their own hammer-forge up and running.

In fact, let's go look.  Let's go to Ruger.com.  And look at that - right there on the bottom of their homepage: Careers!  Companies that look to hire, tend to be companies doing OK.
And now lets go to FNFirearmsUSA website.  And we see...  well.   Um.. there's an About US page, so we'll go to that.  And...   andd... nope, no Career's page.  

And now the pieces are starting to come together.  This is not a good look FN.  On the plus side, looks like Ruger has multiple locations, including one not so far away from SC, in Maydan NC.  And looks like they have 9 positions to fill.  So there's that.  
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 7:24:12 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Not going to bother to read all of it. But FN is upset that SFAR (Short Framed AR?) sounds too similar to SCAR. It is quite a silly and frivolous. Shame to see FN go down that road.

https://i.imgur.com/bZoecSk.jpeg

If you're thinking of dropping $3,500 on an FN SCAR 17 you'll know what it fucking looks like.
View Quote
FN is calling us dumb unwashed hicks too stupid to be able to tell the difference.  May the Bud Light be upon them.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 7:32:30 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

It would appear FN is using a 3rd party law firm to do the suit - vs in-house corporate lawyer team.  The complaints are so over-stated it's just hard to even read.  The included photographic evidence is a SHOT show pamphlet they didn't even bother spreading atop a scanner to get the creases out of, and a photo of the display screen of the Ruger Booth at the shot-show that has all the appearance of a hasty cell-phone grab.   Niiice.  very nice.  

Not involved - but as a disinterested perspective:  Basically it has the appearance of someone at SHOT show who's company is fading and travel budgets are declining; walking around and seeing someone else doing pretty well, taking some phone grabs, and sending an after-hours hotel room LOOK AT THIS SHIT! email to his team to justify his junket to SHOT while the company books are tanking on US civilian gun sales; and the home office going OMG!!  JUST LOOK AT THIS SHIT!!!  THIS IS AN OUTRAGE!   And here we are.  It's not a good look for FN.  It makes them look petty, and at the same time desperate as their 2024 US sales market is tough, and they have got to be pretty much in the toilet by now.   As it is with many; and they ain't cheap, and their differentiators no longer are that differentiating.  And PSA now has their own hammer-forge up and running.

In fact, let's go look.  Let's go to Ruger.com.  And look at that - right there on the bottom of their homepage: Careers!  Companies that look to hire, tend to be companies doing OK.
And now lets go to FNFirearmsUSA website.  And we see...  well.   Um.. there's an About US page, so we'll go to that.  And...   andd... nope, no Career's page.  

And now the pieces are starting to come together.  This is not a good look FN.  On the plus side, looks like Ruger has multiple locations, including one not so far away from SC, in Maydan NC.  And looks like they have 9 positions to fill.  So there's that.  
View Quote

Truth. The US consumer has spoken and he wants cheap McGuns in quantity and doesn’t care about battle-tested, reliable European battle rifles. They are a niche market for wealthy gamers and discerning shooters who demand the best.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 7:46:33 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

HK didn't make a straight blowback .22, GSG did. HK sued GSG, HK made a straight blowback .22 for a higher price.
View Quote

The crux of the suit was GSG making a gun that looked as close as possible to an iconic HK weapon.  That is not whats going on with FN/Ruger.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 8:13:37 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Truth. The US consumer has spoken and he wants cheap McGuns in quantity and doesn’t care about battle-tested reliability. Reliable European battle rifles are a niche market.
View Quote

Not entirely. The available variety of weapons was curtailed significantly by Bush 1, which is why there was so much cool shit around in the 80's that many of us were born too late to get our hands on. The AR-15 has evolved tremendously post-2004 since the expiry of the AWB; even weapons and shooting techniques used by the military have taken much of their development from innovation in the civilian American firearms market since that time.

Because we can't get the rifles, the development of and aftermarket for those euro guns has languished. There's less of them available and less of a market for the parts to help manufacturers amortize the development and production costs.

We've had attempts like the Sig 556, but that was both not authentic enough for the true 55X crowd, and too expensive for the doesn't want to spend money on niche guns crowd. The authentic ones basically have to be rebuilt after import by small shops and are hard to find, pretty expensive, and often have long wait times.

Sure the SCAR is produced domestically, but the price is ridiculous for what you get, and you can't even suppress it without voiding the warranty-which is completely retarded for a piston gun.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 9:08:22 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

It was posted before you said it wasn't.  Multiple times.  FFS.  Why is accountability so difficult for you?  Would it have been that difficult to say "Oh shoot, I was wrong.  I missed all of those posts" ?

Quoted:It would appear FN is using a 3rd party law firm to do the suit - vs in-house corporate lawyer team.  

I don't know of a single corporate in-house team that litigates its own cases.  Source - I'm a corporate attorney and have managed outside counsel (including for claims in Federal Court) for over a decade.

Quoted:The complaints are so over-stated it's just hard to even read.  The included photographic evidence is a SHOT show pamphlet they didn't even bother spreading atop a scanner to get the creases out of, and a photo of the display screen of the Ruger Booth at the shot-show that has all the appearance of a hasty cell-phone grab.   Niiice.  very nice.  

Agree that this is not a good look.  But the idea that the litigation is in reaction/related to FN's (perceived at least) performance is laughable.  IP attorneys and corporate litigators don't work on retainer, so if they don't win (which their attorneys have undoubtedly told them that it is at least a possibility), they risk the very real possibility that they have hundreds of thousands to millions of dollars in IP attorneys/litigators fees at risk.  

Quoted:In fact, let's go look.  Let's go to Ruger.com.  And look at that - right there on the bottom of their homepage: Careers!  Companies that look to hire, tend to be companies doing OK.

And now the pieces are starting to come together.  

Lol.  Not only are you wrong:  FN's Domestic Careers, but even if you were right about the careers . . . it takes a wild leap in logic to say that a foreign company's hiring practices compared to a domestic company's hiring practices is a reliable indicator of the companies' relative financial strength.  

Quoted:This is not a good look FN.  

We at least agree on this.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 9:51:11 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Lol.  Not only are you wrong:  FN's Domestic Careers, but even if you were right about the careers . . . it takes a wild leap in logic to say that a foreign company's hiring practices compared to a domestic company's hiring practices is a reliable indicator of the companies' relative financial strength.  

View Quote

Career listings on websites are not a good indication anymore.  Companies caught on and have been gaming that system.  It has become common practice for companies to always have listings up, even though they are not hiring.  They do it to give the impression that they are constantly growing and doing well.

And now you have tens of thousands of fake job listings on websites like linkdin, wasting peoples' time who are actually looking for work.  And on top of that, biden's labor department uses these fake job listings to say the economy is doing great and he's creating jobs.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top