Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 6/12/2013 7:43:36 AM EDT
I have a 7 mo old grandson, his parents have a 100lb American Bulldog 5 yrs old male family pet, no signs of aggression shown towards the child until this weekend, the kid has recently become mobile  (started crawling) he of course crawls toward the dog, at first the dog growled, and he was corrected by the owner, but yesterday he growls and snaps at the kid....
I say the dog has to go, no choice, the parents want to keep him kenneled and supervised more closely and "see what happens"

I don't trust any dog breeds around children unsupervised, but especially these large breeds... if he attacked me I couldn't stop him....
I know more people get bit by dachsunds, but I can throw them against the wall...
Sucks to lose a pet, but wait and see isn't an option in my opinion.

If It was my dog, he would be buried in the woods already...
Link Posted: 6/12/2013 7:45:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/12/2013 7:47:14 AM EDT
[#2]
The rifle stock in your Avatar is badass.
Link Posted: 6/12/2013 7:47:36 AM EDT
[#3]
My cousins daughter was attacked in the face by her family black lab at the age of 2...permanently scarred for life....Dog showed early signs of aggression just like this one.
The parents are crazy and insane to see what happens....personally I would call CPS on them if I know what you know...the dog needs to be given to a shelter and told that the dog does not like kids...this is a DISASTER waiting to happen.
Link Posted: 6/12/2013 7:48:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Every dog out there is the sweetest most gentle creature UNTIL that moment when it isn't.  Previous track records are jack shit...anything can happen.

We made sure to get a dog small enough that my son could handle if it came down to it.  She's very submissive, and will always run than fight...plus she's 26lbs...and my son is more than double her weight.  

Perhaps a couple of years from now, we'll get a larger dog.
Link Posted: 6/12/2013 7:48:23 AM EDT
[#5]
I wouldn't kill him, but I would be looking to home him with a couple without kids. Some dogs are jealous other not so much. My dogs embraced my son and protected him like he was a member of their pack.
Link Posted: 6/12/2013 7:48:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Time for a new home for the dog.
Link Posted: 6/12/2013 7:49:25 AM EDT
[#7]
It sucks to say it but that dog has to go if it were my kid.
Link Posted: 6/12/2013 7:52:05 AM EDT
[#8]
I don't trust any dog breeds around children unsupervised

Good deal.Many folks think its OK to leave kids alone with any dog.

The dog simply needs another home.

Link Posted: 6/12/2013 7:54:43 AM EDT
[#9]
Some pets just don't react well to children.  Find him a new home without them, and everyone will be happier, including the dog.
Link Posted: 6/12/2013 7:56:58 AM EDT
[#10]
Dog has to go. The parents will not change his behavior to your gradson. I have gotten rid of 2 dogs for this very reason.

One was a Great Dane mix and about a year old. The second was a pitbull mix and about 2 years old.

I did not hesitaate in getting rid of them that day.
Link Posted: 6/12/2013 7:58:12 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I wouldn't kill him, but I would be looking to home him with a couple without kids. Some dogs are jealous other not so much. My dogs embraced my son and protected him like he was a member of their pack.

I will not speculate about the reasons but I 100% agree the dog has to go . Not sometime when a home can be found but right now. Too much at risk.

My parents had a boxer and a beautiful Doberman . My sister was 11 months ahead of me and apparently some warning sign appeared . we were raised with the boxer . We were pretty hard on her but the only time she ever got nasty was when someone strange came to the door

Link Posted: 6/12/2013 7:58:28 AM EDT
[#12]
Kids >Dog.

The dog needs to go. And, by "go" I mean approximately 3-4 feet underground...
Link Posted: 6/12/2013 7:58:35 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I say the dog has to go, no choice, the parents want to keep him kenneled and supervised more closely and "see what happens"

"What happens" might have horrible consequences for your grandchild.

It's a no-brainer, and you couldn't be more right.  The dog has to go.  Press the issue for the sake of all involved - even the dog.
Link Posted: 6/12/2013 7:58:54 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 6/12/2013 7:59:02 AM EDT
[#15]
Find a new childless family for the dog.

I don't think killing a good dog over this is necessary, just remove him from children.

But I like dogs more than humans so................
Link Posted: 6/12/2013 7:59:37 AM EDT
[#16]
Shit dog owners not setting proper social skills with said future child muncher.
Link Posted: 6/12/2013 8:01:19 AM EDT
[#17]
Yes this is a terrible situation, I guess you gotta do what you gotta do...put the kid up for adoption.
Link Posted: 6/12/2013 8:01:43 AM EDT
[#18]
Keep on badgering the parents until they do something about the dog. Whatever it takes....you'll regret for the rest of your life if something were to happen.
Link Posted: 6/12/2013 8:02:03 AM EDT
[#19]
Sad thing. My 135lb AB and 200+lb mastiff watch my young kids like a hawk. I would trust both dogs with the kids over a babysitter. Sorry OP.
Link Posted: 6/12/2013 8:07:28 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 6/12/2013 8:08:54 AM EDT
[#21]
Some dogs just don't like kids and it's not anybody's fault.  My little italian greyhound attacked my 3 y/o nephew because the kid was treating him rough.  It wasn't a Cujo style mauling, just a mild bite to let the kid know he went too far.  No harm, just a scared kid.  

Did I shoot my 9lb greyhound in the face for it?  Nah.  I don't have kids so she isn't used to them, I just don't bring her over any more.

Now my brother did have a German Sheppard (adopted adult) that snapped at the kid and they got rid of the dog ASAP.

Link Posted: 6/12/2013 8:10:52 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Shit dog owners not setting proper social skills with said future child muncher.

Even worse is that this particular dog is giving you all the warning signs for FREE.  Some owners never see the warning signs because they never look for them.
Link Posted: 6/12/2013 8:11:35 AM EDT
[#23]
I have two American Bulldogs..And they would have to go if they ever growled or snapped at a child.
Link Posted: 6/12/2013 8:12:00 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 6/12/2013 8:14:53 AM EDT
[#25]
The dog should be gone, no question. "See what happens"? They may not get over what they "see" someday.
People in simpler times had simpler solutions. No reason to over-think it.
Link Posted: 6/12/2013 8:17:47 AM EDT
[#26]
Idiot dog owners. Changed the living conditions on the dog. Not the dogs fault. Keep your kids away from animals while they are small. The safest thing may be to relocate the dog. Talking about killing your pet because you changed the conditions just shows what assholes you are.
Link Posted: 6/12/2013 8:18:20 AM EDT
[#27]
Dog needs  a new home.

We got a puppy to raise with our son. Worked out well. He knew his lot in life from the get go.

My in law's pekingese once barked at my son, my MIL bitch slapped her. Now she goes no where near my son
Link Posted: 6/12/2013 8:21:10 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Kids >Dog.

Oh for fuck's sake, some of you just look for reasons to kill anything. Dog needs a new home without children, problem solved Billy Badass,
Link Posted: 6/12/2013 8:21:56 AM EDT
[#29]
Dog would be DRT.  I got bit when I was four by a dog.  Never saw his ass again.  I assumed that dad and grandpa took him out to our ranch and blasted his ass.
Link Posted: 6/12/2013 8:24:49 AM EDT
[#30]
Nobody loves dogs more than I do but that dog has to go.

Not suggesting it be killed, but it needs to be rehomed.  If the parents were skilled dog trainers, I might say otherwise.

But of course, if they knew what they were doing, they'd've taken more care than you indicate to introduce their mobile kid to their dog and vice versa.
Link Posted: 6/12/2013 8:26:11 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 6/12/2013 8:29:59 AM EDT
[#32]
Dog needs to go to a home without kids. Now.
Link Posted: 6/12/2013 8:30:14 AM EDT
[#33]
Says something about the problem solving skills for those of you that think making the dog take a dirt nap is the way to go. Plenty of rescues out there for just this situation.
Link Posted: 6/12/2013 8:32:21 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Kids >Dog.

Not! It is a popular breed and would be quickly adopted if given to a shelter or a breed rescue with a warning about kids.

Something to consider: I have two big black dogs that are wonderful around kids, they let their ears, tails, whatever be pulled. Very mellow beasts. If dogs that show any aggression are all put down, will we be breeding very meek canines?
My family used to have a dog that was wonderful around the family, really thought its job was to protect the kids. But would growl and snap at neighbors who came too close to my brothers and sisters.
Should this dog be put down too?

Link Posted: 6/12/2013 8:38:54 AM EDT
[#35]
Once People who can't understand dogs shouldn't be allowed to own them. They are NOT fashion accessories. Wish I new more... what was the child doing prior to the snap? Might just be typical "leave me alone" behavior, if the kid was crawling at or on the dog. Once had a Timbersheppard (wolf/german sheppard) owned by an uncle who would growl or snap at me to keep me in line. Never hurt me, though... he woulda died for me. He just knew how to keep my rambunctious self in check. Just have to understand them. Had a Spitz who would take your hand in his mouth and lead you where he wanted you to go. Sometimes he'd apply a little pressure if you weren't taking his directions seriously enough. Different forms of communication.

Mean/ bad dogs almost always = suck owners.
Link Posted: 6/12/2013 8:44:58 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 6/12/2013 8:45:17 AM EDT
[#37]
FPNI

again.
Link Posted: 6/12/2013 8:45:19 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Once People who can't understand dogs shouldn't be allowed to own them. They are NOT fashion accessories. Wish I new more... what was the child doing prior to the snap? Might just be typical "leave me alone" behavior, if the kid was crawling at or on the dog. Once had a Timbersheppard (wolf/german sheppard) owned by an uncle who would growl or snap at me to keep me in line. Never hurt me, though... he woulda died for me. He just knew how to keep my rambunctious self in check. Just have to understand them. Had a Spitz who would take your hand in his mouth and lead you where he wanted you to go. Sometimes he'd apply a little pressure if you weren't taking his directions seriously enough. Different forms of communication.

Mean/ bad dogs almost always = suck owners.

Great post! We used to have an Australian shepherd that loved to herd kids. And if you were moving slow on a hike, it would lightly nip you, no blood. It looks like about half of ARFKOM would have shot it on the spot.
It was just doing it job. It would also run ahead and run behind checking for predators.
We called it the "God Dog" because no other dog we ever had was as good.

Link Posted: 6/12/2013 8:48:04 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 6/12/2013 8:48:41 AM EDT
[#40]
Dog definitely needs to go one way or another...

I've had my American Bulldog for 5 years now and my Son turned 4 in April and since my Son was born the dog has had a very healthy respect for my Son's space and safety.  I think he understands that he only gets one chance.

I just know in my house if my dog growled or snapped at my Son he'd be gone by the next day at latest.  I love my dog and he does a very good job with protecting my house and my family but this is something you just don't get second chances on.
Link Posted: 6/12/2013 8:49:00 AM EDT
[#41]
dog needs to be gone, yesterday.

Link Posted: 6/12/2013 8:49:21 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm all for giving dogs another chance and to some degree of benefit of the doubt. Having said that, not all homes are right for all dogs. And a 100 pound bulldog growling at a seven month old should probably be adopted into a home without small children.
Link Posted: 6/12/2013 8:50:45 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why the face?
You think the bulldog should stay?
Link Posted: 6/12/2013 8:53:54 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

This, Do it fast before there is a catastrophe!
Link Posted: 6/12/2013 8:55:11 AM EDT
[#45]
I agree with you, OP!

Similar situation happened to me but in reverse. Father-in-laws dog snapped at my son when he was learning to walk (around 1 years old). I saw it, got up a started beating the dog (all I saw was red). Father-in-law then started yelling at me for beating his dog because it snapped in my sons face (his Grandson BTW!) but didn't actually bite him. Words were exchanged and I proceeded to tell him that that he should have pushed me out of the way so that HE could beat his own dog. He proceeded to console the dog and tell her that everything is OK. I got the fuck out. I actually have a good relationship with my in-laws but this was, and remains, a big scar to this day. Good luck!
Link Posted: 6/12/2013 8:58:47 AM EDT
[#46]
It's really comforting to see the usual cadre of GD retards insisting that because the dog is acting like a dog it must be killed with extreme prejudice.

OP, doggy needs to go to a home with no small children.  There are rescue organizations for exactly this purpose.  The parents shouldn't feel bad for having to do it, it's not like they're saying "we just don't want the dog anymore", and the rescue organizations will respect their reasons.

The consequences of trying to stick it out are too great to take the risk.

And I am an owner of two ABD/APBT mix dogs.  I know their capabilities and I have one that I for sure would not let around a small child because he's just that kind of dog.
Link Posted: 6/12/2013 9:02:03 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I have a 7 mo old grandson, his parents have a 100lb American Bulldog 5 yrs old male family pet, no signs of aggression shown towards the child until this weekend, the kid has recently become mobile  (started crawling) he of course crawls toward the dog, at first the dog growled, and he was corrected by the owner, but yesterday he growls and snaps at the kid....
I don't trust any dog breeds around children unsupervised, but especially these large breeds... if he attacked me I couldn't stop him....
I know more people get bit by dachsunds, but I can throw them against the wall...

WTF is that.....do they want to see Marlin Perkin's "Wild Kingdom" acted out in their living room????

Tell those idiots to get rid of the dog or put the kid up for adoption.....they don't know how to be parents yet.
Link Posted: 6/12/2013 9:03:11 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm all for giving dogs another chance and to some degree of benefit of the doubt. Having said that, not all homes are right for all dogs. And a 100 pound bulldog growling at a seven month old should probably be adopted into a home without small children.

Good point. Some dogs understand their place in the pack and only need to be reminded once that the kid is above them. Some dogs are constantly trying to assert dominance. I know one woman who lost that battle and the family dogs would dominate her. Very wimpy woman.

Link Posted: 6/12/2013 9:04:32 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I would not bury him in the woods, but I'd find him another home.
Link Posted: 6/12/2013 9:09:58 AM EDT
[#50]
Owners need to put him in serious check... like flip him over hold him by the neck and type check when that happens.

Probably best to find the dog a new home, one without kids or with older kids though.  No need to take the dag into the woods.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top