Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/19/2020 9:59:42 AM EDT
Took a class with John Murphy this weekend in Morristown, MN.
Noticed that my first shot times weren't as fast as others.  I can certainly work on my draw (OWB, 3 Oclock, button up shirt) more and could reduce my times, but noticed others carrying differently were much faster.

What's your fastest draw position?  OWB, IWB, AIWB?
Link Posted: 8/19/2020 10:01:20 AM EDT
[#1]
I just walk around with it in my hand at low ready.
Link Posted: 8/19/2020 10:02:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
It's really the only way to go.

Link Posted: 8/19/2020 10:03:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View Quote

I bet that's way faster than any option OP listed.
Link Posted: 8/19/2020 10:04:11 AM EDT
[#4]
OWB with minimal concealment is going to be faster than IWB

The guns simply easier to get to
Link Posted: 8/19/2020 10:04:31 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm carrying just a little too much paunch for AIWB, so I carry IWB at 3 o'clock. Haven't checked times between that and OWB yet.

I did see a video with a guy who timed himself, and was faster AIWB. What I don't get, is he is MUCH fatter than me.
Link Posted: 8/19/2020 10:05:59 AM EDT
[#6]
IWB/OWB with a button down shirt covering the gun

I won't carry AIWB (uncomfortable).
Link Posted: 8/19/2020 10:06:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

Agreed. I primarily AIWB carry now but OWB with minimal concealment would be a smidgen faster.
Link Posted: 8/19/2020 10:06:18 AM EDT
[#8]
A then E
Link Posted: 8/19/2020 10:07:12 AM EDT
[#9]
However that one bad guy from Miami Vice does it.
Link Posted: 8/19/2020 10:08:08 AM EDT
[#10]
I carry IWB at 3-4 o'clock and can draw and fire 1 round on target under 2 seconds.  I know that's not screaming fast but it's acceptable to me.  AIWB is likely the fastest method, but I'm too fat for that shit.
Link Posted: 8/19/2020 10:10:11 AM EDT
[#11]
only way i carry concealed is IWB 9ish o clock.

My with the RMR im a little slower at 1.1/2 7 yards anywhere on a full size ipsc target, 1.5/7 for a shot that hits A/C zone.
Link Posted: 8/19/2020 10:11:10 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
However that one bad guy from Miami Vice does it.
View Quote

I was gonna say this too.
Link Posted: 8/19/2020 10:11:12 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I carry IWB at 3-4 o'clock and can draw and fire 1 round on target under 2 seconds.  I know that's not screaming fast but it's acceptable to me.  AIWB is likely the fastest method, but I'm too fat for that shit.
View Quote
There were multiple people putting rounds on target at 5 yards in under 1 second.  They were all carrying AIWB.

Link Posted: 8/19/2020 10:12:20 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
There were multiple people putting rounds on target at 5 yards in under 1 second.  They were all carrying AIWB.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I believe it.  It's simply the least amount of movement required to clear the cover garment and draw.
Link Posted: 8/19/2020 10:17:07 AM EDT
[#15]
This is pretty quick.

Link Posted: 8/19/2020 10:18:04 AM EDT
[#16]
I carry IWB @ 2 O'clock
I am retired so always wear a T-shirt or sometimes a dress T-shirt

From a dead start I can draw and fire 2 rounds at one target shift and fire 2 in a second target in 2 seconds flat on an average day

I may not be as fast as some but I don't have to beat a real gunfighter.

I only have to contend with criminal punks who likely are not as well trained

I pay careful attention to my surroundings even when I am home. When out say shopping I scan the parking lot, pick my course based on safety.
I am looking to avoid a fight

The only gun fight you truly win is the one you avoid
Link Posted: 8/19/2020 10:18:11 AM EDT
[#17]
two types of athletes

one waits for the whistle to blow and then they take off

the other takes off at the first sound of something sounding like a whistle (this type gets penalties and wins)
Link Posted: 8/19/2020 10:19:06 AM EDT
[#18]
About a minute in for both vids.  

Miami Vice Jim Zubiena Mozambique drill scene

Collateral - Tactical Draw Hip Shot [HD]
Link Posted: 8/19/2020 10:19:59 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

That's how I carry. I could give two shits if someone sees the bulge.
Link Posted: 8/19/2020 10:23:48 AM EDT
[#20]
I practice AIWB. I much prefer carrying and drawing from this position.
Link Posted: 8/19/2020 10:25:12 AM EDT
[#21]
Just carry it in a paper bag like a beer
Link Posted: 8/19/2020 10:29:36 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

Exactly - there's a big difference between IDPA "concealment" and what most would consider functional day-to-day clothing that conceals your gun and holster.

IDPA friends would routinely do just under 1 second to a shot on target from OWB covered by an open vest.  "Good" for me from IWB under actual clothing -that was presentable and did conceal the gun- would be double that.

Link Posted: 8/19/2020 10:39:58 AM EDT
[#23]
I am an AIWB convert. Glock 43 hides and carries very well. I always wear a loose t-shirt or casual button down shirt and the draw is very quick for me. What I really like about this carry location is that I can casually have my hand in my front pocket, placing it very close to the pistol without being obvious.
Link Posted: 8/19/2020 10:44:54 AM EDT
[#24]
I've always wanted to give AIWB a try. It seems like it would conceal better and be quicker. I like carrying my IWB closer to 2:30 than 3, but it sucks sitting in a car and I can't help but wonder if AIWB would be even worse.
Link Posted: 8/19/2020 10:46:37 AM EDT
[#25]
I will carry IWB or OWB always about 3:00-4:00. Sometimes the piece is under a Tee shirt, more often OWB using a Tee shirt with an open button up shirt that is easily swept out of the way on the draw. Sweeping the shirt out of the way is faster, deeper cover is slower of course.
Link Posted: 8/19/2020 10:47:59 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I've always wanted to give AIWB a try. It seems like it would conceal better and be quicker. I like carrying my IWB closer to 2:30 than 3, but it sucks sitting in a car and I can't help but wonder if AIWB would be even worse.
View Quote

Aiwb is best carry.

As long as you’re relatively thin in the gut, it’s the best option around.
Link Posted: 8/19/2020 10:48:56 AM EDT
[#27]
AIWB
Link Posted: 8/19/2020 10:54:46 AM EDT
[#28]
Pretty sure the fastest 1st shot you can have is from your coat pocket or a purse.
Link Posted: 8/19/2020 10:55:32 AM EDT
[#29]
I don’t worry about it one bit. Carrying for defense is an action of opportunity.
It’s not a fast draw contest. It could be, but 87% of the time the bad guy absolutely has the advantage on you to the point..you will Most likely not win.

IMO..training for every interaction to be a Fast draw contest is an excellent way of getting shot. Rushing head long into Telegraphing Your intentions.
Maybe take that second or two and access the situation or move into a better, safer position.

No one has a crystal ball on the circumstances that will befall them. Train for both. Smooth, consistent draws and situational awareness. Don’t worry about that extra couple of seconds. Just use them wisely.
Link Posted: 8/19/2020 10:58:28 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

Piker! I continuously sweep everything with my finger on the trigger
Link Posted: 8/19/2020 10:59:53 AM EDT
[#31]
I can pull from AIWB in about 1.5 seconds.

Dont really care if it is stupid fast as I am sure I will never need to pull it that quick. If I have a gun pointed at me, I will have to asses accordingly

even at 2 seconds, a normal person should be OK.
Link Posted: 8/19/2020 11:02:19 AM EDT
[#32]
I guess it depends. Do I have time to make dramatic eye contact with my target and flip my jacket back behind my Colt SAA to acknowledge what’s coming?

Jokes aside with my carrying a SAA, I’m going to try to make time to do some drills with a timer before long. I’m pretty fast but I’d have a hard time putting a speculative number to it. That’s OWB strongside with loose shirt or jacket over it typically if I’m concealing. A real eye opener is doing drills with pocket guns. You realize what a shit show it is trying to draw from even a good pocket holster and it’s really funny seeing folks do it and they draw their shitty holster with the gun and panic trying to rip the holster off after already bringing their gun to bear on target.
Link Posted: 8/19/2020 11:05:01 AM EDT
[#33]
IWB/OWB  positioned from 12:00- 2:00(I'm  lefty)depending. I did 13 years with IWB 12:00, but the last 3 years have been OWB 2:00( crossdraw-ish) because printing is no longer a concern in TX or my job.

It's the only way I have ever carried, anything on the side of the body or toward the rear is out of the question because one cannot move freely/naturally without the butt printing or being exposed and vulnerable without my knowledge.
T-shirt cover.

I have done Collateral drills in 2 seconds.
Link Posted: 8/19/2020 11:09:27 AM EDT
[#34]
AIWB = you'll shoot yer dick off
Link Posted: 8/19/2020 11:12:50 AM EDT
[#35]
@JamiesGotAGun was that a QSI class?

I've been considering taking one, would you recommend it?
Link Posted: 8/19/2020 11:14:27 AM EDT
[#36]
AIWB is scary fast. I shot our qual for my backup gun and surprised myself.
Link Posted: 8/19/2020 11:16:23 AM EDT
[#37]
Pocket Carry with my hand in my pocket on the grip
Link Posted: 8/19/2020 11:17:53 AM EDT
[#38]
Apendix is fastest for me. The hands are just naturally closer.
Link Posted: 8/19/2020 11:18:47 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Change out your pistol for a rifle and you may survive.
Link Posted: 8/19/2020 11:20:52 AM EDT
[#40]
I can pull about 1.4 from AIWB
Link Posted: 8/19/2020 11:22:19 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
@JamiesGotAGun was that a QSI class?

I've been considering taking one, would you recommend it?
View Quote
@Real_PhillBert

No, this was an FPF class.  John Murphy is a traveling instructor originally from Virginia.
That being said, QSI is a company I've trained with.  Erik runs the show there and they put on great classes in numerous arenas.

If you're looking for a pistol class, I also teach intro, advanced and MAG20 (Massad Ayoob 2 Day Course) in MN as well.
I will also travel if you can put together a group.  PM me if you're interested.

Link Posted: 8/19/2020 11:25:02 AM EDT
[#42]
For real concealment and not IDPA fishing vest concealment then AIWB is going to be noticeably faster than any other carry if you practice at all.

AIWB is not the life for me though. It's uncomfortable as fuck for me.

So I'm a 3 o'clock IWB guy like God and Col. Cooper intended. It's slower than AIWB but it's comfortable enough that I'm never tempted to leave the gun at home.

For concealed draw times I want a 7 yard A zone hit in 1.5 seconds. Anything under two seconds I think is a reasonable standard for most normal people that are not going to spend a bunch of time practicing.

AIWB guys that practice can do sub second draws pretty easy. They are not seeing shit when they do it, it's all index but practice enough and the hits will be good enough for the gram.
Link Posted: 8/19/2020 11:26:53 AM EDT
[#43]
Who posted the "Gunfighter Challenge" thread a few years back?

From concealment, 7 yards, 8" target.  2 shots, first shot in 1.5 sec., <2sec. total.

SIG P320C 9mm, OWB @ 4:00 with unbuttoned shirt covering.

Tactical flip-flops FTW!
Link Posted: 8/19/2020 11:28:25 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I don’t worry about it one bit. Carrying for defense is an action of opportunity.
It’s not a fast draw contest. It could be, but 87% of the time the bad guy absolutely has the advantage on you to the point..you will Most likely not win.

IMO..training for every interaction to be a Fast draw contest is an excellent way of getting shot. Rushing head long into Telegraphing Your intentions.
Maybe take that second or two and access the situation or move into a better, safer position.

No one has a crystal ball on the circumstances that will befall them. Train for both. Smooth, consistent draws and situational awareness. Don’t worry about that extra couple of seconds. Just use them wisely.
View Quote

Truth, and well said. There's a reason so many ranges ban shooting from draw, and that's without the adrenaline.
Link Posted: 8/19/2020 11:29:16 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 8/19/2020 11:30:13 AM EDT
[#46]
I typically carry IWB 4:00 positions

....but this is faster

38 snubbie front pocket nemesis holster

less than one second,....five times in a row

S&W 642 draw sub one seconds, five in a row on steel
Link Posted: 8/19/2020 11:30:33 AM EDT
[#47]
Retention Shooting | Private Class with Craig Douglas

index off your pecs instead of using your sights (for close range stuff) for more speed
Link Posted: 8/19/2020 11:34:48 AM EDT
[#48]
Fastest is AIWB but I cannot conceal at all. I'm exactly where I should be weight wise but I look like I have a comical pot belly with every holster I've tried.
Link Posted: 8/19/2020 11:36:40 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Fastest is AIWB but I cannot conceal at all. I'm exactly where I should be weight wise but I look like I have a comical pot belly with every holster I've tried.
View Quote

even ones with concealment claws?

the thickness of the belt clip can also add to it, look for ones with DCC clips like this

Link Posted: 8/19/2020 11:43:12 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

the thickness of the belt clip can also add to it, look for ones with DCC clips like this

https://i.imgur.com/ivMvJZ6.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://i.imgur.com/ivMvJZ6.jpg

The best ones I've tried so far are the incog and a JM custom but both still look ridiculous with a shirt over top. I'll have to try that style out.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top