Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 10:00:10 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 10:00:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Ironically schedule 2, which means the feds think it is less bad for you than pot.....

Edit.  Cancer patients seem to think pot helps their situation....so same use as fentanyl (reduces suffering)
View Quote
<Donald Trump>  WRONG !!!  <Donald Trump>
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 10:01:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I've had patients in the hospital chew their patches.

We usually find the masticated remains in their mouth when we are intubating them during the code
View Quote
A late-coming trend to us locally is dumbasses who cut up used fent patches to roll them in a joint and smoke them.

Smoking an unknown dose of fent is weapons-grade stupidity.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 10:02:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Not bullshit. Several times within the past few years I've been given news that people I knew growing up fatally od'd on heroin/opiates. These were suburban kids from normal upper/middle-class families. That shit is everywhere now.
View Quote
I had a friend who was a cop (really good one) and got injured and got into a bad pain management situation. He finally got so tired and beat down by the pain he got ahold of a patch and chewed it. Killed him. He has been gone for three years now.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 10:05:22 AM EDT
[#5]
A Pilot can't afford good quality Heroin?

You'd think somebody with a degree would know better than to fuck with a drug that has such a ludicrously low therapeutic index? Especially one with a good job, a wife, and two kids.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 10:15:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
It's all over the place.

Portsmouth/Scioto County is supposed to have the worst problem in the state with it, but it's plenty bad all over.

Some morons my brother went to school with got some Heron laced with  from a guy in Toledo. Every single one of them OD'd on the street in front of the place. A couple of them nearly couldn't be revived.

You know where they wanted to go the very next day? Yep. To get the same shit. They're all lucky to be alive. Probably won't be for much longer.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Damn, this happened right up the road from me. I thought Chillicothe was supposed to be the bad area? Centerville is actually a nice area. Just ate some City BBQ there last weekend.
It's all over the place.

Portsmouth/Scioto County is supposed to have the worst problem in the state with it, but it's plenty bad all over.

Some morons my brother went to school with got some Heron laced with  from a guy in Toledo. Every single one of them OD'd on the street in front of the place. A couple of them nearly couldn't be revived.

You know where they wanted to go the very next day? Yep. To get the same shit. They're all lucky to be alive. Probably won't be for much longer.
This is exactly what I'm talking about idiots like this that give drugs that benfit people a bad name. They get fentanyl
Off the street and OD on it now all of a sudden it a bad drug and needs to be taken off the market or regulated even more. When what they got came off the street and from Mexico.

Oh and don't forget that people that also use to get their meds legally from doctors but can't now, or can't get them filled. Have actually turn to heroine because it's cheaper than buying opiates on the street.

Then what happens people that need these meds can't get them and because of their pain turn to illegal means. They end up getting these bad drugs off the street and OD ing or dieing. Because of over regulation of the medications they USE TO be able to get from their doctors and filled by pharmacies.

Then the process starts over again. Because these idiots that want to regulate medical drugs say opiates are killing people. Yeah because they have to buy them off the street now.

The government is creating this problem by over regulation of doctors and pharmacies. They are afraid to write scrips and fill them.  Years ago I almost could not get a scrip for pain meds fill before I had surgery. That is stupid. The only reason I got them filled is after he discovered I was a firefighter having surgery.

I just love these studies people post also about how this university did this study or this Institute did that study about how non opiate what ever worked better. Because it stimulated the same area of the brain that sex does Yeahhhhh rightttttt. What bull shit.  I'm telling you right now.

Unless you've experienced real pain so bad that you'd do anything to make it stop. You have no idea what I'm talking about. It will play on your mind like nothing you've never experienced. I'm not talking about pain for a few hours or few days. I'm talking about a week or longer.  You will be begging for something.

How many people here have had kidney stones. That will bring you to your knees but they will pass
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 10:20:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Jacob Castor, the former husband of Courtney Halye, died in Aug. 2007 from an accident drug overdose, according to the Montgomery County Coroner’s Office.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 10:27:18 AM EDT
[#8]
I for the life of me can not understand why even someone would *try* to experiment with opioids. I'm sure it feels fucking damn good, but there's never a happy ending for anyone who gets started on it. 

I've had a bulging disc, too one percocet and that one pill was enough for me to never take one again and just suck the pain up with Neproxen. 
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 10:30:55 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 10:41:49 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Hell... they demand their AMA forms within minutes of receiving Narcan in the ER.  

When I point out that Narcan only has a half-life of about 90 minutes (best case), and that they're likely to stop breathing again if they shot up a longer-acting opiate, they don't care.

They give zero f*cks... so I don't know why I should be expected to give any
View Quote
I don't, mostly. The people I was talking about are first class dregs of society. They are nothing but a problem, in several ways. Society would be better off without them.

In this case, I DO feel for the kids. Is HAS to fuck with your head, when you have to assume your parents love the drugs more than they love you.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 10:49:41 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

This is exactly what I'm talking about idiots like this that give drugs that benfit people a bad name. They get fentanyl
Off the street and OD on it now all of a sudden it a bad drug and needs to be taken off the market or regulated even more. When what they got came off the street and from Mexico.

Oh and don't forget that people that also use to get their meds legally from doctors but can't now, or can't get them filled. Have actually turn to heroine because it's cheaper than buying opiates on the street.

Then what happens people that need these meds can't get them and because of their pain turn to illegal means. They end up getting these bad drugs off the street and OD ing or dieing. Because of over regulation of the medications they USE TO be able to get from their doctors and filled by pharmacies.

Then the process starts over again. Because these idiots that want to regulate medical drugs say opiates are killing people. Yeah because they have to buy them off the street now.

The government is creating this problem by over regulation of doctors and pharmacies. They are afraid to write scrips and fill them.  Years ago I almost could not get a scrip for pain meds fill before I had surgery. That is stupid. The only reason I got them filled is after he discovered I was a firefighter having surgery.

I just love these studies people post also about how this university did this study or this Institute did that study about how non opiate what ever worked better. Because it stimulated the same area of the brain that sex does Yeahhhhh rightttttt. What bull shit.  I'm telling you right now.

Unless you've experienced real pain so bad that you'd do anything to make it stop. You have no idea what I'm talking about. It will play on your mind like nothing you've never experienced. I'm not talking about pain for a few hours or few days. I'm talking about a week or longer.  You will be begging for something.

How many people here have had kidney stones. That will bring you to your knees but they will pass
View Quote
Not in my mind. I know there's perfectly good legitimate uses for these drugs. I'm not about to raise hell over some junkies.

I kinda wish they'd have let these assholes go, instead of reviving them, though. None of them hold down a job, the one guy's GF is on disability or something, and they pretty much steal and swindle to score their drugs.

Society would be better off without these assholes, who are only a drain on society.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 10:52:09 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Used for what it is intended it is a good thing...used for recreation it is an extremely bad thing.
View Quote
True for so many things... 
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 10:57:14 AM EDT
[#13]
feel for the kids... but glad it happened on the floor of their bedroom than at 30K feet with cabin full of innocent people
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 10:59:12 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Did he have a prescription? Why were they both using it?
View Quote
I don't see anyway you are keeping your commercial certification and a fentanyl prescription.
Prescription is for Cancer or extremely grave CNS pain.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 11:01:37 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 11:15:47 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Ironically schedule 2, which means the feds think it is less bad for you than pot.....

Edit.  Cancer patients seem to think pot helps their situation....so same use as fentanyl (reduces suffering)
View Quote
Looks like it's time, again, to post this helpful tutorial for the weedheads

Drugs schedules explained.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 11:20:28 AM EDT
[#17]
Patches are dangerous as hell.  I've worked two child deaths (6 and 4) where the kids found a patch in the trash and put it on their arm "just like grandma does".  The ME has told me that some of the patches have enough left after use to kill an adult that is not used to them.

I firmly believe they kill the elderly because they already have one patch on, forget that they do and put on another.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 11:29:25 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Sounds like they were both doing heroin since they said they found "paraphernalia". Likely the heroin was laced with fentanyl
View Quote
Yep it's happening all over.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 11:31:05 AM EDT
[#19]
I wish I could somehow come up with some empathy for the people in these self-created situations, but... I just can't.

One way or another, unless someone forces you to do it at gunpoint, every addict made a choice, somewhere along the line, to take that drug. You can't be made a slave to the chemical unless you let it into your life in the first place, and I've never, ever met anyone that was an addict or an alcoholic who got that way because someone else forced that choice on them.

I feel sorry for those kids, who are the only real victims here, but the parents? Fuck 'em--They had responsibilities to those kids, and they literally abandoned them for the drugs. You want to bring kids into the world? Take fucking responsibility for raising them to adulthood properly, before you start in with the damn-near-certain-to-kill-you hobbies.

All I can say is that I sincerely hope that stupid sonuvabitch had a decent insurance plan in place. Although, I kinda-sorta doubt it, for some reason...
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 11:31:10 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Nope.  Fentanyl is used in a patch for chronic pain/cancer patients.  There are a few othe methods for it indicated for cancer patients. If they both were down, it's rather obvious that they were two assholes trying to get high.
View Quote
Local kid stole one of his brother's patches. He rolled it up and put it up his nose.  He dead.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 11:31:54 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
To save the google search:

Fentanyl is a powerful synthetic opioid analgesic that is similar to morphine but is 50 to 100 times more potent.  It is a schedule II prescription drug, and it is typically used to treat patients with severe pain or to manage pain after surgery. It is also sometimes used to treat patients with chronic pain who are physically tolerant to other opioids. In its prescription form, fentanyl is known by such names as Actiq®, Duragesic®, and Sublimaze®.Street names for fentanyl or for fentanyl-laced heroin include Apache, China Girl, China White, Dance Fever, Friend, Goodfella, Jackpot, Murder 8, TNT, and Tango and Cash.
View Quote
It'll be interesting to see the actual toxicology... if this is what I'm thinking it is, it's not Fentanyl but Carfentanil which is at least an order of magnitude more potent than fentanyl (same family of drugs) and has been appearing a lot recently in heroin overdoses... Friend of mine does toxicology tests and was telling me about the recent rash of Heroin + carfentanil cases they've been getting over the last few months.

Link

E: Yeah, I know heroin+fentanyl has been a thing for a long time...
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 11:32:57 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
A lot of this was created by the "culture of pain," pain-scores, and pain-is-the-fifth-vital-sign people.  They pushed and pushed for more aggressive treatment of pain.  It even affects your HCAHPS scores, which can lower your medicare reimbursement... so then the suits and hospital administration people got involved, because it affects the bottom line.  

Have we historically undertreated pain in some patients?  Sure... we probably have... but how do you measure that in any sort of objective fashion.  You're talking about something that is fundamentally unquantifiable.  

And then there are the second and third-order effects.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A lot of this was created by the "culture of pain," pain-scores, and pain-is-the-fifth-vital-sign people.  They pushed and pushed for more aggressive treatment of pain.  It even affects your HCAHPS scores, which can lower your medicare reimbursement... so then the suits and hospital administration people got involved, because it affects the bottom line.  

Have we historically undertreated pain in some patients?  Sure... we probably have... but how do you measure that in any sort of objective fashion.  You're talking about something that is fundamentally unquantifiable.  

I'm sure all of that had an effect, but opiate abuse has always moved in cycles of popularity and unpopularity.  It was due to make a comeback.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 11:42:45 AM EDT
[#23]
Dealers should be executed.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 11:44:18 AM EDT
[#24]
So they literally fent ?
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 11:50:04 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
WOW......

At least he wasn't flying while high.   But, that brings us to the question of employment and drug testing.

Aloha, Mark
View Quote
Random drug screens are only given at the end of a trip. And, it takes days/weeks to get the results. The airlines like it this way because a.) they won't have to cancel or delay a flight if the pilot/FA busts BEFORE they fly and b.) it's cheaper to not do the analysis on site because, for airline management, cheaper is ALWAYS better.

Sucks that they died. It sucks they had whatever in their lives that pushed them to go this far to get high and it sucks that they left three kids to deal with this shit.

TC
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 12:02:23 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote
One somewhat creative solution was presented to me by a crusty old ER doc.  He'd use partial antagonists on patients - Stadol, Nubain, or Talwin.  Nobody ever mentions an allergy to these.  You'd have a good idea pretty quickly if they were really hurting or just Jonesing for dope.  He'd then follow up with something better if they were legit.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 12:08:50 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 12:11:15 PM EDT
[#28]
Ban that stuff and let MJ come in and take over.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 12:12:18 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Random drug screens are only given at the end of a trip. And, it takes days/weeks to get the results. The airlines like it this way because a.) they won't have to cancel or delay a flight if the pilot/FA busts BEFORE they fly and b.) it's cheaper to not do the analysis on site because, for airline management, cheaper is ALWAYS better.

Sucks that they died. It sucks they had whatever in their lives that pushed them to go this far to get high and it sucks that they left three kids to deal with this shit.

TC
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
WOW......

At least he wasn't flying while high.   But, that brings us to the question of employment and drug testing.

Aloha, Mark

TC
Whats funny is you can get point of care urine drug screens. You will have the result in <15 min. If the person pops hot, then you can send the urine off for more detailed analysis.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 12:14:26 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Fentanyl is killing a lot of people.

People get addicted to pain pills, loose the prescription and buy pills from the street. Street pulls cost too much so they hit heroin. Dealers mix fentanyl with heroin to get a better high but people OD a lot because of it. NARCAN doesn't work as well on fentanyl as it did on heroin so now everyone has to buy the new and improved NARCAN.

NARCAN is a money grabbing racket.....my rant to the story.
View Quote
I'm sure I'll be corrected if I'm wrong, but Narcan is Narcan. I've never seen 'long-acting Narcan' or anything like that. In fact, one of the problems with it, already mentioned in this thread, is the half-life can be shorter than the narcotic, depending on type and concentration, and sometimes patients need a second dose as a result,.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 12:16:29 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
All I can say is that I sincerely hope that stupid sonuvabitch had a decent insurance plan in place. Although, I kinda-sorta doubt it, for some reason...
View Quote

A lot of employers provide life insurance as a benefit.  Dying as a result of illegal activity may not be covered though.

I feel sorry for the kids.  Hopefully their other parents are decent.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 12:31:53 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 12:48:55 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
The two kids of the wife lost their dad to an OD in 2007.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A lot of employers provide life insurance as a benefit.  Dying as a result of illegal activity may not be covered though.

Well, that sucks.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 12:53:25 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 1:07:22 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
In ten years they will do the same.  Apples don't fall far from assholes (or something like that).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, that sucks.
In ten years they will do the same.  Apples don't fall far from assholes (or something like that).
Sadly, you are probably right.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 1:36:26 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 5:22:06 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Sad story for the kids.

Two druggies dead, I can't find the fucks to give...  Except for the kids and the mess their irresponsible parents left behind.
View Quote
This.

Also... a part of me is saying, "I'm glad he wasn't in the cockpit when this happened."  Cos then there'd be a lot of kids (not just his own) potentially without parents.

Link Posted: 3/18/2017 5:40:35 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 5:51:30 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Heroin laced with fentanyl
View Quote
My first guess as well.  Seems to be happening a lot and often in pairs.  

Fentanyl laced heroin is deadly stuff, but carfentanil laced....

Edit: Just realized this was 5 pages long after I quoted a page one post.  Carry on
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 11:05:48 PM EDT
[#40]
I knew this pilot, Brian. He and I started at a regional airline together 13 years ago. We weren't really friends. Even calling us acquaintances would be a bit of a stretch. But I've been around him in training, after training in the crew room and in the airport, on Beale Street, and at least once at the hotel bar in Cincinnati. This guy had what I've always referred to as an "addictive personality". He was a real heavy guy, ate too much, always chewed, and he could drink like Babe Ruth. I always thought he came off like a bit of a fool.
I hate to say that about someone I knew a little that's just died. But I'm trying to be completely objective. He never seemed to work real hard when it came to studying. But he'd be the first guy at the bar with a big ol' dip in his mouth. I remember how he looked when he partied hard. Sweaty, bleary-eyed, and goofy. Shit eating grin on his face. But never any malice in his mayhem. He was jovial enough, never a mean guy. He'd have been a top pick of mine for someone that might've earned a DWI or for failing a whiz-quiz. But I gotta admit, fentonyl really surprised me. Never knew he was a heavy hitter. That's just really rare in our profession. Sleeping around and hard drinking are still relatively popular forms of distraction but real drugs is a rarity.
Damn do I feel bad for his kids. Two of them already lost their biological father to drugs. Now they've lost them all. Hope they've got good grandparents.
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 11:14:29 PM EDT
[#41]
Got it when I got shot, and pretty sure they used it as anesthesia when I had a wisdom tooth extracted back in December.

Best sleep I'd had in months, both times.
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 11:15:24 PM EDT
[#42]
Fuck those pieces of shit for dying in front of their kids
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 11:28:05 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I've worked with the public (intimately--life insurance agent) for 38+ years, and have seen lots (I have over 8000 policies in force) of kids be welped and grow up to be identical to their parents--for better or worse.  It rarely fails.  
View Quote
The old timers knew this too. If the parents eat sour grapes, the children's teeth will be set on edge.
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 11:48:52 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
A lot of this was created by the "culture of pain," pain-scores, and pain-is-the-fifth-vital-sign people.
View Quote
God, I hate those people.
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 2:46:40 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
This happened in an affluent suburb.....he was a a captain with spirit airlines ....wow
Couple found dead while children sleep....

Brian Hayle was a pilot for Spirit Airlines, the company confirmed to this news organization.

A couple identified as Brian and Courtney Halye were found dead in their Centerville home after two children in the home called 9-1-1 saying their parents were unresponsive.

Coroner says deaths appear to be fentanyl related

9-1-1 calls: Two kids in the home said their parents wouldn’t wake up
We’re still working to get an official cause of death and more on Brian Halye’s pilot work history                

“Captain Hayle served at the airline for just over nine years,” said Paul Berry, the company spokesman. “Our hearts go out to the family, friends and colleagues of Captain Hayle.”

Hayle flew his last flight March 10, the company said.

UPDATE @ 5:11 p.m.

The Centerville Police Department released two 9-1-1 calls made by two children in the home where Brian and Courtney Halye were found dead.

A 13-year-old boy told the dispatcher, "my two parents, I just woke up, and my parents are on the floor. My sister said they are not waking up."

His sisters found their parents dead on the floor of their bedroom upstairs.

He went on to say his parents had been fine the night before.

The dispatcher determined 4 children were in the home-ages 13, 11, 10 and 9.

One of the 3 girls also called 9-1-1 and said to the dispatcher, “my mom's on the floor and my stepdad, they're not waking up...we just woke up for school.”
View Quote

Suburb of this fine city isn't it -

http://wdtn.com/2016/05/24/dayton-tops-worst-cities-for-heroin-overdoses-list/

according to follow up news reports, mom has had a drug problem for some time..
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 12:15:01 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Suburb of this fine city isn't it -

http://wdtn.com/2016/05/24/dayton-tops-worst-cities-for-heroin-overdoses-list/

according to follow up news reports, mom has had a drug problem for some time..
View Quote
Chicago is the murder capital of the U.S. ....Doesn't mean that there aren't affluent suburbs
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 12:17:28 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Folks are dropping like flies from that combination.

It's really amazing how those two drugs have exploded.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
For those asking. Fentanyl is often mixed in with heroin to give the illusion of a stronger product. It gives a strong powerful high, is cheap as fuck, but the high doesn't last as long as heroin.

Dealers will even mix hot batches, adding fentanyl to intentionally cause an overdose because the junkies hear about it and want to buy the product that caused an OD.

And the ever popular photo. Fatal dose of heroin next to one for fentanyl:

http://i.imgur.com/aLXGReO.jpg?1
Folks are dropping like flies from that combination.

It's really amazing how those two drugs have exploded.
Jesus Christ!!!
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 12:22:06 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
A Pilot can't afford good quality Heroin?

You'd think somebody with a degree would know better than to fuck with a drug that has such a ludicrously low therapeutic index? Especially one with a good job, a wife, and two kids.
View Quote
I'm good friends with two pilots, neither has a degree lol.
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 12:24:34 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I'm good friends with two pilots, neither has a degree lol.
View Quote
I thought it was practically mandatory .....

Eta: Im talking pilots for major airlines when making my assumption
Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top