BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 7:33:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Frankly the further I get in nursing school the less I consider sutures to be something someone should be considering doing themselves in anything but the most dire circumstances.

If you have good sterile technique and know when to use them sutures aren't bad.

But there are other easier things to do too. Butterfly sutures, staples, super glue.

Another neat little thing is that if he would have irrigated that wound, covered it with a sterile dressing, and splinted the finger to prevent it from moving, it would have healed on it's own.

edited to add.

I got stupid with a knife and cut a .25 inch wide by .75 inch long flap from the side of my left pointer finger. It was fairly deep. I irrigated it would hydrogen peroxide/betadine mix, butterfly sutured it, put a splint on it to keep from bending the finger and it was fine.

If it would have gotten warm, stunk, or oozed pus I would have went to the doc. I cut the finger at the vol fire department and didn't want to fill out the accident paperwork.

Yeah, super glue is more useful than sutures in a SHTF situation.
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 7:34:03 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm betting his next video is going to be him amputating that finger with a butter knife..
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 7:39:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
I have packages of prolene blue monofilament. They seem to be a very fine hook and line for stitchtes.

Where can I learn how to use these packages.

I know it seems stupid for someone like me to have them but I would like to know how to "basically" use them.

I understand that infection can occure and I understand that. But when worse comes to worse. I would like to be able to use these sealed packs.

Rambo stitched himself up.

I've ran out of local, so what next.

no hospital exist, but I have iodine?

E.T.A. I just whatched the viedo. I have the same 5-0 and 6-0 suture kits.

WTH?

Facts, the vast majority of suturing is performed for cosmetic reasons. Wounds which truly require suturing almost always require definitive care above and beyond sutures. Suturing is a skill that's of limited value in a field setting.

Medical care is a skill set that needs to be approached from the ground up. Start with a solid first aid or first responder course. Take a basic A&P course. (The big problem with any medical training above first aid for someone who isn't functioning as a healthcare provider is retention. A grounding in anatomy and physiology makes the 'why' behind things clearer, so it helps with retention) Then, if you're serious about wanting to be able to perform advanced procedures, look into something like Resqdoc's remote medicine class.

I was picking up what you were putting down for a while.

What your are saying though is that, when I have to deal with total melt down of every social service, my suiture kits are of no use period.

Then I have to ask, If I get a puncture wound, I die? Is there no way to clean it and close it?

Your example makes the perfect point;

If you get a puncture wound, you follow the training out of your wilderness first aid course, pull the wound irrigation syringe and cath out of your kit and irrigate the hell out of it with saline, sterile water or potable water. If it's a huge wound, you pack it with sterile dressing material. You don't suture closed a significant puncture wound because suturing closed a puncture wound is a great way to develop sepsis and die. Let me repeat that - suturing deep wounds closed in austere environments is a great way to kill your patients. Control the bleeding, clean the wound, clean it some more, then clean it again, then close the small shit with butterflys or pack the big shit with sterile packing material and let it granulate in and heal.

The vast, vast majority of the time, suturing is done to mitigate scarring or for convenience, not to preserve life or limb. When it is done as a life saving measure, it's stuff like tying off blood vessels. If you need to ligate a vessel, you need real surgical capability or that limb will die, your patient will develop sepsis and they'll die. It's very difficult to imaging any sort of plausable scenerio where a couple of packets of suture material will be the difference between life / significant morbidity or a better outcome.

Besides, chicks dig scars.

Turns out, I want to learn alot. But I know nill.

How many inches below grade does a footing have to be in Cincinnati? The bottom of the footing not the top.

Ha, gatcha. trick question.

An African swallow, or a European swallow? [/python]

Are tampons considered sterile? Could you pack a puncture wound with one after irrigation?

You'd end up blindly sticking a rigid tube into the wound track. That's not how you pack a wound.

Check this out;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KHaXzwdyes
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 7:39:48 PM EDT
[#4]
BFD.  That guy had the worst sterile technique I have ever scene, even in a field situation.

I want my 7 minutes back.
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 7:56:47 PM EDT
[#5]
HAHA what a dumbass.

He should have just butterflied that mother fucker and left it be.  Maybe put some ointment on it if he really had to, but just left the fucker alone.  

What a moron.  I have had plenty of shit sutured by MD's, and that guy is a fucking tard.

Oh well, maybe next week he'll show us how to amputate his hand.  HAHA
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 11:11:12 PM EDT
[#6]
what a baby,i've had worse cuts on my eye.it looks like he was doing more harm then good with that needle,it looked way too wide to use as a skin closure.i keep a variety in my main pack along with a new sterile stapler.if you go through all the trouble of making a decent first aid kit with sutures spend a couple bucks on a pair of forceps.
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 11:21:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Dude made every possible effort he could to contaminate that once sterile suture.

Yes he sure did. Wonder how the infection turned out.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top