BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/4/2023 6:19:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Good, caught by their own trap.   Couldn’t happen to a better country.
View Quote

Maybe the British moved it out of their way but didn't tell anybody.
Link Posted: 10/4/2023 6:40:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
So they’re caught in a trap.
They can’t walk out?
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/4/2023 6:46:51 PM EDT
[#3]
They got hit by their trap?
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 10/4/2023 6:47:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Submarines are the best place to be.  Until They're not.  Davey Jones' locker collects a few commies.  OL
View Quote
Davey Jones will be hungry in an hour.
Link Posted: 10/4/2023 6:51:29 PM EDT
[#5]
British propaganda has been unbelievable since WW1 and continues to be such.
Link Posted: 10/4/2023 7:12:41 PM EDT
[#6]
As a career Submariner, I shiver to think of those poor bastards slowly suffocating to death.

An an American Submariner.... fuck em.  They were shitty enough sailors to get caught in their own fucking trap.  A trap, I add, that's intended to kill my shipmates.  

Literally, Wish.com submariners getting snagged like Wile E. Coyote with an Acme beartrap.  
Link Posted: 10/4/2023 7:17:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
As a career Submariner, I shiver to think of those poor bastards slowly suffocating to death.

An an American Submariner.... fuck em.  They were shitty enough sailors to get caught in their own fucking trap.  A trap, I add, that's intended to kill my shipmates.  

Literally, Wish.com submariners getting snagged like Wile E. Coyote with an Acme beartrap.  
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/4/2023 9:22:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

Temu
Temu
I'm swimming like a billionaire
Temu
Temu
I'm swimming like a billionaire
Link Posted: 10/5/2023 2:06:11 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I doubt nukes on the ocean floor is ever a good idea.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Shame the boat survived.

I doubt nukes on the ocean floor is ever a good idea.

Meh, as long as they weren't damaged and leaking no big deal, not like they (or someone) wouldn't have recovered any nuclear material that was lost.  Best case would have been for the sub to have been structurally destroyed and everything saltwater damaged (a total loss).  Even though the loss of the crew is a net positive, it sounds like the boat was recovered; the crew is a lot more easily replaced.
Link Posted: 10/5/2023 2:29:53 AM EDT
[#10]
They could build a Destroyer in 90 days...before their shipyard ability doubled.
Link Posted: 10/5/2023 3:09:31 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Are we allowed to cheer for the death of our enemy here, or are they off limits?
View Quote

We aren't really actively engaged with them at the moment...
While my instinct is to make a joke about it I feel it is in poor taste.

Link Posted: 10/5/2023 3:12:32 AM EDT
[#12]

Link Posted: 10/5/2023 3:14:55 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

We aren't really actively engaged with them at the moment...
While my instinct is to make a joke about it I feel it is in poor taste.

View Quote

I close my eyes and pretend I am from Hong Kong.  
Link Posted: 10/5/2023 3:32:19 AM EDT
[#14]

Edit: dang it beat
Link Posted: 10/5/2023 4:41:15 AM EDT
[#15]
The best thing would be to rescue them, live, on camera.

The CCP considers OJT a requirement, and death is inconsequential.

Rescue them and show it to the world, there is nothing more painful than compassion.
Link Posted: 10/5/2023 2:35:23 PM EDT
[#16]

I loled.
Link Posted: 10/5/2023 2:48:56 PM EDT
[#17]
still confused... did the trap have anything to do with the o2 system failure?  are these 2 events of getting trapped and then having your o2 system blow up in some manner related to each other?
where if a US sub did go there and get trapped, would they have slowly suffocated or whould their o2 system immediately get rekt also?

and ETA: wtf is a "double captain"??
Link Posted: 10/5/2023 2:55:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Sounds like a mechanical failure of their air scrubber/generator system and they didn't have a backup?  Kind of confusing reading the various reports.  

I'm curious if they installed the "standardized" airlock couplings that would have allowed another country's rescue vessel to attach to it; I seem to recall there was some agreement between the US/western nations and Russia to standardize on the same type for emergency purposes.  To be honest though, I'd fully expect the Chinese to allow their sailors to die before allowing a foreign power access their subs.
Link Posted: 10/5/2023 3:43:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
still confused... did the trap have anything to do with the o2 system failure?  are these 2 events of getting trapped and then having your o2 system blow up in some manner related to each other?
where if a US sub did go there and get trapped, would they have slowly suffocated or whould their o2 system immediately get rekt also?

View Quote

i'm guessing something that got lost in translation.

perhaps, Captain, 2nd Grade.  like a 2nd Lieutenant grade designation.

just a wild-assed guess.
Link Posted: 10/5/2023 5:01:15 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

@Bophades

My best guess is the trap has objects that will clog the sea intakes.  If you cut off the cooling sea water the reactor will scram in short order.

02 systems consumes quite a bit of battery power and I suspect SSNs dont have as much battery reserves as a DE sub.  They do have emergency oxygen sources in US subs, that I assume they would have on PLAN subs, so because of that I lean towards a battery failure being the actual killer, likely from the off gassing from the failed battery cells.  This would rapidly overwhelm the crew before they could do much to respond to their situation.

From what I have read this trap is designed to catch and hold a USN SSN, likely creating a casualty situation that forces the sub to call for help.  Being stuck well inside Chinese territorial waters China would use the situation to ideally seize the vessel for inspection (read steal everything nailed down) and to create drama with the US on the international stage.  Its likely only a failure in the life safety systems of the PLAN SSN that resulted in the fatalities because major PLAN ports were so close and the water so shallow a rescue should have been possible.
Link Posted: 10/5/2023 5:33:59 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

just a wild-assed guess.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

just a wild-assed guess.

Somebody else said their crews were modeled on the Soviet style where they had a naval captain/master of the vessel and a political officer (can't remember their actual title off the top of my head) and that the captain could make decisions regarding operations of the vessel but that they have to be in joint agreement about essentially everything else.  I've read a little about the various Soviet forces (at least Cold War era stuff), not so much about how the Chinese are currently operating (or fortunately for everyone else in the world- no longer this crew).
Link Posted: 10/5/2023 7:00:39 PM EDT
[#22]
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/5/2023 7:22:30 PM EDT
[#23]

I was hoping someone was going to use AI to come up with something like that.

Very shark like sub.
Link Posted: 10/5/2023 7:23:55 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I was hoping someone was going to use AI to come up with something like that.

Very shark like sub.
View Quote

It took me a while to get the correct prompt. Still wasn’t quite what I was looking for, but…
Link Posted: 10/5/2023 7:28:39 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

It has a recording of a dinner lady saying "FREE TEA HERE"
View Quote

Big sign, "Tea and Crumpets served daily"
Link Posted: 10/5/2023 7:57:39 PM EDT
[#26]
This is actually fucking hilarious.
Link Posted: 10/5/2023 8:01:17 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

It took me a while to get the correct prompt. Still wasn’t quite what I was looking for, but…
View Quote

I think it looks great. Kinda want to see H I Sutton do a cutaway of it.
Link Posted: 10/5/2023 8:08:42 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
So they’re caught in a trap.
They can’t walk out?
View Quote

Why can't you see what your doing to me?
Link Posted: 10/14/2023 5:28:13 PM EDT
[#29]
Interesting video claims the sinking was the result of a suicidal act and that the sub was carrying several high ranking officers at the time (more than typical).

55 people lost lives including backbones of China''s nuclear submarines! The sinking process revealed

Protip: turn up the playback speed, narrator speaks really slowly
Link Posted: 10/27/2023 8:10:36 PM EDT
[#30]
Crew died of hydrogen sulfide poisoning, allegedly. Also, one survivor.

Updates to Sunken Submarine: Survived one is at physical risk/Taiwan builds submarine to stay afloat

Link Posted: 10/27/2023 8:17:52 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 10/27/2023 8:19:09 PM EDT
[#32]
Chinese Elvis - Suspicious Minds
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top