BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 7
Link Posted: 4/26/2023 11:01:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Wow this turned into a fantasy thread of how beta guys told someone off.  Of how they finally stood up for themselves.  

Then he said
Then I told him
Then I walked off, ‘cause I have a clipboard full of people that need me.  They absolutely need me.

View Quote

You must not be essential to the operation of where you work.
Link Posted: 4/26/2023 11:03:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
My dad does contract work for a few marinas doing canvas and upholstery work, sail boaters are the worst to deal with by far. It doesn't matter what their income level is, they're going to try to nit pick the work and bitch and whine to get a deep discount or free work done.

Of course not all contractors are saints either, I'm still trying to recover $9500 from the guy that was supposed to do my pole barn pad. He did a couple of hours of dirt work then disappeared with the deposit. Turns out he's done the same to several other people in the area.

View Quote

You paid a dirt guy up front? That's on you.  
Link Posted: 4/26/2023 11:03:25 AM EDT
[#3]
I worked commercial telecom for 20 years.

Boss got the bright idea to install residential internet based phone service.  It was supposed to be in and out 15-20 min. And make fast money.

After six months, all the techs begged him to drop it.

Last straw was a lady that just could not understand she could not get the service if she had no internet.  She was convinced I was telling her she had to buy a PC and could not understand the difference between net service and a computer which was “the internet” to her.

She was yelling by the time I walked out the door.

We went back to commercial only after that.  Of course there were a few commercial customers fired over the years.
Link Posted: 4/26/2023 11:03:48 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Any of my fellow tradesmen seeing this trend of extremely rude customers trending more?
View Quote

It's not limited to the trades, people are just generally more rude now than they were in the past and I suspect it will only get worse
Link Posted: 4/26/2023 11:05:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
That's why you stick to commercial
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/26/2023 11:06:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
You should have asked to use the bathroom, crapped on the floor next to the toilet, and then left.
View Quote

Negative.   OP did it perfectly.  Perhaps add a Trump "You're fired!" just before he turned to leave.
Link Posted: 4/26/2023 11:08:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
If someone is a PITA out of the gate they're going to be a PITA the whole way through the process. Some customers need fired.
View Quote

and always try to stiff you on the bill....that's my favourite....
Link Posted: 4/26/2023 11:08:38 AM EDT
[#8]
I can sweat copper line and work with not pressurized pvc drain line.

I hire:

Electricians
A/C guys
Roofers
Mechanics
Sprinkler system guys

I’m smart enough to know what I don’t know.

The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom. Knowing what you don’t know is close second.
Link Posted: 4/26/2023 11:10:03 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I think I might be overly nice to contractors when I hire them.

I feel guilty for not doing the work myself.
View Quote

This
I do just about everything...if I'm paying a dude, he has my respect.
Link Posted: 4/26/2023 11:15:48 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

You paid a dirt guy up front? That's on you.  
View Quote
The wife was handling the work, unfortunately I'm on the road too much to deal with the contractors most of the time. Yeah I agree dumb move. It's a bitch finding good contractors around here.

The guy was recommended by the the company that was erecting the pole barn and had done good work for them in the past. He got several other people at the same time on other projects.
Link Posted: 4/26/2023 11:23:33 AM EDT
[#11]
Plumber had the nerve, the Nerve I tell you, to ask for my help removing the old water heater off of the pedestal. I then helped him carry it to his truck. Next was helping place the new heater on the pedestal. From there I stayed the heck out of his way unless he needed anything else. Did my best to make sure he was the happiest man on my street. Well, except for the guy that might be getting a hummer from his wife.   Didn't ask for any kind of discount and paid the bill before he left.
Link Posted: 4/26/2023 11:25:34 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Yep.  I want an electrician to put in a dedicated circuit for my microwave that keeps blowing the breaker completely randomly, but only in colder weather.  Summer, nope, not doing it, cooler weather hell yeah, it'll pop the breaker.  

I can't get anybody to call me back for a small job.  I guess if you are holding out for the big jobs, the small jobs are for suckers.  :(
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm so happy when a tradesmen responds to my emails and voice messages offering them money for their services I could shit myself.

I call four and five times in two weeks leaving messages on the business answering machine, fill out contact forms on the web site, and send emails later on in the month.

There are companies that I've been trying to do business with for two years and they don't want the money.

When I do get a company to pump my septic, patch a hole in the roof, or deliver firewood I offer the workers soft drinks, snacks, and tip afterwords. I'm thinking of hiring a cute girl to do foot massages to see if that helps.

Yep.  I want an electrician to put in a dedicated circuit for my microwave that keeps blowing the breaker completely randomly, but only in colder weather.  Summer, nope, not doing it, cooler weather hell yeah, it'll pop the breaker.  

I can't get anybody to call me back for a small job.  I guess if you are holding out for the big jobs, the small jobs are for suckers.  :(

trying to get a garage door repair in north/mid WI
called several and emailed as well   ZERO response
one guys voice mail says "it the busy season (this was mid winter)  and if you are not a contractor, we wont be taking your work."
Link Posted: 4/26/2023 11:27:13 AM EDT
[#13]
Sometimes it goes the other. Was having work done  done on my car. Had an appointment, left the car there. I've been going to this mechanic for 20+ years. Never hassled him.   I call the mechanic says can't finish today is tomorrow OK. I said no problem.  That happened 4 more times. The guy over booked and I drew the short straw. Parts were readily available so that wasn't the issue. Finally got fed up paid for the work he did and took my car to another garage. I asked the mechanic why have appointments if you're not going do the work in that period of time.
Link Posted: 4/26/2023 11:30:43 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

That "customer" did you a big favor.  Imagine what he'll be like when the work actually starts.
View Quote

I would have thanked him for letting me know up front that he’s the type of customer I turn down.
Link Posted: 4/26/2023 11:37:54 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
There is a lot of mental illness in the world these days.
View Quote

its almost like lockdowns and a unknown shot, injected into us, with unknown side-effects is causing issues....

mostly
Link Posted: 4/26/2023 11:41:28 AM EDT
[#16]
Good for you, OP!  I work with contractors a lot and they are great at their jobs, glad to have them "on my side"
Link Posted: 4/26/2023 11:47:43 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Years ago, guy I worked with told me everyone should have an architect at home in the closet. Have a bad day, take the archy out, beat the shit out of him, and put him back.

Nick
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
There is a certain breed of person with a college degree who really does think that anyone who is not at least as "educated" as they are is a hopeless simpleton who is incapable of being in the rain without drowning.

They tend to be fairly few and far between. But they are memorable when you encounter them.

You're lucky,  I run into them all the time - architects are generally over represented, but there's a fair amount of engineers, managers, and financial types in the mix as well.
Years ago, guy I worked with told me everyone should have an architect at home in the closet. Have a bad day, take the archy out, beat the shit out of him, and put him back.

Nick

I have two who are a married couple, as neighbors - liberal as all get out and dumb as bricks.  It doesn't stop them from being condescending tho'.  Your friend is right, but I don't see a need to wait for a bad day.
Link Posted: 4/26/2023 11:49:34 AM EDT
[#18]
or maybe... the guy has had a few bad experiences with contractors. I know I have. But he was rude right up front so he gets what he gets, nothing.
Link Posted: 4/26/2023 11:50:14 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
There is a certain breed of person with a college degree who really does think that anyone who is not at least as "educated" as they are is a hopeless simpleton who is incapable of being in the rain without drowning.

They tend to be fairly few and far between. But they are memorable when you encounter them.
View Quote

Doctors and Lawyers seem to be some of the worst.   Even if they know nothing about it a lot of them think they are experts because they are experts in their field.
Link Posted: 4/26/2023 12:01:20 PM EDT
[#20]
I HATE electrical work. I cannot express how MUCH hate. Plumbing etc?  No problem.

I was VERY lucky in finding a guy that left Fox services and started his own one-man operation. All his work is by word of mouth, you must be referred by a current customer.

He said he did this because of the people described in this thread.

When I built the shop I had him install the panel and wire the whole thing. He did it ahead of time and exactly when he said he would and the estimate only went over by $5.

I really hope he does not move.
Link Posted: 4/26/2023 12:04:05 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Then wire up a dead short and burn his house down.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Go back and bang his wife.

Then wire up a dead short and burn his house down.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/26/2023 12:06:23 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
That's why you stick to commercial
View Quote

Or industrial.
Link Posted: 4/26/2023 12:20:15 PM EDT
[#23]
I always treat skilled tradesmen with respect.

It looks easy because they have done it a million times and know how to do it. I pay them for that reason: they can do it correctly and far quicker than I can(assuming the person in question has a good track record of work).

Being rude to them is stupid.
Link Posted: 4/26/2023 12:25:13 PM EDT
[#24]
Good walkout..... I was raised to ALWAYS respect anyone who does an honest days work, especially trades. We were poor, so honest hard work was something everyone could do regardless of station in life.
Honest trades; mechanic, electrician, GC etc... do not just grow on trees....
Link Posted: 4/26/2023 12:26:22 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
If someone is a PITA out of the gate they're going to be a PITA the whole way through the process. Some customers need fired.
View Quote

I tell any contractor up front that I use that I will be a PITA.  I'm easy to get along with as long as everything is done right.  I will be picky, so price it as if it was your own house you were going to work on.  I'm equally picky when I'm doing the work and I don't expect less when a professional is doing the work.
Link Posted: 4/26/2023 12:36:14 PM EDT
[#26]
Any tradesmen working on my house always get offered a Diet Coke or Gatorade. If they do a nice job and clean up, I slip them at least $20 and say lunch is on me.
Link Posted: 4/26/2023 12:41:02 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I had to have a part made (Machine shop) and they asked when I needed it done

I said I was at the mercy of them and whenever they could do it would be fine.

I gave it to them yesterday morning and I got it back this morning and they even powder coated it the same color as the machine.

Asked how much and they said to see if it fits first and I could pay them later.

They said they were used to people being demanding and I was the first person that was nice to them in a couple years
View Quote

Good customers get treated well.
Link Posted: 4/26/2023 12:43:14 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

Very much this.

Link Posted: 4/26/2023 12:46:10 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

It's not limited to the trades, people are just generally more rude now than they were in the past and I suspect it will only get worse
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Any of my fellow tradesmen seeing this trend of extremely rude customers trending more?

It is everywhere, after covid the roads around here are like thunderdome..
Link Posted: 4/26/2023 12:48:48 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

My old boss liked to do that kind of Mr. Nice Guy thing.  Of course for US it usually meant a) I had to stop what I was working on for MY customer that was waiting so I could do the design work for his favor, and 2) MY customer didn't get their product when it was promised.  It was particularly bad during Covid, when all the other manufacturers were 3 months out, and we were 3 months out, and I was 2 months behind in my design work (wasn't close to keeping up with the 3 months out) and working 13 out of every 14 days for months straight. He seemed perplexed when I quit when I finally caught up enough to see the light at the end of the tunnel.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I had to have a part made (Machine shop) and they asked when I needed it done

I said I was at the mercy of them and whenever they could do it would be fine.

I gave it to them yesterday morning and I got it back this morning and they even powder coated it the same color as the machine.

Asked how much and they said to see if it fits first and I could pay them later.

They said they were used to people being demanding and I was the first person that was nice to them in a couple years

This is the way I try to run my shop. We may have a 2-3 week backlog on stuff, but if you're not a douche and I have some downtime or am already shooting the color you need, I'll squeeze it in so you can get your stuff back, especially smaller parts.

Our "bigger" customers, mainly the custom diesel shops, that every job has to be expedited because they waited til the last minute and now their customer is screaming at them are the ones that make me want to pull my hair out

My old boss liked to do that kind of Mr. Nice Guy thing.  Of course for US it usually meant a) I had to stop what I was working on for MY customer that was waiting so I could do the design work for his favor, and 2) MY customer didn't get their product when it was promised.  It was particularly bad during Covid, when all the other manufacturers were 3 months out, and we were 3 months out, and I was 2 months behind in my design work (wasn't close to keeping up with the 3 months out) and working 13 out of every 14 days for months straight. He seemed perplexed when I quit when I finally caught up enough to see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Fortunately, the only person it really affects is me since it's just me and one part time employee
Link Posted: 4/26/2023 12:48:52 PM EDT
[#31]
Yep I do one of the following say nope or charge an outrageous price hoping they go away
Link Posted: 4/26/2023 12:53:14 PM EDT
[#32]
Years ago I had some work on on my hvac in my attic and the guy asked me to stay up there to hand him tools and assist if I wouldn't mind.
Last winter I had some work done on the other furnace and used a different company and asked the guy if he needed me to stay or leave him alone. He says you can stay if you want. I not so jokingly say "I don't want to honestly, and will let you get to work. Just wanted to make sure you didn't need me to get you anything". He goes well, you can go and flip on and off the thermostat when I yell for you to. So that is how I become a helper every time I hire someone.

Do Tradesmen want you to stick around and help? Seems like it would just be getting in the way.

Maybe I should stop offering because I don't want to get in the way, but i also don't want to look lazy. But I really feel awkward standing around.

I've even tried the "Let me know if you need anything " route, but they always say "Well actually,  if you could go do this and that, I'll be done quicker". So off I go becoming the apprentice for the day.
Link Posted: 4/26/2023 12:54:39 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

We even overlook the fact that you guys are scared of brooms and picking up trash.
View Quote

Its not that we are scared of brooms, its just we dont like how the fuzy handle end fits in our hand, and the skinny stick end never does a good job on the floor.
Link Posted: 4/26/2023 12:57:55 PM EDT
[#34]
Dude is/was an asshole. Good walk out.
Link Posted: 4/26/2023 12:59:37 PM EDT
[#35]
That guy is an asshole. Fuck his wife
Link Posted: 4/26/2023 1:02:29 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Plumber had the nerve, the Nerve I tell you, to ask for my help removing the old water heater off of the pedestal. I then helped him carry it to his truck. Next was helping place the new heater on the pedestal. From there I stayed the heck out of his way unless he needed anything else. Did my best to make sure he was the happiest man on my street. Well, except for the guy that might be getting a hummer from his wife.   Didn't ask for any kind of discount and paid the bill before he left.
View Quote

I hired a guy a few weeks back to build me a set of new front steps. Time and date was set. Only Home Depot couldn’t get the lumber on site for another week.  
“Fine, I have my F-250 sitting right there, I’ll pick it up.”  

Not only did I meet him at HD, but we sorted through the lumber picking out the shit sticks they gave us and pulling select off the shelves.  We loaded it all up, I parked my truck where he could work out of the back so it wasn’t handled again and I even let him keep the $75 delivery fee that my wife was bitching because I didn’t demand it was rolled off the top because I picked it all up.  

The guy was busting his ass getting this done in a weekend.

Edit:  I even hauled off the old rotted lumber for him since my truck was right there and the dump site is 5 miles down my street.
Link Posted: 4/26/2023 1:11:07 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 4/26/2023 1:13:33 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
The wife was handling the work, unfortunately I'm on the road too much to deal with the contractors most of the time. Yeah I agree dumb move. It's a bitch finding good contractors around here.

The guy was recommended by the the company that was erecting the pole barn and had done good work for them in the past. He got several other people at the same time on other projects.
View Quote

Yeah, that sucks. I never pay subs upfront.  They have no reason to show up when you do.
Link Posted: 4/26/2023 1:13:39 PM EDT
[#39]
I’m an asshole customer in a different way.

I can do a lot of the work, sometimes better, many times worse.

I also like it being done when I get home.

I also understand the work required to get it done. Which I appreciate.

I often stick around and want to learn the process and the approach of the tradesman.

I also learn nobody wants a backpack.

Couldn’t do it as a living, thanks to those who can!
Link Posted: 4/26/2023 1:25:25 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

This and plumbing. While I'm sure I could eventually/probably do it all with enough time, YouTube videos, and trips to Home Depot to buy parts over and over until I got the right ones, I'll happily pay the lazy tax and let one of the known good contractors in the area do their thing.
View Quote

This x10
Link Posted: 4/26/2023 1:32:56 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
trying to get a garage door repair in north/mid WI
called several and emailed as well   ZERO response
one guys voice mail says "it the busy season (this was mid winter)  and if you are not a contractor, we wont be taking your work."
View Quote

Oh that sucks.  Sorry to hear that, man.
Link Posted: 4/26/2023 1:34:13 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I've found that if you have no respect for yourself, you will have no respect for others.
View Quote

This is wisdom.

Good walk out.  

It's inevitable that you hit the "rude" lottery once in a while.   Just move on.
Link Posted: 4/26/2023 1:34:31 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
This is how I roll. It's wiser, easier and more rewarding to simply be decent to people.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I think I might be overly nice to contractors when I hire them.

I feel guilty for not doing the work myself.

Not only this, but also it is wise to be nice to those doing things that could potentially end your life or destroy your property. Be polite to cooks and servers.  Be polite and respectful to the plumber, electrician, etc.  Heck, just be a decent human being to everyone.
This is how I roll. It's wiser, easier and more rewarding to simply be decent to people.

These guys above get it.

My wife said one of the reasons she thought I was a keeper is because I treat everyone, including little kids with respect.

Link Posted: 4/26/2023 1:37:03 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
It's probably b/c most trades are full of uneducated, worthless hacks that can't do any job correctly.  Not saying you are part of this mess but it is hard to find people who have any pride in their trade.  Too many fly by night businesses that higher anyone they can and a lot of illegals that really don't know how to do the job.  This is more a problem in bigger cities where the demand exceeds the profession.

You get that kind of stuff once, twice, three times and you start to develop an attitude to anyone who walks in the door.  No matter how many reviews you read, questions you ask, insurances given for work to be performed; you are left holding the bag when things aren't done correctly/up to code, or they took improper shortcuts to just get the job done and get onto the next one.
View Quote
I just had a new roof put about 6 months ago.  Local company, well reviewed.  Sales guy who came out was personable and nice.  I asked if the crew was theirs or subcontractors.  He said their employees. There are some complications that made my roof job not a normal cookie cutter job and I asked if there would be a supervisor on the job who could keep me up to speed on any issues they run into, he said "their best".

It was a fucking nightmare.  I won't bore you with long version but the short version is nobody on crew spoke english, if there was a supervisor, I couldn't figure out which one it was. They couldn't tell me because they couldn't understand me, or at least acted like they couldn't.  The ability for me to communicate with the people actually doing the work on my house was complete zero. The complications did result in issues, the exact ones I brought up that might, but were not addressed and shit was short cut, half assed and in one case, the sales person recommended and installed a feature that the same company later told me was wrong and should not have happened.

I ended up writing a lengthy email to the owner detailing everything.  All work was stopped and I was told the lead supervisor would come out the next day.  He did and they agreed that part of the work that was done needed to be torn up and redone.  I asked that "lead supervisor" if he would be at my house on the job the next morning when that was scheduled to happen.  He said "not only will I be here, I will do it myself".

The next morning the same non-english speaking crew came back.  Mr. I will do it myself never appeared and shit got done wrong again, but they finished it.  Again I wrote the owner of the company, explaining what I was told would happen and that it didn't happen, with pictures of the fucked up results.  I still have no response.  

The whole process was a mess of poor communication, with the customer and internally, mistakes on their part and just plain lies.  

I paid my bill in full because I am just fucking tired of fighting contractors to do what they said or keep their word.  Some of it is in writing and I could push the issue via court.....but I am just so fucking tired of it all....and the truth is that contractors know it and they know they can make money hand over fist right now...so they keep doing it.

I later found out the sales guy that I had is family of the owner, cousin or some such.  I was the second job he had ever bid.

I am no shit so tired of it that I am honestly thinking about selling my old high maintenance house and just renting for few years.  I am that fucking tried trying to find someone who is honest and doesn't want to fuck me over because they know they can.  I am very sure there are good honest contractors in this world who want to do right....but for the homeowner, finding them is like trying to navigate a minefield.  Reviews are not a map of that minefield either. The best a laymen homeowner can do is guess and hope....or just be blissfully ignorant when we step on one.
Link Posted: 4/26/2023 1:41:49 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
30+ years of being an electrician and I had to walk out of a customer's house.

I get to the customers house and the wife greets me at the door, introducers herself we shake hands she invites me in. ( no this is not a dear penthouse story) I wish!

I asked her what she was needing and before she could get a word out the husband, I assume walks in the room and asked me if we are able to do the work. I said I'm not sure what you need yet I told him. Then he says very rudely

" I just can't have uneducated people in my home and take the chance on you or your ill trained employees burring my house down."

I shit you not!  

I just looked at the guy waiting for him to laugh or something, nope he was dead serious. I just turned around and walked out.  I could hear the wife asked him what the hell his problem was as I walked out the door.

View Quote

Unacceptable behavior from those entitled cunts. You should not have to deal with that at all. You did the right thing by leaving without a word. Such myopic and cruel persons are not worth your time.
Link Posted: 4/26/2023 1:48:24 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I’m an asshole customer in a different way.

I can do a lot of the work, sometimes better, many times worse.

I also like it being done when I get home.

I also understand the work required to get it done. Which I appreciate.

I often stick around and want to learn the process and the approach of the tradesman.

I also learn nobody wants a backpack.

Couldn’t do it as a living, thanks to those who can!
View Quote

$25/hr to watch. $50/hr to help.
Link Posted: 4/26/2023 1:51:22 PM EDT
[#47]
OP got 5 pages from 1 post.  Not a single reply from him.
Link Posted: 4/26/2023 1:52:49 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
OP got 5 pages from 1 post.  Not a single reply from him.
View Quote
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/26/2023 1:57:14 PM EDT
[#49]
Hell, I paid a guy to paint the living room just so I didn't have to. He showed up when he said he would, and was finished in the timeframe he quoted, for the price he quoted.
It would have taken me twice as long and looked half as good.
When I hire someone to do a job, no matter what that job is, they are treated with respect, but I expect the results promised.

I hired an electrician when one of the two fuses behind our service popped (old house). He diagnosed the problem in about 30 seconds and said "You can do this with one trip to Lowes" I said I have zero issues paying you for your experience, please proceed.
Same with the plumber we found. He fixed a toilet and only looked at our cobbled-together water heater install. The NEXT day the water heater started leaking. He never laid a hand on it. I called him to fix it and he immediately went "I never touched it" I cracked up and promised him I knew it was nothing he did. They uninstalled it, I loaded it into my truck, got the replacement and they did the install and brought everything up to code.

Link Posted: 4/26/2023 2:05:25 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote
I've noticed it a lot while driving. Its like people just do what they want. If you call them on it, theres no shame, they act like they didn't do anything wrong.
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top