Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 2/4/2019 11:43:38 PM EDT
Won some money unexpectedly off the Pooper Bowl. Was looking at getting a 9mm service pistol a few days back and made a thread about it HERE, basically, one of the reasons I wanted a new gun was I wanted a super accurate handgun and my new winnings make a FiveSeven not totally out of the ballpark. I have 9mm Glocks already, this isn't for primary carry. I keep circling back to the FiveSeven. I'm not concerned as much about the terminal ballistics arguments as I am about accuracy, long term use, etc. Do you like yours? Is it worth it? Worst comes to worst I know I can easily sell it for what I buy it for, and I'm in no rush so I would wait around and attempt to find a deal. The one I shot years ago was incredibly accurate, I couldn't miss with it and would love another pistol that easy to shoot well. Thank you for your input! Other pistol suggestions welcome as well.
Link Posted: 2/4/2019 11:48:54 PM EDT
[#1]
I own a MKII that I bought in 2015.  I don't mind it.  Its light, high mag capacity, low recoil, and accurate.  Some of the cons include the availability of ammo (PSA used to have it on sale all the time) and there are only FN and American Eagle releases for the mainstream.  Carry ammo is expensive...I think I got a box of 50 SS192 (which have been discontinued since ~2004) for about $1/round.

I carried it as a concealed carry option once in a while as in IWB pistol at 6 o'clock.  The texturing on the grip is very aggressive and made carrying IWB uncomfortable at times.  After market accessories are limited and expensive.

It's a nice conversation piece and range toy at the least, but I'm constantly on the fence about selling it.  I stocked up a lot of AE for the range so sometimes I'm not so much inclined.
Link Posted: 2/4/2019 11:54:15 PM EDT
[#2]
The Five Seven is absolutely my favorite gun! Shoots great, fun to shoot, ammo is not as expensive or difficult to find as it once was. Get it don’t look back and enjoy!
Link Posted: 2/5/2019 12:02:19 AM EDT
[#3]
If you want to have a pistol in that caliber, there are other handguns being made besides the FiveSeven.

Masterpiece Arms sells one, as does CMMG. They just came out with a pistol AR with a brace in 5.7mm.

https://masterpiecearms.com/shop/mpa57sst-5-7x28mm-pistol/

It looks like Masterpiece may have stopped producing their Mac-10-based pistols. They're not advertised as much on their website.

https://www.cmmginc.com/product-category/rifles-pistols/5-7x28-rifles-pistols/
Link Posted: 2/5/2019 12:11:21 AM EDT
[#4]
@PursuitSS

OP, consider the RIA .22 TCM as well, and the .22 TCM 9R Glock conversions.
Link Posted: 2/5/2019 12:14:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
@PursuitSS

View Quote
.22 TCM has the benefit of being able to be reloaded. That’s somewhat of a crapshoot with 5.7x28 thanks to the coating on the cases that is absolutely necessary for safe operation and the base of the 5.7 is much weaker than that of the 22 TCM (which is 5.56 based).
Link Posted: 2/5/2019 12:19:25 AM EDT
[#6]
I’ve owned an FN 5.7 rifle & pistol (Mk II whenever it was first released) since they came out.  I also reload, which increases the ability to play with the cartridge.

I like both the rifle & pistol—accurate & easy to shoot.  I would never choose it for self defense, because there are more effective rounds (5.56 or 7.62 Rooskie or 9mm in a handgun) which will probably piss off the fanbois, but physics is physics.

I enjoy shooting both rifle & pistol.  The flat trajectory is helpful out to 100 yards. However, when you push reloads to hotter than factory, there’s a fair amount of excess muzzle blast.  If you’re sticking with factory, never mind.  If you have experience reloading, you can reload, but adjust by 0.1 grain vs. 0.2 which is the typical increment.  It’s not a good cartridge to learn how to reload from the getgo, but if you aren’t stupid, it can be done.

I’m not interested in AP capability, if I were, I'd use my AR.  So the SS190 silliness & complaints are pointless.  The SS198 is reportedly effective, but I think the SCHV concept is more about fragmentation vs tumble/yaw, especially with a 40 grain bullet.  The 27 grain aluminum core is another option & I do shoot both.

If you’re into suppressors, it’s tough to effectively suppress due to ballistic crack.  Subsonic rounds can be reloaded or bought from some on-line sources, but unless you use an AR 5.56 can for a rifle, it’s tough to justify a can.  I actually returned a can to a manufacturer for a full refund due to keyholing with FN factory SS193.

My only minor complaint was night sights when I got it as I was interested in CCW.  I have factory FN tritium sights & Tool Tech adjustable tritium.  I also have a Docter red dot, but that sat so high I removed it.  I don’t remember what I did with that rascal, now that I think about it....

That’s all I got.  I think you’ll like both pistol & rifle.  If you love reloading—it’s fun, too.
Link Posted: 2/5/2019 12:22:38 AM EDT
[#7]
If you’re looking at a FiveSeven, you know you want a FiveSeven.

Disclaimer: I don’t have one
Link Posted: 2/5/2019 12:27:22 AM EDT
[#8]
I find it to be quite accurate - I’m more confident in its accuracy at long range than any other pistol I own.

Mag capacity is a nice plus.
Link Posted: 2/5/2019 12:29:36 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I own a MKII that I bought in 2015.  I don't mind it.  Its light, high mag capacity, low recoil, and accurate.  Some of the cons include the availability of ammo (PSA used to have it on sale all the time) and there are only FN and American Eagle releases for the mainstream.  Carry ammo is expensive...I think I got a box of 50 SS192 (which have been discontinued since ~2004) for about $1/round.

I carried it as a concealed carry option once in a while as in IWB pistol at 6 o'clock.  The texturing on the grip is very aggressive and made carrying IWB uncomfortable at times.  After market accessories are limited and expensive.

It's a nice conversation piece and range toy at the least, but I'm constantly on the fence about selling it.  I stocked up a lot of AE for the range so sometimes I'm not so much inclined.
View Quote
It's a great SD/HD gun, provided you're feeding it good ammo. Slap a light and 30-round mag on it, and it's a great home defense weapon. Dumbest thing about it is cost, though. FNH priced it out of the market at $1,000+

SS198LF red box is great, but expensive, and sometimes hard to find. Still, I'd use that over the boutique ammo. Practice ammo is expensive, about the same cost as 5.56, if not more. Shit, sealed steel-case SP 5.56 ammo is cheaper... $0.23 per.

The hell ever happened to steel cased 5.7? I remember hearing it was coming years ago...
Link Posted: 2/5/2019 12:43:53 AM EDT
[#10]
SS198 is available from SGAmmo for less than 124g gold dots or HST, but you need to buy at least 500 rounds and, preferably, 1,000 to get the best on your doorstep PPR.

I have an MKII, SP-01 Tac, G22 and G40 among others.  They all have their place.  The weight and stock capacity of the FiveSeven make it very nice for road trips where you can get plenty of capacity at a light weight in a small bag. (See hazard 4 - kato or similar)

As others have said, it can be suppressed, but that’s kind of silly.  The longer barrels are worth the extra FPS, though.  But those are expensive.

My rec is to score one locally that is gently used.  The higherish ammo price floor tends to discourage mag dumps and lots of use at all, so used values can be found.
Link Posted: 2/5/2019 12:47:19 AM EDT
[#11]
Well if you want a handgun that is totally awesome and can be used for 100 yd shots .... I guess they are ok
Link Posted: 2/5/2019 12:51:42 AM EDT
[#12]
Not sure how accurate you want it to be, but any 9mm glock with a red dot can be very accurate out to 150 yards or so
Link Posted: 2/5/2019 12:55:31 AM EDT
[#13]
I've taken the HiPoint out to 130 on a water tank.  
Link Posted: 2/5/2019 1:01:16 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
.22 TCM has the benefit of being able to be reloaded. That’s somewhat of a crapshoot with 5.7x28 thanks to the coating on the cases that is absolutely necessary for safe operation and the base of the 5.7 is much weaker than that of the 22 TCM (which is 5.56 based).
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
@PursuitSS

And the benefit of launching a 40 grain bullet out of a 5 inch pistol barrel at higher velocity than 40 grain bullet from a PS90 16 inch carbine barrel.

Unless OP just wants a 5.7 to have a 5.7   It's his money to spend as he wills.
Link Posted: 2/5/2019 1:01:31 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Not sure how accurate you want it to be, but any 9mm glock with a red dot can be very accurate out to 150 yards or so
View Quote
Yep

But 22TCM9R is fun if you like light recoil and fireballs.
Link Posted: 2/5/2019 1:01:43 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 2/5/2019 1:02:56 AM EDT
[#17]
Every collection needs one. Especially if you have a PS90 to go with it.
Link Posted: 2/5/2019 1:07:22 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 2/5/2019 1:08:55 AM EDT
[#19]
We worked our first murder with a 5.7 on New Years morning this year in a bar parking lot.  It ended up being ruled justified.  Started as a fight in a shit hole gangster bar parking lot.  The first guy was losing the fight and drew a 9mm hi-point and got off 2 rounds (not even close).  The second guy drew a 5.7 and went 6 for 8 at about 20 feet.  Not a lot of damage in terms of exit wounds but a tight group to the upper chest and neck.  The crowd told us that guy number 1 dropped like rock and never moved.  Guy #2 was former military.
Link Posted: 2/5/2019 1:13:39 AM EDT
[#20]
I enjoy mine.
Stock up on ammo when you see it cheap. You burn through it fast.
Link Posted: 2/5/2019 1:13:50 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
We worked our first murder with a 5.7 on New Years morning this year in a bar parking lot.  It ended up being ruled justified.  Started as a fight in a shit hole gangster bar parking lot.  The first guy was losing the fight and drew a 9mm hi-point and got off 2 rounds (not even close).  The second guy drew a 5.7 and went 6 for 8 at about 20 feet.  Not a lot of damage in terms of exit wounds but a tight group to the upper chest and neck.  The crowd told us that guy number 1 dropped like rock and never moved.  Guy #2 was former military.
View Quote
Which round?
Link Posted: 2/5/2019 1:14:54 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Which round?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Which round?
???   The Five-seveN only fires 5.7x28.
Link Posted: 2/5/2019 1:14:58 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 2/5/2019 1:18:16 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote
192/194/195/197/198 or EA?

ETA - or AE 40g
Link Posted: 2/5/2019 1:19:49 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I think he’s asking what loading was used as there are now numerous loads from several companies.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think he’s asking what loading was used as there are now numerous loads from several companies.
Brain fart. Nvm.
Link Posted: 2/5/2019 1:26:20 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Which round?
View Quote
Don't know.  I will have to ask our homicide guys.  Based upon the non scientific look at the exit wound, even the neck wound, there wasn't the typical damage of a medium caliber weapon.  The chest grouping was real tight for an under stress returning of fire.
Link Posted: 2/5/2019 1:34:39 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Don't know.  I will have to ask our homicide guys.  Based upon the non scientific look at the exit wound, even the neck wound, there wasn't the typical damage of a medium caliber weapon.  The chest grouping was real tight for an under stress returning of fire.
View Quote
I bet the exits weren’t as tight as the entry!  The AE40g is a soft tip and based on your exit wound thoughts, we can probably cross that off.  At 20’ any of them would be devastating where those shots were placed.
Link Posted: 2/5/2019 1:40:35 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 2/5/2019 1:41:49 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I bet the exits weren't as tight as the entry!  The AE40g is a soft tip and based on your exit wound thoughts, we can probably cross that off.  At 20' any of them would be devastating where those shots were placed.
View Quote
I took a fairly close look just because I had never seen a 5.7 aftermath.  Problem was there were 150+ spectators from the bar and a random party goer caught one of the stray 9mm rounds in the leg.  We were trying to contain the crime scene and hang onto evidence.  Those shell casings stuck out right off just because they were odd ball.  The shooter played it right.  Stuck around, handed over the gun and his story matched the people in the crowd.  We turned him loose from the scene and he will get the pistol back once the case is completely cleared later this month.
Link Posted: 2/5/2019 1:52:10 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:  I bet the exits weren’t as tight as the entry!  The AE40g is a soft tip and based on your exit wound thoughts, we can probably cross that off.  At 20’ any of them would be devastating where those shots were placed.
View Quote
Que?  Thought AE was the cheap FMJ?
Link Posted: 2/5/2019 1:54:54 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:  You’re telling me your exceeding 2,762 FPS out of a .22TCM with a 5” barrel with a 40gr projectile? I’m calling TOTAL
View Quote
You got a link to some velocity charges on the 5.7x28mm?  Would be helpful in discussions like this.  5.7x28mm is handicapped by its handguns; .22 TCM is handicapped by a single ammo supplier and lack of semi-auto rifles.
Link Posted: 2/5/2019 1:55:37 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Que?  Thought AE was the cheap FMJ?
View Quote
Correct
Link Posted: 2/5/2019 1:58:39 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 2/5/2019 2:02:47 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
LINK

In addition Buffman has numerous videos posted on YouTube where he clocks various 5.7x28 rounds.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You got a link to some velocity charges on the 5.7x28mm?  Would be helpful in discussions like this.  5.7x28mm is handicapped by its handguns; .22 TCM is handicapped by a single ammo supplier and lack of semi-auto rifles.
LINK

In addition Buffman has numerous videos posted on YouTube where he clocks various 5.7x28 rounds.
Lol. Guy is advertising those as armor piercing.  Not sure they meet the legal definition, but that’s still a good way to draw some unwanted attention.  Even better, his pictures make it clear they can pass through Kevlar.
Link Posted: 2/5/2019 2:03:28 AM EDT
[#35]
MkII owner checking in. I haven’t read the responses, but I expect the peanut gallery to degenerate to “.22 magnum HURRDURR” quickly. I really like mine, and consider it to be a quality pistol. Very high capacity, very low recoil, easy to shoot with a high degree of precision. I do wish there were more aftermarket in terms of holster options, sight options, and trigger options. The latter two exist but are limited in options and expensive as shit. I don’t carry mine, though I do have a decent holster for it we’re i to take a notion, and wouldn’t be above such with SS198. The EA stuff never really did a whole lot for me personally. BUT MUH HST KNOCKDOWNPOWERRRR

^carries 147 HST

ETA: I have considered taking either my Five-Seven or SBR’d PS90 out for a short range neck shot on deer season just to see what it would do on tissue. Thought about doing it this last season but ended up using a .223, 6.5G, .308, and 50BMG instead. Eventually I’ll get around to it for the sake of science.
Link Posted: 2/5/2019 2:06:52 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Lol. Guy is advertising those as armor piercing.  Not sure they meet the legal definition, but that’s still a good way to draw some unwanted attention.  Even better, his pictures make it clear they can pass through Kevlar.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

LINK

Lots of rounds penetrate armor that are not “armor piercing”.
Link Posted: 2/5/2019 2:08:58 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
*snip*
ETA: I have considered taking either my Five-Seven or SBR’d PS90 out for a short range neck shot on deer season just to see what it would do on tissue. Thought about doing it this last season but ended up using a .223, 6.5G, .308, and 50BMG instead. Eventually I’ll get around to it for the sake of science.
View Quote
That seems like it might be slightly overkill. Is your flyswatter actually sledgehammer?
Link Posted: 2/5/2019 2:10:43 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

LINK

That’s a complete non-sequitur.  Never espoused an opinion different than that, only that advertising handgun ammo as armor piercing is a good way to attract some unwanted attention, specifically from the ATF (who would have control over his license to manufacture ammo for sale).
Link Posted: 2/5/2019 2:14:05 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

LINK

Exactly, like m193 in 20” barrel
Link Posted: 2/5/2019 2:19:37 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
MkII owner checking in. I haven’t read the responses, but I expect the peanut gallery to degenerate to “.22 magnum HURRDURR” quickly. I really like mine, and consider it to be a quality pistol. Very high capacity, very low recoil, easy to shoot with a high degree of precision. I do wish there were more aftermarket in terms of holster options, sight options, and trigger options. The latter two exist but are limited in options and expensive as shit. I don’t carry mine, though I do have a decent holster for it we’re i to take a notion, and wouldn’t be above such with SS198. The EA stuff never really did a whole lot for me personally. BUT MUH HST KNOCKDOWNPOWERRRR

^carries 147 HST

View Quote
It’s pricey, but you can use the combo with anything that has a rail...SureFire rapid holster and light.  From what I own and have shot, the greatest feature of the FiveSeven is its lack of weight.  Five mags or 100 rounds weighs nothing and fits in a discreet small tablet sized bag.  I’ve got a colt defender 45 and the loaded mag and pistol feel heavier than the five seven with mags in tow.

The FiveSeven is not my first choice for HD, but I’d be gtg if that was what I had access if I needed it.  I do think it is a solid choice for sidearm to your favorite AR because it is so lightweight.
Link Posted: 2/5/2019 2:21:23 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Exactly, like m193 in 20” barrel
View Quote
A loaded 22-250 smokes body armor like it’s its job.
Link Posted: 2/5/2019 2:36:32 AM EDT
[#42]
I'm issued one.

For me it's a tack driver. Very fun and easy to shoot. Ergonomics are ok, but I have the hands of an ape apparently. AP defeating capability is a thing, if you need it.

The only downsides I can think of are cost. But then again, I get paid to carry one so...
Link Posted: 2/5/2019 2:55:05 AM EDT
[#43]
I have a USG and it is my main carry gun.

Kinda want a MK2 now.
Link Posted: 2/5/2019 3:22:46 AM EDT
[#44]
I have a Fn57 and a PS90.  5.7x28 is a great round.  Now I am looking at the MPA57 because of this thread.  It looks like a great SBR setup if you Form 1 it.
Link Posted: 2/5/2019 3:31:43 AM EDT
[#45]
38 super is also a fine and accurate round with lots of reloading options
Link Posted: 2/5/2019 5:17:34 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
You’re telling me your exceeding 2,762 FPS out of a .22TCM with a 5” barrel with a 40gr projectile? I’m calling TOTAL
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And the benefit of launching a 40 grain bullet out of a 5 inch pistol barrel at higher velocity than 40 grain bullet from a PS90 16 inch carbine barrel.

Unless OP just wants a 5.7 to have a 5.7   It's his money to spend as he wills.
You’re telling me your exceeding 2,762 FPS out of a .22TCM with a 5” barrel with a 40gr projectile? I’m calling TOTAL
I have a TCM round and a couple empties as souvenirs from a range day helping break in a TCM pistol and the ammo clocked 2,100 fps over a Chrony. Fun was had by all.

Show us a 5.7 load that does 2762 fps with a 40 grain bullet from a 16 inch PS90 barrel.

Until then I'll match your B.S. flag with Reading comprehension, you no haz it. Maybe you read it wrong. We all make mistakes. If you want to re read the posts and delete your BS flag post then I'll delete this one.

Edit: I found this pre order page for a 5.7 load the seller claims will produce 2,762 fps with 40 grain bullet from a PS90. That is near the 2,800 fps that the TCM rifle is reported to deliver from a 21.75 inch barrel.  IF this is true and not hype and IF the load is safe then many will want to know what powder(s) he is using so they too can get performance greater than a cases capacity normally allows.
Link Posted: 2/5/2019 6:15:03 AM EDT
[#47]
The Five Seven is the worlds most advanced handgun design.

And you feel that every time you pull the trigger

Closest thing to a laser pistol as yet to be produced.
Link Posted: 2/5/2019 6:33:46 AM EDT
[#48]
I have a gen 2 and think it's awesome to shoot. Wish I had the gen 1 with that sexy curve.
Link Posted: 2/5/2019 7:18:43 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 2/5/2019 7:39:56 AM EDT
[#50]
Holy shit... when a 5.7 blows up it REALLY blows up..
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top