Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 5/22/2022 12:43:23 PM EDT
https://www.yahoo.com/news/florida-bodybuilder-pulling-245-000-143834197.html

Vanity prevented a Port St. Lucie man from getting away with getting $245,286 in Veterans Administration disability benefits by claiming, among other things, combat experience and arm and leg weakness that prevented him from lifting weights since 2010.

While pulling this scam, bodybuilder Zachary Barton and his wife were posting pictures and videos online of Barton pushing heavy iron to build his physique and flexing in the gym and on stage in contests. Investigators began tracking the muscular moves of Barton, such as moving furniture and regular workouts at gyms in Colorado Springs, Colorado, where Barton and his wife moved.

Eventually, prosecutors had enough of a case against Barton that the 35-year-old U.S. Army veteran pleaded guilty Thursday in West Palm Beach federal court to theft of government funds from a federal agency. Barton’s sentencing is scheduled for Aug. 11.

Barton submitted a benefits claim to the VA in April 2012 that stated he was dealing with several issues, including Guillian-Barre Syndrome and anxiety. Over the next five years, his percentage of disability, which is used to determine the amount of VA benefits, decreased so Barton’s benefits decreased.

But on May 22, 2017, Barton’s percentage evaluation for PTSD and persistent depressive disorder jumped from 30% to 70% after Barton said his symptoms were getting worse. His guilty plea said he claimed increased “social impairment, with deficiencies in work, school and family relations...depressed mood...memory loss...anxiety...chronic sleep impairment; and total social and occupational impairment” and other mental health problems.

Physically, he said he had “limited motion of the arm at the shoulder level and painful movement of the arm.”

Barton showed up for an Aug. 7, 2019 exam using a cane, which he said he’s been using for nine years. He dropped a small book on the floor, “indicating he had no strength to hold it.” He claimed erectile dysfunction. He said his gym activities were limited to stretching, using bands, sauna sitting and weights of only 5 to 10 pounds. And he only went to the gym twice a week.

Asked by the doctor about his size, Barton dismissed it with, “I am fat,” but when asked about his muscle mass, he said, “I guess I have good genetics.”

But, the previous month, law enforcement began collecting photos from the Facebook and Instagram accounts run by Barton aka Zach Ryan and his wife, Nicole Barton, formerly Nicole Cowan. They showed Barton, Z., doing what he told the VA he couldn’t.

“Such activities included strenuous weightlifting, executing bodybuilding poses and competing in a bodybuilding competition,” Barton’s admission of facts says. “None of the posts, images or videos showed Barton using any assisting devices at any time.”
Zachary Barton and wife Nicole Barton in November 2019. This is the kind of social media post that investigators collected from July 2019 through June 2021 showing that Barton wasn’t the disabled combat veteran he claimed to be.
Zachary Barton and wife Nicole Barton in November 2019. This is the kind of social media post that investigators collected from July 2019 through June 2021 showing that Barton wasn’t the disabled combat veteran he claimed to be.

In August 2019, when investigators learned Barton was moving to Colorado Springs, Colorado, they put a pole cam outside Barton’s Florida home. They saw Barton walking and, on Aug. 23, moving furniture with no problems.

Still, on March 16, 2020, the VA granted his claim as having a spine degenerative disc disease related to his service, a problem that Barton said made it painful to even walk. On May 18, 2021, that jacked his PTSD disability percentage to 100%.

Barton would enjoy those full disability benefits only a short while. On June 23, 2021, the day after agents saw Barton walking and playing with his dogs, Barton skipped a scheduled VA examination. But he did hit a Planet Fitness early that morning, at which he gave another man working out fitness advise. He told the man he’d been lifting for the last 10 years, usually did cardio training in the morning and weights in the evenings. He told the man to meet him later at Flex Gym & Fitness for a workout.

Before the workout, Barton warned it would be “grueling,” but he was a “gym rat,” a serious bodybuilder for two and a half to three years. During the workout, Barton discussed performance enhancing steroids and bragged his use didn’t even affect his ability to get an erection, which ran counter to what he’d told VA doctors.

The man was an undercover agent. The next day, investigators confronted Barton.

“During the interview, Barton admitted to faking his disabilities to received VA disability compensation benefits,” Barton’s guilty plea admits. “Barton stated that he was not in combat and made up stories of combat to obtain a disability rating for PTSD.”
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 12:47:10 PM EDT
[#1]
His bigger crime is skipping leg day and marrying a woman that looks to possibly have or had a dong at one point.
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 12:48:26 PM EDT
[#2]
You think anybody thinks he's a failure because he goe's home to Starla at night? Forget about it!
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 12:49:08 PM EDT
[#3]
This is very common.  I work with a lot of vets in the DOD who brag about how they rip off the government for "headaches" or "back pain" or sleep apnea.

The sad thing is that it tarnishes the vets who actually do deserve disability.
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 12:49:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Is his boyfriend a disabled vet also?
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 12:50:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Lotta that going around. There’s an almost cult of Jr Enlisted support functions that share tips on VA stuff to ensure they “get what’s owed” to them.

This stuff really pisses me off.
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 12:50:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Dude is shaped like Crash Bandicoot
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 12:52:26 PM EDT
[#7]
His wife looks like Andy Dick.
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 12:53:10 PM EDT
[#8]
His girlfriend must have a big cock
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 12:53:24 PM EDT
[#9]
I used to work with a guy who claimed PTSD who had never been near combat. He was a radio repair guy. He fixed the radio for a guy who got killed a month later and that caused his PTSD.
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 12:56:15 PM EDT
[#10]
He’s skipped legs too often and his wife looks like Dee Snyder.
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 12:59:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
His bigger crime is skipping leg day and marrying a woman that looks to possibly have or had a dong at one point.
View Quote

The beard, the beard. Don't forget the beard.

He fuckin looks like Yukon Cornelius
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 12:59:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Fuck that guy

My mom's a vet and is currently fighting with the VA for some benefits and this douche scams them for a quarter mil.

Again, fuck that guy
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 1:01:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Is that Garth from Wayne’s World?
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 1:02:27 PM EDT
[#14]
My son was wounded in action in Iraq.  The VA assigned him 40% disability.  He gets disgusted with guys who falsely claim PTSD or other problems to get money.
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 1:03:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Not everyone in a uniform is a good person~
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 1:05:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

You think anybody thinks he's a failure because he goe's home to Starla at night? Forget about it!
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/22/2022 1:08:13 PM EDT
[#17]
I'm not pretty and I don't have social media (arfcom is not social media ) but gotdamn that is two of the ugliest people I have ever seen. Why post that for the world to see?

And fuck that shitbag for stealing our tax dollars.
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 1:08:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

That includes cops and firefighters too.  Far too many getting paid unjustly.
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 1:08:33 PM EDT
[#19]
I worked at the VA for years. My experience as follows-

A ton of people play the system and get money for things they would have had issues with anyway/faked or exaggerated
Quite a few people don't get the disability % that they should be assigned
A few people have somehow landed the exact number that they deserve

People complain about the VA, but they blame the government instead of other vets abusing the system or the unionization of workers. The worst of the employees are protected by unions. Many of my daily activities were controlled by union decisions despite me not being a part of a union. Workers that were lazy, called in, or bad at their job couldn't be fired. Long ER wait times are usually due to an overwhelming patient load or staff levels....because people seem to use ERs as their primary care or instead of urgent care. Long specialty wait times follow the same principles. Meanwhile, the stats don't lie. The VA has a lower wait time in many areas than private facilities. They have decent to above-average results across most specialties. It's the largest heath care system, so there are going to be issues. Also, many of the problems I saw in the VA were due to union protection of workers rather than .gov policies IMO. Don't forget that they pay less than private facilities for most of the MDs or APPs AND rely on residents/fellows, so you arn't always attracting the best talent either (not to say I didn't work with great providers).
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 1:12:44 PM EDT
[#20]
I assume his arms are also too weak to lift a razor, which explains that stupid looking beard.
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 1:12:54 PM EDT
[#21]
Woops!

Link Posted: 5/22/2022 1:15:45 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I used to work with a guy who claimed PTSD who had never been near combat. He was a radio repair guy. He fixed the radio for a guy who got killed a month later and that caused his PTSD.
View Quote

PTSD isn't just combat related.
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 1:15:50 PM EDT
[#23]
As common as the water is wet.  

His mistake was posting on social media nonstop and attention whoring.  If he would’ve defrauded the VA and then disappeared and went invisible, he woudlve gotten away with it.  ????????
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 1:16:08 PM EDT
[#24]
Similar story about a woman from California.  She was classified as 100% disabled from Workers Comp.  She was a bodybuilder also
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 1:17:59 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
His bigger crime is skipping leg day
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/22/2022 1:18:55 PM EDT
[#26]
But Muh service
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 1:19:24 PM EDT
[#27]
That dude's only 35?
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 1:21:32 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/22/2022 1:25:22 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
https://www.yahoo.com/news/florida-bodybuilder-pulling-245-000-143834197.html

https://s.yimg.com/ny/api/res/1.2/TkdknRipSGjBjeuR3cpzWg--/YXBwaWQ9aGlnaGxhbmRlcjt3PTk2MDtoPTYyMjtjZj13ZWJw/https://s.yimg.com/uu/api/res/1.2/FRkwtA.krBxZuCRX1AE24Q--~B/aD03Mzk7dz0xMTQwO2FwcGlkPXl0YWNoeW9u/https://media.zenfs.com/en/miami_herald_mcclatchy_975/1a0faaee04d58922d154fc4a23f75187

Vanity prevented a Port St. Lucie man from getting away with getting $245,286 in Veterans Administration disability benefits by claiming, among other things, combat experience and arm and leg weakness that prevented him from lifting weights since 2010.

While pulling this scam, bodybuilder Zachary Barton and his wife were posting pictures and videos online of Barton pushing heavy iron to build his physique and flexing in the gym and on stage in contests. Investigators began tracking the muscular moves of Barton, such as moving furniture and regular workouts at gyms in Colorado Springs, Colorado, where Barton and his wife moved.

Eventually, prosecutors had enough of a case against Barton that the 35-year-old U.S. Army veteran pleaded guilty Thursday in West Palm Beach federal court to theft of government funds from a federal agency. Barton’s sentencing is scheduled for Aug. 11.

Barton submitted a benefits claim to the VA in April 2012 that stated he was dealing with several issues, including Guillian-Barre Syndrome and anxiety. Over the next five years, his percentage of disability, which is used to determine the amount of VA benefits, decreased so Barton’s benefits decreased.

But on May 22, 2017, Barton’s percentage evaluation for PTSD and persistent depressive disorder jumped from 30% to 70% after Barton said his symptoms were getting worse. His guilty plea said he claimed increased “social impairment, with deficiencies in work, school and family relations...depressed mood...memory loss...anxiety...chronic sleep impairment; and total social and occupational impairment” and other mental health problems.

Physically, he said he had “limited motion of the arm at the shoulder level and painful movement of the arm.”

Barton showed up for an Aug. 7, 2019 exam using a cane, which he said he’s been using for nine years. He dropped a small book on the floor, “indicating he had no strength to hold it.” He claimed erectile dysfunction. He said his gym activities were limited to stretching, using bands, sauna sitting and weights of only 5 to 10 pounds. And he only went to the gym twice a week.

Asked by the doctor about his size, Barton dismissed it with, “I am fat,” but when asked about his muscle mass, he said, “I guess I have good genetics.”

But, the previous month, law enforcement began collecting photos from the Facebook and Instagram accounts run by Barton aka Zach Ryan and his wife, Nicole Barton, formerly Nicole Cowan. They showed Barton, Z., doing what he told the VA he couldn’t.

“Such activities included strenuous weightlifting, executing bodybuilding poses and competing in a bodybuilding competition,” Barton’s admission of facts says. “None of the posts, images or videos showed Barton using any assisting devices at any time.”

In August 2019, when investigators learned Barton was moving to Colorado Springs, Colorado, they put a pole cam outside Barton’s Florida home. They saw Barton walking and, on Aug. 23, moving furniture with no problems.

Still, on March 16, 2020, the VA granted his claim as having a spine degenerative disc disease related to his service, a problem that Barton said made it painful to even walk. On May 18, 2021, that jacked his PTSD disability percentage to 100%.

Barton would enjoy those full disability benefits only a short while. On June 23, 2021, the day after agents saw Barton walking and playing with his dogs, Barton skipped a scheduled VA examination. But he did hit a Planet Fitness early that morning, at which he gave another man working out fitness advise. He told the man he’d been lifting for the last 10 years, usually did cardio training in the morning and weights in the evenings. He told the man to meet him later at Flex Gym & Fitness for a workout.

Before the workout, Barton warned it would be “grueling,” but he was a “gym rat,” a serious bodybuilder for two and a half to three years. During the workout, Barton discussed performance enhancing steroids and bragged his use didn’t even affect his ability to get an erection, which ran counter to what he’d told VA doctors.

The man was an undercover agent. The next day, investigators confronted Barton.

“During the interview, Barton admitted to faking his disabilities to received VA disability compensation benefits,” Barton’s guilty plea admits. “Barton stated that he was not in combat and made up stories of combat to obtain a disability rating for PTSD.”
View Quote
View Quote

This type of behavior is INCREDIBLY common among those who claim they “need” VA disability benefits.
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 1:29:25 PM EDT
[#30]
Dude needs to stop skipping leg day

Also his girlfriend probably had a higher T level than he does
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 1:29:30 PM EDT
[#31]

That’s a great example.

Wonder what got the agents after him in the first place. I’m starting to think there are agents everywhere.
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 1:31:08 PM EDT
[#32]
That's not just stupid, it's pretty shitty. I don't like the govt but that VA money should be for legit injured soldiers.
Eta: upon closer inspection of the picture, they might be related. If he had no beard, they'd have the same face
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 1:31:46 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/22/2022 1:32:22 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

That includes cops and firefighters too.  Far too many getting paid unjustly.
View Quote

Thieves that wear or wore a uniform , just a white collar scam / hustle Vs taking someone's cash directly.
Sucks that there are people legit that get denied or jacked around for benefits or treatment but some people never bat an eye and steal from the same system.

They would make ready to go BRCC staff~
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 1:32:51 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

One of my old girlfriend's brothers claimed ptsd because some soldiers got killed while he was in boot camp. Apparently, he got some kind of disability from it too.
The bad thing is her other brother served and actually saw combat and has actual ptsd. They wouldn't do shit for him.
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 1:33:13 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

The beard, the beard. Don't forget the beard.

He fuckin looks like Yukon Cornelius
View Quote

That would explain the "wife". He shaved down a bumble and taught it to speak
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 1:35:44 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Lotta that going around. There’s an almost cult of Jr Enlisted support functions that share tips on VA stuff to ensure they “get what’s owed” to them.

This stuff really pisses me off.
View Quote

Yup.  Fuckloads of freloaders in the VA. I was told because I had a concussion from a shitty jump I qualify for TBI  LOLOLOLOL  The woman from the VA during outprocessing was saying how she wore  fucked up too small shoes for a few days before her evaluations to keep benefits. They pride themselves on fucking the system. We all slam some cultures for doing it, well vetbro culture is heavy in it too. Guy near me is getting PTSD bennies because the convoy he "was supposed to be on" got hit   No one died, its just that because he was supoposed to be on it it fucked him up. No idea how they approve shit when other guys cant get rated for actual injuries. A fucking spoon that wasnt even on the  vehicle is collecting.

Fuckloads of guys claiming it though because they "deserve" it. Some do. Very few IMHO. IMHO its fucking the gusy that actually do need the help
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 1:37:19 PM EDT
[#38]
Stupid, and a thief

I don't like stupid people.  I fucking hate thieves.
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 1:37:25 PM EDT
[#39]
This thread has been good for many raffs. Thanks, OP.
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 1:40:22 PM EDT
[#40]
I hope he has to pay it all back and goes to prison for 4 years.
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 1:41:54 PM EDT
[#41]
Fuck him, his tranny girlfriend, and that stupid fucking beard.....
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 1:45:35 PM EDT
[#42]
The beard without mustache is a key indicator of guilt and bad decisions.
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 1:50:14 PM EDT
[#43]
I know a guy that is currently in, when he gets out and starts his VA claims he will totally get busted for this sort of thing.
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 1:51:45 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

One of my old girlfriend's brothers claimed ptsd because some soldiers got killed while he was in boot camp. Apparently, he got some kind of disability from it too.
The bad thing is her other brother served and actually saw combat and has actual ptsd. They wouldn't do shit for him.
View Quote

Then he didn't try. It's not rocket science to get a rating. People just need to submit their supporting documentation. Get a VA Advocate if you need help.
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 1:55:25 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

100%

Link Posted: 5/22/2022 1:55:32 PM EDT
[#46]
It's weird to think that I have a fake shoulder, a punch of pins in my leg, and a giant cluster of nerve damage and this turd somehow talked his way into a higher rating than me.
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 1:58:28 PM EDT
[#47]
The fact that the VA gave him a fucking cent should be investigated…
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 2:01:15 PM EDT
[#48]
He couldn’t lift 10 pounds with those legs?  I believe it.
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 2:01:35 PM EDT
[#49]
Way more common then Vets want to admit. [scamming the system]

They are stealing from those that really do need help.

FUCK THEM.

Know some myself and no way in hell were their issues [IF they have them] service related.
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 2:02:05 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote

Let's not forget his ridiculous beard
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top