Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 89
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 3:44:35 PM EDT
[#1]
My parents are in Venice, they still had cell service at 3:30. A neighbor's lanai blew down around 3.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 3:44:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Any word on Cape Coral? What I'm hearing is it's bad, I have friend sitting it out there and no one can reach him.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 3:45:29 PM EDT
[#3]
It appears that the local NBC station in Ft. Myers has been off the air for over an hour.  Curious what all sources of information or news have gone black due to power, flooding or loss of comms capability?
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 3:45:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

@ThornBooger -

Yes, our primary house is on Sanibel.  We're starting to establish a presence on the ARFCOM island which is inland a bit, but still in the hurricane strength windfield.  The island is covered with old 100' tall oak trees, which are beautiful until a storm like this rolls in.  Everyone has been evacuated from both.  I honestly don't know if either will survive intact and be habitable.  

I don't know how else to say it but I'm in a position to replace property and recover without insurance - whereas most of the fixed income retirees are not.  I had a safe place to flee and be comfortable.  Most did not.  I have heavy equipment staged for cleanup.  Most people would think it's strange to sit here feeling great while my properties are likely being destroyed, but I consider myself very fortunate.  I'm good.  I worry about everyone else....
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
@BlackFox

I thought I recall from one of your earlier threads about your yacht and morning situation that you lived right over where this thing is making landfall, am I mistaken?

Glad you're not in the danger zone now but hope your property isn't about to get smacked.

@ThornBooger -

Yes, our primary house is on Sanibel.  We're starting to establish a presence on the ARFCOM island which is inland a bit, but still in the hurricane strength windfield.  The island is covered with old 100' tall oak trees, which are beautiful until a storm like this rolls in.  Everyone has been evacuated from both.  I honestly don't know if either will survive intact and be habitable.  

I don't know how else to say it but I'm in a position to replace property and recover without insurance - whereas most of the fixed income retirees are not.  I had a safe place to flee and be comfortable.  Most did not.  I have heavy equipment staged for cleanup.  Most people would think it's strange to sit here feeling great while my properties are likely being destroyed, but I consider myself very fortunate.  I'm good.  I worry about everyone else....
Understood and glad to hear it.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 3:45:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

LOL   Of course she is. Its not like she is in a  wooden stick structure of the 1920s
View Quote

I’ve remodeled wooden stick structures from the 40’s on the Destin harbor that have survived countless storms
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 3:45:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Any word on Cape Coral? What I'm hearing is it's bad, I have friend sitting it out there and no one can reach him.
View Quote

Had a buddy there but he evacuated as it was coming in. Said it was insane (bad insane). Looking at some of the pics it looks like CC got smacked in the face.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 3:45:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/house_drift/status/1575150959092604928?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet[/tweet]

https://twitter.com/house_drift/status/1575150959092604928?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

you have to clip off the ? mark and everything to the right of it.

Link Posted: 9/28/2022 3:46:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

JFC
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Tell the ones you Love and won't leave for their safety to please write there SS# on there forearm so when they are found they will be able to identify who they are and you won't have to wonder what ever happened to them.

A time will come during the storm when help will not be able to get to them.

You can't get out through the roof with just you fingernails.

After Katrina for weeks fisherman would find houses floating out in the Gulf.

JFC

Yes, and the one that  flooded texas so badly in the recent years also complete re-organized the ocean floor.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 3:46:51 PM EDT
[#9]
@BlackFox

Reading some of your posts. You are a good man. Stay safe. From your comments you should be set, but any assistance in cleanup needed I'm a pm away.

Link Posted: 9/28/2022 3:46:59 PM EDT
[#10]
View Quote
WTH
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 3:47:00 PM EDT
[#11]
View Quote

Nailed it!

No, really...
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 3:47:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Fighting back against Ian...Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 3:48:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

My grandma is there and was responding until about 45 minutes ago. I'm guessing they lost service. She said they were getting heavy winds but made no mention of flooding.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 3:48:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
WTF just saw a live shot of the Skyway bridge and there was a car on it.
View Quote

Probably Max Olson chasing he just drove over a long bridge going to Punta Gorda.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 3:48:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Yup. People ALWAYS get electrocuted after these storms doing just that.
View Quote

Yep here is a down powerline in Naples

Link Posted: 9/28/2022 3:49:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Years ago, we had a citrus tree blight down here and the Fl dept of agriculture was going into old folks yards to cut down "infected" trees to "save the citrus industry" even if the trees were producing healthy fruit. The fear was that infected leaves would get blown a few hundred feet and infect other trees.

After a few years and 100s of millions they finally came to the conclusion that those leaves could travel more than a few hundred feet with something like this and no one was going to cut down every citrus tree to stop it. During the height of the insanity, they were cutting down healthy trees if they were within a few hundred feet of an infected one to "flatten the curve" of infection.

Sounds familiar somehow.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 3:50:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Video of live powerlines on the ground sparking in Naples.

Unfortunately it will get far worse.  The trees are still up in that picture.  Wait until the trees start looking like this...

https://www.gannett-cdn.com/presto/2018/10/10/PKNS/5570e21b-f3fc-4517-8e6a-85068b86c56a-AP18283760675368.jpg?crop=1023,575,x0,y0&width=3200&height=1680&fit=bounds

https://assets1.cbsnewsstatic.com/i/cbslocal/wp-content/uploads/sites/15909786/2018/10/gettyimages-1051966718.jpg?resize=961

https://kubrick.htvapps.com/vidthumb/ae9a4402-2110-470b-95bf-86efa73e8b4c/ae9a4402-2110-470b-95bf-86efa73e8b4c_image.jpg?crop=1xw:1.0xh;center,top&resize=1200:*

The worst is yet to come.

We drove through NC after ... hugo? went through. The trees weren't snapped above ground level or stripped, they were all pushed over at just above ground level and laid flat, for miles and miles. Not a bit of green leaves anywhere, all gone.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 3:50:39 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

2:31pm is the last text I got from Englewood, which is getting hit on north wall. "Yea it's bad" was the text.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Anyone heard/seen anything out of Venice? My mom texted to say the power went out an hour ago. Haven't heard back from her since.

I'm assuming cell towers are going down.

2:31pm is the last text I got from Englewood, which is getting hit on north wall. "Yea it's bad" was the text.

Yeah, the radar looks like they've been in it for awhile now. Nothing but red.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 3:51:27 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Years ago, we had a citrus tree blight down here and the Fl dept of agriculture was going into old folks yards to cut down "infected" trees to "save the citrus industry" even if the trees were producing healthy fruit. The fear was that infected leaves would get blown a few hundred feet and infect other trees.

After a few years and 100s of millions they finally came to the conclusion that those leaves could travel more than a few hundred feet with something like this and no one was going to cut down every citrus tree to stop it. During the height of the insanity, they were cutting down healthy trees if they were within a few hundred feet of an infected one to "flatten the curve" of infection.

Sounds familiar somehow.
View Quote

I remember that stupidity.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 3:52:17 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I wonder what it will be like restoring power with the supply chain the way it is.
View Quote

Powerline crew trucks and tree crew trucks everywhere for a month, working like beavers on meth and cocaine.

That is how it happens.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 3:54:10 PM EDT
[#22]

Link Posted: 9/28/2022 3:55:36 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FdxFdoPXoAEQsNE?format=jpg&name=medium
View Quote

Good way to get out from a payment ????

Link Posted: 9/28/2022 3:55:40 PM EDT
[#24]
Roofs starting to peel off live on the weather channel.

Why the hell are people out driving around in this shit?
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 3:56:30 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Cantore gets hit by tree branch

View Quote

It is not that the wind blows.  It is what the wind blows.  Try bench pressing 200 pounds with a yield sign through your spleen Scooter!
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 3:56:43 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
My parents are in Venice, they still had cell service at 3:30. A neighbor's lanai blew down around 3.
View Quote

Some sites in Venice, Naples, Fort Myers, and some other areas went down not long ago.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 3:56:44 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

Just because you have money doesn't mean you have any sense, that or it's an insurance fraud scheme.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 3:57:38 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

My texts 20 minutes ago are marked as undelivered to englewood. sms were still coming from northport to my buddy, but probably not for much longer. He has an inreach garmin to sat text out, no word yet probably until its over.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 3:57:50 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

Is that the new Submarini model?
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 3:57:52 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 3:58:18 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Roofs starting to peel off live on the weather channel.

Why the hell are people out driving around in this shit?
View Quote

Every idiot with a cell phone is now an "influencer/storm chaser/self-important douche".
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 3:58:48 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

What a damn fool

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 3:59:25 PM EDT
[#33]
Some people I know pretty dang close to Ft Myers Beach have a good 3' of water in their yard. They live on a canal and fortunately their house is on stilts
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 4:00:30 PM EDT
[#34]
I remember something similar a couple of years ago where a guy saved his BMW with a floor jack. If you have a 500k car though you'd probably never touch one of those.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 4:00:34 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

Smells like insurance claim.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 4:00:47 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

It is not that the wind blows.  It is what the wind blows.  Try bench pressing 200 pounds with a yield sign through your spleen Scooter!
View Quote

Iill never forget my neighbors car after andrew with a stop sign inside of it came in via the rear window.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 4:01:15 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Yikes!! thoughts to those in it..

How long does it take to pass through the eye to the back eye edge? is it like minutes?
View Quote

Eye is about 20 miles across and storm is moving at around 10-12 mph… but then it depends on if you get hit dead center of eye or a more grazing blow.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 4:01:28 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

Im afraid it will be like Michael.  A big loss of all communications.  Phones, cell, radio and cell towers, tv and radio stations all off line.  It will be an information black out and we will be basing a lot of what we think we know based on stuff that can get put from the places thatvstill have services but are not in the impact area.  I will almost guarantee that what is happening is worse than the videos we are getting.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 4:01:29 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

We drove through NC after ... hugo? went through. The trees weren't snapped above ground level or stripped, they were all pushed over at just above ground level and laid flat, for miles and miles. Not a bit of green leaves anywhere, all gone.
View Quote

I survived Hugo.  I remember well exactly what you're talking about.  It looked like someone was clearing an alley through certain wooded areas.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 4:01:31 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Some people I know pretty dang close to Ft Myers Beach have a good 3' of water in their yard. They live on a canal and fortunately their house is on stilts
View Quote

There are photo's out there with water up to their eve's and people calling in trapped in attics in that area.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 4:01:51 PM EDT
[#41]
Is this bitch says as the crow flys one more time
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 4:02:18 PM EDT
[#42]
Any goo scanner feeds?

Tried a couple but heard nothing :\
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 4:02:29 PM EDT
[#43]
Big yacht cruising around in Fort Myers. Who does this?

Link Posted: 9/28/2022 4:03:52 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
There are photo's out there with water up to their eve's and people calling in trapped in attics in that area.
View Quote

I've seen some of those. I grew up there...doesn't take much for the area to flood.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 4:04:24 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

Holy fuck, just when I though I've seen it all.  
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 4:04:28 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Iill never forget my neighbors car after andrew with a stop sign inside of it came in via the rear window.
View Quote

I'm far enough inland that I don't get the really bad hurricane effects here in SC, but I've seen enough to know that I should stay inside when things start getting sporty.  That Ron White bit was funny, but it's also 100% truth.

ETA: Hugo came straight up US 521 and the winds knocked my old 50K sq ft shop building about 4" off square.  I'm over 100 miles from the coast.  *That happened long before I was a SC resident, but I've seen the pics, heard the stories, and had to struggle with opening the damn roller doors on that building that the county never fixed.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 4:04:42 PM EDT
[#47]
This guy is parked on US41 right at the north end of the Peace River bridge.

His feed was still working at 1600...

?? LIVE #IRL - Hurricane IAN Intercept, now in Punta Gorda Florida - 9/28/2022

He said there was an overturned semi with a guy in on the I75 bridge across the river. He called 911 and they said they would get there when the storm passed. Yikes.

Sometimes you just gotta run...

BTW...it looks really ugly.

Link Posted: 9/28/2022 4:04:56 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

WTF? Maybe he was holed up somewhere and broke loose and that was his last resort?
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 4:05:07 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote
Is anybody in it or did it just get loose? It's possible a crazy chad is out looking for survivors but I'd be afraid of whacking the hull on something.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 4:05:47 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Powerline crew trucks and tree crew trucks everywhere for a month, working like beavers on meth and cocaine.

That is how it happens.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I wonder what it will be like restoring power with the supply chain the way it is.

That is how it happens.

but will they have the parts? insulators, wire, poles, transformers is probably the big one, etc
Page / 89
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top