BCM
User Panel

Page / 89
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 6:03:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

Man, that’s rough. Can see my family’s street and it seems like the house is still there but because their street runs away from the camera it’s hard to tell.

Link Posted: 9/29/2022 6:05:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Savannah is currently getting wind gusts and clouds.
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 6:06:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Then why did the neighbor's roof land on my parents. They are fine but roof damage is significant. Englewood.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Most homes still standing. This was a flooding hurricane not a wind damage hurricane like Andrew.

Then why did the neighbor's roof land on my parents. They are fine but roof damage is significant. Englewood.

Yeah, I just worked on my roof all day.

No flooding but my roof is torn up.
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 6:08:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Heard a guy on the Dana show talking about the huge difference in insurance cost responsibility between a Cat 4 and Cat 5 storm due to deductibles.

Now hearing this storm was 1 MPH windspeed away from Cat 5 and still called a Cat 4.

Anyone familiar with this or BS?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Here is an interesting factoid for you.  Insurance companies have started doing "before" overflights to look at roof condition prior to the storm.

Heard a guy on the Dana show talking about the huge difference in insurance cost responsibility between a Cat 4 and Cat 5 storm due to deductibles.

Now hearing this storm was 1 MPH windspeed away from Cat 5 and still called a Cat 4.

It made no difference for my parents coverage that I know of after Charlie. They were with Florida Farm Bureau Insurance.

They did quit covering pool cages after that one. Actually they made the out of pocket so high, it wasn't the cost.

Link Posted: 9/29/2022 6:09:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Here is an interesting factoid for you.  Insurance companies have started doing "before" overflights to look at roof condition prior to the storm.

True. Winds were clocked at 154 prior to landfall yesterday.
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 6:10:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
In-laws just made it back home in Port Charlotte. No surge. Minor damage considering. Some roof leaks and a couple shutters blown off. THey have power, no water. Cell seems to be working. They are a few blocks off the Myakka river and south of North Port. Amazing!
View Quote

I'm around the corner from the former AMVETS in North Port.

Your in-laws are close.

Glad to hear they are o.k. !!!

Link Posted: 9/29/2022 6:11:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I'd like to know what kind of camera was recording that?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Time lapse of 15 foot surge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=al8yTiCVfro

ETA: Ft Meyers Beach

That's one of the craziest videos from this storm I have seen!
I'd like to know what kind of camera was recording that?

Yeah. That was one hardy setup.
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 6:11:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

So, you are not in Florida for hurricane season? Remember when you visited TX in tornado season?
Stay safe.
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 6:14:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
The per-foot cost of a causeway vs. a roadway is eye-watering.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I think there is some positive from this.   Just replace with an entire bridge, the bridge worked, the lower road sections did not.   Probably easier to just make the whole causeway a bridge with footers.

The per-foot cost of a causeway vs. a roadway is eye-watering.

They just completed a multi-million-dollar improvement project on the causeway islands to improve their storm resiliency and usage.  It's all gone.
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 6:15:14 PM EDT
[#10]
My cousins godparents made it thru. Finally heard from them. They were in Placida. House is flooded, roof of garage fell onto car, destroyed the car. But truck is driveable and drove 25 miles for cell service to get ahold of all of us and let us know they're alive. Thank goodness.
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 6:16:25 PM EDT
[#11]

There are supposed to be buildings and beach and concrete surrounding the Sanibel Light.  There's a massive amount of structure that's not there.
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 6:19:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

That looked like 7 outboard engines at first glance!!
View All Quotes
It was...
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 6:20:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 6:21:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

If someone down there is truly in need of one of these but lacks the funds to pick one up, IM me. I could pay for it online and put your name down as the pick up person.
View All Quotes

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 6:21:16 PM EDT
[#16]
I am SHOCKED. Absolutely shocked. A relative, and all community members, are being transported back to their retirement community right now.

They were transported to a shelter. Before it hit. Well prepped shelter. And they’re going back to their community right now. No power/water there but the community will give them food/water.

You can see sanibel island from their community, that’s how close and hard they got hit. I’m absolutely shocked they can go back and roads cleared
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 6:21:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

If someone down there is truly in need of one of these but lacks the funds to pick one up, IM me. I could pay for it online and put your name down as the pick up person.
View All Quotes
I got the 2nd one that's needed.
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 6:21:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Got some good news out of Venice.

My mom and aunt weathered the storm just fine. Minor home damage. The water is up to the front step. Still no cell service or power, but they are doing well.

Had a friend that waded to the house and made contact with them. They had the option to leave and chose to stay.

Random pics I found from the neighborhood. Not great, not terrible.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/297684/signal-2022-09-29-120314_002_jpeg-2544168.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/297684/signal-2022-09-29-095742_002_jpeg-2544169.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/297684/signal-2022-09-29-095715_002_jpeg-2544170.JPG
View Quote

This is encouraging. My parents place is just a bit north of there in Nokomis. Any idea of the elevation of their home,my parents are about 23ft above sea level.
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 6:23:13 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

So, you are not in Florida for hurricane season? Remember when you visited TX in tornado season?
Stay safe.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Stay safe.
I do! I elected to skip the hurricane portion of our itinerary!
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 6:24:17 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

There are supposed to be buildings and beach and concrete surrounding the Sanibel Light.  There's a massive amount of structure that's not there.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Yeah. Wiped away.

Link Posted: 9/29/2022 6:28:07 PM EDT
[#21]
I've been in the path of Charlie, Wilma, Jean and Irma.

While Ian was not kind, we actually caught a break considering. An oak punched a hole in the roof and I have a shit ton of debris cleanup and ranch fencing, but I'll take it.

Sebring

I'm pretty proud of the community too. Grocery stores and fueling stations were civil throughout. After Irma, people have much better awareness.
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 6:28:25 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Sooo... Wife is due with our second child in less than two weeks, and the current path, per windy.com, goes directly over our house south/West of Charleston.

Odds I'm driving to the maternity ward tomorrow during a hurricane?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Sooo... Wife is due with our second child in less than two weeks, and the current path, per windy.com, goes directly over our house south/West of Charleston.

Odds I'm driving to the maternity ward tomorrow during a hurricane?

magic 8 ball say "very likely"  
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 6:28:36 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Damn.

View All Quotes

Yep .our timeshare is still standing as well about a 1/2 mile from the lighthouse

Link Posted: 9/29/2022 6:30:14 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes

awesome
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 6:31:48 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 6:33:14 PM EDT
[#26]
Anyone in the Port Charlotte area have any word on power coming back on?
My nephew says they have power on at their place.
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 6:34:19 PM EDT
[#27]
So the Chris repair shitshow hits the road late Friday or early Saturday.

I've lined a guy up near Huntsville that'll make all the metal for a new roof in a week. Very reasonable price and said he'd bump me to the front of the line for my small order.

So far the plan is to run down, secure my place, help my neighbors and the three dudes that emailed me about a  looksee on their properties. Then I'll start making a list of materials I need to get ordered to fix my walk through living quarters. I've got an appointment in the morning to talk to a guy about a quick window and door order. Friend of a friend deal.

It'll be a pain in the ass but I'll likely haul my supplies from up here to down south. Over the next month I'll be making a couple of trips from Huntsville to Port Charlotte so if anyone needs anything and I can fit it on a 18' dovetail trailer...I'll do what  I can. Even as busy as people are building around here, it seems that it is easier to locate supplies, it's just a haul....

Water and food is available at the end of my street.

Dewalt circular saw, recip saw, drills, impact driver, blades, 2x4's, 2x6's, plywood, deck screws, tarps, bits, roll or two of tar paper, tar paper nails.

Guns are currently being rescued by the neighbor lady after she figured out how to open my safe....

Main breaker is off, weatherhead is standing upright, but I won't have water until I rebuild the walls around my well equipment. Everything departed the slab according to my neighbor.

My goal for this fall is to get the well working, the roof done, house secured, and the ac running for moisture control. We have a calvary that's going to be arriving over the weekend so we just need to hold on until Sunday.....

I wish everyone the best that's dealing with this shitshow. I might just start a "What a disaster this is" in GD for my sanity and your entertainment. I'm kinda twisted that way...

Link Posted: 9/29/2022 6:34:37 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 6:34:52 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
My cousins godparents made it thru. Finally heard from them. They were in Placida. House is flooded, roof of garage fell onto car, destroyed the car. But truck is driveable and drove 25 miles for cell service to get ahold of all of us and let us know they're alive. Thank goodness.
View Quote

I just saw this. Outfuckingstanding !!!!

Link Posted: 9/29/2022 6:35:20 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

awesome
View All Quotes
@advance I put the offer in the assistance thread as well.
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 6:36:30 PM EDT
[#32]
Heard from my dad and stepmother.

No power or cell service at home in Port Charlotte, but they're good.  They got very lucky, considering.  Haven't heard of any major damage to their house or neighborhood.  21xxx Sheldon Ave, if anyone else has someone in that area.

They're out driving around, checking out the damage now.  Should be sending us pics.
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 6:36:52 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I can do the same
View All Quotes
@SSF556 You are 3rd behind me. Ill update the assistance thread now.
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 6:37:39 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote
No comment.
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 6:38:10 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

No power or cell service at home in Port Charlotte, but they're good.  They got very lucky, considering.  Haven't heard of any major damage to their house or neighborhood.  21xxx Sheldon Ave, if anyone else has someone in that area.

They're out driving around, checking out the damage now.  Should be sending us pics.
View Quote
Glad to hear B.
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 6:39:05 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote
Good news!
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 6:39:59 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

WTF!?!?  
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 6:40:26 PM EDT
[#38]

The lighthouse took a beating but it's still up.
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 6:40:27 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote
Damn, The barrier islands get absolutely trashed by hurricanes.
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 6:42:27 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

What an asshole.

Link Posted: 9/29/2022 6:42:34 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

WTF!?!?  
View Quote

She's a doctor who lives in Wyoming and has "Ridin' with Biden" on her twitter page.  A real genius.
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 6:42:52 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Their first hurricane and bought the house in June. SMH they picked a doozy for a first time lol.
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 6:43:48 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Glad to hear B.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Glad to hear B.

Thanks T!
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 6:44:08 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Good news!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good news!

Yessir!
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 6:44:41 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

Fuck him.

COC
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 6:45:43 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

She's a doctor who lives in Wyoming and has "Ridin' with Biden" on her twitter page.  A real genius.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

WTF!?!?  

I guess so.

How can someone too stupid to breathe become a doctor?
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 6:46:12 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

This is encouraging. My parents place is just a bit north of there in Nokomis. Any idea of the elevation of their home,my parents are about 23ft above sea level.
View Quote

@m1awolf

https://whatismyelevation.com/
That website shows my mom's house at 3'
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 6:46:18 PM EDT
[#48]
I’m close to I-75 / I-10 if anyone needs a break or a spot to rest for the night on your travels. IM me if I can help.

Drew
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 6:47:34 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote

This is great news,glad they are safe.
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 6:49:43 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

@m1awolf

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@m1awolf

My dads is 13'.
Page / 89
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top