Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 5/9/2023 8:35:27 AM EDT
Recently flying back from Charlotte was one of the most uncomfortable flights I've been on specifically because of my knees. Is the real benefit to flying first class/business mostly the leg room?
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 8:37:03 AM EDT
[#1]
True first class is a whole different experience

Maybe just start with coach+ or a better airline
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 8:38:00 AM EDT
[#2]
For me it depends on the length of the flight. Anything 4 plus hours the minimum is comfort plus or whatever the equivalent is.
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 8:39:13 AM EDT
[#3]
I think hardly anyone actually pays for it.   I think nearly everyone gets it with Frequent Flyer miles or their company paying for it because it's a long trip.

I like it for long trips.  If the seats recline enough to sleep they are a great benefit.

Some Airlines like Qatar Airways have really nice free stuff- pricey wine and very nice pajamas I've taken home and still worn around the house in the winter as workout clothes.
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 8:40:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Fly private

Tv is to fucking small though

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 8:41:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Airlines have cut back so much on service, even in first class, that “is it worth the money” takes on new meaning.

You’re getting a nice seat and free drinks in first. The food on short haul sucks. Transcons and international have better food but not like it was even 20 years ago.
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 8:42:06 AM EDT
[#6]
If you like more legroom, a wider seat and booze, yes.  It's worth extra.
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 8:42:24 AM EDT
[#7]
it really depends on where you're going.   if you're flying major hub to hub then yes there's usually a real first class on a large plane.  if you're doing regional airports then the small planes usually don't have a real first class and just a slightly larger seat with about the same leg room as the exit row in coach.

my experience recently is that they've cut a lot of the amenities.  heck you're lucky to get a drink these days.

imho, the real benefit is for the occasional flight where you're stuck on the runway for 3 hours before the flight.
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 8:42:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 8:42:52 AM EDT
[#9]
check what type of flight it is (which aircraft) then check leg room for the emergency exit row.

for example, seats 24 D through F on an American Airlines A321 have about five feet of leg room, and are usually only a modest upcharge. I think it was $38 extra last time I flew. No fold down tray table (because no seat in front of you), but not a problem for me.
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 8:43:37 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Recently flying back from Charlotte was one of the most uncomfortable flights I've been on specifically because of my knees. Is the real benefit to flying first class/business mostly the leg room?
View Quote
if your knees hurt that bad, it’s a real benefit, to you. Yes, you get more leg room.
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 8:43:55 AM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
For me it depends on the length of the flight. Anything 4 plus hours the minimum is comfort plus or whatever the equivalent is.
View Quote

Same. For me it’s domestic vs international. I can suck it up and ride with the plebes for a domestic flight but if I’m crossing an ocean I want the good life.
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 8:44:21 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Do you know what that costs?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

We bought it for 30 million

Just saying you wont have to worry about room

Link Posted: 5/9/2023 8:45:23 AM EDT
[#13]
I made the decision to never fly coach again. Get an airlines rewards card (my wife and i both have Alaska) use points, companion fares, or just pay for the upgrade to comfort plus or first class. On short flights it may not be worth the extra per ticket but it is so much nicer then flying with the goats and chickens in the back.
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 8:46:09 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes

10k per hour, per person?
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 8:49:02 AM EDT
[#15]
Buy a mid tier seat, then upgrade immediately after. Saves hundreds of dollars.

Yes. I only fly 1st. 1st on and 1st off makes it worth it alone.
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 8:49:52 AM EDT
[#16]
It depends on the amount of time being stuck on an airplane.

My general rule is that if I am flying by myself I would go for economy plus with the possibility of upgrading to first.

Usually I travel with flights greater than 4.5 hours. The extra leg room comes in handy.
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 8:54:36 AM EDT
[#17]
I flew 3 yrs first class off of flyer miles. I don't know the cost. But if you want more room it's definitely nicer. Free drinks can be dangerous at times. Or it was for me at the time. The meals were a lot better than what the coach lizards ate also. I'd recommend it.
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 9:07:18 AM EDT
[#18]
Most domestic flights aren't worth the cost IMHO. Over 2.5 hours we pop for 1st Class. Carribean we go 1st Class. Over seas is business class as even though I'm rich with a model quality wife I'm no spending that $ amount.
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 9:11:29 AM EDT
[#19]
I’ll never fly coach again, IF I ever fly again. Fuck that.
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 9:12:00 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

it ain't the buying, it is the maintaining it that is the killer

heck even my little plane, the maintenance over the years has been way worse than the initial cost

but me be a poor so there is always that
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 9:17:46 AM EDT
[#21]
Legroom in first is a little better than the premium seats. But for <1k miles the biggest benefit is being off the jet immediately and not having to wait for the clusterfuck in the back.

Snacks/drinks/food don’t hurt. But I enjoy the slight increase in legroom and the time savings more than anything. The time savings shines on any flight- whereas the legroom is more valuable on the long ones. Oh, and fatties can’t pour into your seat as easily.

*this is of course for domestic/transcon flights. As other have said, REAL first class is a different animal entirely.

Link Posted: 5/9/2023 9:20:02 AM EDT
[#22]
No, not really.   Especially for you.   Most airlines let you “upgrade” to the exit row for a nominal fee, or just for asking.   Look into that.
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 9:22:07 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Did you get the connectivity resolved?

It's not the room, it's the time.

Link Posted: 5/9/2023 9:26:15 AM EDT
[#24]
If you can afford it, it's the only way to travel.  Figure 2-3x the price of coach for domestic.  Up to 5x the cost for long haul international flights.

I usually only fly business.  I just buy domestic business class and use systemwide upgrades and miles for the first class long haul.
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 9:27:41 AM EDT
[#25]
I only fly about twice a year, so I do pay for first/business class. I like being first one, first off and not having to deal with the overhead bin fights that I see.

I do know a travel secret though.

Book a cheap seat, once you get on the plane tell the flight attendant that you want to be moved to First Class and in exchange you will clean the bathrooms once the plane has landed. They go for that deal all the time.

Link Posted: 5/9/2023 9:29:22 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I’ll never fly coach again, IF I ever fly again. Fuck that.
View Quote

This is the way!
My wife just paid a butt load of money for renewing our TSA pre check.
I ask her why? You really want to fly anywhere in this environment.
Damn money wasted.
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 9:36:46 AM EDT
[#27]
I have only flown first class on a few domestic flights but it is worth it to me.  If nothing else than for the larger, more comfortable seating.  The better service from the flight attendants is nice too.  If I were planning a vacation with my wife then I would budget for first class as I don't want us to start and end our vacation with a cattle car flight experience.
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 9:36:55 AM EDT
[#28]
it is pretty sweet compared to coach.  maybe not the lap of luxury but still a lot better.  took family to Greece last year and couldn't swing the true first class with the beds you get but the middle option was about the same as first class on US flights.  I'm 6-4 would have been utterly miserable cooped up in the back with the coach folks.  for a short hop not worth it at all.
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 9:39:39 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 9:43:26 AM EDT
[#30]
It's a hard question to answer because the definition of first or business varies depending on the plane.  

On a 747, you could have first class, business, and coach, in that order.  On a 787, you might only have business and coach, but the business class on the international long-haul planes like the 747 or 787 is far superior to the first class you get on a domestic 737.  

Most companies have policies that all employees can fly business or first (but not first if there's a separate business) class if the total travel time is greater than 10 hours, or some will do it based on the individual flights being longer than 5 hours.  They usually state that VPs can travel business/first on any flight.
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 9:44:55 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes

Yes

Lear 45 cost me about $16340 same day round trip from Miami.

(Bout 3400 per hour)

Usually we just swap hours with our Hawker 4000 @ $6500 and Lear 60 @ about $3800
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 9:47:58 AM EDT
[#32]
Paying directly for it…no…waiting an hour or two to take the next flight because the airline overbooked and getting upgraded…heck yeah.
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 9:56:01 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 9:57:15 AM EDT
[#34]
I think so
Went nonstop Boston to Lisbon Portugal
Lay flat seats, first on first off, priority baggage (included) and better food and drink
I think this meal was octopus salad with short ribs
Cost was $1600 more ($800 each way)
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 9:57:17 AM EDT
[#35]
I'm cheap.  I'd put the money towards something else.
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 9:58:02 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Airlines have cut back so much on service, even in first class, that "is it worth the money" takes on new meaning.

You're getting a nice seat and free drinks in first. The food on short haul sucks. Transcons and international have better food but not like it was even 20 years ago.
View Quote

This.

Personally, for longer US flights, yeah, first class is nice because of the space.  I don't think I've ever paid for a first class seat as it was all based on upgrades/miles.  Of course your rating at just about any airline today is based on how much money you spend with them (not miles per say) or having one of their credit cards.

There's plenty of YouTube videos on flyers who fly first class and what the experience is.  

Link Posted: 5/9/2023 9:59:31 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
check what type of flight it is (which aircraft) then check leg room for the emergency exit row.

for example, seats 24 D through F on an American Airlines A321 have about five feet of leg room, and are usually only a modest upcharge. I think it was $38 extra last time I flew. No fold down tray table (because no seat in front of you), but not a problem for me.
View Quote

Admittedly don't fly much anymore but my exit row seat a few weeks ago had a tray table. It's in your arm rest. Flight attendant had to show my dumb ass how to pull it out. I flew business class to mideast several times and it was Def worth my companies money! My money I suck it up with an exit row.
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 10:08:41 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I made the decision to never fly coach again. Get an airlines rewards card (my wife and i both have Alaska) use points, companion fares, or just pay for the upgrade to comfort plus or first class. On short flights it may not be worth the extra per ticket but it is so much nicer then flying with the goats and chickens cows in the back.
View Quote

FIFY

coach is disgusting.

Yes it is worth it. You can also book a coach seat and upgrade at the gate for sometimes much less. I've upgraded from coach to first on a transatlantic flight for $300-500 multiple times.
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 10:09:24 AM EDT
[#39]
Any flight over 4 hours, yes it’s worth it.

Any flight less than 4 hours just pay a little extra to upgrade to the exit row & aisle seat.

I find it odd that people are interested in being the first person on the plane. If at all possible I want to be the last person on the plane.
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 10:13:51 AM EDT
[#40]
While I don't fly nearly as much as I used to, I try to fly First Class if the price difference between First and Coach is not exorbitant. Since I usually check a couple of bags, I factor in the cost of checked bag fees in my decision. $140 worth of bag fees when flying coach vs. free when flying First reduces the price difference. I almost always fly American Airlines and I have to say that the coach seats on their 737's are miserable even on short flights. If I can't get a First Class seat on their 737's, I will try to book a different flight that isn't using a 737.
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 10:15:42 AM EDT
[#41]
You're tall so yes it's worth it.
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 10:17:26 AM EDT
[#42]
My son and I flew first class home from the Peach Bowl.  We were in our Bulldogs gear as victorious lords of the sky.  Was pretty excellent.
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 10:18:42 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I am tall, and I hate being uncomfortable.  For the last 10 years, I have only flown first class.  If I need to fly somewhere, it is either first class, or I am not going.  (If it's a very short flight - like 45 minutes or less - I am willing to fly coach, if I am in an exit row or some other "extra legroom" seat)

Fortunately, I don't need to fly that often, so the cost is manageable.  The cost is definitely worth it to me.  On 10 hour + flights (like D.C. to Hawaii), being in a big wonderful Polaris lie-flat cocoon of a seat is worth everything you pay for it, as opposed to some cramped economy seat next to smelly people.

View Quote

At 5'5", I just put my ruck in my lap, fold my arms on top of it and put my head down.
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 10:22:48 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 10:24:46 AM EDT
[#45]
Dallas to Chicago? No.
Dallas to Sydney? Yes.
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 10:25:40 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

for a short flight, no.

for a multi-hour flight yes.

for an international flight, a requirement - if you can afford it. (If you fly a lot, miles and status are your friends)
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 10:26:46 AM EDT
[#47]
My daughter is a flight attendant for Emirates. She only works A380 first  class, (14 pax).  They are always full, so someone thinks it is worth it.

Her work area.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 10:28:54 AM EDT
[#48]
Delta First Class doesn't even get you access to their SkyClub anymore...
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 10:30:17 AM EDT
[#49]
That flight to Rhodesia is going to suck.
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 10:31:06 AM EDT
[#50]
It's not worth it to me, and I'm not tiny at 6'. Putting aside the fact that I'd rather drive if possible, I can be uncomfortable for a short period of time. I make sure to stand up and stretch periodically.

I take aspirin for a few days before all flights and long drives to reduce DVT risk.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top