Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 7/29/2018 7:07:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Thanks, OP. Water is wet, also. The climate and landscape of California is beautiful. From the coastline to the inland valleys to the Sierras, and the deserts and the parks. A good portion of California is absolutely stunning.

Downside: millions and millions of fuckwits live there.
Link Posted: 7/29/2018 7:41:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
As long as you don’t need fresh water or electricity...
View Quote
Yup, Cali ain't got any...
Link Posted: 7/29/2018 7:52:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Yup, Cali ain't got any...
View Quote
There's plenty of oil, fresh water, potential hydroelectric...Cali lacks due to idiots, not natural resources.
Link Posted: 7/29/2018 7:52:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
It does exist.  I live out in the burbs and really thought it was over hyped bullshit but I had to go to downtown San Francisco several times over the last few weeks and it really is very shocking.  The tent cities do exist, there are people shitting in the gutters, many more doorway squatters than I have ever seen before.  And while stuck in traffic on an elevated approach to the bay bridge I actually witnessed a bum blowing a bum.  lol let that sink in for a bit.  And I was NOT in the shitty areas.  I can't imagine what the shitty districts are like.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Where are the pics of feces and needles littering the streets as well as the tent cities?
It does exist.  I live out in the burbs and really thought it was over hyped bullshit but I had to go to downtown San Francisco several times over the last few weeks and it really is very shocking.  The tent cities do exist, there are people shitting in the gutters, many more doorway squatters than I have ever seen before.  And while stuck in traffic on an elevated approach to the bay bridge I actually witnessed a bum blowing a bum.  lol let that sink in for a bit.  And I was NOT in the shitty areas.  I can't imagine what the shitty districts are like.
FFS...
Link Posted: 7/29/2018 8:04:49 AM EDT
[#5]
The trouble with California is that it's full of Californians.
Link Posted: 7/29/2018 8:08:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Cuba is nice to visit too, so there's that....
Link Posted: 7/29/2018 8:08:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Yes, politics and Liberals aside, California as a great state.

There's a reason people from all over the globe want to visit it.
There's a reason it's called the Golden State.
There's a reason so much about modern culture and society seems based on it and comes from it.

A.W.D.
Link Posted: 7/29/2018 8:10:57 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Yeah, being stationed there for several years had nothing to do with be my experienced opinions, it was all because of Fox. Yeah!

Lol. Not.

Nice people for sure, those awfully nice considerate of others with no ego attached CA drivers, uh huh. Gee that was so nice of them to cut everyone off. Swell people that bunch.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thousand Oaks is definitely Middle class. But It does have some sections of nicer neighborhoods. I live about a mile from TO. CA is really not as bad as most on here make it to be. I bet most just watch FOX news and minds are made up about it.... people are mostly nice weather is great.
Yeah, being stationed there for several years had nothing to do with be my experienced opinions, it was all because of Fox. Yeah!

Lol. Not.

Nice people for sure, those awfully nice considerate of others with no ego attached CA drivers, uh huh. Gee that was so nice of them to cut everyone off. Swell people that bunch.
Growing up living and driving in CA, you learn to drive in an offensive manner out of necessity.
The sheer volume of vehicles on the road in many areas, at all times of day, insists on it.

A.W.D.
Link Posted: 7/29/2018 8:11:49 AM EDT
[#9]
California is an amazing place, the problem is Californians....
Link Posted: 7/29/2018 8:18:59 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I love these monthly threads when people visit CA.

The food is great!

The view!!

The beach!!!!

The weather!!!!!

Then you all leave. No taxes or cost of living sucking out your savings. No day in day out months of the same tyrannical crap that you get to live with. No illegals trashing your countryside. No always feeling that you're about to be arrested or beat up because of difference in opinions. No gangs. And so much agonizing more that makes even some of the Stockholm type natives pack up and leave...And don't forget what a shit for brains drivers they have there. It's as if they're actively trying to beat the massholes or yorktards on who's state has the worst drivers. F yeah!

But that food, weather, and scenery yo. Then I get to leave and post about it later.

Yay for you OP. F CA, and especially F the Stockholm types trying to apologise or derp something else. You ain't fooling no one.
View Quote
Folks like myself that grew up and lived in this neighborhood all their lives, found it pretty tolerable, except for gun laws.

Generally higher wages offset much of the cost you speak of.
Illegals are everywhere, though not quite as catered to in CA, I'll give you that.
Never once lived or felt like I was going to be "arrested or beat up because of difference in opinion."
CA drivers intimidate lots of folks from around the country, honestly because much of the country doesn't know how to drive.

A.W.D.

Link Posted: 7/29/2018 8:21:28 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The trouble with California is that it's full of Liberals that flocked to it from other states, settled, and raised more liberals..
View Quote
Because - everybody - loves CA geography, weather, entertainment, activities and wants to live there.
The problem is what became of it politically.

That will change though, one day.
The CA of 40+ years ago was a very different place.

Time tends to deal with these things in cycles, just as the great state of Texas was once proud to be Blue.

A.W.D.
Link Posted: 7/29/2018 8:28:24 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Thousand Oaks is the rich area.
View Quote
And how!

We were there to move jobs from Thousand Oaks to Atlanta.  Why?  CA was the highest employee cost and the regulations.
Link Posted: 7/29/2018 8:30:02 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
You are essentially on a company-paid vacay, OP.  You are seeing attractions in a few days that most Californians don't see in years, if ever.  Yes, CA has some beautiful places.  I've been to most states, and CA is the most beautiful overall.  Hence the attraction for its 35 million residents, legal and illegal alike.  If you had to live 24/7/365 under the derp you might have a different opinion.  But yeah, company paid vacay in CA isn't the worst thing a person can do.  Enjoy it while it lasts.
View Quote
That’s what one person living there said....”we live here and my kids haven’t been to the beach in 3 years”.

Why?  All this beauty sitting right there in front of you and it’s being ignored.
Link Posted: 7/29/2018 8:34:35 AM EDT
[#14]
I spent 150 days there within the last year.

Gotta agree. If it weren't for the stupid laws and the insane cost of living, I'd try to move there in a heart beat (central coast, maybe San Luis Obispo or Paso Robles).
Link Posted: 7/29/2018 8:41:22 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Growing up living and driving in CA, you learn to drive in an offensive manner out of necessity.
The sheer volume of vehicles on the road in many areas, at all times of day, insists on it.

A.W.D.
View Quote
I'll take Cali drivers over Utah drivers any day.
Link Posted: 7/29/2018 8:43:24 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Hey OP, how'd you make out with the traffic to the observatory, and the parking?
View Quote
Man...that little jaunt was a little bit of work!

We were late because of the work schedule and dinner reservations....plus it took us about 45 minutes to drive in from Thousand Oaks.  I thought that we’d get there to find some of the sunset admirers leaving and find a spot up top.  But there were flashing signs everywhere that the observatory parking was full.

So we parked at the Greek Theater and took the dash bus up.  Free parking at the Greek and the bus was 50 cents up and 75 cents down.  Just note that it will add about an hour or more round trip due to the lines.  It was PACKED!

If you are in shape I would suggest walking back down to the greek.  The line for the Greek bus at or near 10 pm when they close is long.  The walk is probably 3/4 of a mile to a mile and not a problem.

As for the attraction just put on your patience hat.  There were a lot of people there and some tourists were pushy and selfish and many from some countries don’t bathe so the stink can be strong in enclosed spaces.  And watch your wallet.  The gift shop closes at 9 and the lines to the big telescopes that view planets close at 9:30 ish.

But so we’ll worth the trip....just make absolutely sure the day you go there isn’t anything going on at the Greek theater or you won’t be parking there.  There’s a surface lot a ways away where you can park at the bus line and avoid the parking for the area entirely.  Look on the observatory’s website if there’s something going on at the Greek.  It will be a longer (slightly) bus ride but will avoid the craziness all together.  But definitely go.

@Steamer
Link Posted: 7/29/2018 8:50:28 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I was born in socal. It is beautiful. It is also God's natural disaster theme park. It burns! It floods! It has epic landslides!
It has epic earthquakes! Wheeee! My birthday coincides with the Santa Anna winds and wildfires. On my birthday,
it is always on fire.

I live in Appalachia now. It is much less unstable...but it does flood...it is the mountains. I live on a high spot.

Because I don't like flooding.
View Quote
I have work friends and we were talking about this...

Fortunately none of those were going on this time but the fires last year were within 30 minutes.  It did look very dry and the mountains looked very very sparse...wasn’t sure if they burned, were thinned or if they just dried out and were less green.  Much more of a desert look this trip.

I hear all the haters and I’d never live there.  It’s a shame by shame that it’s so bad with the bums, gangs and liberals.  I wonder how it got that bad.....like minds, like kinds I suppose.
Link Posted: 7/29/2018 8:53:30 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
We can’t get fresh water or electricity here?

Who knew?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
As long as you don’t need fresh water or electricity...
We can’t get fresh water or electricity here?

Who knew?
We were talking water with the staff who were there working.  Family of four in Atlanta with a modest home, $35.  California $400.

I don’t know how the lower level accountants make it there!  I’m a Director and couldn’t afford the place.
Link Posted: 7/29/2018 8:55:42 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Thousand Oaks is definitely Middle class. But It does have some sections of nicer neighborhoods. I live about a mile from TO. CA is really not as bad as most on here make it to be. I bet most just watch FOX news and minds are made up about it.... people are mostly nice weather is great.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thousand Oaks is the rich area.
I’ll be back in the fall, in case of natural disaster, riot or other need...you’re my go to arfcommer.  We can fight our way out together.  The only weapon I had was my pecker and I only got to take that because the TSA determined it wasn’t dangerous to anyone!
Link Posted: 7/29/2018 8:55:44 AM EDT
[#20]
Cali truly is heaven.  Liberals have turned it into Hell.
Link Posted: 7/29/2018 9:01:15 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I am originally from Thousand Oaks, it really is a great place. What people really don't understand is that CA isn't all a shithole. The situation is such that the shithole cities like Los Angeles, San Francisco, and Sacramento call the shots. There are many areas in California that are great places and great people. Don't get me wrong, California is in terrible shape and I want like hell to get out. Thousand Oaks is a very special place to me; we are surrounded by outdoor and indoor shooting ranges up to 1,000 yards, plenty of gun shops within driving distance, our Sheriff issues CCW's, good schools, very friendly people, and very low crime. Thousand Oaks is maybe 60% Republican and the entire county of Ventura would be a Republican majority if it wasn't for shitty Oxnard which is also responsible for a great portion of the gangs and crime in the county. Obviously you saw how beautiful it can be. Don't make the mistake of throwing all Californians in with the likes of San Francisco. I haven't seen the whole country but I have been to a decent amount of state and thus far the best looking women are in California.

Middle class by California standards. I'd imagine against the nation it is a rich area. Also against the country. I never considered my family rich, not by a long shot. But many I knew, especially from Oxnard/Ventura seemed to think we were by where our house was and the size. Go behind the gates of Sherwood Valley, that is rich. Quite a few celebs live behind those gates, I did security there once. Then you have some big houses on Westlake Blvd between Arboles and TO.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
We were in the Thousand Oaks area.  
I am originally from Thousand Oaks, it really is a great place. What people really don't understand is that CA isn't all a shithole. The situation is such that the shithole cities like Los Angeles, San Francisco, and Sacramento call the shots. There are many areas in California that are great places and great people. Don't get me wrong, California is in terrible shape and I want like hell to get out. Thousand Oaks is a very special place to me; we are surrounded by outdoor and indoor shooting ranges up to 1,000 yards, plenty of gun shops within driving distance, our Sheriff issues CCW's, good schools, very friendly people, and very low crime. Thousand Oaks is maybe 60% Republican and the entire county of Ventura would be a Republican majority if it wasn't for shitty Oxnard which is also responsible for a great portion of the gangs and crime in the county. Obviously you saw how beautiful it can be. Don't make the mistake of throwing all Californians in with the likes of San Francisco. I haven't seen the whole country but I have been to a decent amount of state and thus far the best looking women are in California.

Quoted:
Middle class by California standards. I'd imagine against the nation it is a rich area. Also against the country. I never considered my family rich, not by a long shot. But many I knew, especially from Oxnard/Ventura seemed to think we were by where our house was and the size. Go behind the gates of Sherwood Valley, that is rich. Quite a few celebs live behind those gates, I did security there once. Then you have some big houses on Westlake Blvd between Arboles and TO.
True that TO isn’t middle class.  Compared to Atlanta it is about as high end as you get.  Every other car it seems cost more than my home.

The homes are nice and would be maybe $300k in Atlanta but probably go for close to $1m.  How people afford that and the taxes is beyond me.

I love the place.  Of course I do not live there.  But not once did I feel unsafe anywhere except due to the stench of underarm odor of the foreign tourists.

But the Four Seasons had some yoga program for non-guests that was dragging in the hotties like crazy.
Link Posted: 7/29/2018 9:02:39 AM EDT
[#22]
There's a real issue with Californoia ( Sounds like an issue, so I left it misspelled) as a rule helping itself to other states' assets, like they're entitled to. For some reason, a vast majority of mob owned businesses are registered in Cali that operate in my state. It's like a gigantic chinese wallet. It makes our money disappear.

Glad they have it so good. They make it suck for the rest of us.
Link Posted: 7/29/2018 9:03:27 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Thanks, OP. Water is wet, also. The climate and landscape of California is beautiful. From the coastline to the inland valleys to the Sierras, and the deserts and the parks. A good portion of California is absolutely stunning.

Downside: millions and millions of fuckwits live there.
View Quote
Dude you live in SC!  
Link Posted: 7/29/2018 9:10:41 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

A.W.D.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol. Not.

A.W.D.
I’m from Atlanta and we perfect hate driving.  Someone not going fast enough, cut them off in an aggressive fashion as closely as you can.  I don’t do it, but it’s our State welcome symbol.

Out in CA it was like I was invisible.  Three times driving in the right lane at the speed limit with two lanes beside me totally free I had people drive up and nearly rear end me as if I wasn’t even there, going 30-40 faster than me.  I’m not talking about switching into my lane and realizing I had slowed up, they drive up in the same lane as if I wasn’t even there and then realized...guess I better slow up.  I catch the rear view and watch them almost drive right into me, nose dive...one actually squealed their tires....slight fish tailing.  Then they went around and kept going.  Beats all I’ve ever seen and was totally unexplainable.  It was a black freaking minivan!!!
Link Posted: 7/29/2018 9:13:32 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Dude you live in SC!  
View Quote
Is that a compliment or an insult?

Live in SC because my wife and I make decent coin. The South, culturally, is where I prefer to live. But born in LA and raised in TX. Still have a lot of family in SoCal, but I'd never live there.
Climate?
Culture?

My aunt and uncle lived in the LA area until about five years ago. Huge Cali fans. But moved to middle of nowhere western NC and absolutely love it.
Link Posted: 7/29/2018 9:15:33 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I’ll be back in the fall, in case of natural disaster, riot or other need...you’re my go to arfcommer.  We can fight our way out together.  The only weapon I had was my pecker and I only got to take that because the TSA determined it wasn’t dangerous to anyone!
View Quote
Sounds like a plan! I’m guessing you were here for Amgen?
Link Posted: 7/29/2018 9:19:00 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Live in SC because my wife and I make decent coin. The South, culturally, is where I prefer to live. But born in LA and raised in TX. Still have a lot of family in SoCal, but I'd never live there.
Climate?
Culture?

My aunt and uncle lived in the LA area until about five years ago. Huge Cali fans. But moved to middle of nowhere western NC and absolutely love it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dude you live in SC!  

Climate?
Culture?

Just a little Hate!  The whole GA SC rivalry.

But you do have murder beach on the list.  I felt safer in Cali than I did in Murder beach.
Link Posted: 7/29/2018 9:21:21 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Amgen?  Not sure what that is.

Unfortunately we were there to shut down jobs for my company and move them to Atlanta.  Taxes, regulation and salaries made it cost prohibitive.  Soon my company will have taken all jobs out that aren’t required to be there to do business with the State.

I felt like the grim reaper.  Some darned fine people to have to do it to as well.
Link Posted: 7/29/2018 9:24:20 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Which seafood place?  Malibu Seafood or Neptunes Net?
View Quote
Used to hit Neptunes after surfing. Back then it was known as Dolly"s to us locals.
Link Posted: 7/29/2018 9:28:32 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Amgen?  Not sure what that is.

Unfortunately we were there to shut down jobs for my company and move them to Atlanta.  Taxes, regulation and salaries made it cost prohibitive.  Soon my company will have taken all jobs out that aren’t required to be there to do business with the State.

I felt like the grim reaper.  Some darned fine people to have to do it to as well.
View Quote
Oh gotcha Amgen is a massive pharmaceutical company based out of the TO area. I’d say they employ a huge portion of the area well their moving too...
Link Posted: 7/29/2018 9:30:15 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Just a little Hate!  The whole GA SC rivalry.

But you do have murder beach on the list.  I felt safer in Cali than I did in Murder beach.
View Quote
I don't doubt it.
Never been there, and have no intention of ever going.
Link Posted: 7/29/2018 9:30:58 AM EDT
[#32]
Maybe to visit, no fucking way I live there.
Link Posted: 7/29/2018 9:32:33 AM EDT
[#33]
California is about to go full commie bat shit crazy if they pass Prop 10 in November.  It will allow local governments to establish rent control.
Link Posted: 7/29/2018 9:34:48 AM EDT
[#34]
In two weeks I have to spend 3 days in Los Angeles, I'm not really looking forward to it .

Whatcha carrying?
Link Posted: 7/29/2018 9:36:24 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Maybe to visit, no fucking way I live there.
View Quote
I’d move to your state just for the Hot Chicken. I travel to Huntsville regularly and all I eat is big shakes Nashville hot chicken(Tennessee chain)!!! Best chicken ever hands down.
Link Posted: 7/29/2018 9:37:01 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
California is about to go full commie bat shit crazy if they pass Prop 10 in November.  It will allow local governments to establish rent control.
View Quote
Rent control is fucking bullshit.
Link Posted: 7/29/2018 9:37:23 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
In two weeks I have to spend 3 days in Los Angeles, I'm not really looking forward to it .

Whatcha carrying?
View Quote
All I ever carry is a Benchmade Barrage or an ESEE Izula II.
Link Posted: 7/29/2018 9:40:00 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Whatcha carrying?
Yeah no way on that
Link Posted: 7/29/2018 9:40:01 AM EDT
[#39]
There is no doubt it's a beautiful place but it's been infected with liberal/progressive/socialist/communists and unfortunately, the infection is too far gone and has become terminal.

They did the same thing to Washington, Oregon, Illinois and its spreading to Colorado now IMO.
Link Posted: 7/29/2018 9:40:08 AM EDT
[#40]
It wears off once you live there a few months. Traffic, cops giving bullshit tickets, expense, fees for everything, can't do shit on the beach, illegals and their shitty uninsured cars. The weather is nice, plenty to do but that's about it.
Link Posted: 7/29/2018 9:40:59 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Yeah no way on that
View Quote
Well, all I ever admit to carrying.
Link Posted: 7/29/2018 9:41:38 AM EDT
[#42]
Given the option I would move to Cali and live out my days as a beach bum. I already live in an area that won’t put anything other then democrats in local offices. So I would just be moving from one liberal shithole to the other. Just different landscapes.
Link Posted: 7/29/2018 9:42:02 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
It wears off once you live there a few months. Traffic, cops giving bullshit tickets, expense, fees for everything, can't do shit on the beach, illegals and their shitty uninsured cars. The weather is nice, plenty to do but that's about it.
View Quote
I haven't had a ticket in 30 years.
Link Posted: 7/29/2018 9:43:59 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 7/29/2018 9:45:22 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
The only thing wrong with California is the liberal infestation.
View Quote
The trouble with California is its full of Californians.

Link Posted: 7/29/2018 9:45:24 AM EDT
[#46]
California is a beautiful state.  Awesome climate, beaches, and mountains.

The laws, majority of the people, and attitude sucks.
Link Posted: 7/29/2018 9:45:38 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
The only thing wrong with California is the liberal infestation.
View Quote
So right.  I would love to move back, but I really love plastic straws.

Seriously, it is an amazing place.
Link Posted: 7/29/2018 9:48:39 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah no way on that
G19 FTW
Link Posted: 7/29/2018 9:54:32 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

G19 FTW
View Quote
It does start with '19'
Link Posted: 7/29/2018 10:03:23 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I’m from Atlanta and we perfect hate driving.  Someone not going fast enough, cut them off in an aggressive fashion as closely as you can.  I don’t do it, but it’s our State welcome symbol.

Out in CA it was like I was invisible.  Three times driving in the right lane at the speed limit with two lanes beside me totally free I had people drive up and nearly rear end me as if I wasn’t even there, going 30-40 faster than me.  I’m not talking about switching into my lane and realizing I had slowed up, they drive up in the same lane as if I wasn’t even there and then realized...guess I better slow up.  I catch the rear view and watch them almost drive right into me, nose dive...one actually squealed their tires....slight fish tailing.  Then they went around and kept going.  Beats all I’ve ever seen and was totally unexplainable.  It was a black freaking minivan!!!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol. Not.

A.W.D.

Driving in CA requires that you drive like you're trying to win the race ;)

A.W.D.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top