Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 20
Link Posted: 6/19/2021 7:12:43 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I'd guesstimate center of the tire will be in the rear third of the tailgate.

My RM125 sat a little past the "crack" between the tailgate & bed with the Canyon's 5.5ft bed.

With those built in tie down points it shouldn't  be too bad to strap it down either.

Edit: and that was with the handlebars mostly straight. You can gain some room if you turn the bars & angle the bike. Hitch racks are way better for a single bike though. Keeps the tailgate closed for gas cans & other shit as well.
View Quote

A dirt bike might be somewhat light, but what about a street bike? Will the tailgate be strong enough to support the back end of a bike weighing 600 lbs, or god forbid something like a HD that weighs 8-900 lbs? Or will it fold where the back wheel is resting as it goes over bumps?
Link Posted: 6/19/2021 8:16:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

A dirt bike might be somewhat light, but what about a street bike? Will the tailgate be strong enough to support the back end of a bike weighing 600 lbs, or god forbid something like a HD that weighs 8-900 lbs? Or will it fold where the back wheel is resting as it goes over bumps?
View Quote

My 1-liter street bike weighed 500lbs wet.  Most of that weight is on the front.  The tailgate will easily handle a rear tire sitting on it.  No different than an adult sitting on it.  

And no, no one in their right mind is going to load a 800#+ motorcycle in a pickup bed.  They will use a small, low, trailer
Link Posted: 6/19/2021 8:22:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

What does an auto parts store transport that it needs a 6-7 foot bed?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I wanted to see a single cab version with a 6-7ft bed.  The auto parts stores would love them along with other fleet Buyers.

What does an auto parts store transport that it needs a 6-7 foot bed?

Exhaust pipe, pre-bent brake lines, and driveshafts for starters.  

Hydraulic lines (steel, hard lines), body parts (fenders, hoods, door skins, bumpers & bumper covers, etc...)
Link Posted: 6/19/2021 8:22:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
next to Honda civic..
https://www.thedrive.com/content/2021/06/tiny-maverick-lead.jpg?quality=85&width=1920&quality=70

seems more compact than the manufacture's pictures let on IMO... that's a good thing..
View Quote

yup, this is currently an untapped market as current midsized trucks are yesterday's full sized and today's full-sized are fucking behemoths. Ford is going to sell the absolute shit out of these if they can keep production going.
Link Posted: 6/19/2021 8:35:02 AM EDT
[#5]
I went to the Ford dealer a few days ago to look at one but they didn't have any. The salesgirl said it'll be a year before they do so I got put on the notification list.
Link Posted: 6/19/2021 12:50:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

They said it's rated for 400lbs in the mid position (plywood position) but they didn't say for fully down. It should be mostly based on the cables, so... I'm sure it would be fine if you were crazy enough to try.

As another poster said, nobody is going to load a heavy street bike in the back. You ain't lifting it, and fuck a ramp.
Link Posted: 6/19/2021 1:10:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

They said it's rated for 400lbs in the mid position (plywood position) but they didn't say for fully down. It should be mostly based on the cables, so... I'm sure it would be fine if you were crazy enough to try.

As another poster said, nobody is going to load a heavy street bike in the back. You ain't lifting it, and fuck a ramp.
View Quote

I thought I saw 300 pounds somewhere for the down position but I’ve been looking at so many vehicles I can’t remember if it was for this one
Link Posted: 6/19/2021 1:34:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/19/2021 1:38:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

My 1-liter street bike weighed 500lbs wet.  Most of that weight is on the front.  The tailgate will easily handle a rear tire sitting on it.  No different than an adult sitting on it.  

And no, no one in their right mind is going to load a 800#+ motorcycle in a pickup bed.  They will use a small, low, trailer
View Quote

I cannot assess whether they are in their right minds or not, but people put big bikes in pickups all the time. Having been employed at multiple motorcycle dealerships, I saw it frequently. Helped load and unload many, often using ramps. So, I ask because I know that people do this. The bed of this one being a lot lower to the ground than a full-size pickup (I think) will make it more attractive as that will lessen the ramp angle.

Mind you, I own a small trailer for my bikes and such, but still, people will do it.
Link Posted: 6/19/2021 1:55:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

yup, this is currently an untapped market as current midsized trucks are yesterday's full sized and today's full-sized are fucking behemoths. Ford is going to sell the absolute shit out of these if they can keep production going.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
next to Honda civic..
https://www.thedrive.com/content/2021/06/tiny-maverick-lead.jpg?quality=85&width=1920&quality=70

seems more compact than the manufacture's pictures let on IMO... that's a good thing..

they're gonna sell a ton of these things... most importantly it looks like a real truck, not an El Camino from Battle star Galactical... that's going to appeal greatly to the crowd that can afford a 2nd-3rd vehicle as a home improvement runabout... growing up in the 80's, all those little trucks... the vast majority were two-wheel drive and they were all tin can shit boxes... I'm not criticizing, everybody wanted one, just saying they were the most basic of transportation/capability/comfort.... IMO it's not gonna matter what's underneath this Ford, none of those utility trucks was built to bash it's way up a mountain, most had itty-bitty tires on them..

just sayin'..
Link Posted: 6/20/2021 3:14:15 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I cannot assess whether they are in their right minds or not, but people put big bikes in pickups all the time. Having been employed at multiple motorcycle dealerships, I saw it frequently. Helped load and unload many, often using ramps. So, I ask because I know that people do this. The bed of this one being a lot lower to the ground than a full-size pickup (I think) will make it more attractive as that will lessen the ramp angle.

Mind you, I own a small trailer for my bikes and such, but still, people will do it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I did it with my Shadow...granted, it only weighted 500+pounds, as opposed to my Roadmaster, which clocks in at 937 pounds. When I went to SLC, I only had one car, so I rode with my buddy in his truck and rented a U-Haul trailer to take my bike from Ft. Campbell to Ft. Rucker. Left the car with the wife. For the return trip, we skipped the trailer and loaded the bike in the back of his F150. Rode to a warehouse and asked to use their loading dock. When we got back to Clarksville, we stopped at the local H-D dealership and used their concrete ramp.
Link Posted: 6/24/2021 10:20:38 PM EDT
[#13]

I'm not a HUGE fan of caps/toppers/camper shells... though I did have a Softopper on my Taco... Sometimes they can look good. I like the ones that are level with the cab... the ones that get taller don't look that good to me. That's just my preference, though.

Options and equipment are a great thing. I do hope that the Maverick does well, and that the format gains traction. Eventually I wouldn't mind having a compact sized truck, possibly a fully electric truck.
Link Posted: 6/25/2021 12:33:17 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I'm not a HUGE fan of caps/toppers/camper shells... though I did have a Softopper on my Taco... Sometimes they can look good. I like the ones that are level with the cab... the ones that get taller don't look that good to me. That's just my preference, though.

Options and equipment are a great thing. I do hope that the Maverick does well, and that the format gains traction. Eventually I wouldn't mind having a compact sized truck, possibly a fully electric truck.
View Quote

I don't like the look of high ceiling toppers either, but they are nice for a lot of stuff. If I had one I could fit my snowblower in the back without having to remove it.

Hitch cargo rack works fine, but enclosed would be nice.
Link Posted: 6/25/2021 12:39:59 AM EDT
[#15]
My brother-in-law had a Mazda pickup when I was a kid.  It was a solid, fun little vehicle.  And he put it to work.  A friend in high school drove a Jeep Comanche.  A friend of my dad still has a pre-Tacoma small Toyota pickup.  There used to be a lot of small trucks, and they filled a good niche.  I'm glad to see them trying to make a comeback.
Link Posted: 6/25/2021 12:43:54 AM EDT
[#16]
Godamn ! That's an ugly ass looking truck.
Link Posted: 6/25/2021 6:28:01 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Does the XLT have the keypad?
View Quote

On the F150, it's pre-wired for the keypad, and Ford will sell you one for about $40.  Install it yourself, and use Forscan to tell the computer to activate it.  Same with trailer brakes and most other options.  I imagine the Maverick will have the same architecture, all of the other Fords do.

As for (dumb) cruise control, it might be as simple as adding switches (new steering wheel) and using Forscan to tell it it has cruise control, but I can't say for sure.  Smart cruise control would require more hardware, of course.  I'd go to the Ford Escape forums and see how Ford does it on those, I imagine they will be pretty similar to what the Maverick will be.

I'm also adding remote start to my F150... it's a plug-in module, and new key, and a tweak on Forscan.
Link Posted: 6/25/2021 7:55:22 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

On the F150, it's pre-wired for the keypad, and Ford will sell you one for about $40.  Install it yourself, and use Forscan to tell the computer to activate it.  Same with trailer brakes and most other options.  I imagine the Maverick will have the same architecture, all of the other Fords do.

As for (dumb) cruise control, it might be as simple as adding switches (new steering wheel) and using Forscan to tell it it has cruise control, but I can't say for sure.  Smart cruise control would require more hardware, of course.  I'd go to the Ford Escape forums and see how Ford does it on those, I imagine they will be pretty similar to what the Maverick will be.

I'm also adding remote start to my F150... it's a plug-in module, and new key, and a tweak on Forscan.
View Quote

Yup.  With Forscan, you can just about turn a XL into a Platinum once you add the hard parts
Link Posted: 6/25/2021 8:04:19 AM EDT
[#19]
Boy has the Maverick changed. My late father had a 1969 Disestablishment Green Maverick (hey it was the 1960's). A childhood friend of his had a white one with a special order lower gear ratio to handle the hills and mountains in his part of Connecticut. There were three different transmission options: standard, auto and semi-auto I also remember the Mercury Comet looked a lot like the Maverick.

Link Posted: 6/25/2021 10:13:22 AM EDT
[#20]
Out of all these new small SUVs and trucks, the only one I really want is, strangely, the Suzuki Jimny.  The world of automobiles has truly passed me by.
Link Posted: 6/25/2021 10:30:23 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Out of all these new small SUVs and trucks, the only one I really want is, strangely, the Suzuki Jimny.  The world of automobiles has truly passed me by.
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/25/2021 11:50:13 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Exactly

I could totally go for this thing, it'd even make a great commuter but it'd be more useful to me with an extended cab and a full size bed. Maybe one of those truck bed extender cage thingys for the tailgate would make up for that cutesy 4.5 bed
View Quote

Now that my my 3 kids are no longer in massive car seats, I might just be able to fit everyone in one of these.  I'm no longer messing around on the family farm/ranch all of the time and if I need to do something there, I can always use the farm truck or a tractor.....hmmm  Maybe I don't need a full size truck right now.  
It is nice that you can haul some plywood size sheets in it, but I could do that in my wife's minivan too...  What I really like having a truck for is for taller objects and nasty stuff...but I'm no longer hauling bundles of t-posts, drill stem, barbwire, bags of seed, portable welders etc around.

I've been trying to decide between keeping my old truck and maybe getting a smallish SUV (don't really want to pay for a large one since my truck is full 4-door) or another truck (pricing has just got plain stupid).  I am not tied down to the "got to have X to be manly" crap.  If something does what i need, then thats fine.  Hell, I don't mind driving the minivan around town since it is a great tool for groceries, quick hardware store runs etc...  

I guess one these might just work, but I wouldn't mind a 4x4 one with a longer bed than 4.5" though.  Would make for a great commuter, but would also work for a weekend hobby "truck", such as heading over to the beach for some surf fishing.  It would be great if my rods and other gear would fit..or maybe kayak.

I think I would like a 6"ish foot bed.  I'm not even sure my pop-up canopy would fit in the little bed.
Link Posted: 7/12/2021 2:48:38 PM EDT
[#23]
Hyundai came out with the pricing for their Santa Cruz
https://www.hyundaiusa.com/us/en/vehicles/2022-santa-cruz

SE - $23,990
SEL - $27,190
SEL Premium - $35,680

I don't think it will do to well against the Maverick.
Link Posted: 7/12/2021 2:51:24 PM EDT
[#24]
Milnes Ford got a SURPRISE Sneak Peek of the 2022 Ford Maverick

Milnes Ford SNEAK PEEK of the 2022 Ford Maverick in color Area 51
Link Posted: 7/12/2021 4:19:37 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
This is the model/paint job of the Maverick my parents had back in the early 80's when I was in high school.  I think it was a V6 if I remember correctly.

https://img.hmn.com/900x0/stories/2018/10/1976-Stallion.jpg
View Quote

they had a 302 Maverick too.
Link Posted: 7/12/2021 7:51:01 PM EDT
[#26]

looks good on those videos... better than the produced one's IMO.
Link Posted: 7/13/2021 12:45:35 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

SE - $23,990
SEL - $27,190
SEL Premium - $35,680

View Quote

Yeah, my coworker and I (who work at a Hyundai dealership) lost our boners once pricing was announced.

Link Posted: 7/13/2021 12:51:43 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Yeah, my coworker and I (who work at a Hyundai dealership) lost our boners once pricing was announced.

View Quote

It's sort of in line where I was thinking it would end up. And it just reinforces my argument that unless you absolutely need the slightly smaller size a Ridgeline will do everything better for the same price.
Link Posted: 7/13/2021 8:59:35 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

SE - $23,990
SEL - $27,190
SEL Premium - $35,680

View Quote

I agree. And if you’re going to have a unibody truck it has to be a Ford. Not a Hyundai.
Link Posted: 7/13/2021 9:08:32 AM EDT
[#30]
I factory ordered a Gladiator with manual windows & locks, manual transmission, etc.  Saved at least $8K over the cheapest one any local dealer lot.  Got the exact upgrades I wanted (e.g. leather seats).  The only question now is will it ever be delivered!  Who needs all those bells and whistles?  Not me.

Link Posted: 7/13/2021 9:10:08 AM EDT
[#31]
I had a '73 Maverick.  Can't say it was unreliable, but it was rusted out in 2-3 years....
Link Posted: 7/13/2021 10:49:04 AM EDT
[#32]
Be a lot cooler with a diesel engine.
Link Posted: 7/13/2021 6:19:41 PM EDT
[#33]
https://www.motor1.com/news/519752/2022-hyundai-santa-cruz-price/

Hyundai offers five different trims for the Santa Cruz, versus just three from Ford (excluding the limited-run First Edition). Hyundai also separates its three core trims (SE, SEL, and SEL Activity) by front-wheel drive and all-wheel drive. So while the initial reaction to Hyundai's expensive Santa Cruz is indeed shocking, a closer look at mid-range trim levels suggests the trucks are far more comparable. That's likely where the vast majority of sales will fall; this general pricing chart for Santa Cruz and Maverick offers a glimpse of that strategy.
View Quote

Might not be as terrible as I thought...
Link Posted: 7/13/2021 6:53:47 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

https://www.motor1.com/news/519752/2022-hyundai-santa-cruz-price/

Might not be as terrible as I thought...
View Quote

They invented a tall Subaru Baja.  Though the Satan Cruz starts a full $10k more than the Maverick...
Link Posted: 7/14/2021 1:38:06 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I'd be scared to hang that name on another vehicle.   Sort of like calling it an Edsel PU.
View Quote

I think most buyers now have little or no memory of the original.
Link Posted: 7/14/2021 3:01:42 PM EDT
[#36]
First edition:
You Haven't Seen This Ford Maverick Yet: Check Out What Makes This First Edition Special!
Link Posted: 7/14/2021 3:20:14 PM EDT
[#37]
I've read a few posts on other forums than the Maverick supposedly has more interior room than the current Ranger. I was not expecting that, I thought it would be little bit smaller. I think this with hybrid will be a great road trip vehicle.
Link Posted: 7/14/2021 3:49:25 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I've read a few posts on other forums than the Maverick supposedly has more interior room than the current Ranger. I was not expecting that, I thought it would be little bit smaller. I think this with hybrid will be a great road trip vehicle.
View Quote

Unibody and transverse engine mean less wasted interior volume.
Link Posted: 7/14/2021 6:28:45 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
In the rear passenger area, yes, the Maverick is a tiny bit bigger than the current Ranger. However, the driver and front passenger have noticeably less room than the current Ranger.

So in terms of driver comfort, Ranger wins. On paper and in the rear passenger area, the Maverick wins.

https://www.motortrend.com/news/2022-ford-maverick-ranger-spec-comparison/

But in terms of roominess, it's comparable to the new Ranger, only lacking a bit in terms of front headroom.Otherwise, it's solidly on parcomparing SuperCrew Ranger to Maverick like-to-like, the Maverick has a rear legroom and rear headroom advantage. In total, the Maverick has 100.3 cubic feet of passenger volume to the 97.6 cubes of the Ranger SuperCrew.

Link Posted: 7/14/2021 6:41:41 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I hope compact trucks return. These mid sized trucks are silly.
View Quote

Mid size trucks are about the same size as full size 25 or so years ago.  The new full size are ridiculous how large they have become.
Link Posted: 7/17/2021 1:07:45 AM EDT
[#41]
Here's what I ordered. 40mpg, seats 4 comfortably, it replaces my diesel car while getting better MPGs, tows as much as my old XJ, heated seats and steering wheel for my wife, great little rig it looks.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 7/17/2021 1:31:27 AM EDT
[#42]
They should have just retooled the 83-85 Ranger with a modern 2.3. And boxed the frame. Winner winner!!!
Link Posted: 7/17/2021 2:06:21 AM EDT
[#45]
Is that battery mounted under the back seat?
Link Posted: 7/17/2021 2:37:34 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

On the hybrid it is. When you lift up the back seat there is an enclosure built into the storage area to access it.
Link Posted: 7/17/2021 2:38:59 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes, thr battery is under the rear passenger seat. On the 2.0L EcoBoost motor version, there is a second cargo cubby in its place instead.
Link Posted: 7/17/2021 2:42:44 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Should make a mustang with a truck bed.

Did Ford ever have their version of an El Camino?
View Quote

El Rancho
Link Posted: 7/17/2021 2:51:56 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

On the hybrid it is. When you lift up the back seat there is an enclosure built into the storage area to access it.
View Quote

Normally, that's not a bad location to avoid exposing it to engine compartment temperatures.

However, in this case, it looks like they located it about 2 inches away from the exhaust system...
Link Posted: 7/18/2021 3:17:15 PM EDT
[#50]
A couple more videos showing these off.

Premium Trim Maverick Lariat FX4 Off Road 2022 Ford AWD Truck

2022 Ford Maverick: This Compact Truck Has a Surprising Amount of Storage
Page / 20
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top