Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 20
Link Posted: 10/5/2021 12:21:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

The Ranger has a 2200lb-3000lb payload rating in the rest of the world.  Ford nerfs the US version's payload to make the vastly more profitable F-150 look like more of an upgrade.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They made the ranger too big IMO.

The Ranger has a 2200lb-3000lb payload rating in the rest of the world.  Ford nerfs the US version's payload to make the vastly more profitable F-150 look like more of an upgrade.

That's absurd.

There's different standards in different markets. Hauling and "caravaning" around at 45 MPH on global roads is a completely different animal than loading up and burning down US interstates at 70+ MPH.

Also, go sit in a Ranger and a F-150 and try convincing yourself the F-150 needs help to look like an upgrade. The Ranger has a cramped shitbox interior that can't comfortably carry adults in the rear seat, the rear seat doesn't have split folding, and there's no flat cargo space back there. The F-150's interior is spacious, versatile, and it gets downright luxurious really quick.

Also, the 2.3L EB I4 is an aluminum block, DI only engine that is unlikely to hold up as well as even the lower tier 3.3L V6 and 2.7L EB in the F-150 with any kind of actual use.
Link Posted: 10/5/2021 12:28:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

The straight pipes drove it 3 days ago.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmcQX8DGdTI
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Media embargo on driving reviews will likely be lifted tomorrow morning.

They got their example from a dealer instead of Ford themselves. I'm sure that will go well for Ford's media relations folks.

Other reviews are out now:

2022 Ford Maverick | Review & Road Test

2022 Ford Maverick First Drive Review
Link Posted: 10/5/2021 12:59:33 PM EDT
[#3]
I Finally Tow with the New Ford Maverick — and It's Completely Not What I Expected!
Link Posted: 10/5/2021 1:10:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

That's absurd.

There's different standards in different markets. Hauling and "caravaning" around at 45 MPH on global roads is a completely different animal than loading up and burning down US interstates at 70+ MPH.

Also, go sit in a Ranger and a F-150 and try convincing yourself the F-150 needs help to look like an upgrade. The Ranger has a cramped shitbox interior that can't comfortably carry adults in the rear seat, the rear seat doesn't have split folding, and there's no flat cargo space back there. The F-150's interior is spacious, versatile, and it gets downright luxurious really quick.

Also, the 2.3L EB I4 is an aluminum block, DI only engine that is unlikely to hold up as well as even the lower tier 3.3L V6 and 2.7L EB in the F-150 with any kind of actual use.
View Quote

What's more likely to break drivetrain components? Driving under a heavy load on a slightly improved road surface, or a lighter load on a smooth interstate going faster?

Link Posted: 10/5/2021 1:19:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Damn I didnt think I was ever going to want a new vehicle again...
Link Posted: 10/5/2021 1:21:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

What's more likely to break drivetrain components? Driving under a heavy load on a slightly improved road surface, or a lighter load on a smooth interstate going faster?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's absurd.

People fixate on engine and drivetrain stuff, but those are secondary considerations when it comes to payload and towing specs.

Chassis, suspension, and brakes are all vastly more important, especially at any kind of speed.

Put 2,000+ lbs in the bed of a Ranger and an F-150, and drive US roads at US speeds, and you will notice a major difference.

Also, in the "global" context, we're talking about roads like this:

Link Posted: 10/5/2021 1:45:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Should make a mustang with a truck bed.

Did Ford ever have their version of an El Camino?
View Quote

Yes, the Ranchero.

ETA, Beaten 16 pages ago.

Link Posted: 10/5/2021 1:47:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote
Ranchero
Link Posted: 10/5/2021 1:51:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Finally! A vehicle for people that want less cargo space than a full size truck but want to retain the ability to let their cargo get rained on.
View Quote

Yep, fuck that short bed bullshit. If you can’t haul a mattress in it with the tailgate shut, I’ll pass.
Link Posted: 10/5/2021 2:00:54 PM EDT
[#10]
We just got our first one at our dealership yesterday. I'm pretty sure we got the first one in our area. XLT AWD with trailer tow and some other options. $29,950. I sold it in two hours. We are actually showing it to some other people for a couple days before he is picking it up. Works out for both of us.
Link Posted: 10/5/2021 4:06:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
We just got our first one at our dealership yesterday. I'm pretty sure we got the first one in our area. XLT AWD with trailer tow and some other options. $29,950. I sold it in two hours. We are actually showing it to some other people for a couple days before he is picking it up. Works out for both of us.
View Quote

Any idea of how many are in the pipeline?  Will they continue to be rare as hen's teeth?
Link Posted: 10/5/2021 4:27:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Yep, fuck that short bed bullshit. If you can’t haul a mattress in it with the tailgate shut, I’ll pass.
View Quote

Its almost like not everyone wants or needs the same thing.

A crew cab, ultra short bed pickup with a camper shell is about as perfect as it gets for most of my needs. Anything I can't haul in that, I will drag a trailer. Oddly enough, I spend a lot more time not hauling stuff than hauling stuff, and the little short thing fits down trails and two tracks fantastically.
Link Posted: 10/5/2021 4:41:12 PM EDT
[#14]
I really want to see one in person before I order one.

The dealers around me said they will call me when they get one in

Looking at a Base, 2.0L AWD with the max tow

Anyone know all the STANDARD differences between the XL and the XLT?
Link Posted: 10/5/2021 5:26:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

The XL does not have cruise control, the mirrors you have to manually adjust with your hands, and no rear seat cupholder armrest.
Link Posted: 10/5/2021 5:31:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Sadly, these are not compact trucks like the ones back in the day.

Compact trucks were body on frame, RWD or 4x4. Standard cab, extra cab or 4door (4 door in other countries but not here)

These are basically crossovers (unibody/FWD) with the back lopped off.
View Quote

That's what I was wondering about, that sucks.

They need a body over frame extended cab/6ft bed with the 2.3 ecoboost and a manual transmission, not this ridgeline BS.
Link Posted: 10/5/2021 5:52:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

The XL does not have cruise control, the mirrors you have to manually adjust with your hands, and no rear seat cupholder armrest.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The lack of cruise control is ridiculous but would be a deal killer for me. I won’t commute without it.
Link Posted: 10/5/2021 7:55:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

They need a body over frame extended cab/6ft bed with the 2.3 ecoboost and a manual transmission, not this ridgeline BS.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sadly, these are not compact trucks like the ones back in the day.

Compact trucks were body on frame, RWD or 4x4. Standard cab, extra cab or 4door (4 door in other countries but not here)

These are basically crossovers (unibody/FWD) with the back lopped off.

Other than a manual trans, that's called a Ranger. And honestly they're saving you from yourself by only offering the auto.
Link Posted: 10/5/2021 8:34:16 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

They got their example from a dealer instead of Ford themselves. I'm sure that will go well for Ford's media relations folks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHS7MnMAo-k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIgNoOm_N1E
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Media embargo on driving reviews will likely be lifted tomorrow morning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHS7MnMAo-k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIgNoOm_N1E

According to that second video it doesn’t  have a CVT. Can someone explain that wizardry to me?

I’m only interested in the hybrid, so I’d like to know more about that transmission.
Link Posted: 10/5/2021 8:40:18 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

According to that second video it doesn’t  have a CVT. Can someone explain that wizardry to me?

I’m only interested in the hybrid, so I’d like to know more about that transmission.
View Quote

Similar to what's in the Prius:

2004 - 2009 Prius P112 Hybrid Transaxle (eCVT) Operation
Link Posted: 10/5/2021 9:16:15 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

The lack of cruise control is ridiculous but would be a deal killer for me. I won’t commute without it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The XL also comes with steel wheels standard.   They actually look kind of cool.  

That was the #1 thing that turned me off the base model.  I'd just get that if it had CC, then again I like power windows.  You get more bed tie downs as well.  The Lariat just has more luxury features but nothing really substantial that you can't get on the XLT.
Link Posted: 10/5/2021 9:48:45 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote
If that's it I'll probably go with a XL. I been driving older cars since I started and all but one had the cruise controll not work so thats not a huge deal
Link Posted: 10/5/2021 10:13:14 PM EDT
[#23]
Styling is ass
Link Posted: 10/5/2021 11:22:31 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Anyone seen one in person yet?

I’m seeing several in stock at dealerships when searching inventory on Ford’s site.
View Quote

I've seen it in person and also sell the Hyundai Santa Cruz.

The Maverick is alright.

Smaller than I thought.

Styling is okay.

It definitely has the edge over the Santa Cruz when it comes to MSRP and price.

Just found out I can get friends and family on the Santa Cruz from Hyundai so that makes it a bit more attractive.
Link Posted: 10/6/2021 12:33:56 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 10/6/2021 10:23:00 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Styling is ass
View Quote

Nonsense.  It's fine for what it is.
Link Posted: 10/6/2021 11:36:44 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I’m seeing several in stock at dealerships when searching inventory on Ford’s site.
View Quote

Yes at a dealer in Colorado. It's a vehicle for people who want a car that can haul a lawn mower.
Link Posted: 10/6/2021 11:55:22 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Any idea of how many are in the pipeline?  Will they continue to be rare as hen's teeth?
View Quote

We have two retails and one stock unit scheduled to be built as of right now. So you probably won't see many available on dealer lots for a while. One or two maybe.
Link Posted: 10/6/2021 11:56:09 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Yes at a dealer in Colorado. It's a vehicle for people who want a car that can haul a lawn mower.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What's wrong with that?   But you are deliberately ignoring the actual capacity of the bed.  It's designed so you can lay 4x8's in the bed with the tailgate down.  It's exactly wide enough.  Is this somehow a problem?  Sounds pretty awesome to me.
Link Posted: 10/6/2021 1:02:25 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

What's wrong with that?   But you are deliberately ignoring the actual capacity of the bed.  It's designed so you can lay 4x8's in the bed with the tailgate down.  It's exactly wide enough.  Is this somehow a problem?  Sounds pretty awesome to me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Think the video I watched yesterday said you could carry 15-16 sheets of half inch plywood... seems pretty solid load
Link Posted: 10/6/2021 1:04:39 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmHpSyTsfm0
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmHpSyTsfm0

Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/6/2021 1:06:27 PM EDT
[#32]
Wrong thread.
Link Posted: 10/6/2021 1:06:38 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sounds great!
Link Posted: 10/6/2021 1:07:43 PM EDT
[#34]
When I go to the Ford site they list a couplea dozen available in my area?
Link Posted: 10/6/2021 1:08:59 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

Ford’s website will also show those in transit to dealers, you’ll have to visit the dealers website for a slightly more accurate report of available.
Link Posted: 10/6/2021 1:21:43 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Ford’s website will also show those in transit to dealers, you’ll have to visit the dealers website for a slightly more accurate report of available.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep.

I just stopped at the local Ford dealer and asked, they said it’s in transit.
Link Posted: 10/6/2021 3:04:02 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Think the video I watched yesterday said you could carry 15-16 sheets of half inch plywood... seems pretty solid load
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

For what it is, it seems very well thought out.    All I need is a reasonably efficient daily driver that I can use to go buy a new stove or easy chair and haul a trailer when I have to help my kids move at college. They are even saying the back seat isn't too cramped.  Being able to carry my wife and kids while I do so is a major bonus.   For me an F150 or even a Frontier would be overkill.
Link Posted: 10/6/2021 3:07:15 PM EDT
[#38]
Any larger guys sat in one yet? Will my arm touch the door like a frontier?
Link Posted: 10/6/2021 4:21:29 PM EDT
[#39]
Gayer than the Ridgeline or the Bronco sport
Link Posted: 10/6/2021 4:36:27 PM EDT
[#40]
The XLT highlights are listed on the second image on this page ...

Maverick Truck Club
Link Posted: 10/6/2021 5:03:23 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

The Mustang conversion with a truck bed.
1966 Mustang Mustero
Converted by dealer in Beverly Hills, approved by Ford.
Link Posted: 10/6/2021 5:14:59 PM EDT
[#42]
I am not a small truck guy.  But I like the looks of that "truck" thing.

If I hadn't just bought the wife a new car in May, I'd be trying to get her interested in one of those.  

I like the idea of that little turbo charged 4 cyl. with the 8 spd. automatic and all wheel drive for a winter car for her and a run around town shopping car any time of the year.  Our other two cars are 2 dr. coupes and while fun to drive, you can't really take more than one person shopping with you (unless they are very small.)
Link Posted: 10/6/2021 5:25:29 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

Ranchero
Link Posted: 10/6/2021 8:41:32 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

If I hadn't just bought the wife a new car in May, I'd be trying to get her interested in one of those.  

I like the idea of that little turbo charged 4 cyl. with the 8 spd. automatic and all wheel drive for a winter car for her and a run around town shopping car any time of the year.  Our other two cars are 2 dr. coupes and while fun to drive, you can't really take more than one person shopping with you (unless they are very small.)
View Quote

It really seems to hit all the notes for combining economy and practicality.  For people that don't want or need a full sized truck this thing is ideal.   We live in kind of dense suburbia and a big truck would be a liability most of the time unless you need it for work.
Link Posted: 10/6/2021 9:03:05 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

It really seems to hit all the notes for combining economy and practicality.  For people that don't want or need a full sized truck this thing is ideal.   We live in kind of dense suburbia and a big truck would be a liability most of the time unless you need it for work.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

yeah it's fairly ideal... the price is annoying because I have a car that's nearly paid off.. it's great car, fun and has a massive trunk but it's a coupe that isn't hugely practical in a homeowner sense... bought a 50" TV the other day @ Costco, took me about 10 minutes to figure out how to get it into the car ... this "truck" is affordable enough it's got me thinking of jumping even tho I have a great vehicle already... this would just be much more practical, and IMO it's great looking..
Link Posted: 10/12/2021 10:05:26 AM EDT
[#46]
Just saw one for the first time. Heading the opposite direction on the highway, so I only got a brief glance. After reflecting on what I saw, it actually was bigger than I expected. I was expecting it to look a lot smaller in traffic.
Link Posted: 10/12/2021 10:13:59 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Your friend should try going to a car wash every once in awhile.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
A friend has a  2005 ford pickup with 70,000 miles that is garage kept...it and its rusted frame are headed to the junkyard...F Ford!

Your friend should try going to a car wash every once in awhile.

Salted roads have always done this.
Link Posted: 10/12/2021 10:15:28 AM EDT
[#48]
I saw one in the wild last night.  Honestly, I thought it was a RidgeLine until I saw the Ford symbol.

I'll pass.
Link Posted: 10/12/2021 10:19:17 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 10/12/2021 11:06:16 AM EDT
[#50]
Page / 20
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top