Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 3/10/2020 12:13:52 AM EDT
link

COO Jim Farley and other executives showed off the still-unnamed pickup to roughly 100 of its highest-volume retailers at a multiday event in Tucson last month, according to some who attended. Ford has indicated to retailers the vehicle will be priced under $20,000, dealers told Automotive News, making it roughly $5,000 less expensive than the base version of the Ranger midsize pickup. One dealer said the sides of the vehicle resembled that of the original Ranger.

The small pickup, codenamed P758, is expected to be built at Ford’s plant in Hermosillo, Mexico, and have an annual volume of more than 100,000, suppliers have been told.
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 12:18:28 AM EDT
[#1]
It'll be a Ford Fiesta hatchback with no hatchback door.
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 12:53:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It'll be a Ford Fiesta hatchback with no hatchback door.
View Quote
Pretty sure it will not be body on frame rear wheel drive.
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 3:15:03 AM EDT
[#3]
It may actually find an untapped market.
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 3:17:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote
Lots of fleet vehicles for sure. Like parts store runner trucks, small delivery, small construction vehicle. I agree.
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 3:27:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote
I don't know why they ever moved away from small PU options. My first was a 78 Datsun. I've also owned a later Nissan and a Toyota. I love my crew Titan, but the munchkin PUs had their place.
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 3:32:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Considering that locals drive around with a camel in the back of their mini trucks.  I think these could fit the bill for alot of people
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 3:35:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I don't know why they ever moved away from small PU options. My first was a 78 Datsun. I've also owned a later Nissan and a Toyota. I love my crew Titan, but the munchkin PUs had their place.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
How about some Chevy luv?

Link Posted: 3/10/2020 3:45:32 AM EDT
[#8]
Ford has indicated to retailers the vehicle will be priced under $20,000
View Quote
I'm sure the retailers were absolutely thrilled to hear that.

What's the dealer profit on a $20K econo-truck - Maybe about one-twentieth of what it is for a King Ranch F150?
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 5:39:37 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote
People who haven't yet experienced the tidalwave of recall notices you get after you aquire cheap Ford fleet vehicles.
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 5:56:24 AM EDT
[#10]
A true SMALL truck aka S10/ranger/gen1 tacoma is exactly what I've been asking for.

Sometimes you don't need a brodozer with a unreachably high bed to haul a couple tools or bags of compost.
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 7:01:15 AM EDT
[#11]
I'd consider one. There are a few times when I need to haul stuff but don't want to be bothered driving a big truck the rest of the year.
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 7:12:47 AM EDT
[#12]
I've seen several comments here from people wishing there was a small truck available again.  My ex BIL drove a small Mazda truck for years, and it was very handy.  A friend of my dad still drives a small Nissan truck.
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 7:18:06 AM EDT
[#13]
Spec depending, they might get me.

I had a 96 dakota and LOVED it. Have a buddy still driving his early ranger.  Smaller truck with a decent power plate that is capable will sell well if they do it like makers used too!
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 7:46:51 AM EDT
[#14]
Sounds like a good truck for my teenager !!!
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 7:52:18 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 7:55:49 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

What's the dealer profit on a $20K econo-truck - Maybe about one-twentieth of what it is for a King Ranch F150?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I’m going out on a limb and assuming there will be different consumer pools for those two ends of the spectrum.
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 7:59:05 AM EDT
[#17]
It will fill the void left by the Mahindra truck debacle. There is a market for a basic vehicle if they can get some kind of exemption for all the NHTSA mandates like TPMS etc. Put a small diesel in it and they will sell even more. Even if it's a unibody.
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 8:00:23 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Smart move by Ford.

The Super-Duty-Grocery-Getter will go the way of the Hummer in the next couple years.

Not sure which automotive fad will take over next, but there will be one.
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 8:01:11 AM EDT
[#19]
...and everyone will complain about how small it is...
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 8:09:33 AM EDT
[#20]
unibody Ford Escape-truck
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 8:09:54 AM EDT
[#21]
I drove a Mazda B2200 for years.  Give me a couple more years to pay off my daily driver and I'd make a new mini-truck my second car.
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 8:10:56 AM EDT
[#22]
Probably to compete with Ram... Seen a few of these on the road the past year.

Link Posted: 3/10/2020 8:12:42 AM EDT
[#23]
In before Youtuber does an LS swap.
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 8:14:20 AM EDT
[#24]
Ford Courier
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 8:15:38 AM EDT
[#25]
Now the Arfcommers who have been clamoring for this will have to dream up excuses of why it's garbage and how they actually don't want it.

ETA: I'm actually really interested in seeing what they come up with.
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 8:17:38 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I've seen several comments here from people wishing there was a small truck available again.  My ex BIL drove a small Mazda truck for years, and it was very handy.  A friend of my dad still drives a small Nissan truck.
View Quote
My 87 Ranger was the perfect vehicle, slap the little Eco boost in one of those and it would get 35mpg and be fast as hell.
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 8:21:17 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Now the Arfcommers who have been clamoring for this will have to dream up excuses of why it's garbage and how they actually don't want it.

View Quote
Oh it will be a cheap fucker, front drive unibody junk but it is sort of what we need. Except we need the 87 size body on frame solid axle  4x4 transfer case with a modern engine, rest of it was perfect.
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 8:23:05 AM EDT
[#28]
I learned to drive a stick in one of those!  They will always have a special place in my heart.
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 8:24:38 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Smart move by Ford.

The Super-Duty-Grocery-Getter will go the way of the Hummer in the next couple years.

View Quote
I'm inclined to agree.  At least for the suburban-soccer-mom and white-collar-dad-trying-to-project-he's-still-a-man crowd.

The Chads will cling onto them for a bit more until they get fed up with the impractical nature of them and move on to some other platform.
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 8:30:05 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I'm inclined to agree.  At least for the suburban-soccer-mom and white-collar-dad-trying-to-project-he's-still-a-man crowd.

The Chads will cling onto them for a bit more until they get fed up with the impractical nature of them and move on to some other platform.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Smart move by Ford.

Around my AO, the Chad's loved them some brodozers, until they had to put 4 tires on their new truck...
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 8:34:21 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Around my AO, the Chad's loved them some brodozers, until they had to put 4 tires on their new truck...
View Quote
What do you mean they're 400 dollars each?  My unemployment bennies can't cover that
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 8:38:17 AM EDT
[#32]
I'd buy one.

Of course they will fuck it up with two row seating and you will end-up with a 5' or shorter bed.

Bench seats and a manual transmission should be standard.
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 8:42:31 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
A true SMALL truck aka S10/ranger/gen1 tacoma is exactly what I've been asking for.

Sometimes you don't need a brodozer with a unreachably high bed to haul a couple tools or bags of compost.
View Quote
Since around 1985 I have had either a ranger or toyota pickup in my life.

I have a 98 tacoma as a secondary vehicle which I may never get rid of, my dd is a 10 tacoma.
The small trucks have gotten so far away from what originally made them useful, there really is no legit reason to buy one over a half ton pu anymore.
I seriously doubt my next rig will be a (current) ranger or taco.

If I could buy a new version of a '88-'92 ranger for under $20, I'd probably pick up two.
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 8:45:36 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

If Ford really wants to get behind that little truck they will incentivize the hell out of it to dealers.

Back in the nineties, Rangers with an R10 body code (reg cab 4x2) were incentivized like crazy. At one point each unit had $500 stair step money (back end rebate) to dealers, lease programs by way of higher residual and subsidized lease rate, and free equipment (flareside box, A/C etc). The salespeople used to get $75-$200 spins on every unit sold at one point as well.

The dealer I worked for used to lease 4x2 reg cabs with A/C and flareside box for $129/mos with no money down. At that price we used to sell them like popcorn. A customer could pick one up and park it in the garage next to the snowblower

If Ford wants to move these trucks they will sweeten the deal for dealers to order them in large quantities and push them.
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 8:48:37 AM EDT
[#35]
It will appeal to people who think the Honda Ridgeline is too much truck.
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 8:49:57 AM EDT
[#36]
At that price point I expect it to be underwhelming.

I feel like between the Tacoma, Colorado and ranger the small pickup market is already buttoned down.

With Tacoma being my favorite in that class
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 8:50:47 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote
Perhaps on the coasts, but there is still a WHOLE LOTTA country in the middle where people pull trailers.
Super Duty's aint goin anywhere.
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 8:53:20 AM EDT
[#38]
It is possible to make an economical and lighter truck if dealers quit pushing the ton of unnecessary shit that buyers later believe they absolutely need.

So yeah, their base truck will be $19,995.  By the time you add all the shit you "need", $33,876.
They do sell regular cab, no frills 2WD.
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 8:54:01 AM EDT
[#39]
Not a big Ford fan, but looking forward to seeing it. I really like compact trucks, always hauling stuff, but not a lot of towing.
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 8:56:47 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I have a 98 tacoma as a secondary vehicle which I may never get rid of, my dd is a 10 tacoma.
The small trucks have gotten so far away from what originally made them useful, there really is no legit reason to buy one over a half ton pu anymore.

If I could buy a new version of a '88-'92 ranger for under $20, I'd probably pick up two.
View Quote
Amen, brother.

A bed that you can actually access without climbing in is a luxury few remember.  If this doesn't pan out I'll probably have to get a flat bed.

This is what actually draws my ire from the brodozers more than anything else.  Sure it "looks" like a truck, but with four doors, bed height out of reach and bed length that couldn't fit a case of beer... it is essentially a jacked up four door sedan on 39" super swampers without a trunk lid ffs.

When work trucks became a symbol of virtue signaling, the practicality of the truck concept died
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 8:56:47 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcQr4VO3WI0k1_OHlBKwZ56ckLaeEUMahLz_SqjPeYqDqj5-qID7
View All Quotes
Quoted:

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcQr4VO3WI0k1_OHlBKwZ56ckLaeEUMahLz_SqjPeYqDqj5-qID7
So they're bring back the Sport Trac? Lol that'll flop so hard.

Quoted:

QFT. It won't have bench seats or dumbass crank windows or something
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 8:57:09 AM EDT
[#42]
You can buy an F-150 for 20k....new.

18k brand new...

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/789626349/overview/

22k 4wd
https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/792980714/overview/
But according to GD it has to many options and they wont buy it.
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 9:00:44 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Perhaps on the coasts, but there is still a WHOLE LOTTA country in the middle where people pull trailers.
Super Duty's aint goin anywhere.
View Quote
Very true.  I'm talking about the folks that would be better suited with a minivan.  The urban/suburban folks who have nothing to pull or anything to haul.

Mid-america will always need a way to haul.
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 9:01:54 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
You can buy an F-150 for 20k....new.
View Quote
Shush damnit, you can't buy a truck under $55k nowadays.
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 9:04:04 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
It is possible to make an economical and lighter truck if dealers quit pushing the ton of unnecessary shit that buyers later believe they absolutely need.

So yeah, their base truck will be $19,995.  By the time you add all the shit you "need", $33,876.
They do sell regular cab, no frills 2WD.
View Quote
Yep.   Oh you want the plow prep package.......yea the XL package is the only way that comes.   Seriously,.....a business looking for a fleet style utility truck doesn’t need the XL trim package.   Just forcing the price up.
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 9:04:42 AM EDT
[#46]
Don’t get me wrong, I believe a lot of people would be better off driving a mini truck like this, and save a fair bit of money.

But this thing won’t sell. Guys that drive trucks want to have the capability, or at least pretend they have the ability to tow and haul. Not that there’s anything wrong with that, a lot of guys do end up hauling or towing occasionally. And since most people are making payments anyhow, why wouldn’t you pay the extra 100 bucks a month or so to get the increased capability?
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 9:05:33 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Amen, brother.

A bed that you can actually access without climbing in is a luxury few remember.  If this doesn't pan out I'll probably have to get a flat bed.

This is what actually draws my ire from the brodozers more than anything else.  Sure it "looks" like a truck, but with four doors, bed height out of reach and bed length that couldn't fit a case of beer... it is essentially a jacked up four door sedan on 39" super swampers without a trunk lid ffs.

When work trucks became a symbol of virtue signaling, the practicality of the truck concept died
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Amen, brother.

I would be happy with a bed like the Home Depot rental truck.....with drop sides as well as the tailgate.
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 9:10:01 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Shush damnit, you can't buy a truck under $55k nowadays.
View Quote
GD will be mad that it its roll up windows dont have vents or something....the 20k mini truck isnt what people want.

They want a comfortable capable daily driver, that can run errands, haul the boat,  with the family, get shit from lowes, go to the hunting camp....all with leather and a moonroof, with 400hp that gets 20mpg.

The true sweet spot are the Xl or base XLT trucks imo, I think mine is perfect....but doesnt have any of the super luxury stuff that demands a premium, but accels in function.....and It was 34k(XLT FX4 3.5EB supercab and a 6.7 box) brand new.
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 9:21:09 AM EDT
[#49]
In before Ford pulls the plug because all the people that have been begging for an OG Ranger sized pickup still don't go out and buy one.
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 9:23:35 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
My 87 Ranger was the perfect vehicle, slap the little Eco boost in one of those and it would get 35mpg and be fast as hell.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I had one of those too.  The straight four in it was gutless but damn near indestructible.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top