Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 12:03:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

3.3l NA V6? God that would be miserable to drive
View Quote
Yup, what many seem to miss.
Power to weight is a thing, you can put a tiny 4banger in a mini truck, it'll get great mileage and still be useful.
Put an asthmatic 6 in a full size truck and next thing you know you have to discount them $15k and people still wont buy them.
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 12:04:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

View Quote
Isnt that the idea?  A 5.0 with 4x4 gets closer to 27 or 28k as it's a truck people actually buy....I was just illustrating that inexpensive basic fleet style trucks are avalible if you look.

Also with 3.73s I bet that little 6 is fine...3.31s blehh
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 12:04:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
A regular cab long box fs truck on 30" tires is big??

If it was a 3/4T long box quad cab with HD Suspension on factory 35s yeah that's a big truck.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Still too big.

If it was a 3/4T long box quad cab with HD Suspension on factory 35s yeah that's a big truck.
Yes that's still a lot bigger than a lot of people want or need.
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 12:20:31 PM EDT
[#4]
I think the reason brodozers are so popular with four doors is because you CAN'T USE THE FUCKING BED.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 12:23:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yes, too big for how it's equipped.
Doesn't have enough power to haul what it's rated for, and gas mileage will suck because whoever is unlucky enough to have to drive that thing is going to be standing on it WOT at all times just to keep up with traffic.

That's one of the biggest advantages to a 1/4 ton truck, no, it's not going to haul as much as a 1/2 ton, but you dont need nearly as big a power plant to make them work.
Last time around they were a lot cheaper than full size and they made a lot of sense.

That' the problem with current small trucks, they are not different enough from full size trucks. If you're gonna have less power and load capabilities at about the same price why would you buy one?
Your ad illustrates the same issue, ford can't give those things away because a much more capable/desirable model is only a little more $$$.
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 12:23:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You can buy an F-150 for 20k....new.

18k brand new...

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/789626349/overview/

22k 4wd
https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/792980714/overview/
But according to GD it has to many options and they wont buy it.
290 HP 265 ftlbs

its basically a 90s V8
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 12:26:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Doesn't have enough power to haul what it's rated for, and gas mileage will suck because whoever is unlucky enough to have to drive that thing is going to be standing on it WOT at all times just to keep up with traffic.

That's one of the biggest advantages to a 1/4 ton truck, no, it's not going to haul as much as a 1/2 ton, but you dont need nearly as big a power plant to make them work.
Last time around they were a lot cheaper than full size and they made a lot of sense.

That' the problem with current small trucks, they are not different enough from full size trucks. If you're gonna have less power and load capabilities at about the same price why would you buy one?
Your ad illustrates the same issue, ford can't give those things away because a much more capable/desirable model is only a little more $$$.
View Quote
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 12:29:50 PM EDT
[#8]
I prefer a small truck. My favorite one was a '79 Datsun. It was easy to work on and got decent gas mileage.
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 12:31:49 PM EDT
[#9]
A bunch of people would love this, which is why they almost certainly won't do it.
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 12:34:43 PM EDT
[#10]
a lot of romanticism in this thread

I bought a stripper jeep a few years ago , soft everything , 4cly , no AC  6 spd

thought it would be awesome ...it wasn't
I traded it for a hardtop 6cly with AC in less than a year
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 12:35:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Lots of fleet vehicles for sure. Like parts store runner trucks, small delivery, small construction vehicle. I agree.
View Quote
Came to post this very thing.
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 12:38:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
290 HP 265 ftlbs

its basically a 90s V8
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

18k brand new...

22k 4wd
290 HP 265 ftlbs

its basically a 90s V8
I don’t know if it’s the same engine they put in the transit vans but I drive one of those with up to ten people and while it’s certainly not fast it does alright.
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 12:39:56 PM EDT
[#13]
so many of these are going to be lifted and end up in hawaii
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 12:43:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I bought a stripper jeep a few years ago , soft everything , 4cly , no AC  6 spd

View Quote
not everyone can drive a manual
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 12:45:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

manual wasn't the problem  60mh top speed , hurricane level of noise and sweating my ass off were
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 12:46:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote
True, which is why I would not buy a 90's era ranger or yota as a dd.
But if I could buy a modern manufactured version @ under $20k, that's a different story.
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 12:46:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote
It has damn near 300hp....put the right gears in the rear end and its fine.
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 12:51:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
so many of these are going to be lifted and end up in hawaii
View Quote
If chopped tiny trucks become a fad again, they could sell a bunch to young people.

That reminds me of the best bumper sticker I ever saw.  It was on an S10 that was chopped almost to the ground.

Link Posted: 3/10/2020 12:54:45 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yeah exactly. I'm not looking for a stripped down truck. I would like a small truck with decent mileage though.
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 1:00:02 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote
The trick is finding your happy medium.  I would love a simple Jeep but I would want, AC, manual and a 6 cylinder.
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 1:02:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Make it aluminum framed and aluminum bodied and it'll get 35mpg+; i know lots of older guys whose old rangers and S10s have rusted out and just need a pickup for hauling mulch, flowers, and garden veggies from home depot - they'll buy one.
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 1:10:19 PM EDT
[#22]
Id absolutely buy a new,  stripped down, no frills,  rubber floor matt, crank window 2 door with 4  4 door as a option, compact pick up, as long as it was under 20k. The lower priced, the better, geared for the . 31x10.50 tire size would be sweet. Make the target crowd off roaders, hunters, and work truck crowd. Basically a zr2 style compact truck.  The 4 door ford rangers i saw over seas were perfect.

My only requirements are 4 door, 4x4, ac/ heat,  and cheap. A winch / locker option would be nice as well.  Of course i know it will never happen with the safety regs we have now. Only real option is buy a a older ranger  and upgrade it,  or a used older tacoma.

Sigh.
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 1:14:16 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
GD will be mad that it its roll up windows dont have vents or something....the 20k mini truck isnt what people want.

They want a comfortable capable daily driver, that can run errands, haul the boat,  with the family, get shit from lowes, go to the hunting camp....all with leather and a moonroof, with 400hp that gets 20mpg.

The true sweet spot are the Xl or base XLT trucks imo, I think mine is perfect....but doesnt have any of the super luxury stuff that demands a premium, but accels in function.....and It was 34k(XLT FX4 3.5EB supercab and a 6.7 box) brand new.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Shush damnit, you can't buy a truck under $55k nowadays.
GD will be mad that it its roll up windows dont have vents or something....the 20k mini truck isnt what people want.

They want a comfortable capable daily driver, that can run errands, haul the boat,  with the family, get shit from lowes, go to the hunting camp....all with leather and a moonroof, with 400hp that gets 20mpg.

The true sweet spot are the Xl or base XLT trucks imo, I think mine is perfect....but doesnt have any of the super luxury stuff that demands a premium, but accels in function.....and It was 34k(XLT FX4 3.5EB supercab and a 6.7 box) brand new.
This.  I bought a used 2012 4x4 ford  fleet truck, with the 5.0 v8 and love it.  Ac/heat, cruise, power windows and rubber floors.  No extra crap i dont want, just the stuff to make it comfortable / usable. Id be happy without the power windows honestly.
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 1:16:41 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
This isn't the rebirth of the iconic 70s-80s mini truck.

It is a "truck" that was based on a tiny van that is based on a unibody FWD car.

Glad I have this.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/107869/IMG_1036_jpg-1309656.JPG
View Quote
I want one of those trucks. So hard to find and even then in good condition.
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 1:22:40 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I don't know if it's the same engine they put in the transit vans but I drive one of those with up to ten people and while it's certainly not fast it does alright.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

18k brand new...

22k 4wd
290 HP 265 ftlbs

its basically a 90s V8
I don't know if it's the same engine they put in the transit vans but I drive one of those with up to ten people and while it's certainly not fast it does alright.
Had a rental with one for a bit, it does ok.  I wouldn't pull a 6k lb trailer, but it did move out of its own way.

I recently dumped a 91 s10 with the 4.3, you want to talk about anemic?
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 1:23:17 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Isnt that the idea?  A 5.0 with 4x4 gets closer to 27 or 28k as it's a truck people actually buy....I was just illustrating that inexpensive basic fleet style trucks are avalible if you look.

Also with 3.73s I bet that little 6 is fine...3.31s blehh
View Quote
I speak from experience when I say a NA 3.5L in an F150, even with the 10 speed and 3.55s, is fucking miserable.

How did I acquire such a beast, you ask? Well... a turbo decided to vote for Bernie and it no longer wanted to work. The drive to the dealership included a few hills.... That was fun. And slow. Sooooooo slow.
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 1:24:09 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

The stealerships will add $2,500 for dealer-installed "paint protectant".  
View Quote
It's pinstripes, weatherguard floor mats and "lifetime" warranty for $1595 around here.
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 1:24:49 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
290 HP 265 ftlbs

its basically a 90s V8
View Quote
You have to look at where the power/TQ is... wayyyyyyyy up at the tippity-top of the tach.

At least the dog V8s of the 90s had something available without having to scream for it.
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 1:26:24 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Id absolutely buy a new,  stripped down, no frills,  rubber floor matt, crank window 2 door with 4  4 door as a option, compact pick up, as long as it was under 20k. The lower priced, the better, geared for the . 31x10.50 tire size would be sweet. Make the target crowd off roaders, hunters, and work truck crowd. Basically a zr2 style compact truck.  The 4 door ford rangers i saw over seas were perfect.

My only requirements are 4 door, 4x4, ac/ heat,  and cheap. A winch / locker option would be nice as well.  Of course i know it will never happen with the safety regs we have now. Only real option is buy a a older ranger  and upgrade it,  or a used older tacoma.

Sigh.
View Quote
So you want a brodozer.
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 1:48:50 PM EDT
[#30]
I drove this for 15 years till somebody ran a light and took out the front, miss it. Would change to an extended cab instead, liked the long bed at the time, but like more cab space now.

Link Posted: 3/10/2020 1:53:14 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 2:01:52 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

It has damn near 300hp....put the right gears in the rear end and its fine.
View Quote
Hp doesn't matter nearly as much a ft lbs, especially in a truck.
That hp (which is undoubtedly exaggerated) is measured at the crank, which is a long, power robbing, distance to the wheels.
Numbers on computer screens are fairly meaningless,
How much does it weigh?
How many ft lbs?
But more important is where does it produce those hp and ft lbs numbers? Between 2k and 3.5k, where they are useful?
Or does it make that up around 6 grand?
There is a reason ford (and others) has to give those away.
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 2:22:21 PM EDT
[#33]
2 door with AWD. Subaru Brat here we come.  I could do without a POS Ford dual clutch transmission. Hell a CVT would be better.
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 2:48:12 PM EDT
[#34]
Ford cant leave a good product alone and let it keep bringing money in. Lets remake the Ranger. Okay lets change the engine and fuck it up, lets make it unreliable for the first five years

My 94 V6 is still going. Its falling apart and about done but damn that been a good truck. I keep trying to find another decent priced one and they get snapped up fast.
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 7:08:51 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Sigh.
View Quote
And they'd sell like....5....

I think a small reasonably equipped truck would sell pretty well, but the vast majority of people aren't interested in what you describe. Most are going to want at least a basic entertainment system, power windows and AC at a minimum.
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 7:51:33 PM EDT
[#36]
any links to this truck out there?
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 8:28:42 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Hp doesn't matter nearly as much a ft lbs, especially in a truck.
That hp (which is undoubtedly exaggerated) is measured at the crank, which is a long, power robbing, distance to the wheels.
Numbers on computer screens are fairly meaningless,
How much does it weigh?
How many ft lbs?
But more important is where does it produce those hp and ft lbs numbers? Between 2k and 3.5k, where they are useful?
Or does it make that up around 6 grand?
There is a reason ford (and others) has to give those away.
View Quote
true, which is why i mentioned 3.73's as it would be more likely to keep it in the power band...which is probably like 250hp to the rear wheels, even though it may not get close to peak power.

I would never buy one of those 3.3V6 NA trucks, but for a shop truck to bomb around town, run little errands, or for basic repair jobs, haul basic shit.  I could see it being perfect....nobody is getting a speeding ticket in one of those lol
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 8:41:27 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Amen, brother.

A bed that you can actually access without climbing in is a luxury few remember.  If this doesn't pan out I'll probably have to get a flat bed.

This is what actually draws my ire from the brodozers more than anything else.  Sure it "looks" like a truck, but with four doors, bed height out of reach and bed length that couldn't fit a case of beer... it is essentially a jacked up four door sedan on 39" super swampers without a trunk lid ffs.

When work trucks became a symbol of virtue signaling, the practicality of the truck concept died
View Quote
Anecdote on the whole loading height thing.  4x2 suburbans were popular for coroner and ambulance duty until the whole idea of the box body ambulance really took hold in the early 90s.

GM knew this, and set the loaded ride height to be at the optimal height for two guys of average height to load heavy cargo (a casket or a patient).  This became an industry standard ride height for 4x2 vehicles right up until the early 00s.
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 10:26:51 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
The early 90s 4.0 rangers and 4.3 S-10s would hang with a stock mustang GT, and out run an auto Mustang GT.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
My 87 Ranger was the perfect vehicle, slap the little Eco boost in one of those and it would get 35mpg and be fast as hell.
The early 90s 4.0 rangers and 4.3 S-10s would hang with a stock mustang GT, and out run an auto Mustang GT.
Which isn't saying much
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 11:02:00 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I speak from experience when I say a NA 3.5L in an F150, even with the 10 speed and 3.55s, is fucking miserable.

How did I acquire such a beast, you ask? Well... a turbo decided to vote for Bernie and it no longer wanted to work. The drive to the dealership included a few hills.... That was fun. And slow. Sooooooo slow.
View Quote
The 4.9l I6 F150 I had way back when did better around town than the current 3.3l NA truck does.
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 11:24:22 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
The 4.9l I6 F150 I had way back when did better around town than the current 3.3l NA truck does.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My transit 10 passenger is a rocket ship compared to my 80 F-250 with the 300 six.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top