Nope, at my former Mechanic's shop.
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 9:09:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

That was a 72
View Quote

Attachment Attached File

I believe the same Green '72 Gran Torino was in Fast Five, the bad guy drove it.
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 9:12:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

And here is one that was stylistically light years ahead of its time. 1992 Mazda 929.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/309598/Screenshot_2023-08-29_090003_png-2936058.JPG

View Quote

My 3rd-4th grade teacher had a silver Mazda 929.
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 9:12:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Sterling

Attachment Attached File

Pulsar NX

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 9:13:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

The Karman Ghia was cool, but probably 60s, not 70s.

View Quote
Made until 74, though the 70's models weren't as good as the late 60's. I have a '72 convertible.

Link Posted: 8/29/2023 9:16:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

My 3rd-4th grade teacher had a silver Mazda 929.
View Quote

When they were 10 years old, a clean one could sit next to a new car and you would have a hard time telling which one was newer. I always thought they looked great for the times.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 8/29/2023 9:31:32 AM EDT
[#7]
I still want a red 2 door 1987 Pathfinder SE.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 9:40:55 AM EDT
[#8]
I lusted after those, looked better than the 4 Runners IMHO. When I met my wife she had a 87 SE V6 4x4 Pick up, it was a nibble little thing off road and you could just fit 3 dirt bikes in the bed if you loaded the middle bike backwards.
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 9:47:14 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I lusted after those, looked better than the 4 Runners IMHO. When I met my wife she had a 87 SE V6 4x4 Pick up, it was a nibble little thing off road and you could just fit 3 dirt bikes in the bed if you loaded the middle bike backwards.
View Quote

Time taught us that the Toyota was a better vehicle but the Pathfinder nailed the lines, proportion and stance.

That said, I wouldn't kick the 1st gen 4Runner out of bed.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 8/29/2023 10:04:35 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
This has to be posted again

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You spelled motorcycles wrong. My fun cars were '60's. The street motorcycles were '70's and '80's, with the most enjoyable ones being grey market 2 strokes.  This same model, only far from stock. https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/66656/FB_IMG_1657319209678_jpg-2935672.JPG
This has to be posted again

It was like riding a dirt bike on the street. It put an ear to ear grin on my face, Everytime I rode it. It was from Canada, and licensed in California. It had a kilometer only speedometer. That was fun at times. ??
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 11:10:08 AM EDT
[#11]

Had one, what a piece of trash! It vibrated badly at highway speeds, which the dealer never solved. You needed to turn the AC off to climb a hill if you were at low speeds. MPG was abysmal, as in mid-low teens. Still, they were crazy-popular at the time with great styling inside and out, and when I traded mine for an '84 Rx-7 GSL-SE (shoulda kept that one!) the dealer had people showing up to drive it before I was done with paperwork.
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 11:48:00 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Had one, what a piece of trash! It vibrated badly at highway speeds, which the dealer never solved. You needed to turn the AC off to climb a hill if you were at low speeds. MPG was abysmal, as in mid-low teens. Still, they were crazy-popular at the time with great styling inside and out, and when I traded mine for an '84 Rx-7 GSL-SE (shoulda kept that one!) the dealer had people showing up to drive it before I was done with paperwork.
View Quote

You had the v6? I don’t remember them being that weak but aside from Corvettes and 5.0 Mustangs, I guess everything across the board was down on power.
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 12:14:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

You had the v6? I don’t remember them being that weak but aside from Corvettes and 5.0 Mustangs, I guess everything across the board was down on power.
View Quote

I blew up a V6 in one.  Turns out they can't do 90mph for 500 miles.  We made it about 430miles and she gave up the ghost.  
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 12:25:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 12:31:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 12:46:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

That's the only way they came. Mine would have been an '87 or '88 model. IIRC, they got a good power boost a few years later.
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 12:48:05 PM EDT
[#17]

Is that a Sunbeam? Hard to tell from that angle.
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 12:48:53 PM EDT
[#18]
I owned an SVO mustang for a few weeks once.
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 1:12:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote
Looks like a Spitfire.
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 1:17:20 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

The 240Z was balanced so much better then the 260, and the 280 was just a fluffy shell of the original 240 no frills raw sports car.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Datsun 280Z
Doesn't really count as "forgotten".

The 240Z was balanced so much better then the 260, and the 280 was just a fluffy shell of the original 240 no frills raw sports car.
@mstennes

Not sure I'd call the 280Z fluffy. ZX sure. S30s got heavier over time.

The lightest 240z offered retail US were the Series I cars. Series IV were heavier due to FMVSS changes - structure (bumpers) and emissions. The heaviest of the S30 were the later (MY77-78) reinforced US cars, with the optional 5 speed and A/C  - roughly 500+ pounds difference between those and the Series I 240Z without either.  Depending on what unit /MY we are comparing, it's less. It would be over 700 pounds difference from something like Z432R or some other non-US market models that were lighter than the Series 1. Actual weights between Series IV 240z and early 280z are closer than many would think. I'm ignoring the 2+2 cars.

Bit more than half the difference was another FMVSS safety update  (similar to the S31 in Japan) - bumpers and mounts, door, door frame and chassis reinforcements. There was a bit more metal in much as issues were identified. The rest was mechanical  L28/R 200/FS5, FI, but there's also some in appointments, insulation and deadening. Less than 100 for this last 3 is what I recall.

Popular 240Z swap was L28(head swapped or not) /FS5/R200/which made the 240Z less light than stock, not much tho. Stock, there's also a preference for the stiffer late 280Z. Mass has consequences, but there's a number of ways to mitigate. The weight thing is overblown in my opinion.

Link Posted: 8/29/2023 1:17:43 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Looks like a Spitfire.
View Quote

Yeah, that was my other choice, but it doesn't look right, could be the angle.
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 1:18:05 PM EDT
[#22]
Gentlemen, I give you....The Chevy Love:

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 8/29/2023 1:21:26 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
@mstennes

The lightest 240z offered retail US were the Series I cars. Series IV were heavier due to FMVSS changes - structure (bumpers) and emissions. The heaviest of the S30 were the later (MY77-78) reinforced US cars, with the optional 5 speed and A/C  - roughly 500+ pounds difference between those and the Series I 240Z without either.  Depending on what unit /MY we are comparing, it's less. It would be over 700 pounds difference from something like Z432R or some other non-US market models that were lighter than the Series 1. Actual weights between Series IV 240z and early 280z are closer than many would think. I'm ignoring the 2+2 cars.

Bit more than half the difference was another FMVSS safety update  (similar to the S31 in Japan) - bumpers and mounts, door, door frame and chassis reinforcements. There was a bit more metal in much as issues were identified. The rest was mechanical  L28/R 200/FS5, FI, but there's also some in appointments, insulation and deadening. Less than 100 for this last 3 is what I recall.

Popular 240Z swap was L28(head swapped or not) /FS5/R200/which made the 240Z less light than stock, not much tho. Stock, there's also a preference for the stiffer late 280Z. Mass has consequences, but there's a number of ways to mitigate. The weight thing is overblown in my opinion.

View Quote

Best remedy for the Z-car weight was an aluminum-head SBC!
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 1:21:28 PM EDT
[#24]
Honda CRX Si.

Link Posted: 8/29/2023 1:35:25 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Honda CRX Si.

View Quote

Was that the one with the plastic fenders?  I had a ragged out one I paid $60 for.  280k miles on the odometer.  Probably still running the same oil since 100k miles.  That car ran great.
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 1:49:39 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Gentlemen, I give you....The Chevy Love:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/106895/luv_jpg-2936289.JPG

View Quote

LUV= light utility vehicle. My friend in HS had a '72, with a 327 and turbo 350. He put an 8" Ford rearend in it, and drove on M&H Slicks on the street. Before that, he had a hopped up 2000cc Pinto, that we put a 289 into. He hit a light pole with that one.
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 1:53:34 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

LUV= light utility vehicle. My friend in HS had a '72, with a 327 and turbo 350. He put an 8" Ford rearend in it, and drove on M&H Slicks on the street. Before that, he had a hopped up 2000cc Pinto, that we put a 289 into. He hit a light pole with that one.
View Quote
Uncanny.  I had a buddy with a non-V8 Luv AND a buddy with a 289 powered Pinto hatchback (not the wagon, that would be gay).
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 1:56:43 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Uncanny.  I had a buddy with a non-V8 Luv AND a buddy with a 289 powered Pinto hatchback (not the wagon, that would be gay).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

His Pinto was a '71, with the trunk. He put the hopped up 2000cc into a brown w/ woodgrain Wagon. ??
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 2:24:13 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
@mstennes

Brian Morrow did cool shit.

Link Posted: 8/29/2023 6:47:25 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Yeah, stuff like that and the Mustangs of that era were the shit I was referring to.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Yeah, stuff like that and the Mustangs of that era were the shit I was referring to.

@Jodan1776
Some things need to be left forgotten,
Attachment Attached File

A Hurst Mustang it is not.
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 6:52:01 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By:
@mstennes

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Datsun 280Z

@mstennes

@Alacrity
I phrased that wrong, what I should have said is that the 280’s lost that raw no frills that sports cars were known for. You are correct the ZX lost all of it, there’s allot to be said for that stripped down, no frills sports car..
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 7:03:49 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

So one of those articles telling you what everybody already knew.

Its easy to rebuild an engine that looks stock on the outside, because the car literally came with all the right pieces to do that.  You have to go out of your way to install headers, intake, exhaust, etc.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

According to car magazines from that era, the state of California was ass raping people when they found engine mods during the annual inspections for plate renewal.  Which led to articles on how to build an engine that looked completely stock (complete with emissions controls), but was bored, stroked, etc.  400 crank and rods in a 350 block was one of the more popular options, according to one of the articles.

Are back issues of Hod Rod, Car Craft, etc. sold in a downloadable pdf form?  I'd like to reread some of those articles.

So one of those articles telling you what everybody already knew.

Its easy to rebuild an engine that looks stock on the outside, because the car literally came with all the right pieces to do that.  You have to go out of your way to install headers, intake, exhaust, etc.

At the time, I was into FE blocks and had never owned a GM product or anything newer than 1973, so the methods people in California were using to get around their vehicle inspection problems were interesting to read.  Other than that, the old articles would now be interesting to read for reasons similar to why threads like these are interesting - looking at pictures of cool cars I hadn't thought about in quite a while.
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 7:05:41 PM EDT
[#33]
I
Quoted:
@mstennes

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Datsun 280Z

@mstennes

I liked the early  [75] 280 Z far better then the 240/60 or latter ones. The FI ROCKED compared to trying to get the duel carbed set up properly and the 260 was a damned nightmare. The 75 was simple as hell and reliable to boot with better response from low to high RPM's. Im sure you could tweak [again and again and again] the duel carbed ones and I hated the big bumpers of the 75 on but damn it could run. And it still didn't have a cat and there were miles less rubber hoses on the early 280's. Dad had a ZX bought because he liked my 75  Z so much but it just never lived up to the sports car rep, by then it had turned into a ''cruiser,'' sure it ran down the road nice but that raw feel was gone.  Far fancier, sure, past that, ehhhhhhh.

Link Posted: 8/29/2023 7:12:21 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

@Jodan1776
Some things need to be left forgotten,
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/85971/IMG_7259_jpeg-2936645.JPG
A Hurst Mustang it is not.
View Quote

They just needed a little work.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 8:35:03 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/2667473_My-drivable-1975-Spitfire-is-now-drivable-Pic-heavy-.html
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 8:56:30 PM EDT
[#36]
My best friend's little sis had a 900t. That thing was fun to peel around in.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 9:05:04 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I remember when the Isuzu commercials started here in the States when Isuzu’s were becoming popular. The Japanese guy saying “That’s okay, I can’t say Chevroret” cracked me up.
View Quote

I really liked Isuzus. The European Opel was sold by Buick dealers in the US, hence Buick Opel, and then I guess GM made a deal with Isuzu because the German-built Opel Kadett had gotten too expensive, and for some bizarre reason decided to just call it a Buick Opel by Isuzu. It had a nifty little OHC hemi four cylinder.

Here's a cool car from the '80s:

Link Posted: 8/29/2023 10:57:19 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Was that the one with the plastic fenders?  I had a ragged out one I paid $60 for.  280k miles on the odometer.  Probably still running the same oil since 100k miles.  That car ran great.
View Quote
I had an '84, I'm sure that was before the Si's. It was fun to drive and sipped gas. A friend had an Si and he never would let me drive it
I also had a 280zx, don't remember the year, and a '77 Datsun 280z. I didn't know what I had. I wish I had treated it better and done the necessary work on it. Its main problem was a cracked exhaust but I didn't know how to address it at the time.
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 12:17:57 AM EDT
[#39]

That looks like allot of work! It looks to me like it was worth it though.
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 12:38:15 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

1978 Mustang II V-10 Triton "Mustang Evolution" Detroit Autorama 2014

Just the repositioning of the axles and changing the wheel sizes made a huge difference in the looks.

ETA: And now I know why there wasn't much said about this car after a few youtube videos and a magazine article or two about it.

1978 Ford Mustang II "Mustang Evolution" "Mustang II Phoenix" Street Machine 2021 SEMA Show
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 12:52:13 AM EDT
[#41]
Who remembers the 3rd gen 2 door Honda Accords?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 10:24:14 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

@Alacrity
I phrased that wrong, what I should have said is that the 280's lost that raw no frills that sports cars were known for. You are correct the ZX lost all of it, there's allot to be said for that stripped down, no frills sports car..
View Quote
@mstennes

Figured you forgot an X

The main differences that impact "feel" isn't so much weight, but the 240Z's quicker steering ratio (that's changed with 260z)  there's solutions from new rack with 240Z ratio (there's racks that improve the entire design) to complete or partial front sub-frame swap out. I've heard some claim the early aluminum is "better", but other than a little lighter, there's no specific answer, I bet it's the feel of the ratio associated with the aluminum that has attached. 280z had some alignment specs that favored stability as well.

Setup a 280Z correctly, even the 77-78, there's very little difference in "feel"  with cars that have identical tires, rims, etc, if you drop 100 off the front and rear by replacing bumpers the objective dynamics come in line as well. I'd rather start with a late shell with some important reinforcements and work back in the more dialed feel.

Link Posted: 8/30/2023 11:34:40 AM EDT
[#43]
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Sun Intl brought in a fair number of these.

Link Posted: 8/30/2023 11:36:13 AM EDT
[#44]

They sold different hatches for the Pulsar NX.
You removed the original and installed the new one in its place.
There were like 4 different types, if I remember correctly.
I think I saw one or two of them in the mid 80's.
It was a pretty neat idea.
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 11:39:47 AM EDT
[#45]
Opel GT.

I saw it listed but not pictured in this thread.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 11:59:58 AM EDT
[#46]
VW Fox GL

Attachment Attached File

Audi 5000

Attachment Attached File

Volvo 240 Turbo

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 12:09:53 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
First gen Civic with the 500cc aircooled engine.
Had a guy in high school had one and we'd repeatedly get 4 guys and walk off with his car. Leaving it in oddball places.
Yeah, not very mature.

Nick
View Quote

Late one night at Base Housing Nellis AFB ----- myself my bro Glenn and two chicks picked up an MGA that was parked on the street down from his house and placed it fully on the sidewalk ---- we were all 14 and 15 ---- it was 1968...

Still snicker about it when I think about one one the gal's...

Link Posted: 8/30/2023 12:29:07 PM EDT
[#48]
Cool thread.

My first car was a 74 LeMans.  Mine was baby blue with a white vinyl top.
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 1:19:31 PM EDT
[#49]

I had a  Mazda 929 when I was in college from 98-02.
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 1:23:15 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
First gen Civic with the 500cc aircooled engine.
Had a guy in high school had one and we'd repeatedly get 4 guys and walk off with his car. Leaving it in oddball places.
Yeah, not very mature.

Nick
View Quote
Some guys in highschool did that with my Dodge Omni.
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top