Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 9:27:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Drug epidemic is outrageous.  We ran on a Narcan party Friday in an abandoned house....6 od'd., two dead.  We used 35 doses of Narcan took two departments to respond.
View Quote
Do you all have a record holder for how many times you have brought one individual back, like some dude that has OD'd 20 times or something? 
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 9:27:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Drug epidemic is outrageous.  We ran on a Narcan party Friday in an abandoned house....6 od'd., two dead.  We used 35 doses of Narcan took two departments to respond.
View Quote
Holy fuck.

Shit is depressing as hell
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 9:29:24 PM EDT
[#3]
We lost our youngest son on January 20th of this year.   Went to Afghanistan in 2005 with the 82nd Airborne.  Could never find his way home.  He received 2 bad concussions in combat and a third in a training jump on a windy day.  He also damaged 5 discs in that jump.   After 11 years of struggling he is finally at peace.  Trimmed the grass around his grave today.   Keith you are greatly missed by many.
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 9:33:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Anyone who advocates the legalization of drugs has never seen the devastation meth and opioids do to the family unit.
View Quote
Or some of us prefer freedom.
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 9:37:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Actually in this case the opioid epidemic can be directly tied to ratcheting up the control on pill mills.

Once upon a time there were hundreds of legal "pain management" clinics.  The DEA in it's infinite wisdom decided to shut them down in a very short period of time.  This left a bunch of functioning addicts without a supply of cheap opioids.  Because they could not afford pills on the street they turned to heroin and fentanyl.

I'll take functioning addicts over herion junkies any day of the week.
View Quote
You do realize that eventually they'd end up on heroin anyways don't you? It's progressive. It takes more and more to get high and the brain is screaming for more. Even on heroin for a while it's not enough so they start messing with fentanyl.
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 9:41:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote
Went to my 20-yr HS reunion this summer and overheard a guy bragging about how many times he had been narcanned.
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 9:43:54 PM EDT
[#7]
My wife and daughter work in fostercare in wv.  Business is booming.  Poor kids pay hell for their parents weakness.  Some get narcanned twice in a day.
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 9:44:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

You do realize that eventually they'd end up on heroin anyways don't you? It's progressive. It takes more and more to get high and the brain is screaming for more. Even on heroin for a while it's not enough so they start messing with fentanyl.
View Quote
Some yes, the vast majority of people, no.
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 9:49:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Anyone who advocates the legalization of drugs has never seen the devastation meth and opioids do to the family unit.
View Quote
Anyone who has clearly analyzed the facts instead of emotionally reacted has observed that heroin overdose deaths have increased significantly with the crackdown on prescription opioids.

I'm pretty sure most families would think having their deceased members hooked on oxy and alive to be less devastating than pushed by the drug war into heroin and dead, but I could be wrong.

Link Posted: 10/22/2017 9:50:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I guess we should make meth and opioids illegal, or available only with a Doctor's prescription.
View Quote
Yeah, that'll stop it.
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 9:58:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Oxy was a life saver for me

For all those that want to ban it because of "feelz"....well...CoC prevents me from saying what I think about that

Ibuprofen didn't do shit when my spinal disc was crushing my sciatic nerve down to my foot. Still can't feel half of my right foot to this day.

Addicts are gonna addict. Open back up the pill mills and people will stop ODing off cheap street heroin.
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 9:59:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Anyone who has clearly analyzed the facts instead of emotionally reacted has observed that heroin overdose deaths have increased significantly with the crackdown on prescription opioids.

I'm pretty sure most families would think having their deceased members hooked on oxy and alive to be less devastating than pushed by the drug war into heroin and dead, but I could be wrong.

https://d14rmgtrwzf5a.cloudfront.net/sites/default/files/cdcwonder2016_4.jpg
View Quote
Mot families would prefer not to their members hooked on anything
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 10:02:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
We lost our youngest son on January 20th of this year.   Went to Afghanistan in 2005 with the 82nd Airborne.  Could never find his way home.  He received 2 bad concussions in combat and a third in a training jump on a windy day.  He also damaged 5 discs in that jump.   After 11 years of struggling he is finally at peace.  Trimmed the grass around his grave today.   Keith you are greatly missed by many.
View Quote
So sad to read this.  I have the greatest respect for his service.  His struggles as a result do not in any way diminish my respect for what he did for our country.
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 10:04:42 PM EDT
[#14]
My brother ran a call earlier in the year at UNCG where the guy they brought back wanted to know how many mgs of Narcan they gave him when he woke up.  He told my brother he had a new supplier and wanted to know how good his drugs were.
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 10:04:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Mot families would prefer not to their members hooked on anything
View Quote
If drug prohibition accomplished that, we would not be having this discussion.
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 10:09:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote
Christ, I'm so sorry to hear that. I can't even imagine. Prayers for your family.

I know you'll meet again.

Link Posted: 10/22/2017 10:09:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Sorry for your loss. Have several cousins who are battling heroin addiction
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 10:50:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Do you all have a record holder for how many times you have brought one individual back, like some dude that has OD'd 20 times or something? 
View Quote
We had a guy we would run one two to three times a week for OD's for about a year and a half, Darwin finally got him last month.
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 10:57:07 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 11:05:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Not dead but in a coma.
Fuck me.

He's had addiction issues for a long time and I cant say this comes as too much of a surprise

His dad is like one of my best friends and he's put him through hell over the years.

This opioid epidemic is very real
View Quote

Usually it is heroin sadly
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 11:09:45 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 5:18:10 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Actually its the crackdown on legal prescriptions that is causing this "Epidemic"!

research it yourself if you dont believe me! I was on the front lines of this war, before I chose my family over death!

ETA

Heroin is already massively illegal! How much more "Illegal" should it be? 

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

People forget the explosion of illicit opioid use is tied directly to the expanded prescription rate of legal painkillers.

Legal doesn't equal safe.
Actually its the crackdown on legal prescriptions that is causing this "Epidemic"!

research it yourself if you dont believe me! I was on the front lines of this war, before I chose my family over death!

ETA

Heroin is already massively illegal! How much more "Illegal" should it be? 

You are absolutely correct retroangles. The crack down on an imaginary epidemic of legal pain med useage has caused a spurge in deaths caused by illegal drug use. Because people that once were getting their pain meds from a doctor under a doctors care. Can no longer get them or when they do the pharmacies will not fill the scrips..

Chronic pain can wreck a persons life and will drive them to extremes to get relief from it. I've seen people end their life because of chronic pain. People have no idea what I'm talking about unless they've experienced it. To say there are alternative treatments B.S. no amount of therapy will help these people.

Instead you get these drug addicts that buy, steal both legal and illegal drugs. Some politicians relative, a son, daughter or wife dies of an overdose of these legal drugs and they make it their mission to wage a war against these medications that do help people. Instead of blaming the addicts or illegal drug dealers the go after the manufacturers of the legal medications.

Typical leftist liberal. Always blames an object instead of the person. Now if it was truely a defective product like these airbags in cars. That's a different story.

But no one made an alcoholic drink alcohol, a drug addict do those drugs. You can't blame a drug or alcohol no more than you can blame a gun, knife, car or bomb that a murder uses to kill people with. It's the man that pulls the trigger or blows up or runs that car into those people that killed those people.

But it's always easier to blame something else other than the person in a situation like this. If they did not have access to those drugs they would not overdose ect... ect...just like these anti gun lunatics if they just did not have access to those guns people would not die from gun violence anymore.

You can't beat yourself up over these people and say if I had done this or that. They are what they are. Some you just cant help. So just love them.

But do not make excuses for them and do not shift the blame. People will die no matter what and there is no regulations or laws that can stop this from happening. It's the nature of man.

Everything on this earth can pretty much kill you if you abuse it.  But this nonsense of an opioid epidemic is man made. As I stated earlier the deaths from this are so low they don't even register a % against the 325 million population.

Also yes drugs can be adsorbed through the skin. But come on....... some of the things that I hear on here just blows my mind.

That statement I saw someone ODing but did not want to help because drugs can be absorbed through your skin. Really.....really......good god.   Transdermal patches through the skin. Touching a human being not through skin. It's probably a good thing you did not stop to help with the knowledge you have.

Some people with mental problems as well as physical problems are prescribed pain medications and other drugs by the VA to vets. Ive ran a lot of calls on vets. The VA is ridiculous about pushing pills and not addressing the problems with our vets.

Ive spoken to a few of my Army buddies that use the VA and it takes them months to get help. Then when they do they are given drugs for back , knee or other problems instead of fixing them. Just to get them out. They do not follow up or monitor them.

I've had my wife ask me why I don't use the VA instead of buying my health ins. I will never use the VA. Never. Not after what I've seen with the patients I've delivered to them and how they've treated family and friends. First question the VA always ask is do you have other insurance. That shouldn't matter. If you do they bill your insurance.

My heart goes out to the poster here who lost their son who was in the 82nd. That is a truely heart breaking story.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 5:34:34 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What happened in 2009-2010 to make the cases spike like that?
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 5:45:34 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote
What if I told you that I don't care?
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 5:50:08 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Real Sorry.
My step-son died from that, Feb. 2014.
Lucky me found him and had to call wife at work, agonized for an hour on how to tell her.
He was clean for a good while too......
View Quote
Very sorry to hear that. I lost a friend who had been clean for a long time. Apparently that is pretty common for addicts. They get clean and the tolerance they built up while using is gone. When they relapse they start with the amount they were using to get high  when they quit using and their body can’t handle it.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 6:02:06 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote
I'm so sorry to read this and hear of your son.   I'm will keep you in my thoughts.

I cannot imagine losing my son... it would crush me.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 6:06:51 PM EDT
[#27]
Most people around here go from meth to heroin because it's cheaper and easier to obtain. Also it's legality causes billions of dollars in costs to the taxpayers each year

Let's legalize it and make narcan illegal.

Kthxbye

The taxpayer..
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 6:07:44 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Oxy was a life saver for me

For all those that want to ban it because of "feelz"....well...CoC prevents me from saying what I think about that

Ibuprofen didn't do shit when my spinal disc was crushing my sciatic nerve down to my foot. Still can't feel half of my right foot to this day.

Addicts are gonna addict. Open back up the pill mills and people will stop ODing off cheap street heroin
View Quote
You know there is alot of truth in what you posted.  I've noticed the rise in OD runs with the useage of street drugs because of the crack down on drug clinics.

You will hear in the MEDIA often warnings about a illegal drug from out of the country that is laced with poisons and how it is killing people.

At least with the pill mills they were not being poisoned and half way monitored.  But yes you are correct I've noticed that also. As a matter of fact death and OD cases have jumped alot since addicts have switched over to street drugs.

What's also funny in away at these drug treatment centers is they use methadone to treat opioid addiction.
What is methadone.....an opioid that does not cause a high. So basically they are treating you for opioid addiction by give you an opioid without a high. Plus from what I've seen this does not help the patient.

They get addicted to methadone and if they can't get it they go right back to the drugs they were being treated for. Seen this happen often. It may help some though.

Alot of the calls I run are on the same people over and over. In and out of treatment on and off of methadone.
The good thing about methadone is you know it's a clean drug and you know what's in it. Street drugs you don't and there is what causes the death and ODs they are laced with poisons.

So keep giving it to them as long as it works and they stay off the streets. Your treating an illness.

Hey just being truthful here from my observation. There is no bright side. They are still an addict. At least one way they are alive and controlled. Because the only way an addict is going to stop is if they want to.

It's like smoking cigarettes. I use to smoke and it was the hardest thing I ever did was to stop. They say nicotine is more addictive than anything. It took me at least 10 attemps to stop a desire to.

Same I guess with anything a person may be addicted to.

Again you can't regulate addicts out of existence. If it's not one drug it will be another. The only people that are truely being hurt are the ones that do need the medications.

Trust me there are people that do need them and are being given are very hard time to get them because of this made up bullshit.

You can't clump legal and illegal drugs together. You can't blame drug manufacturers or medications for criminals that break the law. If you think you can.

Then everyone here that owns a gun is guilty for what happened in vegas. There's absolutely no difference in the rational of thinking. That's how the liberal left and Democrats look at it.

It's the people not the medication. It's the illegal drug users and dealers and cartels.

Not legal drug manufacturers and patients or doctors.

Tell I'm wrong when your hurt, have surgery and need these drugs. Then maybe you can't get them because people say you don't need them.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 6:24:43 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote
Why, yes, yes I have. Meth heads and junkies running around all over the place. I can sit on my porch and within 5 minutes point to a fuckin' meth head or junkie.   I have two meth head cousins. Both are women in their 20s with 7 kids and 7 different dads between them. The thievin'est, lyin'est shits you ever saw. They put their parents and everybody around them through hell.
I have to think that were the drugs legal and cheap, they'd have died about 5 or more kids ago and everybody would be better off in the long run. Maybe not, but the current policy sure as fuck isn't working.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 6:33:34 PM EDT
[#30]
Thank God they are going after the legal pain drugs, being no one is dying from illegal heroin. But wait...now people with with real pain will seek illegal drugs

This reminds me of what I'd read about prohibition where people went from drinking beer to illegal moonshine that killed them or blinded them, all thanks to the government 'helping' them.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 6:37:07 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yes I have, and it's depressing. 

So are the families torn apart not by the physical characteristics of the drug itself (or even addiction), but by nothing more than their illegal nature and the incarceration that follows. That wrecks families, too. 
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 6:42:08 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Real Sorry.
My step-son died from that, Feb. 2014.
Lucky me found him and had to call wife at work, agonized for an hour on how to tell her.
He was clean for a good while too......
View Quote
Wow, what a cruel and selfish thing he dumped on you.

I don't know what the answers are.  I was taking to an EMT today about the local situation.  Very scary.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 6:44:48 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote
Cause the war on drugs has made the problem go away?
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 6:52:48 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote
"Poor cousin Ralphie just won't stop taking that stuff, no matter how much we beg & plead with him!"

No, some of us don't have warm cotton-candy delusions about the ability of a legislature to compel individuals to NOT make blatantly bad decisions that they know will result in the slow but inevitable destruction of their existence.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 6:55:29 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Actually in this case the opioid epidemic can be directly tied to ratcheting up the control on pill mills.

Once upon a time there were hundreds of legal "pain management" clinics.  The DEA in it's infinite wisdom decided to shut them down in a very short period of time.  This left a bunch of functioning addicts without a supply of cheap opioids.  Because they could not afford pills on the street they turned to heroin and fentanyl.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And now there's a "CRISIS!" they can save us from.  Get out  battering rams & flashbangs.  HUT HUT HUT!  That budget ain't gonna write itself, boys!!
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 6:55:57 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote
"Meth and Opioids" are inanimate objects. They can't do anything to anyone.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 6:57:33 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Guns kill people.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 6:59:55 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Some yes, the vast majority of people, no.
View Quote
Threads like this really highlight the ignorance of the general public when it comes to addiction
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 7:00:43 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
2 Hispanic (one dead)
1 black (dead)
rest white....age range 16-57

We had a 17yo girl OD on Monday.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

White people,  blacks? Just curious what demographics most od on heroin?
Whole lot of sober homes showing up in local area.
One is run by a guy from Toledo, OH
They fly patients down here from Ohio.
Like Florida Man not enough.
2 Hispanic (one dead)
1 black (dead)
rest white....age range 16-57

We had a 17yo girl OD on Monday.
Heroin is multicultural.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 7:03:59 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 7:05:25 PM EDT
[#41]
What part do you idiots that are whining do not not understand. These addicts are already ODing on ILLEGAL DRUGS AND LEGAL DRUGS ARE ALREADY REGULATED.

So tell me what is it you are wanting to do.

Make illegal drugs more illegal than they already are.

Make legal medical drugs illegal. That right there is true liberal thinking.

The government can fix everything. More like the government can and will make matters worst.

Blame a legal medication for a drug addicts death. Because they were breaking the law in the first place

All you whiners have done is say ban. Well ban what.

All you've done is blame legal drugs and manfactures. Not once have I heard one of you say that it was the addicts fault.

Oh that's right no one accepts responsibility for their own actions any more. They just blame others.

So fix what. How do you want to make better so there are no more addicts. No more overdose deaths.  

Don't take me the wrong way. I feel for these people. But alot of you here are a joke.

My condolences to the op and everyone that has ever been effected by an addict.

But my god. The things, the finger pointing. Only a few has blamed the addict themselves.

You can't blame the drug. It's already illegal. They broke the law.

Be careful anti gun liberals might be reading.

Not directed at the soldier. There was more to his medical condition than just pain med addiction.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 7:08:27 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
What part do you idiots that are whining do not not understand. These addicts are already ODing on ILLEGAL DRUGS AND LEGAL DRUGS ARE ALREADY REGULATED.

So tell me what is it you are wanting to do.

Make illegal drugs more illegal than they already are.

Make legal medical drugs illegal. That right there is true liberal thinking.

The government can fix everything. More like the government can and will make matters worst.

Blame a legal medication for a drug addicts death. Because they were breaking the law in the first place

All you whiners have done is say ban. Well ban what.

All you've done is blame legal drugs and manfactures. Not once have I heard one of you say that it was the addicts fault.

Oh that's right no one accepts responsibility for their own actions any more. They just blame others.

So fix what. How do you want to make better so there are no more addicts. Be careful anti gun liberals might be reading.

Not directed at the soldier. There was more to his medical condition than just pain med addiction.
View Quote
I agree.

Ban Narcan.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 7:12:56 PM EDT
[#43]
Sorry for your loss, but some folks are on a self destruct sequence nobody can intervene with.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 7:16:14 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote
Way to turn this thread into something its not

OP I hope your cousin makes it ok and gets this kicked.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 7:21:12 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
That's a winning strategy!
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 7:25:17 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Not dead but in a coma.
Fuck me.

He's had addiction issues for a long time and I cant say this comes as too much of a surprise

His dad is like one of my best friends and he's put him through hell over the years.

This opioid epidemic is very real
View Quote

Sorry to hear... just got a phone call last week from my long time ex girlfriends mom... she and I were together for 4 years from the time I was 15 until 19(I’m 39 now) but I had always remained good friends with her mom... and even her until about 6 years ago. Her mom always wanted us to end up together...

anyway... her mom called me to tell me she had put her in rehab because my ex got mixed up in drugs.. and after she got out of rehab she found her unresponsive in her bedroom at her apt after nobody could get a hold of her... she tried cpr but she was already gone...

Her tox report said 100% fentanyl in her system... she didn’t stand a chance.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 7:30:23 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
So if guns were illegal would gun related crimes go up, down, or stay the same?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So if guns were illegal would gun related crimes go up, down, or stay the same?
The two are very different.  Guns don't chemically alter your brain and impair your judgment - illicit drugs do.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 7:46:17 PM EDT
[#48]
Well, TBH, can't say he didn't know what he was getting himself into.  Hope he pulls through and learns a valuable lesson here.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 7:59:11 PM EDT
[#49]
That sucks.  My cousin OD'd last year but didn't make it.  Can't say that it was the worst thing that had happened; I honestly think my uncle was relieved because it was the first time in his life since he had had this kid he was able to relax.  
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 8:05:38 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote
Don't even try logic here.   This place is chock full of dopers who neither understand how addiction works or cascades within the brain's biochemistry.  

They're more interested in getting high and quoting quackpot doctors who claim that weed cures cancer and poppy plants should be legal.

Sorry for your loss, OP.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top