BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 8:57:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
this whole thread sucks. every time a discussion starts on addiction the "muh freedom" crowd takes over.
I would wager the "muh freedom" gang has no relation/friends who have become addicted either willingly or accidental because they and their friends are supermen which have never been addicted to anything so mundane as opioids, benzos or alcohol. 

I know two very important people who suffered or are suffering. One is dead and the other is suffering with the 4th year of recovery. 
View Quote
Apparently you've missed all the fathers, uncle's, brothers, etc that have posted their stories.
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 9:00:56 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm locked in every night with psych PT's and dozens of addicts in withdrawal. You can get them through the physical symptoms easy enough. Although it isn't always pretty. They leave without a physical need. They still relapse if they WANT TO.
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 9:01:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Anyone who advocates the legalization of drugs has never seen the devastation meth and opioids do to the family unit.
View Quote
if it was legal there would be less ODs. because whatever they took , probably wouldnt be cut with fentanyl.

anyone who gets anything that is a powder or a pill these days from some illegal source is taking their life in their hands. there was a couple in ga that od'd recently because the powder they thought was cocaine was cut with fentanyl. and there have been deaths here from folks taking what they thought was vicodin but was fake pills with fentanyl.

BROOKHAVEN, GA. - Police are investigating the drug-related deaths of two Brookhaven residents from the use of cocaine laced with fentanyl.

On Aug. 27, police discovered the body of Nancy Virginia Brock, 35, also known as Ginny, at her North Thompson Road residence. Police said the woman had been dead for several days, and found a small bag of cocaine in her purse.

The next day, police responded to reports of another death, this one on Buckhead Lane. Police found the body of Dr. Paul Rodon, 41, who had also been dead for several days. Police found several bags of cocaine in his home as well.

Police said the two victims were close friends and had been seen together several days prior to the discovery of their bodies.  
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 9:02:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Every pt I have is originally admitted against their will. What's your point?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Great point. What's your recommendation
Be more along the lines or Portugal and treat it as more of a medical condition than a criminal problem. There's been studies done that if all the jails and prisons had treatment programs society as a whole would be better off monetarily. They looked at what the average cost to everyone was for these people stealing to get their next fix vs how much treatment costs and then factored in what percentage actually stay clean.  Even if 5% stay clean society comes out ahead.
They also force people into treatment.  

Do you want that?
Every pt I have is originally admitted against their will. What's your point?
Freedom is scary.
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 9:23:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Sorry man, I hope he pulls through and straightens up.
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 9:34:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
i think it is the exact opposite. i think that people who have experienced drug damage, know that drugs are not a blame game they are part of the human condition. drug use has been found in bodies that lived before the time of written language. You can keep pretending it is some moral failing or take the reigns and see what form or realistic control can do.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Anyone who advocates the legalization of drugs has never seen the devastation meth and opioids do to the family unit.
i think it is the exact opposite. i think that people who have experienced drug damage, know that drugs are not a blame game they are part of the human condition. drug use has been found in bodies that lived before the time of written language. You can keep pretending it is some moral failing or take the reigns and see what form or realistic control can do.
I think his point is you are retarded if you increase the access to opiods. Only a small segment of society can dabble with them and not become physically addicted. Certainly the expansion of prescription pain killers was (in retrospect) a huge mistake, but our own liberalized acceptance of all forms of drugs hasn't been lost on current generations.

In most states, your children are now more likely to die from drug overdose than any other cause. Think about that, and tell me how MORE of these drugs is a good idea.
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 9:35:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Ok, but:

Not to mention the cartels now getting into the synthetic opiate market, i.e. fentanyl.
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 9:40:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I'm locked in every night with psych PT's and dozens of addicts in withdrawal. You can get them through the physical symptoms easy enough. Although it isn't always pretty. They leave without a physical need. They still relapse if they WANT TO.
View Quote
Any idea the recidivism rate for involuntary vs voluntary?
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 9:45:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

If the shit were legal, there wouldn't be any money in it.
View Quote
I'm curious why people say this. Pot is booming business in the places where it is legal. We're seeing more accidents here, and despite having essentially decriminalized possession of harder drugs, vastly increased property crime rates.

Even IF the government sells drugs, at low prices, and no one else makes a profit, where do the druggies get the money? Eventually, they get it from you, by stealing your things. Because they have already stolen from their friends and families, and now they will steal from strangers. "Money" affects crime rates, and violence rates, certainly the "war on drugs" creates an environment where criminal groups can make "money". But most of these groups would be committing crimes anyway - fraud schemes, theft rings, etc. Opiates are a form of Russian roulette, some can dabble, and get out, some get dead.

A prescription opiate habit can cost upwards of $300 a day (yes, I know it can cost more in some areas and at some dosages). My experience has been that the migration from prescription opiates to heroin comes when individuals run out the income stream required to buy prescription, and heroin can cost 1/2 to 1/3 as much, for the same "quantity".
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 9:45:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
this whole thread sucks. every time a discussion starts on addiction the "muh freedom" crowd takes over.
I would wager the "muh freedom" gang has no relation/friends who have become addicted either willingly or accidental because they and their friends are supermen which have never been addicted to anything so mundane as opioids, benzos or alcohol. 

I know two very important people who suffered or are suffering. One is dead and the other is suffering with the 4th year of recovery. 
View Quote
You know how liberal assume conservatives are just heartless and selfish and take positions out of cruel self interest when in reality it's because most conservatives just believe there is a better way?

Link Posted: 10/24/2017 9:49:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Some yes, the vast majority of people, no.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You do realize that eventually they'd end up on heroin anyways don't you? It's progressive. It takes more and more to get high and the brain is screaming for more. Even on heroin for a while it's not enough so they start messing with fentanyl.
Some yes, the vast majority of people, no.
You're wrong. I lived in PA when the pill mills were highly functioning. We still saw huge numbers diverted to heroin. It was all a question of how much money they had available on a given day. The expansive pill mills were merely diverting prescription drugs into the community in a much more innocuous form, so our high schools were filled with them.

I'd like easy answers too, but the reality is this is an incredibly complex problem.
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 10:13:52 PM EDT
[#12]
I saved a guy with Narcan once.  It was awesome.  One of the best and most memorable experiences of my life.

Shitbag stole from me about 2 months later. I thought we were bonded for life.
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 10:48:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Bet a lot of that sh*t comes from Afghanistan.
View Quote
Yes, it does.
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 11:31:38 PM EDT
[#14]
My cousin ended up in a nursing home over a heart infection due to using dirty needles and drugs he and his friends managed to somehow steal from the rehab facility he was in. I understand your anguish OP. It sucks, but there's nothing you can do.

My cousin will die because of his addiction/like of drugs, I know this. However it's still a rough road for the family until awhile after this happens.
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 11:37:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Yep because seeing as how making it illegal has done any good.

If it were legal it would kill are the dumbasses who choose to do it quicker and we can clean up the gene pool.
View Quote
While I agree that making it illegal doesn't do any good. Making it legal will kill more people. It'll be the one timer's, those that just want to give it a go because it's legal who will pay the price the addicts deserve. That said, I still believe in freedom and choice. So lets end this money pit called a war on drugs and let shit work itself out.
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 11:42:41 PM EDT
[#16]
This opioid stuff is out of control.  Best of luck to you OP.  Narcan, and then I realize the first responders are in danger too.  Fentanyl and car fentanyl is just messed up, and they get exposed to that shit.  Feed the bastards shrooms and hope it corrects itself, then again shit in one hand and hope in another, which is a fallacy too.  Just get away from that person and go no contact.  
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 11:47:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Sorry man, I hope he pulls through and straightens up.
View Quote
Thank you, brother.
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 12:13:23 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Actually in this case the opioid epidemic can be directly tied to ratcheting up the control on pill mills.

Once upon a time there were hundreds of legal "pain management" clinics.  The DEA in it's infinite wisdom decided to shut them down in a very short period of time.  This left a bunch of functioning addicts without a supply of cheap opioids.  Because they could not afford pills on the street they turned to heroin and fentanyl.

I'll take functioning addicts over herion junkies any day of the week.
View Quote
This is true. I mean it's like the effing GOV and drug companies are working together to reduce the population.

Drug companies push this crap as a "MEDICAL ANSWER"  the "MASSES" get shit tins of people hooked on the shit. Mean while heroin is flowing in the streets. Then jerk the legal supply out from under them?

Not to mention Fentanyl is now apparently available on the streets.

And who in the fuck wants to smoke, snort, shoot or eat some flakka?  You gotta be a completely desperate addict to do that shit.

The Effing drug companies knew opiates were a bad option for wide spread mainstream prescriptions.
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 8:38:32 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
You'd lose that wager, BTW.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I would wager the "muh freedom" gang has no relation/friends who have become addicted either willingly or accidental because they and their friends are supermen which have never been addicted to anything so mundane as opioids, benzos or alcohol.  . 
You'd lose that wager, BTW.
100%.
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 12:37:38 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I think his point is you are retarded if you increase the access to opiods. Only a small segment of society can dabble with them and not become physically addicted. Certainly the expansion of prescription pain killers was (in retrospect) a huge mistake, but our own liberalized acceptance of all forms of drugs hasn't been lost on current generations.

In most states, your children are now more likely to die from drug overdose than any other cause. Think about that, and tell me how MORE of these drugs is a good idea.
View Quote
Do you know why children have more access to drugs than they do alcohol? Using the excuse "but people will die" is how liberals legislate with emotion and not logic or reason. The black market keeps abusers in the shadows of society. If these junkies were forced to see a pharmacist instead of a heroin dealer, maybe then they would not completely wreck their lives before they realize their problem. If nothing else, non-users(especially children) could see out in the open how drug abuse is the wrong choice for considerately killing yourself.

JS
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top