Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 1/23/2016 1:11:56 PM EDT
I discovered yesterday morning that there is a pair of foxes living in my neighborhood.  Ran across them during my dog's early walk.  Just saw what I assume is one of the pair running between the houses across the street and then farther down.  I'm wondering what they will likely be hunting for food in the area?  Or will they be digging in the trash?  I'm not worried about my dog, or most of the neighbor's dogs, but there are some ankle biters nearby as well as an idiot who lets her cats run free.
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 1:14:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Not the suburban foxes I was hoping for...
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 1:15:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah, where are the MILFs?
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 1:16:14 PM EDT
[#3]
If they were MILFs, I would've said MILFs and provided the required pictures.
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 1:16:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Same, and I was hoping for pictures.
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 1:16:49 PM EDT
[#5]
they will eat every cat they can find. I have a pair that live in an area around my laboratory. we have watched them carry off a few of our stray cats. I like them.
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 1:17:57 PM EDT
[#6]
I've have one that eats the rabbits that live under my neighbors deck.  They don't bother anyone and I've only seen them a couple of times.  It's the squirrels around here that tear apart trash.

Link Posted: 1/23/2016 1:20:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
they will eat every cat they can find. I have a pair that live in an area around my laboratory. we have watched them carry off a few of our stray cats. I like them.
View Quote

I have to admit that this pleases me.
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 1:27:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Put a trampoline in your yard, set up a camera, and make adorable youtube vids?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8xJtH6UcQY

Link Posted: 1/23/2016 1:32:30 PM EDT
[#9]
I see foxes all the time in the various 'burbs of northern Cincinnati. Almost a daily occurrence.
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 1:32:45 PM EDT
[#10]
They will eat your garden vegetables.  We have one living over in the cove next to the neighborhood where I live.  The man who fixed my A/C has been fighting to keep them out of his garden.
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 1:33:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

I wish that were true. I have a game camera set up where I put out corn for the deer behind our house. I've caught a few pictures of foxes on it and haven't lost a cat yet. I'm thinking about putting out a gut pile to draw in some coyotes. They may be able to help me solve my "cat problem".
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 1:33:56 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Same same.  OP is a tease and needs a time out.
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 1:34:00 PM EDT
[#13]
SF Park & Rec brought in red foxes to control the rodents.  I'd see them when I worked the graveyard.  Now there's coyotes in the city.  I hope they didn't eat the foxes.
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 1:36:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 1:37:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Go out before dawn with a fox call, you will be surprised how prevalent they are.
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 1:38:36 PM EDT
[#16]
This will help this thread:

Link Posted: 1/23/2016 1:38:53 PM EDT
[#17]
I've got a pair behind my house that I see occasionally.

Trapped both a while back when I had a trap out trying to get the skunk that sprayed my dogs. Foxes are apparently suckers for orange peels and chocolate chip cookies cause they didn't learn and had to let one out of the trap every morning for a week while the other hovered nearby.

I like them because I haven't seen many rodents and they get rid of my gut piles pretty quick.

Link Posted: 1/23/2016 1:39:05 PM EDT
[#18]
I have a healthy looking one that trots through my yard just about every night between 1am and 3am.

Link Posted: 1/23/2016 1:40:00 PM EDT
[#19]
My mom has a pair that live on the mountain next to her house,they eat rabbits and stray cats
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 1:41:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Go out before dawn with a fox call, you will be surprised how prevalent they are.
View Quote

I've seen rabbits, skunks, groundhogs, possums, raccoons, squirrels, saw a hawk take a squirrel, and even saw a pair of deer wander through over the years, these are the first foxes.
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 1:42:23 PM EDT
[#21]
Mostly rodents would be my guess
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 1:42:36 PM EDT
[#22]
All I ever see is yotes and bobcats.
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 1:45:00 PM EDT
[#23]
Wife and I ran across a couple *gasp* coyotes walking the dog last night.  Only ones concerned were the rabbits running around.
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 1:46:37 PM EDT
[#24]
Saw one run past the house after work one night last year, but that's the only one I've seen in our neighborhood. I sometimes bowhunt in a suburban patch of forest behind my dad's place and have seen several foxes. That's a cool animal to watch when they don't know you're there. The way they move through the brush as they're hunting is pretty darned cool.
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 1:48:01 PM EDT
[#25]
I saw a fox in a client's backyard in urban San Diego (near the airport).

Thought it was a coyote at first, nope.

Client said it is semi tame and has been a regular visitor for years. It sleeps on their patio furniture some nights. He used to have a rat problem until the fox showed up, hasn't seen a rat since.

Our hood is currently overrun with suburban coyotes. I get pics of the damn things on my game cam every couple of nights. Can't let my dogs out unsupervised anymore.

Link Posted: 1/23/2016 1:49:20 PM EDT
[#26]
Foxes around here are as plentiful as rabbits, only outnumbered by deer. SW Travis County, suburb of Austin.
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 1:50:18 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 1:50:37 PM EDT
[#28]
We had a family last summer with a den a couple of streets over. A mated pair with 2 or 3 little one's. I saw the adults many times cruising through my yard, even calmly walked past me more than a few times on the hunt for squirrels while I was out in the driveway. The local crow's would make a huge racket whenever they saw them.

Link Posted: 1/23/2016 1:53:02 PM EDT
[#29]
About 10 years ago we had a really mangy gray fox that was getting very aggressive towards animals and people out working in their yards.  I called DNR and asked for help trapping it.  Guy at DNR asked me if I owned a gun.
Point taken sir!
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 1:55:31 PM EDT
[#31]
We've got a den that use my property and the surrounding area as their stomping grounds.  They've done us no harm.  The worst thing about them is the noises they make at night when they're playing and screwing around.  Scares the hell out of the guests.  
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 1:58:10 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I have a healthy looking one that trots through my yard just about every night between 1am and 3am.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y180/ED_P/public/PICT1085.jpg
View Quote

You're right.  That one is a fat bastard.
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 1:59:59 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I saw a fox in a client's backyard in urban San Diego (near the airport).

Thought it was a coyote at first, nope.

Client said it is semi tame and has been a regular visitor for years. It sleeps on their patio furniture some nights. He used to have a rat problem until the fox showed up, hasn't seen a rat since.

Our hood is currently overrun with suburban coyotes. I get pics of the damn things on my game cam every couple of nights. Can't let my dogs out unsupervised anymore.

View Quote

How big are your dogs?

Foxes are not that ferocious compared to other predators such as a coyote.
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 2:01:03 PM EDT
[#34]
Food will be the same thing as foxes in rural areas - anything they can get in their mouths but mainly rodents, ground nesting birds & eggs, small reptiles, etc... They should not bother any dogs or cats, they are not coyotes.
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 2:03:15 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I'm completely naive here, but I never associated Foxes with America
View Quote

We have a couple different species in the states - Grey and Red - and in most areas there are more foxes than people realize.
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 2:03:26 PM EDT
[#36]
I work in a municipality that is basically a suburb of St Louis. Lots of business and retail areas with some wooded areas, but not vast tracts or anything. We have what I would consider a large and healthy population of red foxes that live in our area. I'm assuming they feed off of rabbits, squirrels, and stray cats because we've seen a few different pups in a litter all piled up and staring at us from cover while we drive around on midnights.

Drive around an apartment complex and saw 5 or 6 sets of yellow green eyes staring at me from the reflected light from my spotlight....I thought it was a litter of raccoons and turned out the light to watch them and it turned out to be a litter of fox pups that were curious about my car and then went right back to playing with each other after a few minutes.

One time while running code to a domestic assault in progress I almost wadded up a Crown Vic when a large-ish fox dashed out right in front of my car and I locked up the brakes trying to avoid hitting it. Thankfully, both the fox and my patrol car escaped without injury.......I was cussing up a blue streak though.....
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 2:06:31 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

IIRC, there are five different species of fox in North America, red and gray being the most common.  I think I've only ever seen red foxes around here.

Heck, my last dog was about the same color as a red fox and weighed about 40 pounds.  Little kids would ask why I had a fox on a leash and if it was okay to pet her.  So yeah, pretty common around here.
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 2:07:03 PM EDT
[#38]
tag

I'll post pics when i get home
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 2:07:33 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I wish that were true. I have a game camera set up where I put out corn for the deer behind our house. I've caught a few pictures of foxes on it and haven't lost a cat yet. I'm thinking about putting out a gut pile to draw in some coyotes. They may be able to help me solve my "cat problem".
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

we build up a cat problem, then they are eradicated. its a constant cycle  from watching them carry off some of those cats and walk down the road we are pretty sure they feed on the cats when they are having a litter to feed. once the pups are gone they stop eating the cats and the population builds up again.

its a cycle.
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 2:08:16 PM EDT
[#40]
Found a male red fox dead in my back yard last week; same day found a 20+lb raccoon walking around in my yard in the middle of the day.  Both inflicted with canine distemper, bad case of it going around in my county apparently.  Killing off a whole lot of wildlife according to the local animal services cop.
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 2:10:21 PM EDT
[#41]
Few days ago - he likes that one spot.... dog wants to go play

Link Posted: 1/23/2016 2:14:18 PM EDT
[#42]
I see them here, about a year ago I saw one that was dragging a duck.
The fox jumped up to the top of a 4ft conc block wall and then down into someone's yard.
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 2:15:23 PM EDT
[#43]
We've got at pair in my neighborhood.  They do keep the rabbits down.
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 2:15:28 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

IIRC, there are five different species of fox in North America, red and gray being the most common.  I think I've only ever seen red foxes around here.

Heck, my last dog was about the same color as a red fox and weighed about 40 pounds.  Little kids would ask why I had a fox on a leash and if it was okay to pet her.  So yeah, pretty common around here.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

FWIW, this pair is red.  I'm about 1.5 miles west of a forest preserve so it's not unusual to see all kinds of animals.  Far as I know, we don't really have any coyotes, but every town west of mine has had little dogs snatched up by coyotes on a regular basis over the past few years. Particularly in neighborhoods next to forest preserves.
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 2:19:22 PM EDT
[#45]
Foxes/yotes and groundhogs own Ft Knox.

Jack Russells love tearing up foxes.
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 2:22:34 PM EDT
[#46]
I have seen foxes in downtown Ft. Lauderdale living under an old building. Used to watch the mother bring cats for the pups.
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 2:26:08 PM EDT
[#47]
We had a fox who lived here in my north shore neighborhood here on Long Island.

It used to run up & down the beach. We used to see it on the bluffs too.

Nothing in years, though.
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 2:26:09 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 2:27:05 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 2:27:50 PM EDT
[#50]
I see the occasional fox pass by on my cameras.  I also get deer (24 hrs a day), turkey, coyote and various other more common critters.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top