Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 80
Link Posted: 1/15/2018 2:42:05 PM EDT
[#1]
What we do know is they have have a patent pending for "NRS" technology.

This means that it has some sort of novel feature that makes this legal.  In other words, they didn't just find some legal loophole in the wording of the NFA.

Since they specifically say it's not a rifle and not a shotgun, this leads me to believe that it has something to do with the bore.  Why else would they specifically say it isn't a shotgun?  Since they specifically say it isn't rifle, this also hints that it has something to do with the rifling of the bore, or lack thereof.

Another possible clue is they don't make any statement of caliber offerings.  When a manufacturer releases a new firearm, they typically list the calibers it will be initially offered in.  They don't do that here. The mag certainly looks like a standard 5.56/.300BLK mag, and it very well could be. However, my guess is that it shoots a new ammo that has stabilizing features similar to shotgun slugs.  It could even be a standards round like 5.56 or .300BLK, but with a new projectile.

That's my guess.
Link Posted: 1/15/2018 2:45:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

This means that it has some sort of novel feature that makes this legal.  In other words, they didn't just find some legal loophole in the wording of the NFA.

Since they specifically say it's not a rifle and not a shotgun, this leads me to believe that it has something to do with the bore.  Why else would they specifically say it isn't a shotgun?  Since they specifically say it isn't rifle, this also hints that it has something to do with the rifling of the bore, or lack thereof.

Another possible clue is they don't make any statement of caliber offerings.  The mag certainly looks like a standard 5.56/.300BLK mag, and it very well could be.  However, my guess is that it shoots a new ammo that has stabilizing features similar to shotgun slugs.  It could even be a standards round like 5.56 or .300BLK, but with a new projectile.

That's my guess.
View Quote
We're really doing this again? So soon? It's like he didn't even read the last page.
Link Posted: 1/15/2018 2:45:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/15/2018 2:48:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
We're really doing this again?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Another possible clue is they don't make any statement of caliber offerings.  The mag certainly looks like a standard 5.56/.300BLK mag, and it very well could be.  However, my guess is that it shoots a new ammo that has stabilizing features similar to shotgun slugs.  It could even be a standards round like 5.56 or .300BLK, but with a new projectile.

That's my guess.
I realize I'm not the first to suggest this.  I've read the entire thread.  I'm stating what my vote is and why.

Others have posted that Frankin says it's not a smoothbore.  Maybe the firearm has some other novel way of imparting spin on the projectile, but I certainly can't think of how that could be accomplished.

What's your idea smart guy?
Link Posted: 1/15/2018 2:58:27 PM EDT
[#5]
I imagine there is a FA marketing manager following this thread looking exactly like this.

Link Posted: 1/15/2018 3:02:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I realize I'm not the first to suggest this.  I've read the entire thread.  I'm stating what my vote is and why.

Others have posted that Frankin says it's not a smoothbore.  Maybe it has some other way of imparting spin on the projectile but I certainly can't think of how that could be accomplished otherwise.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's my guess.

Others have posted that Frankin says it's not a smoothbore.  Maybe it has some other way of imparting spin on the projectile but I certainly can't think of how that could be accomplished otherwise.

My idea is to sit and wait for them to release more info.
Link Posted: 1/15/2018 3:02:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I imagine there is a FA marketing manager following this thread looking exactly like this.

https://i.imgur.com/JQB7k.gif
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/15/2018 3:05:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote
I guarantee it.

I've been on the other side of this quite a few times getting good laughs from forums guessing at the products the company I work for is going to release.
Link Posted: 1/15/2018 3:08:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's my guess.

LOL.  That's what I thought you would say.
Link Posted: 1/15/2018 3:16:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

snip.
View Quote
NRS = NOT Rifle Shotgun?
Link Posted: 1/15/2018 3:42:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

You are 100% correct.  Words matter, and regulations are written with specific meanings...which we are choosing to circumvent.  Do you actually believe the intent of the NFA laws are to allow you to build AR15 pistols with forearm braces, with barrels less than 16"/OAL's less than 26", and therefore not have to buy a tax stamp for them?  Because you "designed it" to be a "pistol" and therefore it's ok to go ahead and ignore the fact that it has never, ever been fired one handed using the brace for it's intended purpose, but instead is used exactly like an SBR?

The double standard here is INCREDIBLE.

On one hand, every member here will rail all day long about "Shall not be infringed," myself included.  We are quite literally up in arms about our rights being infringed, and can't understand how any sane individual doesn't see how nearly every firearm law on the books in actually infringing on our rights in some way.  We quote endlessly from the writings of the founding fathers about their actual intent when writing the second amendment, to support our cause.  Because, as you say, words matter, but obviously so does the intent behind those words.

Then, on the other hand, you'll happily pick apart a law you DON'T like word-by-word looking for any possible way to circumvent it, despite the fact that you probably KNOW that the intent behind the law, however unconstitutional it may be, does not support what you are actually doing.  You KNOW it, because, just as the founding fathers couldn't foresee AR15's, computers, the internet, etc., the Bill of Rights was made to be the law of the land unless actually changed by the process spelled out in the document itself; and the writers of the NFA couldn't foresee a bunch of people using a specific, extremely mutable firearm platform to circumvent their law.

The NFA is unconstitutional.  It directly infringes on our rights as enumerated in the Second Amendment.  The people who passed it, and who continue to pass restrictive firearm laws in the various states, and attempt to pass them nationally, are wiping their ass with The Constitution.  They follow it only when they benefit from it, and ignore it or do end-runs around it when they don't.  This is EXACTLY what is happening with the NFA in these cases.  If an obviously guilty person got away with a crime because of a technicality in the law, you would be OUTRAGED.  Here, instead you are ECSTATIC.  

They way to deal with an unconstitutional law is to destroy it, not to ignore it or hunt endlessly for loopholes in it, based on specific wording written a hundred years ago in a completely different world.  And, as I said before, the more you do this, the more you educate the other side.  And the more airtight and restrictive their future attempts will be, when they are back in power.  And the WILL be back in power.  To think otherwise is to have your head in the sand.

Change the laws, AND the lawmakers, that you don't like.  Or, pepper thy angus for the backlash.  Myself?  I'm hoping for a couple new SCJ's before the end of the current administration.  Then we can actually start challenging, for realsies, this continuing unconstitutional bullshit.

Remember...you are fighting against cowards and criminals.  They won't accomplish their goal to disarm you correctly, i.e. with a Constitutional Amendment.  Instead, they will pick apart our rights with new laws that ignore the Second Amendment, death by a thousand cuts.  You aren't even doing THAT.  That would entail passing new laws that modified or deleted parts of the NFA.  You're just choosing to ignore it, or, at the very least, the intent behind it, which I already agreed was crap and unconstitutional.  But it's a law, nonetheless.
View Quote
Just a quick sidebar here: we all really need to understand that INTENT IS MEANINGLESS.  Irrelevant.  Not germane.  Superfluous.  Immaterial.  Extraneous.  Impertinent.  Inconsequential.  TO BE IGNORED.

In a free society, all statutory ambiguity shall be found in favor of the people.  Seriously, that's not a joke - I don't give 2 squirts about the "intent" of a law, and neither should you.
Link Posted: 1/15/2018 3:51:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Just a quick sidebar here: we all really need to understand that INTENT IS MEANINGLESS.  Irrelevant.  Not germane.  Superfluous.  Immaterial.  Extraneous.  Impertinent.  Inconsequential.  TO BE IGNORED.

In a free society, all statutory ambiguity shall be found in favor of the people.  Seriously, that's not a joke - I don't give 2 squirts about the "intent" of a law, and neither should you.
View Quote
Interesting position. I can't say that I disagree. The road to hell is paved with good intentions, or something.
Link Posted: 1/15/2018 3:57:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Maybe it identifies as a full 20” AR.
View Quote
loooooolz only if its a (D) controlled court, ahahahahahahhaha  thats the best angle and the obvious choice for this product.....
Link Posted: 1/15/2018 4:05:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Interesting position. I can't say that I disagree. The road to hell is paved with good intentions, or something.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I mean, follow the letter of the law and all, because we're not animals.  But fuck intent.
Link Posted: 1/15/2018 4:23:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote
In principle, I agree with this.  In reality, it would require a level of infallibility in the writing of laws that simply doesn't exist.  It would also require either a foolproof way to amend laws when the wording is found to be flawed, or having a law on the books that would cover any conceivable situation that could ever arise.  You could fill the Library of Congress with nothing but law books and not have enough.  Thus, we have people (judges, etc.) who interpret the intent behind the laws.  Flawed though they may be.  That's the world we live in.  Or, at least, the world I live in.  I don't know about some of you people.
Link Posted: 1/15/2018 4:28:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Somebody mentioned something about "golf ball" dimpling in the barrel.

I don't know how that would be manufacturable, or if it would be enough to impart sufficient rotation to the projectile.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think anyone has suggested this yet.

What about one or more spirals of a very rough surface finish going down the barrel.  Think rough etched spiral lines down the bore. It would be difficult, but laser etching could potentially do it with the right fixturing.  It might have enough friction to impart adequate spin on the bullet and it certainly would't be rifled or smooth bore.
Link Posted: 1/15/2018 4:32:56 PM EDT
[#17]
NRS = Necessitates Rampant Speculation

Link Posted: 1/15/2018 4:33:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
In principle, I agree with this.  In reality, it would require a level of infallibility in the writing of laws that simply doesn't exist.  It would also require either a foolproof way to amend laws when the wording is found to be flawed, or having a law on the books that would cover any conceivable situation that could ever arise.  You could fill the Library of Congress with nothing but law books and not have enough.  Thus, we have people (judges, etc.) who interpret the intent behind the laws.  Flawed though they may be.  That's the world we live in.  Or, at least, the world I live in.  I don't know about some of you people.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, it sounds like we live in the same world.  You yourself said it's not our job to interpret intent, that's the job of the courts.  Let them do it, and then adjust your behavior accordingly - which is exactly what is happening here with pistol braces, and whatever this thing is from Franklin Armory.

There's no moral imperative for an individual to "interpret" laws, merely to follow them.  And depending on how you feel about constitutional matters, disobey the unlawful ones; but that's not up to me to decide.  Nor is devining the intent of some asshole legislator, all I can go on is what they wrote, and what the courts have had to say about what they wrote.
Link Posted: 1/15/2018 4:49:16 PM EDT
[#19]
According to some of their other product offerings:
The XO-26™ is a cross over between rifles and pistols.  The 26 refers to the absolute minimum length of the firearm as allotted by federal law.  However, we chose to make the length an inch longer than necessary so that it would still be long enough to qualify as a non-AOW even if the muzzle device was removed.  This length also makes it easier to see the chamber indication.

Maybe this is the same logic they are using on their new product?
Link Posted: 1/15/2018 4:51:53 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

No, it sounds like we live in the same world.  You yourself said it's not our job to interpret intent, that's the job of the courts.  Let them do it, and then adjust your behavior accordingly - which is exactly what is happening here with pistol braces, and whatever this thing is from Franklin Armory.

There's no moral imperative for an individual to "interpret" laws, merely to follow them.  And depending on how you feel about constitutional matters, disobey the unlawful ones; but that's not up to me to decide.  Nor is devining the intent of some asshole legislator, all I can go on is what they wrote, and what the courts have had to say about what they wrote.
View Quote
Ok...but, again, none of that is what's happening here.  We are not having "the courts" interpret the legality of the NFA in regards to these new items manufacturers are designing to avoid the restrictions written into the law.  We're all dancing for joy when someone gets the ATF to write an opinion saying something they came up with (brace, binary trigger, whatever this new thing is) falls outside the regulatory portion of the NFA.  Their opinion is just that, an opinion.  It has about as much legal weight as my opinion, or yours, if push came to shove.  The fact that they CHANGE their opinion of a fairly regular basis would be easy for someone prosecuting you for an NFA violation to pick apart.

Why not put the efforts to CHANGING (or repealing) the laws as opposed to finding ways around them?
Link Posted: 1/15/2018 4:52:36 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 1/15/2018 4:56:51 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Ok...but, again, none of that is what's happening here.  We are not having "the courts" interpret the legality of the NFA in regards to these new items manufacturers are designing to avoid the restrictions written into the law.  We're all dancing for joy when someone gets the ATF to write an opinion saying something they came up with (brace, binary trigger, whatever this new thing is) falls outside the regulatory portion of the NFA.  Their opinion is just that, an opinion.  It has about as much legal weight as my opinion, or yours, if push came to shove.  The fact that they CHANGE their opinion of a fairly regular basis would be easy for someone prosecuting you for an NFA violation to pick apart.

Why not put the efforts to CHANGING (or repealing) the laws as opposed to finding ways around them?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because while I want the NFA repealed, I have no idea when or if that will happen, and I want to have a firearms that takes AR mags and accessories and uses AR controls and has a 10.5" barrel now.

Utilizing the workaround doesn't mean I don't favor a repeal. Get both and all that
Link Posted: 1/15/2018 5:01:59 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do both.

Legally circumventing the unconstitutional NFA serves two purposes.  1) it gets more items into more hands, making them more mainstream.  2) it highlights the absurdity of the law, and informs more people as to the absurdity of the law.

Both of these things serve a valuable purpose for eventual challenging and changing the law.  When the courts contemplate the intent (as is their job): for example - if "pistols" are very common and yet there is no discernable illegal misuse of them, then that is good evidence that the law is superfluous, precisely BECAUSE a brace can be used like a stock.

Again, I understand your position: "change the law don't flout it" - I'm saying that is exactly the wrong position to take because flouting it serves a valuable purpose to changing it AND it isn't our job to guess what some lying politician "intended".

That's all I'm saying.
Link Posted: 1/15/2018 5:10:27 PM EDT
[#24]
Still nothing.

Maybe there should be a pole of the likely ways just to see where everyone one is at.

1. Barrel/bore

2. Trigger

3. Barrel length/stock magic.

I'm for 2.
Link Posted: 1/15/2018 5:12:34 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Another possible clue is they don't make any statement of caliber offerings.  When a manufacturer releases a new firearm, they typically list the calibers it will be initially offered in.  They don't do that here. The mag certainly looks like a standard 5.56/.300BLK mag, and it very well could be. However, my guess is that it shoots a new ammo that has stabilizing features similar to shotgun slugs.  It could even be a standards round like 5.56 or .300BLK, but with a new projectile.

That's my guess.
View Quote
This. Fin stabilized sabot with 5.56 projectile.
Link Posted: 1/15/2018 5:12:43 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Still nothing.

Maybe there should be a pole of the likely ways just to see where everyone one is at.

1. Barrel/bore

2. Trigger

3. Barrel length/stock magic.

I'm for 2.
View Quote
FA said not the trigger.
Link Posted: 1/15/2018 5:17:52 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

FA said not the trigger.
View Quote
They also said not smooth bore and I don't know how they would patent a barrel they don't manufacturer.

So 3 then
Link Posted: 1/15/2018 5:20:06 PM EDT
[#28]
Non Rifled Stabilization. That's what the acronym stands for.
Link Posted: 1/15/2018 5:33:34 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

They also said not smooth bore and I don't know how they would patent a barrel they don't manufacturer.

So 3 then
View Quote
Easy, apply for a provisional patent on the idea, then aproach a barrel manufacturer and have them sign a non disclosure aggreement before giving them the specs.  Happens all the time.

I still think the "mare's leg" stock is the most plausable idea floated so far.  Make it over 26" OAL and pin the stock colapsed so its usless unless your a midget or wearing body armor.
Link Posted: 1/15/2018 5:35:23 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Do both.

Legally circumventing the unconstitutional NFA serves two purposes.  1) it gets more items into more hands, making them more mainstream.  2) it highlights the absurdity of the law, and informs more people as to the absurdity of the law.

Both of these things serve a valuable purpose for eventual challenging and changing the law.  When the courts contemplate the intent (as is their job): for example - if "pistols" are very common and yet there is no discernable illegal misuse of them, then that is good evidence that the law is superfluous, precisely BECAUSE a brace can be used like a stock.

Again, I understand your position: "change the law don't flout it" - I'm saying that is exactly the wrong position to take because flouting it serves a valuable purpose to changing it AND it isn't our job to guess what some lying politician "intended".

That's all I'm saying.
View Quote
I understand.  And respectfully disagree.

To your mind, my path is slow and uncertain.  It may never happen.

To my mind, your path is short-sighted, and potentially harmful.

I guess the good part of all of this is we are both fighting for our rights.
Link Posted: 1/15/2018 5:38:17 PM EDT
[#31]
NRS = Not Real Suckas
Link Posted: 1/15/2018 5:44:11 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
NRS = Necessitates Rampant Speculation

View Quote
Close.  It actually stands for Needless Rampant Speculation.
Link Posted: 1/15/2018 5:57:34 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Easy, apply for a provisional patent on the idea, then aproach a barrel manufacturer and have them sign a non disclosure aggreement before giving them the specs.  Happens all the time.

I still think the "mare's leg" stock is the most plausable idea floated so far.  Make it over 26" OAL and pin the stock colapsed so its usless unless your a midget or wearing body armor.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I think you're on the right track. I was just looking at Shockwave braces and saw their info (direct from ATF) about shouldering them:

"Length of pull"---for lack of a better word regarding pistol braces---begins to enter a "gray area" above 13.5". Above 13.5" begins "to enter shoulder stock area." (His words. I believe this has to do with the "comfortableness" aspect.) On an AR-15 pistol, the "length of pull" for the Blade is approximately 13.13", so no issues there. But if you use the Blade on a firearm that requires a large adapter of some sort, please make sure that you only use the dimples up to the point that you remain below the 13.5" length. Stay below 13.5" and according to ATF, it's okay to shoulder a Shockwave Blade.
If a brace with LOP of less than 13.5" is okay, then why not an actual stock pinned to less than 13.5"?

Edit: wasn't ATF okay with short pinned stocks for AR pistols a couple decades ago?
Link Posted: 1/15/2018 6:07:00 PM EDT
[#34]
FWIW,

NRS = Nevada Revised Statues
Link Posted: 1/15/2018 6:08:11 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do both.

That's all I'm saying.

10-4

And FWIW - I probably took exception to your POV because I tend to think the "intent" angle is a BS trope of the left when they whine about lawful people exercising their rights.  I know you're not doing anything of that sort here, I'm just explaining why I bristle at "intent".  I do the same with "need" - since when do I have to "need" something to want to own it?

Anyway, cheers
Link Posted: 1/15/2018 6:08:35 PM EDT
[#36]
NRS: Non-Repeating Semi

Nowhere in the press release does it call this action semi auto. If you zoom in on the selector markings, safe is easy to read, but where SEMI would be, it's blurred out. The other setting is "binary".

I think this is a version of the British solution to semi-auto rifles. One pull fires, releasing (or a second pull) closes the bolt again. If they've argued that each action of the trigger is a separate pull, Binary isn't a machine gun, nor is it semi auto.
Link Posted: 1/15/2018 6:15:23 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Nowhere in the press release does it call this action semi auto. If you zoom in on the selector markings, safe is easy to read, but where SEMI would be, it's blurred out. The other setting is "binary".

I think this is a version of the British solution to semi-auto rifles. One pull fires, releasing (or a second pull) closes the bolt again. If they've argued that each action of the trigger is a separate pull, Binary isn't a machine gun, nor is it semi auto.
View Quote
Semi or not makes no difference to a rifles legal status.
Link Posted: 1/15/2018 6:15:29 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I think you're on the right track. I was just looking at Shockwave braces and saw their info (direct from ATF) about shouldering them:

If a brace with LOP of less than 13.5" is okay, then why not an actual stock pinned to less than 13.5"?

Edit: wasn't ATF okay with short pinned stocks for AR pistols a couple decades ago?
View Quote
That information from shockwave has never been confirmed and most people consider it absolute made up BS. They never did get it in writing
Link Posted: 1/15/2018 6:17:36 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote
how the hell am I supposed to bumpfire that?...
Link Posted: 1/15/2018 6:32:23 PM EDT
[#40]
I thought about it again. There is only one way it could be done - rifled barrel in .410. It is "not a shotgun" at it shoots a shotgun shell through a rifled barrel. It is "not a rifle" as it shoots a shotgun shell. Thus, no definition applies to this firearm and NFA is null and void.
Link Posted: 1/15/2018 6:35:59 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote
FA Marketing Manager, if you’re reading this, know that your Ben Franklin logo looks like someone traced a stubby weiner.
Link Posted: 1/15/2018 7:24:04 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 1/15/2018 8:24:37 PM EDT
[#43]
Somewhere, dozen pages back " Someone" speculated that the arm  might fire from an  open bolt.

With the bolt at rest, in " Ready to Fire" condition, the  BATFE Standard Measuring Rod dropped down bore, from muzzle would  then  transit  first the muzzle device, then the barrel, and THEN the full depth of  barrel extension PLUS the BOLT travel distance...
Link Posted: 1/15/2018 8:28:28 PM EDT
[#44]
Almost as big a mystery as the Vegas shooting!!!!
Link Posted: 1/15/2018 8:28:36 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Somewhere, dozen pages back " Someone" speculated that the arm  might fire from an  open bolt.

With the bolt at rest, in " Ready to Fire" condition, the  BATFE Standard Measuring Rod dropped down bore, from muzzle would  then  transit  first the muzzle device, then the barrel, and THEN the full depth of  barrel extension PLUS the BOLT travel distance...
View Quote
Open bolt guns aren't allowed anymore. And even then they're still measured with the bolt forward.
Link Posted: 1/15/2018 8:49:36 PM EDT
[#46]
I've read through most of this but without reading every single post .......

What if the gases expelled from the fired round could be somehow directed in a way to spin the bullet ?
Link Posted: 1/15/2018 8:52:13 PM EDT
[#47]
I only care if it's something I can build myself.

Not going to pay Franklin Armory $2,200.00 for a "non" SBR
Link Posted: 1/15/2018 8:59:49 PM EDT
[#48]
It is a rifled .410. 100%
Link Posted: 1/15/2018 9:05:02 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
It is a rifled .410. 100%
View Quote
From a Pmag, though?
Link Posted: 1/15/2018 9:09:01 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

From a Pmag, though?
View Quote
Why not? Single stack, it should feed. Perhaps the mag lips are tweeked.
Page / 80
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top