Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/1/2020 1:09:59 PM EDT
If I remember correctly the myth busters said falling bullets wouldn’t be lethal because the terminal velocity of gravity would slow down a bullet but now I disagree.

He lives in Atlanta and was asleep.  A rifle round (looks like 5.56) came vertically down through his roof and put a good dent in his hardwood floor.

PSA - I’m sure we all know this by now.... don’t fire into the air!
Link Posted: 1/1/2020 1:11:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Arab wedding near by?
Link Posted: 1/1/2020 1:11:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
If I remember correctly the myth busters said falling bullets wouldn’t be lethal because the terminal velocity of gravity would slow down a bullet but now I disagree.

He lives in Atlanta and was asleep.  A rifle round (looks like 5.56) came vertically down through his roof and put a good dent in his hardwood floor.

View Quote
Was a less than vertical flight path.
Link Posted: 1/1/2020 1:12:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote
The bullet wasn’t falling
Link Posted: 1/1/2020 1:12:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Space Force!
Link Posted: 1/1/2020 1:12:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Problem is no one fires them off at 90*

When your arc them they go a long way and still fuck stuff up
Link Posted: 1/1/2020 1:12:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/1/2020 1:12:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Someone firing in the air most likely didn’t fire it perfectly straight up...despite what it looks like from one hole.

OP = scienze failure
Link Posted: 1/1/2020 1:14:22 PM EDT
[#8]
There was some idiot down the road doing a mag dump last night.  What a waste of good ammunition.
Link Posted: 1/1/2020 1:15:08 PM EDT
[#9]
I heard shooting for hours (off and on) last night.

And I worried that something like that would happen.
Mostly I fear rounds coming through the windows.

I don't think party goes with guns think about their backstops.
Link Posted: 1/1/2020 1:15:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Had a LT in Iraq have a round come in and take out his DVD player in his mobile trailer.

My buddy in the next trailer over had a round come into the side of his trailer and poke halfway through.  The trajectory of it put it right into his pillow had it kept going.
Link Posted: 1/1/2020 1:19:23 PM EDT
[#11]
It's very unlikely that the bullet was falling, in spite of how it appears.

Hatcher calculated that his .30-caliber rifle bullets reached terminal velocity—the speed at which air resistance balances the accelerating force of gravity—at 300 feet per second. You might die from a bullet moving at that speed, but it’s unlikely. Lighter bullets, like those fired from a 9mm handgun, max out at even lower speeds, between 150 and 250 feet per second, according to computer models.
View Quote
Link
Link Posted: 1/1/2020 1:21:02 PM EDT
[#12]
What goes up must come down.  Simple physics!
Link Posted: 1/1/2020 1:21:33 PM EDT
[#13]
LoL, no. Science.
Link Posted: 1/1/2020 1:23:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Problem is no one fires them off at 90*
View Quote
Well yeah,  I don't want it to land on my house
Link Posted: 1/1/2020 1:26:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Arab wedding near by?
View Quote
Wouldn't that be 7.62 ?
Link Posted: 1/1/2020 1:26:17 PM EDT
[#16]
A guy walking downtown here had a bullet fired from somewhere far away hit a cellphone in his shirt pocket and destroy it
Link Posted: 1/1/2020 1:26:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Had a LT in Iraq have a round come in and take out his DVD player in his mobile trailer.

My buddy in the next trailer over had a round come into the side of his trailer and poke halfway through.  The trajectory of it put it right into his pillow had it kept going.
View Quote
Al Taqaddam, by any chance?  The Iraqi Security Forces would roll up to the side of the road and mag dump AKs toward the base ALL THE TIME.

I might have a 7.62 round somewhere that landed at the Provincial Gov't Center due to 'happy fire.'
Link Posted: 1/1/2020 1:27:52 PM EDT
[#18]
My buddy had 1 come thru his car windshield last night
Link Posted: 1/1/2020 1:28:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Damn!
Link Posted: 1/1/2020 1:29:21 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 1/1/2020 1:29:32 PM EDT
[#21]
I should buy a black powder ball pistol for holiday celebrations
Link Posted: 1/1/2020 1:30:23 PM EDT
[#22]
I was cleaning the gutters a few years ago and there was a 9mm bullet buried half in the shingles. Crazy stuff.
Link Posted: 1/1/2020 1:30:48 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Wouldn't that be 7.62 ?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Arab wedding near by?
Wouldn't that be 7.62 ?
Not necessarily we hand out M4s/M16s like candy
Link Posted: 1/1/2020 1:32:00 PM EDT
[#24]
Use a long thin dowel rod or even string to connect the ceiling and roof holes to see the actual angle of entry.

At long distances bullets are dropping fast.  Use a ballistic calculator set to 10 yard increments and see the drop rate.

At 1000 yards StrelokPro says my 80 grain Sierra Match King is still doing over 1000 fps but dropping about 10 inches for every 10 yards.

At 1500 yards it’s doing 850 fps and dropping over 30 inches every 10 yards.

Someone else can calculate the angle of those drops.
Link Posted: 1/1/2020 1:39:05 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The magic bullet...
Link Posted: 1/1/2020 1:41:27 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Use a long thin dowel rod or even string to connect the ceiling and roof holes to see the actual angle of entry.

At long distances bullets are dropping fast.  Use a ballistic calculator set to 10 yard increments and see the drop rate.

At 1000 yards StrelokPro says my 80 grain Sierra Match King is still doing over 1000 fps but dropping about 10 inches for every 10 yards.

View Quote
I’ll tell him to do this, I’ve only seen pictures but it looks like it came in literally vertical.  Through a roof and attic
Link Posted: 1/1/2020 1:45:19 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote
I saw that episode of CSI, too.
Link Posted: 1/1/2020 1:46:49 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Al Taqaddam, by any chance?  The Iraqi Security Forces would roll up to the side of the road and mag dump AKs toward the base ALL THE TIME.

I might have a 7.62 round somewhere that landed at the Provincial Gov't Center due to 'happy fire.'
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Victory Base, Dodge City south.  Also had a dud mortar in the trailer area.  That was fun the next morning seeing a mortar sticking out of the ground about 30-50m from our trailers.  
Link Posted: 1/1/2020 1:47:27 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Not necessarily we hand out M4s/M16s like candy
View Quote
Thanks Eric Holder.
Link Posted: 1/1/2020 1:48:15 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
LoL, no. Science.
View Quote
This.
Link Posted: 1/1/2020 1:49:33 PM EDT
[#31]
We used to live in an area that sounded like a war-zone from ~11:45-12:15. Now that we're in the 'burbs, all was relatively quiet. However, I imagine we're now in the beaten zone from idiots in the city. The thought crossed my mind of putting my ACH on our daughter.

Quoted:
There was some idiot down the road doing a mag dump last night.  What a waste of good ammunition.
View Quote
While I was in Academy's ammo isle the other day I heard several people talking about buying ammo just to blast-off at New Year's.
Link Posted: 1/1/2020 1:49:53 PM EDT
[#32]
The bullet has to have maintained trajectory. A bullet free falling is tumbling and will not hurt anything.
Link Posted: 1/1/2020 1:50:31 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 1/1/2020 1:50:42 PM EDT
[#34]
Brother is a Sheriff Deputy at an airport in FL. Couple years ago he came out and found a bullet hole in the hood of his police car after new years. It went through the sheet metal and stopped by the hood frame. It definitely came from someone firing into the air but what angle, no idea. It had to be filled and repainted.
Link Posted: 1/1/2020 1:51:58 PM EDT
[#35]
A woman was killed last night in Houston TX.

Woman dies after being hit by celebratory gunfire
Link Posted: 1/1/2020 1:55:33 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I’ll tell him to do this, I’ve only seen pictures but it looks like it came in literally vertical.  Through a roof and attic
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

As I think about this the bullet would drop more rapidly after passing through the first barrier (ceiling) so the angle of the two holes would be greater than the actual "in air" drop rate.

The Sierra Match King in my example is an extremely efficient .224 bullet.  Any handgun bullet and most rifle bullets idiots would fire into the air would be dropping way faster much closer to the muzzle.

Here's an image of what a bullet's trajectory really looks like.  It starts out on a steady upward slanted angle but once it starts dropping the angle of drop increases significantly the further out it goes.

Link Posted: 1/1/2020 1:56:17 PM EDT
[#37]
Nope.

A falling 62 gr (assumed) bullet will not penetrate shingles/metal, roofing felt, decking, insulation in the attic, ceiling sheetrock and then leave a dent in a hardwood floor.

Picture of the offending bullet?
Link Posted: 1/1/2020 1:57:37 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
The bullet has to have maintained trajectory. A bullet free falling is tumbling and will not hurt anything.
View Quote
Right I understand that but this came in so close to being vertical that it toes the line line. Anyways the point of this thread was to educate.  I’m sure there’s members here who were shooting in the air last night
Link Posted: 1/1/2020 1:58:58 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Right I understand that but this came in so close to being vertical that it toes the line line. Anyways the point of this thread was to educate.  I’m sure there’s members here who were shooting in the air last night
View Quote
I am not sure there were members here shooting up into the sky.
Link Posted: 1/1/2020 1:59:02 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Nope.

A falling 62 gr (assumed) bullet will not penetrate shingles/metal, roofing felt, decking, insulation in the attic, ceiling sheetrock and then leave a dent in a hardwood floor.

Picture of the offending bullet?
View Quote
That’s what I thought.  How do I host the pics
Link Posted: 1/1/2020 1:59:45 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote
A bullet fired straight up would have bounced off his roof. That bullet was fired at a steep angle by an idiot. Much like anyone who doesn't understand terminal velocity vs a bullet on an arcing trajectory.
Link Posted: 1/1/2020 2:00:08 PM EDT
[#42]
Holllywood meets fucking ID10T's. Glad no one was injured from this bullet.
Link Posted: 1/1/2020 2:00:39 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

That’s what I thought.  How do I host the pics
View Quote
No disrespect, but you have over 2900 posts here and you don't know how to post pictures?

ETA: In retrospect I know nothing about you. My apologies.

If you would like help with this then PM me and I will help you out.
Link Posted: 1/1/2020 2:01:06 PM EDT
[#44]
P.J. O'Rourke said when we liberated Kuwait there was a period of almost two weeks by order when you weren't allowed outside with a helmet and body armor because every Kuwaiti in the country was mag dumping into the air. If I recall, he said they had plenty of ammo, since they hadn't fired any of it at the Iraqis.
Link Posted: 1/1/2020 2:02:47 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
P.J. O'Rourke said when we liberated Kuwait there was a period of almost two weeks by order when you weren't allowed outside with a helmet and body armor because every Kuwaiti in the country was mag dumping into the air. If I recall, he said they had plenty of ammo, since they hadn't fired any of it at the Iraqis.
View Quote
A 30 caliber bullet will have a bit more ouch to it than a .22 caliber bullet.
Link Posted: 1/1/2020 2:04:00 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So your friend shot a round straight up into the air and it fell on his house? Was it his next door neighbor?  If terminal velocity is to blame it must be falling and not spinning and traveling ballistically.
Link Posted: 1/1/2020 2:07:10 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Arab wedding near by?
View Quote
Celebratory gunfire at Arab weddings
Link Posted: 1/1/2020 2:08:11 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote
This.
If it went up and stopped then came back down. It would most likely not be dangerous.

However, and arched trajectory will not allow the round to lose enough enough kinetic energy to render it less dangerous.

Think in terms of A LOT of target hold over.
Link Posted: 1/1/2020 2:08:43 PM EDT
[#49]
By chance Was the roofing a blue poly tarp.?
Link Posted: 1/1/2020 2:08:47 PM EDT
[#50]
I call total BS.

A fired bullet would never hit the roof tip first unless it was fired straight down.

A bullet in a ballistic arc does not "Nose Over". The spin on the bullet keeps the bullet aligned to axis of the bore the entire flight, that is the whole point of the rifling.

Bullets are not footballs.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top