Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/21/2022 7:13:19 PM EDT
[#1]
My grandfather always got a orange in his stocking. He did it to my mother and aunt and uncles.
My mother did it for me and my brothers.
I always have a orange on Christmas morning.

Grandpa would always tell us the story of keeping it and waiting too long. Then eating it right before it was no good any more.
Link Posted: 12/21/2022 7:15:29 PM EDT
[#2]
I knew a woman who was a child during WWII in Germany. One Christmas during the war she received an orange. It was the only gift she got and she cried because she was so happy to get it.
Link Posted: 12/21/2022 7:21:20 PM EDT
[#3]
A Christmas stocking isn’t complete with a high quality orange (or sometimes apple in the toe).

A holdover from when fruit not local was expensive and a rare treat shipped by train and individually packed in paper to protect it.
Link Posted: 12/21/2022 7:26:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Op. Thank you for the wonderful memories. Merry Christmas!
Link Posted: 12/21/2022 7:48:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Oranges with a billion cloves stuck in them hanging around. Also all the baptists in the family made run soaked fruitcake for the holidays  lol.
View Quote

They call that a Lane Cake in South Alabama. Mom told me they would make it right after thanksgiving, stick it out on the back porch covered in cheese cloth, and pour rum over it once a week til Christmas.
Link Posted: 12/21/2022 7:50:50 PM EDT
[#6]
My mom used to always buy a bunch of nectarines around christmas
Link Posted: 12/21/2022 9:20:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Great story. Thank you for sharing and merry Christmas to you and yours.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top