Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/10/2016 10:37:32 PM EDT
http://9gag.com/tv/p/a66kmk/full-conact-sword-fighting?ref=tcr[/youtube]
This totally needs to be an olympic sport.
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 10:40:38 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

http://9gag.com/tv/p/a66kmk/full-conact-sword-fighting?ref=tcr[/youtube]

This totally needs to be an olympic sport.

View Quote
Hot linking totally needs to be a sport.
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 10:43:44 PM EDT
[#2]
What the fuck? That looks hardcore!

Link Posted: 6/10/2016 10:44:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 10:49:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Dude, I'm surprised someone didn't die in that event.

Really cool, but seriously that is how entire civilizations killed each other historically. No where near safe with a high likelihood of serious bodily injury and/or death.
Impossible.

Interesting idea, but that shit is no joke.
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 10:54:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Really cool, but seriously that is how entire civilizations killed each other historically. No where near safe with a high likelihood of serious bodily injury and/or death.
Impossible.

View Quote

You're not familiar with Russians, are you.
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 10:56:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Would go watch
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 10:57:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Impossible.

So,  just another Sunday afternoon in Moscow?
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 10:57:43 PM EDT
[#8]
So they lightly tap each other with swords and axes and when you trip and fall after stumbling over your own team mates leg your dead LOL
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 11:02:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Impossible.

View Quote

Heavy armor - it works. It's not bad, actually significantly less injuries than e.g. full contact karate tournaments.

IIRC Russia had less than 1 death a year in all of medieval combat events, back when I was over there in the 90s. Eye injuries from bowmen were common, but probably a lot less now, with better gear. Broken fingers and concussions are sort of the biggest thing in those sports. A guy I knew had no upper teeth, cause someone kicked his shield.

The video above - as far as I understand their rules, someone is "out" when they fall. Which is sort of a lame system, but at the same time it's hard to figure out a better one. Knocking out someone in plate armor is not easy (especially without permanent damage), and doing a "hit points" system is sorta gay.
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 11:12:33 PM EDT
[#10]
We covered this live last year. Team USA destroyed a bunch of teams.
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 11:13:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
So they lightly tap each other with swords and axes and when you trip and fall after stumbling over your own team mates leg your dead LOL
View Quote

Those strikes are brutal. They are trying to fuck each other up..
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 11:16:07 PM EDT
[#12]
something doesn't compute

when they dig up battlefield dead from those days, the bodies have sword strikes that took off arms and legs

Link Posted: 6/10/2016 11:21:53 PM EDT
[#13]
The thread title could have meant something totally different on Thursday.
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 11:27:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 11:35:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

when they dig up battlefield dead from those days, the bodies have sword strikes that took off arms and legs

View Quote

I'll take a wild guess and suggest that those dead weren't wearing much for armor.
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 11:38:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I'll take a wild guess and suggest that those dead weren't wearing much for armor.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would also assume that weapons are blunt.
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 11:38:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And it wasn't a game of tackle and smack each other.  The blows didn't stop until death.
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 11:44:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

a full suit of plate was extremely expensive.  you know how everyone on arfcom owns a rifle, but only a few guys could afford to show up for militia duty with their own tank?  that kind of expensive.

Link Posted: 6/10/2016 11:46:10 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

View Quote
Most of those are from unarmored peasants.

Link Posted: 6/10/2016 11:46:53 PM EDT
[#20]
Seeing shit like that makes me want a sword.

Link Posted: 6/10/2016 11:48:43 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 11:51:57 PM EDT
[#22]
Fuck that
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 11:53:40 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

a full suit of plate was extremely expensive.  you know how everyone on arfcom owns a rifle, but only a few guys could afford to show up for militia duty with their own tank?  that kind of expensive.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup. And you'd kill a knight by knocking him down, then shanking. These tournaments don't use piercing weapons.

Also seems like the impact weapons are reasonably light - still pretty brutal, but no sledgehammers or anything.
That said, I've seen a guy in a plate helmet knocked out cold with a broadsword to the back of the head.
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 11:56:31 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

And it wasn't a game of tackle and smack each other.  The blows didn't stop until long, long, after death.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And it wasn't a game of tackle and smack each other.  The blows didn't stop until long, long, after death.

Link Posted: 6/11/2016 12:01:46 AM EDT
[#25]
Those are national teams too. I assume the Ukraine vs Russia team matches were not friendly.
Link Posted: 6/11/2016 12:05:19 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Heavy armor - it works. It's not bad, actually significantly less injuries than e.g. full contact karate tournaments.

IIRC Russia had less than 1 death a year in all of medieval combat events, back when I was over there in the 90s. Eye injuries from bowmen were common, but probably a lot less now, with better gear. Broken fingers and concussions are sort of the biggest thing in those sports. A guy I knew had no upper teeth, cause someone kicked his shield.

The video above - as far as I understand their rules, someone is "out" when they fall. Which is sort of a lame system, but at the same time it's hard to figure out a better one. Knocking out someone in plate armor is not easy (especially without permanent damage), and doing a "hit points" system is sorta gay.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Impossible.

To be fair,mi imagine the last place you want to be in a melee wearing heavy armor is on the ground.  Death is probably just an inevitability if you end up on your ass and some dude is wailing on your weak spots with a fucking axe or hammer.
Link Posted: 6/11/2016 12:08:07 AM EDT
[#27]
Holy shit! People do this? Why haven't we had multiple threads on this before?
Link Posted: 6/11/2016 12:08:20 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
We covered this live last year. Team USA destroyed a bunch of teams.
View Quote

America.  We're good at winning.

I remember the thread last year.
Link Posted: 6/11/2016 12:09:09 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Taste the chain.
Link Posted: 6/11/2016 12:10:29 AM EDT
[#30]
There can be only one?
Link Posted: 6/11/2016 12:11:22 AM EDT
[#31]
has any one died doing that.? That is pretty high on my NOPE meter.
Link Posted: 6/11/2016 12:14:06 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Yup. And you'd kill a knight by knocking him down, then shanking. These tournaments don't use piercing weapons.

Also seems like the impact weapons are reasonably light - still pretty brutal, but no sledgehammers or anything.
That said, I've seen a guy in a plate helmet knocked out cold with a broadsword to the back of the head.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Knocking him to the ground, or whacking him over the head with a mace.

People overestimate the effectiveness of plate armor. A helmet is only as good as the padding under it, and no matter how good the armor is, a solid hit to the side of the knee will bring you down, hard.

And a morning star fucks armor up, leaving the wearer with sever puncture wounds and broken bones.
Link Posted: 6/11/2016 12:23:25 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
has any one died doing that.? That is pretty high on my NOPE meter.
View Quote

my guess is less than a lot of other possible dangerous hobbies.
these guys are wearing full plate and supplemental chain armor, and the weapons are blunted, low mass, non-piercing. high risk of nonlethal injuries, but seems like quite low actual mortal danger.
Link Posted: 6/11/2016 12:23:32 AM EDT
[#34]
Those dudes are swinging fucking axes at each others necks....

Savage.
Link Posted: 6/11/2016 12:24:12 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I wish I could remember when and where I read it, but I do remember reading of one battle that involved most of the participants wearing heavy plate armor. If I remember correctly (been a VERY long time) the battle took place in the rain, so bows of either long or cross variety were not involved. The battle went for hours. It finally ended with no one dead and everyone going back to their sides out of exhaustion.
Link Posted: 6/11/2016 12:24:32 AM EDT
[#36]
http://medieval-combat.org/

Fun sport to follow, I admire their dedication and toughness.

Link Posted: 6/11/2016 12:26:20 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

Of guys not wearing armor on those parts
Link Posted: 6/11/2016 12:30:27 AM EDT
[#38]
Russians use pole arms to great effect vs team USA:

Link Posted: 6/11/2016 12:32:14 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Knocking him to the ground, or whacking him over the head with a mace.

People overestimate the effectiveness of plate armor. A helmet is only as good as the padding under it, and no matter how good the armor is, a solid hit to the side of the knee will bring you down, hard.
And a morning star fucks armor up, leaving the wearer with sever puncture wounds and broken bones.
View Quote

Proper padding is key.

My helm is 12guage steel and properly padded. MUCH better than what one wore in the past. I took a hit from an SCA dude and it nearly concussed me. He hit me  with a friggin rattan club and rung my bell real f'ing good. Had that been a  mace? I would have been severely brain damaged. Had I been wearing a period correct thin helm and taken a  mace? my helm would probably have been pressed into my skull.

Link Posted: 6/11/2016 12:32:22 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Fuck that
View Quote

This! I dont care if its dull, I dont want to get hit with a 8-10lb axe head thats on the end of an 6 ft pole.
Link Posted: 6/11/2016 12:32:56 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I wish I could remember when and where I read it, but I do remember reading of one battle that involved most of the participants wearing heavy plate armor. If I remember correctly (been a VERY long time) the battle took place in the rain, so bows of either long or cross variety were not involved. The battle went for hours. It finally ended with no one dead and everyone going back to their sides out of exhaustion.
View Quote

Agincourt
Link Posted: 6/11/2016 12:33:27 AM EDT
[#42]
dbl
Link Posted: 6/11/2016 12:35:25 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

The axes have dull blades.
Link Posted: 6/11/2016 12:36:39 AM EDT
[#44]
God its just unorganized retards smacking each other.
Link Posted: 6/11/2016 12:39:06 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That doesn't make a shit. Look at medieval weapons like the mace and Warhammer which killed the fuck outta people.

When a grown man swings a heavy ass axe, dull or not, it can crush your bones if its hits right.
Link Posted: 6/11/2016 12:42:45 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

http://youtu.be/Slu4MgS-Rzg
View All Quotes
Quoted:

http://youtu.be/Slu4MgS-Rzg

Quoted:
http://medieval-combat.org/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPbTWDeqQf0

Fun sport to follow, I admire their dedication and toughness.

Why do you guy post videos of the US losing?

Link Posted: 6/11/2016 12:45:10 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

Not everyone could afford heavy plate armor, my brother.  That shit was expensive back then.
Link Posted: 6/11/2016 12:45:47 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Why do you guy post videos of the US losing?

View Quote

Why not? It happens
Link Posted: 6/11/2016 12:48:50 AM EDT
[#49]
I guess we're not doing phrasing anymore.
Link Posted: 6/11/2016 12:49:28 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The swords and pole axes they're using in the video are not sharpened and are likely aluminum.  

So it's all repeated blunt force on the head, mostly.  I bet there's a ton of concussions.   That then get hit 50x more after the concission. Lol
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top