Link Posted: 10/16/2018 1:00:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Guessing....

A: Navy's Goat
B: Marine Sgt

View Quote
Looks like it's a Pontiac GTO, but it had me confused too.
Link Posted: 10/16/2018 3:27:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

There was a chaplain at ft Knox in 2000 that had a DS patch. Scared to talk to that guy
View Quote
Drill Sergeant Redd (D 1/79, Ft. Sill, '98-'99) was an ordained minister. He gave us sermons when he had duty on Sundays. He was a great man. Other drill sergeants would smoke the shit out of you if they heard you cuss while he was around.
Link Posted: 10/16/2018 3:58:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Looks like Ft. Sill.
Link Posted: 10/16/2018 6:38:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/16/2018 6:50:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/16/2018 6:55:50 PM EDT
[#6]
I've never stabbed anything with a bayonet.
Link Posted: 10/16/2018 6:59:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote
Nor have I.  But I do own one, so let's see what I can find to stab with it.
Link Posted: 10/16/2018 7:05:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/16/2018 7:07:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/16/2018 7:25:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/16/2018 7:53:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have plunged the blade of a bayonet into soft tissue. It was, of course, inside a C-rat can.
Link Posted: 10/16/2018 7:56:49 PM EDT
[#12]
I have a cousin who was a A-6 pilot in the Navy who served several tours of duty bombing NVN and close air support in the south. When the war ended he transitioned to being a Chaplain in the Air Force.  Go figure. He was the altimate Sky Pilot.
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 12:19:34 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote
I stabbed a mouse with my knife in the garbage trailer when I was supervising the hajis who took the trash out. Does that count?
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 2:49:37 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote
I didn't even stab any tires with mine in basic. Fucked my ankle up 2 days before the bayonet course, I rolled it bad enough that I was almost recycled.
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 3:25:17 AM EDT
[#15]
We didn't even do a bayonet course. We just mercilessly beat the fuck out of each other with pugil sticks a couple mornings.
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 3:27:07 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I didn't even stab any tires with mine in basic. Fucked my ankle up 2 days before the bayonet course, I rolled it bad enough that I was almost recycled.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
When I enlisted, there were two basic training bases for my MOS, Ft Dix and Ft Lostinthewoods.  I went to the latter. Dix still taught bayonet drills, Lostinthewoods didn't. Never even saw a bayonet in basic or AIT.
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 11:17:12 AM EDT
[#17]
That's a bummer. The bayonet assault course was one of the most fun parts of BCT for me. Like, if someone offered me a chance to to BCT again but only do the parts I enjoyed, it would be grenades, BRM, bayonets, and the fam fire on M60 and the AT4 trainer.
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 11:34:39 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^  

When my exGF's son was in basic I sent him the biggest pop up greeting card I could find.  In a pink envelope.  With lipstick prints and SWAK.

Drenched in perfume.

It was awesome.
View Quote
My girlfriend did that to me when I was in basic at Benning and again at jump school. Her dad had been a DS at Benning and told her it would be a great ida.
Yeah, I did so many push ups every time I got a letter from her.
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 11:43:00 AM EDT
[#19]
My cousin sent me a letter with kissy marks all over the envelope trying for a reaction. Not much happened. Drill sergeant made a little comment, and I did my normal pushups for mail. I don't know if other units did this but we were required to do 20 pushups every time we received mail.
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 2:23:31 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 3:31:14 PM EDT
[#21]

Link Posted: 10/17/2018 9:27:03 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 9:44:30 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 9:56:13 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 10:06:05 PM EDT
[#25]
Not fair, as he was in the Army and in Korea during the war.

Don't like his politics, but, he did serve.
Link Posted: 10/18/2018 2:43:57 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 10/18/2018 2:47:40 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
My girlfriend did that to me when I was in basic at Benning and again at jump school. Her dad had been a DS at Benning and told her it would be a great ida.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^  

When my exGF's son was in basic I sent him the biggest pop up greeting card I could find.  In a pink envelope.  With lipstick prints and SWAK.

Drenched in perfume.

It was awesome.
That happened to a kid in my son's company at Boot Camp. Someone told this kids girlfriend that he would appreciate it. A singing "I miss you" card.

The boy said he caught a ton of shit over that one.
Link Posted: 10/18/2018 3:14:42 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Not fair, as he was in the Army and in Korea after during the war was over.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Not fair, as he was in the Army and in Korea after during the war was over.

Fixed it for you. He did serve and was stationed in Korea, but not during the war.  He was 16 when the war ended.
Link Posted: 10/18/2018 3:16:28 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

He did serve and was stationed in Korea, but not during the war.  He was 16 when the war ended.
View Quote
Not for nothing but the war never ended and there was plenty of shit popping off in Korea after the cease fire.
Link Posted: 10/18/2018 5:32:47 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 10/18/2018 5:34:19 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 10/18/2018 5:44:04 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
When I enlisted, there were two basic training bases for my MOS, Ft Dix and Ft Lostinthewoods.  I went to the latter. Dix still taught bayonet drills, Lostinthewoods didn't. Never even saw a bayonet in basic or AIT.
View Quote
Huh, I went to Basic at LostInTheWoods in early '01 and did the bayonet course. DSs even humiliated the few deemed 'worthy' enough to receive bayonet course badges.
Link Posted: 10/18/2018 11:21:41 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Huh, I went to Basic at LostInTheWoods in early '01 and did the bayonet course. DSs even humiliated the few deemed 'worthy' enough to receive bayonet course badges.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I went through in '76.
Link Posted: 10/18/2018 11:30:14 PM EDT
[#34]
what do you mean "we"?
got a cat in your pocket?
Link Posted: 10/19/2018 8:06:13 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 10/19/2018 10:38:19 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 10/20/2018 1:35:48 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I had to help police flight lines several times. So I qualify, right
View Quote
depends... were you wearing headgear at the time?
Link Posted: 10/20/2018 3:48:30 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I had to help police flight lines several times. So I qualify, right
No headgear on the flightline.
Link Posted: 10/20/2018 9:13:05 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 10/20/2018 10:57:54 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 10/20/2018 5:45:10 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 10/20/2018 7:15:24 PM EDT
[#42]
Haha, story time..

We were south of Ghazni and air was red so we started walking back (15k) with the hope of being picked up somewhere along the way. It was the new guy's first mission (The airborne fish in a bottle kid), plus we brought an ops guy with us to be an ammo bearer. We had two 81mm systems + ammo split over 12 guys.

We made it about 5k (3hrs of walking, jumping over ditches & sneaking around) after 5 days out. 12 dudes and we had one bottle of water between all of us. We were sucking. The new guy pretty much went delirious and was walking way too wide out of formation, so we split his stuff up and had to carry more weight. The ops guy, when we stopped, mortar guys.. You pretty much can't take a knee because the packs were too heavy, so we would just face out and flop down on our asses.

We start moving again, and the ops guy is struggling standing up, so I walk over to help get him moving again. While I'm walking to him, under NVGs, he leans forward in an attempt to get himself back up.. and in leaning forward, the caps come off the two ILLUM round tootsies he has in his pack, "FLOOP.. FLOOP" and fall in the dirt in front of him. He starts to panic by the time I get over to him, heh, but I got the rounds back in the tubes and got him standing, but I was dying laughing without trying to make the kid feel bad.

Thankfully, air was clear and we caught chinooks out after chasing different HLZs for about three hours. Not a particularly fun night. Carrying heavy stuff sucks.
Link Posted: 10/20/2018 7:51:00 PM EDT
[#43]
Attachment Attached File

That's our platoon medic (1/A/1-187 INF, 101st ABN) as were headed to the PZ for our Chinook flight from Camp Able Sentry, Skopje, Macedonia, to Ferazai/Urosevac, Kosovo in March 2000. It took three guys to help him to his feet-two guys pulling and one pushing from behind.

Air Assault!
Link Posted: 10/20/2018 8:34:12 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/242045/Doc_s_ruck_jpg-711631.JPG

That's our platoon medic (1/A/1-187 INF, 101st ABN) as were headed to the PZ for our Chinook flight from Camp Able Sentry, Skopje, Macedonia, to Ferazai/Urosevac, Kosovo in March 2000. It took three guys to help him to his feet-two guys pulling and one pushing from behind.

Air Assault!
View Quote
Mortars in their natural habitat. "DON'T SMOKE BECAUSE THAT'S THE BC's TENT AND HE HATES SMOKE".. "LMTV will be here to pick you up in 20 - 257 minutes".

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/20/2018 8:57:32 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Air Assault!
View Quote
That pic was a blast from the past. I remember going to sick call and dealing with him.
Link Posted: 10/20/2018 9:59:42 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Haha, story time..

We were south of Ghazni and air was red so we started walking back (15k) with the hope of being picked up somewhere along the way. It was the new guy's first mission (The airborne fish in a bottle kid), plus we brought an ops guy with us to be an ammo bearer. We had two 81mm systems + ammo split over 12 guys.

We made it about 5k (3hrs of walking, jumping over ditches & sneaking around) after 5 days out. 12 dudes and we had one bottle of water between all of us. We were sucking. The new guy pretty much went delirious and was walking way too wide out of formation, so we split his stuff up and had to carry more weight. The ops guy, when we stopped, mortar guys.. You pretty much can't take a knee because the packs were too heavy, so we would just face out and flop down on our asses.

We start moving again, and the ops guy is struggling standing up, so I walk over to help get him moving again. While I'm walking to him, under NVGs, he leans forward in an attempt to get himself back up.. and in leaning forward, the caps come off the two ILLUM round tootsies he has in his pack, "FLOOP.. FLOOP" and fall in the dirt in front of him. He starts to panic by the time I get over to him, heh, but I got the rounds back in the tubes and got him standing, but I was dying laughing without trying to make the kid feel bad.

Thankfully, air was clear and we caught chinooks out after chasing different HLZs for about three hours. Not a particularly fun night. Carrying heavy stuff sucks.
View Quote
If you fall forward just right, the frame from your ALICE pack will catch under your Kevlar & pin you face down to the ground.
You'll be stuck there until everyone stops laughing at you & they decide to help you up.
Link Posted: 10/20/2018 10:12:39 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

If you fall forward just right, the frame from your ALICE pack will catch under your Kevlar & pin you face down to the ground.
You'll be stuck there until everyone stops laughing at you & they decide to help you up.
View Quote
Heh, no ALICE packs, old man. I never weighed our packs, but they were fucking ridiculous with 81 gun pieces, batteriesi and ammo. Unsafe almost. It was stupid.

That poor dude that flopped the rounds out of his bag, you couldn't but feel bad for him, but he was also walking w/ a 550 corded circa ~2012 afghan danner left mountain boot where the sole had separated. He had a hard evening.
Link Posted: 10/20/2018 10:16:27 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 10/20/2018 11:31:58 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
That pic was a blast from the past. I remember going to sick call and dealing with him.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Air Assault!
He was a good dude. We roomed together for that deployment.
Link Posted: 10/20/2018 11:33:10 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 63
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top