BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 12:09:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
OP....I would avoid the 8N for your intended use. Without live PTO they are less than ideal for running a mower. Same goes for a loader. They were a great little innovative tractor 75 years ago but there are a lot better choices. If you are seeking the best way to get your mowing done then I would highly recommend a commercial grade zero turn. I run a Scag and am very impressed with it. As has been stated before... there are several choices for quality units on the market.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I found an 8N with a rebuilt engine for 3200 lol, it would be useful to have a bucket and a PTO
OP....I would avoid the 8N for your intended use. Without live PTO they are less than ideal for running a mower. Same goes for a loader. They were a great little innovative tractor 75 years ago but there are a lot better choices. If you are seeking the best way to get your mowing done then I would highly recommend a commercial grade zero turn. I run a Scag and am very impressed with it. As has been stated before... there are several choices for quality units on the market.
Thanks!  The only thing I am struggling with is that if I spend 5k on a zero turn I can only cut grass with it.  If I spend 10k or something on a tractor I can do a lot more, I just don't want to buy a zero turn then end up buying a tractor anyway.

Thanks for the insight on the 8N, I found some used 25-30hp tractors in the 10-12k range.
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 12:09:33 PM EDT
[#2]
How long does it take you?  What is the max speed on the Cheetah?
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 12:12:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Scag, Exmark, Ferris, Grass hopper. 60-72" cut. Any one of those and you'll have no regrets.
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 8:10:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

You can get a Deere 1025R or Kubota BX with a loader and belly mower for ~$225 a month on a 0% interest loan.
View Quote
IF you have other tractor needs this is the way to go.. A front end loader will be the best wheelbarrow you will ever buy..  its amazing what you can/will do with it..  Moving mulch, rock, digging up sod for flower beds, hauling fertilizer/lime around the yard while spreading it..

I have a JD 2320 (bigger brother of the 1025R) with a 62" mid mower for the yard and a 4' rough cut mower for the fields - we own about 10 acres..

In our part of VA we do get snows and the 2320 does a great job clearing the driveway (and 6 neighbors drive ways)

brian
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 8:13:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 8:41:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Check out a Hustler. Many models to choose from !
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 8:50:00 PM EDT
[#8]
With that amount of land, I'd lean towards a tractor that can do more than just mow.
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 9:01:39 PM EDT
[#9]
OP, no matter what you end up with, ensure that you can get some sort of bagging attachment for it!  We have a Cyclone Rake for our Honda RT 5000 tractor and it sure makes picking up leaves and such much easier.  The Cyclone Rake also makes cleaning up grass much easier.
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 10:56:55 PM EDT
[#10]
I was told after 60 inches of deck you need to go bigger on HP.  Avoid 72 in decks that are on the same motor\frame combo as those that are smaller.

Also take inventory of your narrowest point on the property.  A narrow gate or squeeze can add time to a mow that a smaller deck, as opposed to a larger one, that can get in there won't.
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 10:51:27 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
OP, no matter what you end up with, ensure that you can get some sort of bagging attachment for it!  We have a Cyclone Rake for our Honda RT 5000 tractor and it sure makes picking up leaves and such much easier.  The Cyclone Rake also makes cleaning up grass much easier.
View Quote
Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 9:16:48 PM EDT
[#12]
OP, noodle on this:

Assuming your 5 acres is square it would be 465'x465'.

If you bought a tractor with a 48" deck it would take 113 passes and a loop around the perimeter to cut the grass.

If you bought a 60" deck it would take 91 passes and a loop.

72" deck and you're talking 64 passes and a loop.
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 11:17:14 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
OP, noodle on this:

Assuming your 5 acres is square it would be 465'x465'.

If you bought a tractor with a 48" deck it would take 113 passes and a loop around the perimeter to cut the grass.

If you bought a 60" deck it would take 91 passes and a loop.

72" deck and you're talking 64 passes and a loop.
View Quote
Good breakdown.  It's more like 900x260 but that does make a good case for a huge deck.
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 11:42:50 AM EDT
[#14]
OP   do you only need to cut grass?  Looking at compact tractors like Kabota allows you to plow snow, till a garden, grade a gravel driveway, bucket for carrying around heavy shit, PTO log splitter, etc, etc.  If you have the money zero turn for grass and compact tractor for the others.  No advice on which zero turn since I am in the "not enough money for both".

8nBAIT
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 11:49:16 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

OP   do you only need to cut grass?  Looking at compact tractors like Kabota allows you to plow snow, till a garden, grade a gravel driveway, bucket for carrying around heavy shit, PTO log splitter, etc, etc.  If you have the money zero turn for grass and compact tractor for the others.  No advice on which zero turn since I am in the "not enough money for both".

8nBAIT
View Quote
Got a model number in mind?  I'd rather have a machine that can do more than just cut grass if I'm gonna spend that kinda cash.
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 11:53:35 AM EDT
[#16]
Gravely
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 11:53:58 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Got a model number in mind?  I'd rather have a machine that can do more than just cut grass if I'm gonna spend that kinda cash.
View Quote
BX2380 or BX2680.  Also check out the John Deere 1025R
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 12:18:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Have a bx23s. Not sure how I lived with out. When cutting I have pull behind mower that is off set. So I cut 100inch pass. Pull behind 44inch and BX 60inch deck.
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 12:22:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Switched an entire fleet of mowers to Wright Standers, less maintenance and repairs than every other brand hands down and they are very compact easy to store.
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 12:23:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
I never really timed it and rarely do it all at once. Also I have quite a few obstacles that slow things down. That being said I don’t think there is a faster mower than the cheetah. It has 2 speeds but high is suppose to be for transport? I have mowed in high by accident. You can usually tell by the speed and the loss in cutting power. It will now as fast as you can pretty much. If you have the opportunity to demo one I highly recommend it.
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 12:43:41 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Have a bx23s. Not sure how I lived with out. When cutting I have pull behind mower that is off set. So I cut 100inch pass. Pull behind 44inch and BX 60inch deck.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Wow that's a good idea
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top