Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 5/4/2019 4:09:28 PM EDT
General Motors faces a new class-action lawsuit after owners claimed the automaker’s 8-speed automatic transmission houses a major defect. Per the information posted to Classaction.org, drivers have experienced violent shakes, jerks, or a “hard shift” when selecting a gear with the automatic transmission.

The information also says 13 technical service bulletins have been filed about 8-speed automatic transmission problems, though none of them have remedied the problem absolutely.
View Quote
http://gmauthority.com/blog/2019/04/gm-hit-with-class-action-lawsuit-over-alleged-8-speed-transmission-defect/amp/
Link Posted: 5/4/2019 4:36:07 PM EDT
[#1]
They should just go ahead and pull the plug on GM and get it over with.
Link Posted: 5/4/2019 4:39:08 PM EDT
[#2]
FPNI
Link Posted: 5/4/2019 4:47:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Should have used a ZF 8speed. It's hands down the best feeling auto I've ever driven.
Link Posted: 5/4/2019 4:51:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Ford: we built this awesome 10 speed transmission with GM, let's put it in everything

GM: fuck you customer, no 10 speed transmission unless you buy the highest trim level of useless crap - keep rocking that 8 or 6 speed.
Link Posted: 5/4/2019 4:53:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Ford: we built this awesome 10 speed transmission, let's put it in everything

GM: fuck you customer, no 10 speed transmission unless you buy the highest trim level of useless crap - keep rocking that 8 or 6 speed.
View Quote
Or the cool engines unless you upgrade trim levels.
Link Posted: 5/4/2019 4:53:59 PM EDT
[#6]
I know quite a few people that are extremely unhappy with the way their 8 speed shifts.

Hell, I hated the way my 2017 GM 6 speed shifted and switched to a new ford with a 6 speed.
Link Posted: 5/4/2019 4:57:19 PM EDT
[#7]
The 6L45 has the exact same problems.

I had a torque converter replaced at 25k under warranty and now at 60k its on the way out once again.
Link Posted: 5/4/2019 4:58:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote
But they're going to reinvent the mid engine corvette.
Link Posted: 5/4/2019 4:59:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Should have used a ZF 8speed. It's hands down the best feeling auto I've ever driven.
View Quote
This right here.
Link Posted: 5/4/2019 4:59:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I know quite a few people that are extremely unhappy with the way their 8 speed shifts.

Hell, I hated the way my 2017 GM 6 speed shifted and switched to a new ford with a 6 speed.
View Quote
GM lol
After having to sue them 16 years ago over a pos 2500hd double cab [I won] I went Toyota and never looked back!
Fuck GM
Link Posted: 5/4/2019 4:59:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote
Weird, the ZF 8 speed I had was a real piece of shit.
Link Posted: 5/4/2019 5:04:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Wife’s Cadillac has been in for transmission issues with less than 25,000 miles. Would shudder in 8th gear at low speeds. TSB called for a full flush, and new synthetic fluid and filter. It has been fine since but if this fix fails they’ll replace the torque converter then the trans. Tech said ours looked good compared to some that are full of metal shavings. It was a CPO car so we have the extended warranty at least. Too bad, it’s a nice ride otherwise. First GM since 1995, probably the last.
Link Posted: 5/4/2019 5:04:58 PM EDT
[#13]
but yet no class-action against Ford for all of their defects in the F-150's.
Link Posted: 5/4/2019 5:05:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
In what configuration? Just curious.
Link Posted: 5/4/2019 5:07:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
but yet no class-action against Ford for all of their defects in the F-150's.
View Quote
I'll admit I was nervous to get a dual clutch transmission in my fiesta but it's been ok so far. Hopefully it lasts me.
Link Posted: 5/4/2019 5:12:45 PM EDT
[#16]
Lol, GM

I know several folks who have converter shake in their brand new trucks, theyre pissed and the dealers are doing everything they can to avoid replacing transmissions(which is probably going to be the final fix anyway).
Link Posted: 5/4/2019 5:12:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote
What car was it in? Just curious. I know different manufacturers run it differently and Chrysler uses a licensed copy that they change some things on.
Link Posted: 5/4/2019 5:13:15 PM EDT
[#18]
After everything was said and done the taxpayers lost  $11.2 billion on the gm bailout.
Link Posted: 5/4/2019 5:13:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Glad I got the 2019 Ram and not Silverado.
Link Posted: 5/4/2019 5:17:12 PM EDT
[#20]
GM should just bring back the 2 speed Powerglide.
Link Posted: 5/4/2019 5:17:17 PM EDT
[#21]
My neighbor had a sweet Cadillac, laid out. He said it was nearing 65k on the odometer and it was time to get rid of it. Apparently the transmissions crap out around 65k miles and cost about $8k to R&R. That's not right, it's not like it's a $12k car, wtf GM.
Link Posted: 5/4/2019 5:18:32 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Jeep Cherokee Limited 2015

First transmission completely died in less than 1 year, replaced under warranty.

Second one shifted harshly and erratically in first and second gear. Jeep said it was "normal" and was never able to fix it in spite of several software updates.

Sold that trash off in 2017 and switched to Lexus. Much better.
Link Posted: 5/4/2019 5:19:40 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote
Only if GM refunds bail-out money to taxpayers
Link Posted: 5/4/2019 5:19:53 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fucking brain dead retarded you can’t get a Z71 Trailboss with a 6.2 and the 10 speed. GM makes you go up to the retarded LTZ bullshit extra old man chrome everywhere package. No thanks. GMC lets you get a 6.2 down to SLE I think.
Link Posted: 5/4/2019 5:20:18 PM EDT
[#25]
My 2019 Chevy work van has that trans I think. In any case it shifts at super low rpm for gas mileage presumably. It hunts and shudders at normal driving speeds and at times feels like the engine is cutting out.
Link Posted: 5/4/2019 5:21:37 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Fucking brain dead retarded you can’t get a Z71 Trailboss with a 6.2 and the 10 speed. GM makes you go up to the retarded LTZ bullshit extra old man chrome everywhere package. No thanks. GMC lets you get a 6.2 down to SLE I think.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 5/4/2019 5:22:31 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
My 2019 Chevy work van has that trans I think. In any case it shifts at super low rpm for gas mileage presumably. It hunts and shudders at normal driving speeds and at times feels like the engine is cutting out.
View Quote
It should be the 6 speed.  See my post a couple above.  The tuning in their transmissions is absolutely horrendous.
Link Posted: 5/4/2019 5:22:52 PM EDT
[#28]
Taggage.
Link Posted: 5/4/2019 5:25:32 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote
My 2015 chevy boxvan has a bit of a shudder.  I assume its the 6 speed.

Luckily my other chevy has an allison trans and my humvee has a 4l80e so they dont have issues.
Link Posted: 5/4/2019 5:28:00 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote
The 10-speed transmission is a joint venture between Ford and GM.
Link Posted: 5/4/2019 5:30:39 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/4/2019 5:31:34 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

First transmission completely died in less than 1 year, replaced under warranty.

Second one shifted harshly and erratically in first and second gear. Jeep said it was "normal" and was never able to fix it in spite of several software updates.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Was it a v8 or v6?
Link Posted: 5/4/2019 5:31:41 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yup I own three of them ...
Link Posted: 5/4/2019 5:34:06 PM EDT
[#34]
Ford stock going up?
Link Posted: 5/4/2019 5:36:01 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Wife’s Cadillac has been in for transmission issues with less than 25,000 miles. Would shudder in 8th gear at low speeds. TSB called for a full flush, and new synthetic fluid and filter. It has been fine since but if this fix fails they’ll replace the torque converter then the trans. Tech said ours looked good compared to some that are full of metal shavings. It was a CPO car so we have the extended warranty at least. Too bad, it’s a nice ride otherwise. First GM since 1995, probably the last.
View Quote
8th gear at low speeds?
Link Posted: 5/4/2019 5:37:36 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Was it a v8 or v6?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Was it a v8 or v6?
He said Cherokee so I'm guessing V6, which would be a different trans than the V8 ZF, which is awesome.
Link Posted: 5/4/2019 5:39:59 PM EDT
[#37]
If only the taxpayers had not bailed them out.
Link Posted: 5/4/2019 5:41:40 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/4/2019 5:43:31 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote
Don't worry, they're likely headed for another round of bailout begging. Hopefully they'll be told to pound sand when it happens.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/4/2019 5:50:25 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's the ironic part, they both have the same 10 speed transmission and GM's configurations suck.

Fixed in the post above
Link Posted: 5/4/2019 7:19:52 PM EDT
[#41]
Ford also has issues with the 10 speed in the F150, also the Mustang, I don't think it is just a GM issue.
Link Posted: 5/4/2019 7:23:20 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
GM should just bring back the 2 speed Powerglide.
View Quote
Bring back separate overdrive units.
Link Posted: 5/4/2019 7:29:43 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
8th gear at low speeds?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
8th gear at low speeds?
35 to 45mph.
ETA: under very light acceleration.
Link Posted: 5/4/2019 7:31:06 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
The 6L45 has the exact same problems.

I had a torque converter replaced at 25k under warranty and now at 60k its on the way out once again.
View Quote
I thought the current TSB calls for replacing fluid with an upgraded spec because there's nothing actually wrong with the converters?
Link Posted: 5/4/2019 7:32:57 PM EDT
[#45]
My 13 6 speed was solid. My 19 10 speed is only 3 weeks old and I love it so far. 6.2 with both.
Link Posted: 5/4/2019 7:33:52 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I thought the current TSB calls for replacing fluid with an upgraded spec because there's nothing actually wrong with the converters?
View Quote
Tech I talked to said excess metal shavings are destroying some torque converters. Fluid change has cured ours for now but no metal was found in the pan.
ETA: this is the 8 speed
Link Posted: 5/4/2019 7:34:14 PM EDT
[#47]
The 6 speed in our 14 Silverado shifts like shit. It's harsh. Really the whole trucks feels cheap and shitty, but we got it for 13 grand, so I can't complain too much.
Link Posted: 5/4/2019 7:36:36 PM EDT
[#48]
We have a few newer Tahoes at work. They suck. All of them. You'll be driving along when they will violently jerk for seemingly no reason. It's some sort of transmission issue. They have all been in the shop numerous times but the issue is not fixed. The transmission is about to explode in one of them.

On the other hand, our Chevy 2500HD trucks seem to be doing fine.

ETA: Looks like Tahoe isn't on the list.
Link Posted: 5/4/2019 7:37:41 PM EDT
[#49]
Oh no.  Are they going to lose their JD Power awards over this?
Link Posted: 5/4/2019 8:05:26 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Laughs in Allison.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top