Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 358
Link Posted: 3/5/2019 4:46:24 PM EDT
[#1]
It's weird seeing Daenerys with only 2 dragons.

Though I suspect she'll get a Pet Cemetery-style reunion with Viserion.
Link Posted: 3/5/2019 4:56:34 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm really curious to know what the dragons apparently incinerated at 1:24 in the trailer. Lots of bones there.
Link Posted: 3/5/2019 5:00:01 PM EDT
[#3]
If we don't get CLEGANEBOWL I might not have the willpower to continue living.
Link Posted: 3/5/2019 5:08:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm guessing we will see that. Although she will be talking about the White Walkers. Then we will get some convoluted story about how the Mad King wasn't really mad and was living in some alternate dimension in his brain and was referring to the White Walkers when he gave orders to burn them all.

Wouldn't I want HBO Now?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I want to hear Emilia Clarke screaming "BURN THEM ALL" before this is over.
I'm guessing we will see that. Although she will be talking about the White Walkers. Then we will get some convoluted story about how the Mad King wasn't really mad and was living in some alternate dimension in his brain and was referring to the White Walkers when he gave orders to burn them all.

Quoted:

HBO go
Wouldn't I want HBO Now?
What do you bet that all the wildfire experimentation and pre-positioning was to use Kings Landing as a giant trap for the Army of the Dead?

If it wasn't the intent through time-travelling Bran warging into the Mad King, it will be re-purposed as such. We already know that winter hits KL hard and destruction happens (1st season vision of the ruined Red Keep looks like aftermath of dragonfire), and they have shown only one of the many wildfire caches the Mad King had placed.
Link Posted: 3/5/2019 5:22:01 PM EDT
[#5]
At first after the Arya scene it went to black and I was all "not this mini-teaser crap again" then the next scene started.

I'm now on a hype train again. Damn you GoT.
Link Posted: 3/5/2019 6:10:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Maybe I am alone in this, but I am not a fan of Daenerys.

(Almost done with S7)
Link Posted: 3/5/2019 6:26:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

(Almost done with S7)
View Quote
You are certainly not alone.  IME, it seems the bigger a fan a person is of the show/books the less likely they are to like Daenerys while the more casual a person is in their fandom the more likely they are to like her.  Most of the people I know that like her probably couldn't even tell you her full name. Take away her dragons and I bet her popularity would plummet.

It also doesn't help that Emilia Clarke is a shit actress. Especially compared to the other actors on the show.  Hell, 11 year old Maisie Williams in S1 with ZERO acting experience was a better actress than Emilia Clarke is.  Kit Harrington use to be pretty bad too, but I think he's definitely improved.
Link Posted: 3/5/2019 6:32:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Also I think her looks are overrated.  Some people talk about how gorgeous she is, but in 8 seasons I don't personally think she's ever been the most attractive woman in her own storyline.

Kinda funny when you consider a girl on the show 10+ years younger than her is a better actress and a woman on the show 10+ years older than her has a better body.
Link Posted: 3/5/2019 6:55:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Seriously Jamie is going to be the man when finally hell breaks loose.  Kinda man crushin on him.
Link Posted: 3/5/2019 7:02:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Seriously Jamie is going to be the man when finally hell breaks loose.  Kinda man crushin on him.
View Quote
I like Jaime, but unless he somehow grows another right hand I don't see how.  Ever since his maiming he has struggled to beat standard enemies one-on-one.

His Valyrian steel sword will definitely help though.
Link Posted: 3/5/2019 7:12:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Back in S1 when she was still a preteen right-handed Maisie insisted that she learn how to sword fight as a lefty because in the books Arya is left-handed.  No one even asked her to. So, yeah, I have no doubt the actress would be prepared.
View Quote
She's really put her heart and soul into it. I think she knows how lucky she is to have that role.
Link Posted: 3/5/2019 7:23:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I like Jaime, but unless he somehow grows another right hand I don't see how.  Ever since his maiming he has struggled to beat standard enemies one-on-one.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I wonder how his gold hand will work for wresting away a White Walker sword like it did here...

Link Posted: 3/5/2019 7:37:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote
Does he somehow become the R. Lee Ermey of the Knights Watch?
Link Posted: 3/5/2019 7:40:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote
I could see him, IF he survives, taking over the Nights Watch.
Link Posted: 3/5/2019 8:06:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Yup.  I think a character with the skills to take out any other character (except for maybe the Night King) on the show would qualify as a "capable adversary."
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You might need to rewatch S6.
Waif?
Yup.  I think a character with the skills to take out any other character (except for maybe the Night King) on the show would qualify as a "capable adversary."
Don't forget she killed Ser Pedobear in S5.
Link Posted: 3/5/2019 9:00:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Gendry done rowing?  Looked like him at :57....
Link Posted: 3/5/2019 9:52:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Am I the only one who thinks that this is going to be some kind of tragic love story ending?

Clearly the Night King and Daenerys are meant for each other. The both are hell bent on a conquering everything, forcing people to serve them, and killing all that resist. Daenerys loves to talk while the night king really speaks. In their free time they like to ride around on dragons and torch people/things. It’s taken eight seasons for these two to finally meet. I think it’s going to be love at first sight. I’m sure John Snow will try to pit them against each. His fit of jealously will put the whole worlds fate at risk.

Daenerys’ forces will prevail in the battle. She’ll be forever heartbroken that her “soulmate” was lost in battle. She will have lost her desire to rule and Cersei will stay seated at the throne.
Link Posted: 3/5/2019 9:54:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Gendry done rowing?  Looked like him at :57....
View Quote
Gendry was in the last couple of episodes last season.

(Brought his war hammer, went north of the wall with the action team, ran back for help)
Link Posted: 3/5/2019 10:08:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

(Brought his war hammer, went north of the wall with the action team, ran back for help)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Gendry done rowing? Looked like him at :57....

Chip off the old block.
Link Posted: 3/5/2019 10:37:43 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote
Apparently i need to rewatch last season...
Link Posted: 3/5/2019 10:51:20 PM EDT
[#21]
Known Valyrian steel blades that will be at the Battle of Winterfell:

-Longclaw

-Oathkeeper

-Widow's Wail

-Heartsbane

-Arya's dragonbone dagger

Are there any others?
Link Posted: 3/5/2019 10:52:43 PM EDT
[#22]
Also I wonder who will wield Heartsbane in the battle.  I can't imagine it will be Sam the Slayer.

Maybe Jorah.
Link Posted: 3/5/2019 11:15:34 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

-Longclaw

-Oathkeeper

-Widow's Wail

-Heartsbane

Are there any others?
View Quote
What blade was being forged at 00.57 in the preview?  Wasn't Arya shown with a sword? Something from her dragon bone dagger maybe?
Link Posted: 3/5/2019 11:49:08 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
You are certainly not alone.  IME, it seems the bigger a fan a person is of the show/books the less likely they are to like Daenerys while the more casual a person is in their fandom the more likely they are to like her.  Most of the people I know that like her probably couldn't even tell you her full name. Take away her dragons and I bet her popularity would plummet.

It also doesn't help that Emilia Clarke is a shit actress. Especially compared to the other actors on the show.  Hell, 11 year old Maisie Williams in S1 with ZERO acting experience was a better actress than Emilia Clarke is.  Kit Harrington use to be pretty bad too, but I think he's definitely improved.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

(Almost done with S7)

Why do people not like her?

I just find that she comes across as being very naive on the world and it gets people killed.
Link Posted: 3/6/2019 12:01:18 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

-Longclaw

-Oathkeeper

-Widow's Wail

-Heartsbane

Are there any others?
View Quote
What was the name of the one that Sam stole from his father?

It just didn't disappear.

Either Sam will use it himself or bequeath it to someone esle.

Never mind just looked it up... it's Heartsbane
Link Posted: 3/6/2019 12:05:50 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I just find that she comes across as being very naive on the world and it gets people killed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

(Almost done with S7)

Is that an endearing quality?
Link Posted: 3/6/2019 12:11:08 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
In the "I choose violence" scene, one of the Faith Militant penetrates his armor with a maul and he doesn't react.

Also, he was poisoned with a substance that is invariably fatal so he's (1) dead and (2) walking around so yeah he's a zombie.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The post I was referring to specifically stated that Arya would poison Gregor Clegane.  Since he's now a zombie, I am unclear how one would poison him.
Is it confirmed Gregor is a zombie?  Couldn't he just be some experiment by Qyburn that didn't involve him dying first?
In the "I choose violence" scene, one of the Faith Militant penetrates his armor with a maul and he doesn't react.

Also, he was poisoned with a substance that is invariably fatal so he's (1) dead and (2) walking around so yeah he's a zombie.
I never made that assumption. There's no other precedent for what Qyburn did to Gregor, AFAIK. But what you say makes sense.
Link Posted: 3/6/2019 12:13:16 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I honestly think George R.R. Martin has the stones to kill everyone and let the bad guys win.
View Quote
Martin doesn't have the stones to even finish the series (or wits, maybe). Benioff & Weiss get to write the end. I hope they don't screw it up as badly as they did season 7.
Link Posted: 3/6/2019 12:15:43 AM EDT
[#29]
Some points that seem like "something"to me.
Arya held her own , if not prevailed , sparring with fucking Brienne. She hasn't been in a battle, but shes no slouch, either.
Bran saw "Burn them all" from the mad king. He can warg. He's going to Warg the Ice Dragon. Jon and Dany will be riding live dragons.
Tormund needs to put the wood to sweet Lady Brienne. Boom chicka bow wow!

Personally, I cant fucking believe we had to wait this long, I'm super happy we are about to see the end, and I really hope D-D do NOT fuck this up.
Link Posted: 3/6/2019 12:22:14 AM EDT
[#30]
Attachment Attached File
I'm excited to see the Golden Company and their war elephants! The dude overlooking them on the ship in the preview looks like he'll play some major role in the season. I have a theory that they will sack Kings Landing upon arrival (ala Lannister style) and Jon/Daenerys will have to take it back by force with whatever survives of their armies.

Anyone else think we'll see the famed sword, Dawn, enter the fray? The way the camera zoomed in on it during Jon's birth was a bit telling..
Link Posted: 3/6/2019 12:43:08 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Also I wonder who will wield Heartsbane in the battle.  I can't imagine it will be Sam the Slayer.

Maybe Jorah.
View Quote
As I recall, Heartsbane was a giant 2 handed sword in books... a big sword would fit a big man like the Hound best I think...
Link Posted: 3/6/2019 12:50:23 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
As I recall, Heartsbane was a giant 2 handed sword in books... a big sword would fit a big man like the Hound best I think...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe Jorah.
He'll need something like Heartsbane to kill his brother
Link Posted: 3/6/2019 1:10:57 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

(Almost done with S7)

She is an annoying Mary Sue (or at least an attempt at one) that the show runners keep desperately trying to convince the audience how badass she is (often at the expense of other characters) in an attempt to get everyone rooting for her.  The more they ram her down the audience's throat the more it seems people are annoyed.

In the S6 episode "Blood of My Blood" the Dothraki are already following her but the showrunners felt it was necessary to have yet another "look how badass Daenerys is" scene by having her ride on Drogon's back while giving a motivational speech to a group of people that didn't need motivation.  They undoubtedly spent a big chunk of their CGI budget on that one scene meanwhile after episode 2 we have a living direwolf on screen for about 20 seconds the rest of the season.

In addition it seems some people don't like how she has had a relatively easy ride the past 5 seasons compared to most of the other major characters.
Link Posted: 3/6/2019 1:11:34 AM EDT
[#34]
Also during a lot of Daenerys' scenes (especially her first meeting with Jon) I kept being reminded of the Tywin quote below.

Link Posted: 3/6/2019 1:14:56 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Tormund needs to put the wood to sweet Lady Brienne. Boom chicka bow wow!
View Quote
His chances of success will take a major hit once Prince Charming makes it to Winterfell.
Link Posted: 3/6/2019 1:23:29 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Anyone else think we'll see the famed sword, Dawn, enter the fray? The way the camera zoomed in on it during Jon's birth was a bit telling..
View Quote
"Born amidst salt and smoke, beneath a bleeding star."

Link Posted: 3/6/2019 1:27:24 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe Jorah.
In the books it is.

On the show it appears to be the length of a regular long sword.

Link Posted: 3/6/2019 1:29:51 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

She is an annoying Mary Sue (or at least an attempt at one) that the show runners keep desperately trying to convince the audience how badass she is (often at the expense of other characters) in an attempt to get everyone rooting for her.  The more they ram her down the audience's throat the more it seems people are annoyed.

In the S6 episode "Blood of My Blood" the Dothraki are already following her but the showrunners felt it was necessary to have yet another "look how badass Daenerys is" scene by having her ride on Drogon's back while giving a motivational speech to a group of people that didn't need motivation.  They undoubtedly spent a big chunk of their CGI budget on that one scene meanwhile after episode 2 we have a living direwolf on screen for about 20 seconds the rest of the season.

In addition it seems some people don't like how she has had a relatively easy ride the past 5 seasons compared to most of the other major characters.
View Quote
The problem is that we ran out of GRRM material just as the major turning points in her character arc were coming up.  I respect what GRRM was doing with Dany in the books.  She's 13 at the start, and about a year later she is a queen.  She acts just like you'd expect a 13 year old girl to act.  She's naive about men's motives (Jorah), she falls for the Essos equivalent of a Hell's Angel (Daario).  She's ignorant of the brutal reality of the world (I'm going to free the slaves!  I have no idea what comes next).  She reacts on emotion (crucifying the masters in response to the crucified slave children).  She's basically what you'd expect from a 13 year old given power and no guidance.  I think where GRRM is going with her character is that she learns from these mistakes and we see her making the correct decisions as she comes to power in Westeros.

I think Sansa suffers from the same problem.  In the books, the last thing we see from her is the beginnings of her blossoming from the stupid girl to a player in the game of thrones.  Remember she is still in the Eyrie and has just fooled the Lords Declarant in favor of Littlefinger, the bastards she knows.  And Littlefinger has just revealed his plan to marry her to a very worthy candidate, Harrold the Heir, a strong knight and the next Lord of the Vale when sickly little Robin inevitably dies.  In show, of course, D&D combined her character with fake Arya, which completely fucked her character arc.

I'm eager to see how GRRM develops these characters without HBO's interference.
Link Posted: 3/6/2019 1:31:40 AM EDT
[#39]
Dat star(sun) pommel
Link Posted: 3/6/2019 1:41:31 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
In the books it is.

https://sm.ign.com/t/ign_in/screenshot/h/heartsbane/heartsbane-a-family-heirloom-like-ice-heartsbane-iswas-the-g_1vtz.640.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe Jorah.
In the books it is.

https://sm.ign.com/t/ign_in/screenshot/h/heartsbane/heartsbane-a-family-heirloom-like-ice-heartsbane-iswas-the-g_1vtz.640.jpg
The way that picture is angled, you appear to be right... but when you look at this video towards the end, it’s clearly longer than an average sword.

game of thrones Sam and Gilly running away Steal the sword
Link Posted: 3/6/2019 1:47:23 AM EDT
[#41]
Here is some pictures below from the Unseen Westersos Exhibition that was in January of this year in Berlin. There is more HERE in a created gallery.

This video explains some of the mythos of Essos where most of these images are based:
East: the strangest places in Game of Thrones?

Also interesting watches:

Wonders of the world of Game of Thrones

Doom of Valyria: what destroyed Daenerys’ ancestors?

Link Posted: 3/6/2019 1:51:28 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

(Almost done with S7)

Interesting insight.

When you say people have the opinion, was it critics,  reviewers etc?
Link Posted: 3/6/2019 2:02:32 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
The way that picture is angled, you appear to be right... but when you look at this video towards the end, it’s clearly longer than an average sword.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOrpMeb9M-M
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe Jorah.
In the books it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOrpMeb9M-M
The hilt looks longer.  I'm not so sure about the blade though. But even if the blade is a tad bit longer, it's definitely not a two-handed greatsword like it is in the books.

For comparison Ice was a two-handed greatsword.

Link Posted: 3/6/2019 2:06:42 AM EDT
[#44]
I really hope we finally get "ice spiders big as hounds" this season.

I'm optimistic that we will.
Link Posted: 3/6/2019 2:07:51 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Interesting insight.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

(Almost done with S7)

Interesting insight.

It's pretty much across the board. Critics, reviewers, youtube comments, message board posts, people I know, etc.
Link Posted: 3/6/2019 9:45:49 AM EDT
[#46]
Is there a new trailer yet
Link Posted: 3/6/2019 9:57:07 AM EDT
[#47]
Live stream breakdown of the trailer

Game of Thrones Season 8 Trailer – live breakdown
Link Posted: 3/6/2019 9:57:09 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Interesting insight.

View Quote
The problems with dragontits is this. Her tits are her only endearing quality. She stopped showing them.... all that’s left is a no talent actress that’s being forced on the viewers.
Link Posted: 3/6/2019 10:11:03 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

-Longclaw

-Oathkeeper

-Widow's Wail

-Heartsbane

Are there any others?
View Quote
isn't Arya's sword Needle Valyrian steel?  I think it is.
Page / 358
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top