That ain’t Sansa is it????
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Yup.

Link Posted: 5/1/2019 2:38:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So you'd be cool with a cliché and predictable prophecy fulfillment outcome like that but what did happen was a bridge too far?

How would Jon Snow getting into a 1v1 with the Nightking and winning be any less of Deus ex Machina than what happened?

Arya killing the Nightking is the Red Wedding of plot devices to y'alls hopes for what should have been but wasn't.

The Nightking should have steamrolled everybody, everything else is bad writing. Change my mind.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Also not if he stabbed through Dany to do it.

You get your Nissa Nissa and you get rid of awful Dany.
So you'd be cool with a cliché and predictable prophecy fulfillment outcome like that but what did happen was a bridge too far?

How would Jon Snow getting into a 1v1 with the Nightking and winning be any less of Deus ex Machina than what happened?

Arya killing the Nightking is the Red Wedding of plot devices to y'alls hopes for what should have been but wasn't.

The Nightking should have steamrolled everybody, everything else is bad writing. Change my mind.
I think many are disappointed that NONE (excepting Theon) of the A characters got a serious crack at either the White Walkers or the Night's King. If Jon had at least gotten a chance to fight, even if he got rekt, it would have been infinitely better. And the retconned prophecy doesn't work either with Melisandre being 100% right this episode only but Jon's entire arc of many, many, prophecies rendered irrelevant.

If Jon was never going to do it, it would have been better if he had never lived. He ended up giving the dragon to the Night's King, killing thousands in the North, got murdered AND resurrected, for something he ultimately played an indirect role in. It doesn't hold up. Even the prophecy surrounding his birth led to a full-scale bloody rebellion.

The only consistency is that D&D have subverted Jon's wins from the beginning: he beats Karl Tanner AFTER one of Craster's wives stabs him, He is saved at the BOTB by Sansa, Arya saves his failure here, Ygritte saves him when he is captured in the north, Dany saves him from the Night's King, Benjen saves him from the wights, it has been one long chain of compromising and subverting his role as a hero. That only works if there is eventual payoff.
Link Posted: 5/1/2019 2:38:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
That would have been great. NK looks down in disbelief as the wound starts to chill and ice spreads over the dagger, then Jon rams longclaw into the same wound, the whole glade starts to ice over like someone opened an industrial-scale deep freeze unit. The wights begin to keel over, NK falls to his knees, and instead of shattering, turns into an ice sculpture with two blades embedded in it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It would have been better if Jon cut down old blue flames, ran in and dove in front of the Night Kings killing blow with Long Claw, fights NK pitifully holding onto hope and just at the moment when you know NK is going to run Jon through, Click To View Spoiler

Would've been so much better.
That would have been great. NK looks down in disbelief as the wound starts to chill and ice spreads over the dagger, then Jon rams longclaw into the same wound, the whole glade starts to ice over like someone opened an industrial-scale deep freeze unit. The wights begin to keel over, NK falls to his knees, and instead of shattering, turns into an ice sculpture with two blades embedded in it.
As a Ser Jorah Mormont follower I'd be okay with the Mormont clan's historical hand and a half sword being venerated forever in the guts of the NK.

Daeneys, Jon, and Sansa better use their regal authority to wash Ser Jorah's slate clean forever.
Link Posted: 5/1/2019 2:41:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Why do you guys keep yammering about “oh sooooo predictable, that would suck”.

Unpredictability for the sake of unpredictability isn’t what makes for good entertainment. If it did TLJ wouldn’t suck, M. Night Shamalan would be the greatest director in film history, biopics wouldn’t exist, movies based on true stories wouldn’t be made, and Marvel movies would have stopped 8 years ago.

Proper execution through good acting, cinematography, sound/music, and telling the story well make for good entertainment. Not every event in GOT has been an “OMG shocking twist” moment. You can build up to an event and then make it happen.
View Quote
I never said it would suck, I just don't see how it would make the story any better or be any less of a deus ex machina.
Link Posted: 5/1/2019 2:42:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Unpredictability for the sake of unpredictability isn’t what makes for good entertainment. If it did TLJ wouldn’t suck, M. Night Shamalan would be the greatest director in film history, biopics wouldn’t exist, movies based on true stories wouldn’t be made, and Marvel movies would have stopped 8 years ago.

Proper execution through good acting, cinematography, sound/music, and telling the story well make for good entertainment. Not every event in GOT has been an “OMG shocking twist” moment. You can build up to an event and then make it happen.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's like if someone is going to release some information that will damage the good guy main character and the writers can't figure out how to prevent that character from releasing it without the good guy main character doing something bad so they just have the person get randomly run over and killed by a truck.

"OMGZ! THAT WAS SO UNEXPECTED! WHAT GREAT WRITING!"
Link Posted: 5/1/2019 2:45:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Arya left Melisandre before the Night King was knocked off his dragon, and raised the second wave of the undead.  They're was a ebb in their numbers, dead undead were everywhere.  You can see them all over the area outside of Winterfell, in the room Melisandre set Arya off in, and throughout the castle.   There were plenty of dead undead faces Arya could have used, or she could have just used her skills to get into position before the Night King even entered Winterfell and remained unseen until it came time to act, which is what she trained to do as an assassin.

Earlier in the episode we saw her evading and maneuvering through, around, and even over mobs of undead.  So yes, I think it was very plausible for her to get into position. I also think it helped that she started her maneuver when there were the least number of undead still moving.
View Quote
Only if you think the short little imp had world class Olympic runner speed and squint real hard in the dark does it make sense.
Link Posted: 5/1/2019 2:46:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

https://media.giphy.com/media/rYCbb0KkIT0Nq/giphy.gif

It's like if someone is going to release some information that will damage the good guy main character and the writers can't figure out how to prevent that character from releasing it without the good guy main character doing something bad so they just have the person get randomly run over and killed by a truck.

"OMGZ! THAT WAS SO UNEXPECTED! WHAT GREAT WRITING!"
View Quote
You guys are putting words in my mouth.
Link Posted: 5/1/2019 2:49:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

It would have been better if Jon cut down old blue flames, ran in and dove in front of the Night Kings killing blow with Long Claw, fights NK pitifully holding onto hope and just at the moment when you know NK is going to run Jon through, Click To View Spoiler

Would've been so much better.
View Quote
Yeah that's pretty much exactly what I expected to happen.

Thing is, if Jon was 1v1ing the NK then we wouldn't have gotten the "We're fucked" sequence they wanted. They really wanted everyone to lose hope, stare the death of everything in the face, and just barely live to see the dawn.

After watching it again I realize they worked really hard to kindle hope and then dash it repeatedly, and that's really what the whole episode was about. The most heroic thing they could do, is not collapse into a puddle of their own making. Every single character found a way to keep fighting despite knowing it was hopeless.

Theon is obvious, Jon screaming at the dragon, Sandor saving Arya, Arya herself losing her confidence after she got her bell rung and then finding it, Grey Worm losing his shit after he pulled the rope on his army and finding a way, even Sansa and Tyrion deciding to fight in the crypt after the terror of waiting and hearing the battle reach the door.
Link Posted: 5/1/2019 2:50:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
snip
View Quote
Just wanted to comment on your avatar...McDonald of the Isles.  I am a VERY distant relative.
Link Posted: 5/1/2019 2:58:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Arya left Melisandre before the Night King was knocked off his dragon, and raised the second wave of the undead.  They're was a ebb in their numbers, dead undead were everywhere.  You can see them all over the area outside of Winterfell, in the room Melisandre set Arya off in, and throughout the castle.   There were plenty of dead undead faces Arya could have used, or she could have just used her skills to get into position before the Night King even entered Winterfell and remained unseen until it came time to act, which is what she trained to do as an assassin.

Earlier in the episode we saw her evading and maneuvering through, around, and even over mobs of undead.  So yes, I think it was very plausible for her to get into position. I also think it helped that she started her maneuver when there were the least number of undead still moving.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You somehow missed that she evaded an entire army of soldiers in an open field without being noticed. Was she wearing Frodo’s cloak of invisibility?

She did evade wights in the library
White Walkers, while great in face to face combat, did seem susceptible to sneak attack.
Sam Tarly actually got one with a dagger in the back. Tarly
Not exactly sneaky.

IMHO the Night King's NCOs are a step behind the Night King.
With the NK concentrating on finally, after 10,000 years, killing the 3ER?
Surrounded him, all hero characters mostly accounted for (the ones he saw anyway), Dragon guarding the entrance.
WWs and wights everywhere.
IMHO NK was probably relaxed.

She snuck up on the NK, BUT he did turn around, caught her.
In the NKs mind, no human has been a real threat to him.
Too strong, fire proof, he can end it at any time.
(Hence why some in the audience felt the significance of a special champion, born of two great houses at great cost to humanity, with a legendary sword, would have been needed to win in a nail-biter).
The sneak attack was unexpected.

It's a little stretch how she did it, but not enough in MY opinion anyway to get me to throw the flag.
Link Posted: 5/1/2019 2:58:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
That's all fine and dandy, but she'd better die quick. I swear if this show has a typical fairy tale ending where everyone lives happily ever after, I won't ever watch it again.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've been on team Arya since that move at the Twins. I think her and The Hound are the best Characters on the show.

They will be kicking ass tother in the final battle (from leaked shots)
That's all fine and dandy, but she'd better die quick. I swear if this show has a typical fairy tale ending where everyone lives happily ever after, I won't ever watch it again.
Honestly, I am amazed that sooooo many main characters survived.  I was expecting a 50% kill off.
Link Posted: 5/1/2019 2:59:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Honestly, I am amazed that sooooo many main characters survived.  I was expecting a 50% kill off.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've been on team Arya since that move at the Twins. I think her and The Hound are the best Characters on the show.

They will be kicking ass tother in the final battle (from leaked shots)
While there are some episodes to go, if you believe in the "D&D got into GRRM's head" narrative, it would explain a conversion from a high kill-rate with sad gruesome deaths?
Into fan service stuff.

Don't be surprised if there's a happy ending.
But hey there's still more show to go.
Link Posted: 5/1/2019 3:02:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Only if you think the short little imp had world class Olympic runner speed and squint real hard in the dark does it make sense.
View Quote
No, not really.  It wasn't that exceptional a jump.  She did it from ground level.  She might have used one the many iron baskets that were around the tree, or perhaps a pile of dead bodies to get a little extra height, but we never saw her more than a couple of feet off the ground.  In the scene there is the appearance of arc to her trajectory.

With that said, Arya was presented as being fast and agile, and demonstrated some fairly impressive physical performances throughout the series.  Including some I don't think an Olympic runner could accomplish.

The normal level of suspension of disbelief used to watch and enjoy GOT was more than enough for me to believe the character Arya could have accomplish killing the Night King the way she did.  I can find no problem with it at all.   There are a number of ways it could have happened.  None of which exceed Arya's level of skill, evidenced from previous episodes.
Link Posted: 5/1/2019 3:09:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote
Wrong. Zip lines.....

Link Posted: 5/1/2019 3:10:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

So when all hope is lost and the army of dead is on the verge of complete destruction on Winterfell.....

It’s suddenly stopped by a girl flying through air to make the kill.....

Nope, not even close to DeusExMachina.....

A Deus ex Machina (pron: /di??s ?ks mæk?n?/ for Britons, /de?u?s ?ks m??k?n?/ for Americans; /deus eks ma?k?ina?/ in the orginal Latin) is when some new event, character, ability, or object solves a seemingly unsolvable problem in a sudden, unexpected way.
View Quote
Try again.  Remove event before character... "when some new character". NOT any character, but new. Such as a ghost boy who magically explains away everything that happened to Winterfell and asks you which color you prefer. Red, blue, or green.

Deity, all knowing, deus. Not a character within the story. Dang dude.
Link Posted: 5/1/2019 3:10:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Yep, its not close. Its the exact definition.
View Quote
Try again as well.
Link Posted: 5/1/2019 3:13:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Equipment used to make filming a slow motion sequence easy doesn't really support the argument you're making.
Link Posted: 5/1/2019 3:15:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
No, not really.  It wasn't that exceptional a jump.  She did it from ground level. She might have used one the many iron baskets that were around the tree, or perhaps a pile of dead bodies to get a little extra height, but we never saw her more than a couple of feet off the ground.  In the scene there is the appearance of arc to her trajectory.

With that said, Arya was presented as being fast and agile, and demonstrated some fairly impressive physical performances throughout the series.  Including some I don't think an Olympic runner could accomplish.

The normal level of suspension of disbelief used to watch and enjoy GOT was more than enough for me to believe the character Arya could have accomplish killing the Night King the way she did.  I can find no problem with it at all.   There are a number of ways it could have happened.  None of which exceed Arya's level of skill, evidenced from previous episodes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, not really.  It wasn't that exceptional a jump.  She did it from ground level. She might have used one the many iron baskets that were around the tree, or perhaps a pile of dead bodies to get a little extra height, but we never saw her more than a couple of feet off the ground.  In the scene there is the appearance of arc to her trajectory.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/1/2019 3:17:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

No, not really.  It wasn't that exceptional a jump.  She did it from ground level.  She might have used one the many iron baskets that were around the tree, or perhaps a pile of dead bodies to get a little extra height, but we never saw her more than a couple of feet off the ground.  In the scene there is the appearance of arc to her trajectory.

View Quote
Only if you believe in magical speed. Apply any real world logic and it fails. Agile/skill does not equal world class speed. No evidence of that. Her short stature and body type says no way. Prove me wrong. I have no issue with what happened and who did what but the way it was done with lazy and sloppy writing sucks. To many wtf moments. You basically have to have a large imagination to believe the way some things happen like speed traveling vast distances.
Link Posted: 5/1/2019 3:19:54 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Try again as well.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep, its not close. Its the exact definition.
Try again as well.
I see that you and your trailer survived the tornadoes!

It pleases me.
Link Posted: 5/1/2019 3:22:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Right, the actress Maisie Williams needed zip lines and harnesses, with CGI thrown in, to play Arya Stark in that scene.  I feel sure there many others instances like this used to get the image the directors where looking for.  I never said I thought Maisie Williams was capable of doing what Arya did, but I doubt many of the actors really could do what their characters accomplished.

Here's the video all that work produced.

I'm always amazed at what filmmakers can accomplish.

I'm sure we can find all sorts of behind the scene pictures of zip lines, tracks, hoists, padding, and green screen shots to shoot the scenes of GOT ... wouldn't you agree?
Link Posted: 5/1/2019 3:24:21 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Only if you believe in magical speed. Apply any real world logic and it fails. Agile/skill does not equal world class speed. No evidence of that. Her short stature and body type says no way. Prove me wrong. I have no issue with what happened and who did what but the way it was done with lazy and sloppy writing sucks. To many wtf moments. You basically have to have a large imagination to believe the way some things happen like speed traveling vast distances.
View Quote
Which takes a larger imagination:

A) Large, fire spitting lizards roasting zombies from the sky

B) A 5' girl, trained by a mysterious and mythical order of ninja-like assassins, jumping like Lebron James
Link Posted: 5/1/2019 3:26:49 PM EDT
[#23]
Just found out they used computer generated dragons instead of the real thing.  So fucking pissed right now.  Literally shaking.
Link Posted: 5/1/2019 3:30:00 PM EDT
[#24]
Well, she is tiny. They needed her that high just to get the camera shot.
Link Posted: 5/1/2019 3:31:07 PM EDT
[#25]
Unfortunately I think the ending of this episode is the start of really bad writing similar to the north of the wall stuff from last season. I predict most character story lines will be wrapped up in a incongruent manner with them doing things that are out of their normal character. We will prolly see a couple really bad twists too.

But I hope not.
Link Posted: 5/1/2019 3:31:28 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

She did evade wights in the library
White Walkers, while great in face to face combat, did seem susceptible to sneak attack.
Sam Tarly actually got one with a dagger in the back. Tarly
Not exactly sneaky.
View Quote
That WW essentially ignores Sam and walks by him after shattering his sword and knocking him 15 feet.

Nothing sneaky about it other than the dragonglass.

[youtube]ps5iGu7-b4E?t=354[/youtube]

So yeah, they are exceptionally arrogant creatures who believe themselves above humans reach...ooops!
Link Posted: 5/1/2019 3:31:53 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

B) A 5' girl, trained by a mysterious and mythical order of ninja-like assassins, jumping like Lebron James
View Quote
Both take a lot of imagination was my point the way it was written. Like the trampoline jump of destiny. Saying you believe it could happen that way cuz of skillz is ridiculous.

I hate lazy writing...
Link Posted: 5/1/2019 3:33:24 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Right, the actress Maisie Williams needed zip lines and harnesses, with CGI thrown in, to play Arya Stark in that scene.  I feel sure there many others instances like this used to get the image the directors where looking for.  I never said I thought Maisie Williams was capable of doing what Arya did, but I doubt many of the actors really could do what their characters accomplished.

Here's the video all that work produced.

https://thecrazywatchers.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/anigif_sub-buzz-6273-1556511276-1.gif

I'm always amazed at what filmmakers can accomplish.

I'm sure we can find all sorts of behind the scene pictures of zip lines, tracks, hoists, padding, and green screen shots to shoot the scenes of GOT ... wouldn't you agree?
View Quote
I’m not disagreeing with any of that.

My issue is that all the human character’s abilities are normal abilities. The only super power we’ve seen any of them have is resistance to fire and ability to disguise themselves.

Until the battle against the night king..... suddenly we have flying people.
Link Posted: 5/1/2019 3:34:10 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

B) A 5' girl, trained by a mysterious and mythical order of ninja-like assassins, flying like Superman.
View Quote
Fixed.
Link Posted: 5/1/2019 3:36:21 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote
We're at an impasse.

The normal level of suspension of disbelief that I use to watch, and enjoy, Game of Thrones was more than enough for me to accept what happened in the episode.  It wasn't for you. You didn't like.  We're arguing about our subjective opinion of a fictional work.

There is nothing more I can say.  Because we're talking about an imaginary world, filled with magic and make believe.  It's not the real world, objective reality simply doesn't apply.  Nothing in the series could really happen, it's an imaginary fantasy.
Link Posted: 5/1/2019 3:36:51 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

The Night King and Snoke are the same character now.

No motivation, no explanation, just a bad guy that was bad because bad then died from a silly trick.
View Quote
No explanation? They SHOWED how he was created. They explained his motivations. They showed him making white walkers. What more do you want?
Link Posted: 5/1/2019 3:38:53 PM EDT
[#32]
Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 5/1/2019 3:39:33 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote
The fairy tale ended in season 1 when Ned Stark Died
Or season 3 when Robb Stark Died
Link Posted: 5/1/2019 3:40:22 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Well, she is tiny. They needed her that high just to get the camera shot.
View Quote
Right.  Directors have to do all sorts of things that look off, until the editing.  In the scene, it came out looking completely different.

In the scene, it looked right.  In its making it looked weird and contrived.  The final product is what counts.  You can even see the arc to her jump.  It appears she is no more than maybe couple of feet off the ground.
Link Posted: 5/1/2019 3:42:47 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

We're at an impasse.

The normal level of suspension of disbelief that I use to watch, and enjoy, Game of Thrones was more than enough for me to accept what happened in the episode.  It wasn't for you. You didn't like.  We're arguing about our subjective opinion of a fictional work.

There is nothing more I can say.  Because we're talking about an imaginary world, filled with magic and make believe.  It's not the real world, objective reality simply doesn't apply.  Nothing in the series could really happen, it's an imaginary fantasy.
View Quote
Not arguing just debating. It's good to discuss this stuff. Gets other viewpoints out there. Unfortunately we have no choice but to accept it because that was the way it was written.
Link Posted: 5/1/2019 3:43:10 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
1 is satisfied, but every plot element has that.
2 is satisfied because she suddenly appeared in mid-air, in the open, surrounded by enemy soldiers
3 is satisfied because all appeared lost until Arya magically flying in.
4 is satisfied because Arya spent the entire series training so she could cross name off her list. She knew nothing of the army of the dead until arrived in winterfell. She’s never battled them, hell shes never seen them until this episode. Her plot line could have never happened and series would still have gotten here. She was of zero importance to it.

If it fails one point it is not Deus ex machina.

It satisfied all the points.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

from the link:

Note that there are a number of requirements for a sudden plot development to be a Deus ex Machina:

1    Deus ex Machina are solutions to a problem. They are never unexpected developments that make things worse, nor sudden twists that only change the understanding of a story.
2    Deus ex Machina are sudden or unexpected. This means that even if they are featured, referenced or set-up earlier in the story, they do not change the course of nor appear as a natural or a viable solution to the plotline they eventually "solve".
3    Deus ex Machina are used to resolve a situation portrayed as unsolvable or hopeless. If the problem could be solved with a bit of common sense or other type of simple intervention, the solution is not a Deus ex Machina no matter how unexpected it may seem.
4    Deus ex Machina are external to the characters and their choices throughout the story. The solution comes from a character with small or non-existent influence on the plot until that point or random chance from nature or karma.
1 is satisfied, but every plot element has that.
2 is satisfied because she suddenly appeared in mid-air, in the open, surrounded by enemy soldiers
3 is satisfied because all appeared lost until Arya magically flying in.
4 is satisfied because Arya spent the entire series training so she could cross name off her list. She knew nothing of the army of the dead until arrived in winterfell. She’s never battled them, hell shes never seen them until this episode. Her plot line could have never happened and series would still have gotten here. She was of zero importance to it.

If it fails one point it is not Deus ex machina.

It satisfied all the points.
2 has been explained repeatedly in this thread.  Arya did not appear in mid-air, she ran and jumped at the NK.  The enemy wights and WW were ordered by the NK to stand down and do nothing so it was easier to get past them.  It was the perfect moment to strike.  It was completely foreshadowed and well setup.
3 The plan all along was to kill the NK as the battle against the army of the dead was hopeless to begin with.  It wasn't the original plan but its an obvious solution to send an assassin in to kill the enemy leader.
4 The same argument could be made about Dany and the dragons fighting the dead.  Her motivation was to take the Iron Throne not fight the dead.  Its irrelevant, motivations change.  Arya wanted to finish her list (even though a lot of them died or she changed her mind about some people) but then in S7 she realized protecting her family was more important.  Her whole story arc was set in motion by Jon Snow giving her needle in S1.  Arya was there because of the choices of many characters and it was well set up.  If Arya didn't return to Winterfell in S7 but just happened to show up at this battle it would be different.

I get that everyone is upset that prophesy didn't get fulfilled the way they wanted it to.  The show is full of people trying to force prophesy into their situation and it didn't work out.  Jon Snow was able to organize and command the army that would defend against the dead.  He started training and set in motion the events that would lead Arya to be the one to deal the fatal blow to the NK.
Link Posted: 5/1/2019 3:44:17 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Just found out they used computer generated dragons instead of the real thing.  So fucking pissed right now.  Literally shaking.
View Quote
That made me spit water on my keyboard.
Link Posted: 5/1/2019 3:44:53 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Fixed.
View Quote

Superman flies through 2500 ft skyscrapers in Metropolis, Arya has like a 3 foot vertical and the long jump of an olympic athlete. Totally the same.
Link Posted: 5/1/2019 3:54:34 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

2 has been explained repeatedly in this thread.  Arya did not appear in mid-air, she ran and jumped at the NK.  The enemy wights and WW were ordered by the NK to stand down and do nothing so it was easier to get past them.  It was the perfect moment to strike.  It was completely foreshadowed and well setup.
3 The plan all along was to kill the NK as the battle against the army of the dead was hopeless to begin with.  It wasn't the original plan but its an obvious solution to send an assassin in to kill the enemy leader.
4 The same argument could be made about Dany and the dragons fighting the dead.  Her motivation was to take the Iron Throne not fight the dead.  Its irrelevant, motivations change.  Arya wanted to finish her list (even though a lot of them died or she changed her mind about some people) but then in S7 she realized protecting her family was more important.  Her whole story arc was set in motion by Jon Snow giving her needle in S1.  Arya was there because of the choices of many characters and it was well set up.  If Arya didn't return to Winterfell in S7 but just happened to show up at this battle it would be different.

I get that everyone is upset that prophesy didn't get fulfilled the way they wanted it to.  The show is full of people trying to force prophesy into their situation and it didn't work out.  Jon Snow was able to organize and command the army that would defend against the dead.  He started training and set in motion the events that would lead Arya to be the one to deal the fatal blow to the NK.
View Quote
I would have been fine with Theon pulling the spear out of his chest and ramming it up the night kings ass as he stepped over him. I would be fine if wildling archer #87 hit him with arrow to the knee from across the godswood. Hell, I would have been fine with the night king stepping on a trap buried in the show.

But instead we get flying assassins. We should have seen that coming all along.
Link Posted: 5/1/2019 4:02:09 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Unfortunately I think the ending of this episode is the start of really bad writing similar to the north of the wall stuff from last season. I predict most character story lines will be wrapped up in a incongruent manner with them doing things that are out of their normal character. We will prolly see a couple really bad twists too.

But I hope not.
View Quote
That is usually the case with the last seasons of good shows. They just try to wrap it all up and get it done and over with. it is impossible to please everyone. Dexter was my favorite show, but the last season sucked. Deadwood was another, but last few episodes were ehh. Shows with really good story lines and character build ups have to end at some point, and trying to wrap all of that up is going to leave some holes. They might do a movie at some point
Link Posted: 5/1/2019 4:02:34 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Superman flies through 2500 ft skyscrapers in Metropolis, Arya has like a 3 foot vertical and the long jump of an olympic athlete. Totally the same.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fixed.

That pretty much sums up the problem here, and why there is such an impasse.

Hamiltbl2, and a few others look at Arya's jump and say fuckitall, there is no way that could happen!

Then there are others, myself included, that are seeing undead killing people, dragons flying around, fantastic fighting, superhuman displays of physicality, burning swords, immortal ice ghouls raising the dead, witches, giants, all kinds of magic, and we're are asking

... you have a problem with this?

... really?
Link Posted: 5/1/2019 4:02:47 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I see that you and your trailer survived the tornadoes!

It pleases me.
View Quote
We did, even picked up someone's satellite dish I'm certain i can refurbish.
Link Posted: 5/1/2019 4:07:48 PM EDT
[#43]
Arya's relationship with death.

From reddit, written out better than I could. https://old.reddit.com/r/gameofthrones/comments/bj3lmu/spoilers_there_is_only_one_god_and_his_name_is/
So I've been thinking a lot about why Arya was the one to kill the Night King. As many people have pointed out, the Night King has always been Jon's storyline - not Arya's. So what is Arya's storyline exactly? To be blunt: death.

?

season one: "There is only one god and his name is Death, and there is only one thing we say to Death: not today."
Click To View Spoiler
?

season two: Jaqen H'ghar, a servant of the Many-Faced God (AKA: Death), informs Arya that a debt is owed: three deaths, for the three lives she saved.
Click To View Spoiler

?

season three: Arya meets the Brotherhood Without Banners and sees the power of The Lord of Light, who is capable of resurrection.
Click To View Spoiler

?

season four: Arya travels with the Hound on a murder tour of Westeros, eventually becoming so used to death that it stops bothering her; this is also where Arya takes control of her own storyline

Click To View Spoiler

?

season five: Arya tries her hand at being a servant to the Many-Faced-God, learning that there is more to Death than she thought.

Click To View Spoiler

?

season six: Arya furthers her training as a servant to the Many-Faced-God, but rejects the ideology and takes her life into her own hands once more

Click To View Spoiler

?

season seven: Arya goes about her new life, killing those that she (as opposed to the House of Black and White) want dead but using the skills and philosophies they taught her. She is now in control of her life, and other peoples deaths.

Click To View Spoiler
?

So what has Arya's storyline been about? Death.

Arya knows Death. She has had his servants indebted to her, she has served him herself, she has avoided his grasp, and she has let others feel his wrath. She has seen the power of Death, the Many-Faced God, and she has seen the power of the Lord of Light. She knows they are both real. She knows that the Lord of Light wants her alive for something - has been resurrecting Beric and keeping him from Death for something, she knows that Death can be denied, and she knows that he's coming for her little brother.

?

To Arya, he's not the Night King. He's Death, and there's only one thing she needs say to him: not today.
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/1/2019 4:07:58 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote
We need a GoT safe space. Call it "Game of Untruths" and we can establish some reasonable boundaries about what is acceptable for this fantasy tv show.
Link Posted: 5/1/2019 4:13:37 PM EDT
[#45]
I'll kick the carcass of this horse...

From the maps of Winterfell I've seen, the library is adjacent to the godswood.

When Theon & Co first start seeing movement, it is my belief that the first movement they see is Arya coming from the library and taking up a position in the godswood in anticipation of the NK coming for Bran. She logically sees this as the best time to attack and in the end is proven correct. I have not taken the time to pause the scene in question and doubt that even if you did so that you could identify the person. She, of course, arrives just seconds before the dead and remains unnoticed during the entire fight between the dead and the ironborn.
Link Posted: 5/1/2019 4:15:30 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Wrong. Zip lines.....

Attachment Attached File
View Quote
I hate how Hollywood constantly uses this flying leap thing. It's in so many movies. I've never seen a human be able to jump like that.

So ridiculous.
Link Posted: 5/1/2019 4:15:48 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

That pretty much sums up the problem here, and why there is such an impasse.

Hamiltbl2, and a few others look at Arya's jump and say fuckitall, there is no way that could happen!

Then there are others, myself included, that are seeing undead killing people, dragons flying around, fantastic fighting, superhuman displays of physicality, burning swords, immortal ice ghouls raising the dead, witches, giants, all kinds of magic, and we're are asking

... you have a problem with this?

https://thecrazywatchers.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/anigif_sub-buzz-6273-1556511276-1.gif

... really?
View Quote
If you are attributing it to magical abilities no problem. If you think she has the actual physical skillz like continually insinuating no.

I call it to lazy writing while others here think its brilliant writing. Sorry, not sorry.
Link Posted: 5/1/2019 4:23:28 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 5/1/2019 4:26:33 PM EDT
[#49]
Has GRRM commented on the episode?  Was wondering if it turned out as he planned and he trolled us with a false prophecy from the beginning.
Link Posted: 5/1/2019 4:27:00 PM EDT
[#50]
FFS, the Night King had just walked through stacks of bodies and stopped in front of them, Arya could have launched herself off of any of them giving her jump both more height and more distance.

Not to mention the Night King had blasted the hole in the wall next to the Hunter's Gate which is literally right next to Arya's last known location around the library tower.

Next, try running past someone with long hair. It'll wave in the breeze. You don't need super speed for that.

Can we move on to another argument?
Page / 358
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top