User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 9:54:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

@TribunusSanGeorgii that looks awesome! Did you build that from plans or just kinda make it up? I should/could do the same.
View Quote

I just kinda made it up with scraps that I had.  I cut a 1/2 board into 1" strips for the shelf supports, and used 1/4"ply for the shelves.  The sides are melamine, and the top and bottom is oak flooring.  lol

However, I've moved 3 times since I've made it and it doesn't really fit my new space.  I think I'm going to take it apart and start new, maybe make it so it fits underneath my work bench.

Link Posted: 4/27/2021 2:54:24 PM EDT
[#2]
For those using the HF parts bins, there are a bunch of files on thingiverse to 3d print bins of different sizes both larger and smaller than the included.

I'm printing some of these right now.

And a whole bunch more options
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 4:41:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
For those using the HF parts bins, there are a bunch of files on thingiverse to 3d print bins of different sizes both larger and smaller than the included.

I'm printing some of these right now.

And a whole bunch more options
View Quote

How much to mail me one if I don’t have a 3D printer?
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 4:46:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

How much to mail me one if I don’t have a 3D printer?
View Quote

IM sent
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 5:05:54 PM EDT
[#5]

@Jarcese - details on where you found these?
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 5:12:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

@Jarcese - details on where you found these?
View Quote

I didn't build those, but here is the Garage Journal Forum Build.  I built something similar, but not as nice.
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 5:16:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Save the aggravation. Junk them and get the right fasteners for the job when you need them.  A decent organization system that breaks down nuts by size, fasteners by size, screws from bolts from machine screws, washers by size, will cost more than all that shit is worth. Keep a couple trays of everyday small screws about and donate the rest to the landfill.
View Quote

This man spits the truth. I used to go to junkyards for miscellaneous nuts & bolts for projects. In the end, it was cheaper and a lot less bs to identify what I need and buy it on eBay. $120 got me a year’s supply of hardware and it’s all quality stuff.

Sometimes the “cost saving” ideas cost more in the long run. Buying hardware would up being cheaper than the near free stuff at a scrap yard.
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 6:23:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

This man spits the truth. I used to go to junkyards for miscellaneous nuts & bolts for projects. In the end, it was cheaper and a lot less bs to identify what I need and buy it on eBay. $120 got me a year’s supply of hardware and it’s all quality stuff.

Sometimes the “cost saving” ideas cost more in the long run. Buying hardware would up being cheaper than the near free stuff at a scrap yard.
View Quote

So how do you store you're left over new hardware?
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 7:34:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Save the aggravation. Junk them and get the right fasteners for the job when you need them.  A decent organization system that breaks down nuts by size, fasteners by size, screws from bolts from machine screws, washers by size, will cost more than all that shit is worth. Keep a couple trays of everyday small screws about and donate the rest to the landfill.

Your logic is flawed, by agreeing with that the standard you would be throwing out that $120 of hardware once you where done with whatever project you bought it for.....

Link Posted: 4/27/2021 7:42:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Your logic is flawed, by agreeing with that the standard you would be throwing out that $120 of hardware once you where done with whatever project you bought it for.....

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

There is a time savings to be considered also.

I have bought most of my hardware in partial boxes at garage sales. Half or better a box of screws for a quarter.

Having a good organizational system (which I didnt buy all at once) let's me take advantage of such deals and have the screw or bolt I need on hand 9 times out of 10.

Going to the hardware store to buy the 4 drywall screws i needed tonight would have tripled what was a 15 min project.

That being said, I don't try to reuse fasters. Used screws and nails get trashed.
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 8:06:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
... my vast collection of random fasteners I've accumulated from various projects over the years.
View Quote
find a way to accumulate the little plastic (and big plastic, metal or wood) drawers. I buy any I can find at yard sales and currently have more drawer space than I need. I never thought that would happen and I will fill them with something eventually, but find a way to accumulate storage as fast as you accumulate other shit and you will be fine.

Link Posted: 4/27/2021 8:14:15 PM EDT
[#12]
I keep a dozen of each size or so from #8 through 1/2” hardware around, and roughly the same size for metric, in some plastic harbor freight bins..

There’s always something in the farm or at the cabin that needs fixing and depending where I’m at a parts run may be a 30 mile drive.
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 8:39:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
i think it has more to do with the self discipline of getting them organized and keeping them organized. than the physical system you use to organize them.
View Quote

People have to be disciplined enough to actually learn what to do with them before keeping and organizing them even becomes an issue.

Look at how much of GD just foists their ride off on Jiffy Lube and never services or fixes anything.
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 8:58:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Buy a bolt bin that's bigger than you think you'll need.

I live in the woods so for me it's worth having hardware on hand.
View Quote

Yep and I strip nuts and bolts off things before they go in the trash
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 9:36:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I buy bolts for $1.50 lb. I make sure I get every size they have and as much as I can afford. It had saved me thousands of dollars over the years. I can't afford to spend time chasing what I need. Only special stuff gets ordered. It's not cheap to order bolts on Ebay anymore.
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 6:47:51 PM EDT
[#17]
This is a picture of a section of my bolt stock.

If you can't find it you really don't have it. I realized how much time I wasted looking through stacked bins and the stupid amount of money I spent on hardware store bolts.  I only go to the hardware if I have to.

I sort bolts and cap screws, with some bolt sizes sorted for flat head, button head, and low head cap screws if the number of screws requires it.

I've got 35 bins of bolts and machine screws of every type and size I could buy for $1.50 lb for grade 5 and $3 lb for grade 8.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top