Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 8/10/2022 12:35:19 PM EDT
Seeing this photo in the Red Dawn thread reminded me of a time when every young male carried at least a folding Buck knife on his belt, just like his dad. Born in 74’ and was commonplace in the early 80s. Now every kid carries a phone instead.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 12:36:44 PM EDT
[#1]
I would say more people carry knives now than then, just not at school.
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 12:37:26 PM EDT
[#2]
We all carried the Schrade Old Timer version.  Back when they were still made in the USA. Still got it.
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 12:37:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Do we have some kind of "OK boomer" expression for aging Gen X-ers?

Aging Gen-Xer here
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 12:37:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Another Gen-X is best Gen thread.  All other gens are pussies.

Link Posted: 8/10/2022 12:38:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
We carried in Elementary school.

When "butterfly knives" became popular from all the 80's Ninja movies, then they started telling us to keep them at home.
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 12:38:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Same here. I recall being in high school chemistry class and the teacher was fixing a Bunsen burner. She turned to the class and said, "Does anyone have a knife? I need one for a minute."

Every guy in the class pulled out a pocketknife, and a few girls had one in their purse. Teacher took the nearest person's knife, fixed the burner, handed it back and continued the lesson. No one thought anything of it.

Now you'd have a school lockdown and suspension for your nail clippers.
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 12:39:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

And I got the knife to prove it!
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 12:39:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Carried a Buck 110 until they got on us how a blade that locks for safety reasons is illegal.  We were never told why.
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 12:39:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Edit: Double tap.
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 12:41:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Carried a Buck 110 until they got on us how a blade that locks for safety reasons is illegal.  We were never told why.
View Quote
That was dumb of them.
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 12:42:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Aging Gen-Xer here
View Quote

OK Xoomer
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 12:43:07 PM EDT
[#12]
It was mandatory when I was growing up.
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 12:47:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

When "butterfly knives" became popular from all the 80's Ninja movies, then they started telling us to keep them at home.
View Quote
That's not how I remember it.  I recall practicing with butterfly knives while we waited in the school lobby before (6-8th grade) before classes started.  I don't recall anyone every saying anything about it, or the switchblades that we passed around class.  Then again, they only got anxious about guns if you brought them in the building.  Cars were fine.
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 12:47:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Yup - I carried a Buck Knife on my belt in HS in DC.
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 12:49:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Aging Gen-Xer here
View Quote

Not until they start giving irrelevant unsolicited advice. Till then they’re just slowly replacing the boomers as the generation taking all the dick pills and Low T supplements.
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 12:49:13 PM EDT
[#16]
I remember in highschool teachers borrowing my pocket knife.
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 12:51:02 PM EDT
[#17]
I have had a knife on me for the last 25ish years. My 11 year old has a couple. When he was 8, he snuck it to the creek without telling us to impress a girl. Trying to use it to pry a rock out of the bank he gashed his thumb. He freaked out we would be mad, but I explained it was a lesson he needed to learn.
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 12:51:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Lots of kids had pocket knives when I was in school in mid 2000s
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 12:51:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Still do. Every day. I've had boomers search me out at work and at church because they needed a knife and knew I had one. In my mind I'm like, "now you see its utility; when will you start carrying one?"
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 12:53:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 12:53:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Several many rural towns still carry knifes.
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 12:53:28 PM EDT
[#22]
Gen-X'er here, we all did when we were younger boys in elementary school.  Almost every boy carried a knife.  Lots of Swiss Army knives all over the place.
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 12:53:29 PM EDT
[#23]
A gun rack in the back of a pickup truck parked in a school parking lot with the windows down and not a second glance.  It was taken for granted.
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 12:54:01 PM EDT
[#24]
I carried a pocket knife in HS, not one on my belt.  We live in a smaller town and my son and a lot of his friends carry pocket knives and the school hasn't even brought it up.
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 12:54:05 PM EDT
[#25]
Your generation stabbed the fuck out of each other with them like a bunch of lost boys cosplayers. Caused the Karen's of your gen to basically make carrying one in or around a school a heinous crime. Hence by the time millennials were in school we hardly ever carried them and they were seen as weapons and not tools.
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 12:55:16 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
We all carried the Schrade Old Timer version.  Back when they were still made in the USA. Still got it.
View Quote

I no longer have my original Old Timer like the buck knife. I do still have my smaller 3 blade OT. The blades are a lot smaller than you used to be. In fact it’s dangerous to carry in the pocket now.
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 12:55:27 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

Confirmed.

GenX checking in who still always carries his knife.
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 12:56:16 PM EDT
[#28]
Laughs in boomerism . . . I don't think I've been without a knife in my pocket since I was in the third grade (about 1958).

Graduated HS in 1968 and everyone carried a knife.  During the fall bird hunting seasons every guy in HS had a shotgun in their car and a lot of guys even kept a SG in their hall locker at school.

You could buy your hunting license, and all the ammo you wanted, at the corner drugstore a block down from the HS.

Better times.

Link Posted: 8/10/2022 12:57:59 PM EDT
[#29]
If a farmer or redneck doesn’t have a knife he’s not much good.

I carry either a fixed blade or one of several folders, a multi tool sometimes, even my key ring has a blade on it
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 1:01:36 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The knife I carried at school is on my desk right now.
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 1:01:42 PM EDT
[#31]
His first knife was one of an American boy's rites of passage.
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 1:01:49 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
That's not how I remember it.  I recall practicing with butterfly knives while we waited in the school lobby before (6-8th grade) before classes started.  I don't recall anyone every saying anything about it, or the switchblades that we passed around class.  Then again, they only got anxious about guns if you brought them in the building.  Cars were fine.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Young kids were flipping the butterfly knives around like they’d see in the movies and getting cut or dropping them, so they told us to leave those at home. This was around 83’ or 84’. Buck knives were still okay.
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 1:02:44 PM EDT
[#33]
I've commented on that several times over the years.    Growing up we all carried knives.    It seems that not that long after I graduated the schools started prohibiting carrying knives and it's my theory that boys just never got in the habit because the couldn't carry them most of the time.   I pretty much always have a multi tool and a knife on me.
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 1:03:36 PM EDT
[#34]
Most of us went from belt sheath to pocket clip, but yeah.

Also schools are a LOT less lenient to knives and etc. than they were when we were kids.
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 1:06:47 PM EDT
[#35]
I got my first knife when I was five years old and saw a pearl-handled two-blade pen knife at the PX that I really liked.

My Dad bought it for me and I still have it 61 Boomer years later.

Have always carried a knife, even in school. My teachers all had a knife in their pocket, too.

ETA: In junior high, we more likely carried a Mexican (Japanese) Rizzuto switchblade, because switchblade.
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 1:06:54 PM EDT
[#36]
Every boy of every decade wants to carry a knife.  I let mine carry wherever he wants except on a plane.

I let mine. My grandfather would yell at me if I didn’t have a knife.

Used to carry knives on planes like it weren’t no thang

Link Posted: 8/10/2022 1:08:55 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Your generation stabbed the fuck out of each other with them like a bunch of lost boys cosplayers. Caused the Karen's of your gen to basically make carrying one in or around a school a heinous crime. Hence by the time millennials were in school we hardly ever carried them and they were seen as weapons and not tools.
View Quote

I don’t remember anyone in my school ever being stabbed.
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 1:20:28 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

I don't ever remember stabbing anybody with my knife.
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 1:20:41 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Seeing this photo in the Red Dawn thread reminded me of a time when every young male carried at least a folding Buck knife on his belt, just like his dad. Born in 74’ and was commonplace in the early 80s. Now every kid carries a phone instead.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/259519/A8AB0E01-6606-4FEA-B445-695FE56ED523_jpe-2483895.JPG
View Quote

Nitpick:  That's Jed (Swayze's character) with his back to the camera.  He wasn't a schoolkid (it's unstated, but implied he had graduated some time ago).
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 1:22:52 PM EDT
[#40]
I graduated from high school in 1975.  I carried a folding Buck 110 in a sheath on my belt every day from age 15 through college and beyond.  I still carry a folding knife all the time, except where it is prohibited e.g. courthouses, schools, police stations, etc.
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 1:31:43 PM EDT
[#41]
Young men? I regularly make fun of gen x coworkers that need to borrow a knife. I live in AR too, I would think there would be more rednecks.

I've noticed IT people generally have one though.
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 1:38:11 PM EDT
[#42]
No one needs a high capacity assault knife
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 1:38:14 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Now you'd have a school lockdown and suspension for your nail clippers.
View Quote

We had a girl (17) slit her wrists with tweezers in the girls bathroom.

Anythings a knife if your dedicated enough.
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 1:41:10 PM EDT
[#44]
My dad gave me his dad's (never met him, died before I was born) Barlow as my first knife. I still have it. I'm 56. Dad has passed too. Some reason, I have about 6 Barlow knives now. They seem to multiply.

Semi-unrelated story from one of my students at the end of class one day.

Student: You know you have a knife clipped on the inside of your pocket?
Me: Yes, and?
Student: Oh nothing, it doesn't bother ME, but I'm just sayin'

I teach on a community college campus.
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 1:42:44 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Aging Gen-Xer here
View Quote

I hope there isn't one
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 1:43:04 PM EDT
[#46]
I had an old Barlow two blade knife.
Upgraded to a Swiss army knife thanks to MacGyver.
I have a spyderco now.
Nothing like a good pocket knife.
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 1:44:07 PM EDT
[#47]
I still have my first knife. Buck 110 I got for my 10th Birthday.
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 1:45:03 PM EDT
[#48]
I remember going into town with some friends to get some drinks at a gas station. We walked there from the woods we had been playing in that hot summer day artillery each wearing our Bowie knives. We were 11 or 12 years old.

Cop stopped us about a block from the gas station and asked us, “What are you doing?”.  

We told him getting some drinks.

He explained we needed to leave our Bowie knives outside town and he’d see us at the scout meeting on Saturday as he was our Scout Master

Those were the good old days!
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 1:45:05 PM EDT
[#49]
I carried a army survival knife everywhere.  Sure it was the length is my forearm but you never know when you might need fish hooks and string or to suture a wound.
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 1:46:13 PM EDT
[#50]
I still carry a knife.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top