Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 9:23:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Born in ‘98 here…everyone I knew carried a knife every day outside school. I still do. My area is more rural, but most the girls had knives too.
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 9:31:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I would say more people carry knives now than then, just not at school.
View Quote
I would agree...more people carry a knife today than we did in the 70s. We grew up, and now Gen X are adults...and most of us carry a folder in out pocket every day
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 9:33:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
His first knife was one of an American boy's rites of passage.
View Quote

Two years ago I gave my son a Buck 110 at age 11.
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 9:37:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Used to carry a Swiss Army knife to middle and high school in the 80's.
Now I carry something a little less utilitarian and a lot more pointy.
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 9:45:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I made sure my boys have always had a knife to carry when we’re together. If they don’t bring theirs or lose it, they don’t get to use mine.

They take them everywhere and haven’t lost them. I started them out with $25 sog academy type knives and because they took good care of them, I bought them some midrange auto knives for Christmas.

A couple of years ago, I bought my gf’s son a kabar for Christmas.
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/10/2022 9:46:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
My dad gave me his dad's (never met him, died before I was born) Barlow as my first knife. I still have it. I'm 56. Dad has passed too. Some reason, I have about 6 Barlow knives now. They seem to multiply.

Semi-unrelated story from one of my students at the end of class one day.

Student: You know you have a knife clipped on the inside of your pocket?
Me: Yes, and?
Student: Oh nothing, it doesn't bother ME, but I'm just sayin'

I teach on a community college campus.
View Quote
Some peoples kids.............

Link Posted: 8/10/2022 9:48:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
As gen x ages, our value will be tested. Will we continue being awesome or will we start doing old man boomer shit like:

"BaCk in MaH dAy BoiS caRried bElt kNivEs liKe tHeir dAddY not phonEs!"
View Quote
Sadly I think we are already starting to do something like that, but fuck em, with age comes not giving a fuck.  So we now have a surplus -fuck!

Link Posted: 8/10/2022 9:52:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

In the Ozarks boys still carry knives to school.
View Quote
You can send a Hillbilly to school, but he will still be a Hillbilly.  Just be glad you dont hear "you got mighty purty lips for a man".  
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 9:53:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

My man.

Brothers, our generation is at a cross roads.  Pop culture is appealing to our generation's nostalgia with our music in Marvel movies, The Batman, and the Super Bowl.  Netflix is putting out documentaries from our generation like "Trainwreck: Woodstock '99", like its some kind of Vietnam documentary.  And the first time I heard Pearl Jam played on the local classic rock station, I died a little.

Let us not go down the path of calling all modern music trash because we can't appreciate it, or saying that kids today are worse than us because of some petty crap in a vain attempt to ignore our own inadequacies, or spend our days telling people about our joint pains.

Instead, let us continue doing what makes us us.  Lets go home to an empty house, eat cold cereal while watching TV and not opening the door for anyone, and doing what we like while not caring about what anyone else thinks.
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/10/2022 9:56:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Do we have some kind of "OK boomer" expression for aging Gen X-ers?

Aging Gen-Xer here
View Quote

BFT 2.0, 3.0, 4.0...

(Boomer Fuck Trophy...)
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 10:02:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
That's not how I remember it.  I recall practicing with butterfly knives while we waited in the school lobby before (6-8th grade) before classes started.  I don't recall anyone every saying anything about it, or the switchblades that we passed around class.  Then again, they only got anxious about guns if you brought them in the building.  Cars were fine.
View Quote

I remember one kid brought his grandfather's Luger in a shoe box of parts and coach put it back together for him during class so his dad didn't bear his ass.
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 10:26:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

When one of my students has a knife clip showing, I quietly ask them to put it someplace inconspicuous so they don't get expelled by the Karens that infest public education.
View Quote
Right on!

Link Posted: 8/10/2022 10:30:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

we had one in 8th grade, more of a fuck up with an otf.
it supposively didnt close and this fat kid got stuck in the belly.
(like the only fat kid in the entire school)
View Quote
Only one I can remember I was the stabber, not with a knife, but a #2 pencil.  I was a lil shit and always picked on, the other fellow thought it was great fun to walk the row in the library and hit me in the gut as he got to the end of the row, we had desks at the end of the double rows. he came from the left, I spun right and stuck him in the bicep..... 3 days ISS, and he never messed with me again.
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 10:31:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

BFT 2.0, 3.0, 4.0...

(Boomer Fuck Trophy...)
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/10/2022 11:07:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Born and raised in upstate Ny, in the 70's and 80's. It is rural, apple orchards, lots of woods and farms. Most of the guys and some girls , during hunting season, would go hunting in the am before school started, leave the field and go directly to school, and then go back out in the evening after school. Many of us would show off new rifles we may have gotten for Christmas or from a family member that handed it down, right there in the school parking lot, no big deal for anyone. Some would still have their fixed blade knife still strapped on their belt in class. Even when there were fights, it was handled with fists and then it was over. No one ever thought to use a knife or a gun to settle any problems. We even had a student smoking section outside the building. We do not have a gun problem, but we do have a problem with people who are willing tgo carry out the acts we see played out. Something has changed, and it's not guns, it's the people.
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 11:07:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Born and raised in upstate Ny, in the 70's and 80's. It is rural, apple orchards, lots of woods and farms. Most of the guys and some girls , during hunting season, would go hunting in the am before school started, leave the field and go directly to school, and then go back out in the evening after school. Many of us would show off new rifles we may have gotten for Christmas or from a family member that handed it down, right there in the school parking lot, no big deal for anyone. Some would still have their fixed blade knife still strapped on their belt in class. Even when there were fights, it was handled with fists and then it was over. No one ever thought to use a knife or a gun to settle any problems. We even had a student smoking section outside the building. We do not have a gun problem, but we do have a problem with people who are willing tgo carry out the acts we see played out. Something has changed, and it's not guns, it's the people.
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 12:30:04 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I would agree...more people carry a knife today than we did in the 70s. We grew up, and now Gen X are adults...and most of us carry a folder in out pocket every day
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree with this.  Some of us carried pocket knives, though.  Started with a Boy Scout folder, then Swiss Army.  Nobody carried a knife on their belt...except my dad.  I feel naked without a knife.  Benchmade or Kershaw.

Early GenX here, 1965.
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 12:37:01 AM EDT
[#18]
I've carried a knife every day I can remember since ~5th grade, aside from a few in DC and other foreign countries.

Also,  I was born in '91.
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 12:46:28 AM EDT
[#19]
Yeah, I remember being able to take knives on planes too.

People fuck around and shit changes however.
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 12:55:09 AM EDT
[#20]
Rex Applegate Folder.
Buck 110
Still have them.

But these days I carry a leatherman in my pocket and a pocket clip utility blade knife.
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 12:57:37 AM EDT
[#21]
I used to carry a pocket knife to school all the time. One of my friends, his fell out of his pocket on the bus and some first grader snitched on him. He was suspended for a day.
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 1:00:25 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.
I’m in my 50’s and I sure as hell carry a knife more now than I ever did back then.

But I do remember shotguns and rifles in truck windows. So there’s that.
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 1:12:49 AM EDT
[#23]
Born 1970

Still have my 1st Swiss Army Kbife

Link Posted: 8/11/2022 1:36:18 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I’ve done my part to ensure every young man in my circle carries a knife.

The young women too. The church folk were a little weirded out when I gave my niece a purple Skallywag Aluminum Dagger for a confirmation gift.
View Quote

I have handed out quite a few Ontario Rat 1 knives to people who needed a knife and might actually carry one. They're only $25-ish on Amazon.
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 1:41:36 PM EDT
[#25]
I remember a time when EVERY young boy carried a knife
View Quote

Well, if you didn't grow up in a a large inner city......

A pocket knife in my area would of meant an arrest or worse.
Link Posted: 8/20/2022 10:57:50 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
I remember a time when EVERY young boy carried a knife

Dang.
Link Posted: 8/20/2022 11:04:46 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 8/20/2022 11:24:54 AM EDT
[#28]
Clearly remember, 1988, junior year in high school, my chemistry teacher asked for my knife so he could open a package.
Nobody batted an eye.  And he asked me just because I was the closest to him.

But along those lines...
1986, the high school I went to as a freshman had a student smoking room.
Link Posted: 8/20/2022 11:25:51 AM EDT
[#29]
Every boy has carried a knife at a certain age since ancient times.
Link Posted: 8/20/2022 11:27:57 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

Where is this retarded place that you'd be arrested for carrying a pocketknife?
Link Posted: 8/20/2022 11:29:51 AM EDT
[#31]
Late Gen-X here. Have always carried a mini Swiss Army knife on my keys. Have recently started carrying a USAF survival knife strapped to my boot. Guess OP is right.
Link Posted: 8/20/2022 11:37:45 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 8/20/2022 11:38:18 AM EDT
[#33]
My friends and I would play mumbly peg in middle school ala 1969..
Link Posted: 8/20/2022 11:38:23 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Another Gen-X is best Gen thread.  All other gens are pussies.

View Quote

QFT
Link Posted: 8/20/2022 11:41:44 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Nitpick:  That's Jed (Swayze's character) with his back to the camera.  He wasn't a schoolkid (it's unstated, but implied he had graduated some time ago).
View Quote

Yeah he was about 30 when they filmed that. His character was probably supposed to be a bit younger, but he'd still have been a Boomer.

Link Posted: 8/20/2022 11:51:20 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Yeah he was about 30 when they filmed that. His character was probably supposed to be a bit younger, but he'd still have been a Boomer.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nitpick:  That's Jed (Swayze's character) with his back to the camera.  He wasn't a schoolkid (it's unstated, but implied he had graduated some time ago).

I didn't want to drop an "actually"  but yeah Jed came to get his brother and friends when the Ivan's started falling from the sky. I don't think they ever said what Jed did prior if he had a job or was in college , etc. Did they?
Link Posted: 8/20/2022 11:55:47 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

1971 Gen X here.

Lots of us carried at school but I think in the 90s with the advent of Spyderco style pocket clip knives it was just more obvious somebody had a knife versus before that it was in your pocket and no one see it. Maybe we were the peak of the concealed means concealed movement lol.

Still got my very first pocket knife from Cub Scouts that my mom got me way back in the day.
Link Posted: 8/20/2022 12:02:01 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

We carried in Elementary school.

When "butterfly knives" became popular from all the 80's Ninja movies, then they started telling us to keep them at home.
View Quote
Yup
carried my buck 110 damn near everyday of HS,early 80's and it was pretty normal
never got into the butterfly knife hotness but I had several friends that did,some blood was spilled

the 80's were AWESOME!!!!
Link Posted: 8/20/2022 12:16:41 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Yup
carried my buck 110 damn near everyday of HS,early 80's and it was pretty normal
never got into the butterfly knife hotness but I had several friends that did,some blood was spilled

View Quote

I seriously miss the 80’s.
Link Posted: 8/20/2022 12:51:49 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yup

Yep, growing up in Canada I always had a knife on me.
I remember in high school a teacher was trying to open a box and almost all the boys in the classroom pulled out their knives to help.
I never saw a knife come out in a schoolyard fight though. There was a code we all followed.
Link Posted: 8/20/2022 1:05:29 PM EDT
[#41]
Sure did. Still do and feel lost without it at times

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/20/2022 1:14:51 PM EDT
[#42]
Most kids now days, outsie the rural red state kids, think knivies and guns are icky.
Link Posted: 8/20/2022 1:22:59 PM EDT
[#43]
We had moved to NY at the time and I was in 2nd grade when they made a big deal about suspending the 1st kid for bring a pocket knife to school.
Link Posted: 8/20/2022 1:50:00 PM EDT
[#44]
I still have my Cub Scout pocket knife, before that it was an el cheapo Barlow folder…
Link Posted: 8/20/2022 3:40:22 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

That was dumb of them.
View Quote

Now look up why Buck made the 112.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top